Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Remote Touch Navigation is terrible and backwards technology IMO

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-12, 09:33 AM
Individual
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Both are fine, my gripe is the graphics and resolution. This is 2011!!
I was thinking about this yesterday after leaving work yesterday, and it struck me when I was driving along a golf field and then looking at the nav screen thinking about how awful the graphics looked. Looking forward to the day when a manufacturer will make a jump and produce 3D and/or high resolution images for their nav screens.

Regarding the touch screen vs. remote, with having the touch screen nav right now, I like the joystick better. The joystick is within closer reach, there's less glare, no fingerprint stains, the screen is up higher and closer to driving view, and like others have mentioned, it allows for flexibility of center console design.

Maybe the next step is a touch screen panel where the joystick area is, to control the nav screen.

Last edited by Individual; 08-14-12 at 09:36 AM.
Old 08-14-12, 10:38 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

GX and LX are still touch screen. you can't have both with the way lexus cars are now. the idea with using remote touch is to have the screen up higher closer to the top of dash and more inset to avoid glare. at that position there is no way you can touch the screen safely for operation. if you use touch screen, then it's usually lower so you have to look farther away from the road
Old 08-14-12, 01:01 PM
Woodrow
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

When we got our 2010 RX, my wife and I both really disliked the remote, but I completely understand why they have to have it. As has been mentioned, the positioning of the screen makes a touch screen unrealistic, and probably unsafe. When I got an IS (which has a touch screen), I realized that it isn't the controller I dislike as much as the menu structure of the system. It forces you to use the remote for the most basic task, like moving between screens. Sometimes even within the same screen. Using the audio is the thing my wife likes least about the car. I have learned to use the steering wheel controls, but she either can't, or refuses. She tends to focus on driving, which is OK with me.

As much as I love the RX, there is no doubt in my mind my wife will want something else when the time comes to change cars, and the biggest reason will be how the radio works. Well. Maybe the seats, too ....
Old 08-14-12, 01:11 PM
LexFather

I agree that Lexus resolution/graphics are really behind. The 3D/birds eye view is superior and the new version I think in BMW scales the buildings. It looks amazing.

Remote Touch really is something you have to use on a regular basis to "get", its not user friendly like a touch-screen clearly. As stated interior design has changed. This is really our fault, we wanted bigger screens, well they gave them to us and now we have to use a controller

And again these new cars have so much more tech and features that the remote touch ties them all in instead of 1,000 buttons and ***** all over the place.

I'm still 50/50 on it.

Old 08-14-12, 02:31 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Lexus certainly could make a better resolution/graphic if they wanted. The LFA is living proof of that. Anyone who's been in a LFA recently can attest to it. The digital gauge cluster looks positively real and the navigation to the right of it looks completely out of place for a car of this caliber
Old 08-14-12, 11:12 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i don't think it's ever a question of ability. lexus trashed other brands on resolution and graphics years ago. but it's more of a question on execution. given how much other brands have caught up and what lexus could have done, i think they have put focus somewhere else
Old 08-15-12, 04:17 AM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

look at the crisp graphics of the Google Android Nexus 7 Tablet ($199) Navigation -

i'm wondering if Lexus should integrate a modified version of this into their vehicles?

i love factory-installed OEM but here's an interesting clean aftermarket mount of this same device -

Last edited by Gekko; 08-15-12 at 04:21 AM.
Old 08-15-12, 04:22 AM
NoLFA4U
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's so you can watch the road. Which is important.
Old 08-15-12, 09:07 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Android in a car would be pretty cool. But then again Im not a fan of in car navi anymore since every smartphone has navi
Old 08-15-12, 12:03 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

i've said for a while it's a bad idea putting these screens in cars because tech moves so fast they're obsolete as soon as the car hits the streets. better to adapt to enabling portable tech. my next car will not have factory nav if i can avoid it, unless it's 'unbelievable'
Old 08-16-12, 10:05 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I agree that Lexus resolution/graphics are really behind. The 3D/birds eye view is superior and the new version I think in BMW scales the buildings. It looks amazing.

Remote Touch really is something you have to use on a regular basis to "get", its not user friendly like a touch-screen clearly. As stated interior design has changed. This is really our fault, we wanted bigger screens, well they gave them to us and now we have to use a controller

And again these new cars have so much more tech and features that the remote touch ties them all in instead of 1,000 buttons and ***** all over the place.

I'm still 50/50 on it.
The 4GS for Europe has 3D maps I believe......but yeah it's for European models only.

Anyways:
Yeah, Remote Touch is something that is definitely new to Lexus. I take it that there are good points brought by this new system..........but of course, it has a steeper learning curve for first-timers (or those only using the car for test drives). You can't get used to it imho if you're only doing it for a few minutes.

Also, during my test drive encounter with the GS350 F-sport I find that operating the mouse while driving (to assign radio presets) was somewhat of a challenge though. Also, the controller felt WAY TOO SENSITIVE (the cursor moved too much to the right when I only wanted it to move one step at a time). Granted, you can adjust this in the settings menu.............but it appears that due to the lack of physical preset buttons (1-6), it appears that assigning a radio station while driving may be even harder to do.

Regardless though, even with this downside, it still won't stop me from dreaming to buy a 4th gen Lexus GS though. The positives still outweigh whatever negatives the new car has so yeah, the status quo hasn't changed.

Still, I think this Remote Touch for Lexus is only on its 2nd generation. Back then, many people hated early versions of the BMW I-drive..........so BMW made improvements over the years to improve its usability. Nowadays, newer generations of i-Drive are more user-friendly than before.

I have faith though that if Lexus pursues this Remote Touch approach, then the only logical course is to improve on their system through time. Hopefully future generations of the system will be better than what we have now.................I hope
Old 08-16-12, 10:12 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Blackraven
The 4GS for Europe has 3D maps I believe......but yeah it's for European models only.

Anyways:
Yeah, Remote Touch is something that is definitely new to Lexus. I take it that there are good points brought by this new system..........but of course, it has a steeper learning curve for first-timers (or those only using the car for test drives). You can't get used to it imho if you're only doing it for a few minutes.

Also, during my test drive encounter with the GS350 F-sport I find that operating the mouse while driving (to assign radio presets) was somewhat of a challenge though. Also, the controller felt WAY TOO SENSITIVE (the cursor moved too much to the right when I only wanted it to move one step at a time). Granted, you can adjust this in the settings menu.............but it appears that due to the lack of physical preset buttons (1-6), it appears that assigning a radio station while driving may be even harder to do.

Regardless though, even with this downside, it still won't stop me from dreaming to buy a 4th gen Lexus GS though. The positives still outweigh whatever negatives the new car has so yeah, the status quo hasn't changed.

Still, I think this Remote Touch for Lexus is only on its 2nd generation. Back then, many people hated early versions of the BMW I-drive..........so BMW made improvements over the years to improve its usability. Nowadays, newer generations of i-Drive are more user-friendly than before.

I have faith though that if Lexus pursues this Remote Touch approach, then the only logical course is to improve on their system through time. Hopefully future generations of the system will be better than what we have now.................I hope
nice post

Old 08-16-12, 10:54 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Blackraven

Anyways:

yes, learning curve is there. but for those who complain about remote touch being hard to use, man they should really try the idrive and command system. the remote touch is "intuitive" by comparison
Old 08-16-12, 11:53 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

i think they need to lower the default sensitivity by a lot and then many people will complain less... otherwise, it is pretty intuitive since it jumps from button to button....
Old 08-16-12, 12:51 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 199 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
Android in a car would be pretty cool. But then again Im not a fan of in car navi anymore since every smartphone has navi
I've got an Android head unit in my E46, and it is indeed awesome. Doggcatcher, Pandora, Amazon MP3 and Google Nav, right in the dash? What's not to love?

Quick Reply: Remote Touch Navigation is terrible and backwards technology IMO