Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Saving Lexus Toyota's Luxury Brand Needs an Overhaul-Motor Trend

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-11, 08:41 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kostamojen
It IS soft... Sorry to burst some bubbles, but its not as great as it should be.
Give me a few reasons, just a few.
Old 10-24-11, 09:07 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

The 2013 GS suggests Lexus cars will become sportier. Meanwhile, the V-6 engine is not particularly silky smooth
I beg to differ. The 3.5L DI V6 is smooth, refined and polished. The 3.7L V6 in the G37 is course and rough (Loved the VQ35)
Old 10-24-11, 09:08 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

As an outsider and being somewhat mercenary (I have my favorite cars and brands but I am not a dyed-in-the-wool loyalist to any car brand) I think there is validity to the point that Lexus is not as high atop the heap as it once was. Most of this is due, however, to competitive makers getting better and in many ways offering superior product than Lexus. In some ways, one might even credit Lexus for upping the ante for the whole field. Thing is the field has risen and now Lexus has to really fight for position like it never has until now.

The article is flawed and superficial and doesn't touch on the real issues Lexus faces. The theme is essentially correct but the writer doesn't know how to explain the case.

I understand passion for the brand but I think many folks should be open to objective evaluation of that brand. All this "I'll die a Lexus guy" sort of thing is really kind of... creepy. Don't tune out just because there is negative criticism leveled at Lexus. I'm sure Akio Toyoda takes these things very seriously himself. Lexus is the relentless pursuit of perfection.
Old 10-24-11, 09:25 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Och
^

All cars from all manufacturers are getting bloated and big, lets not single Lexus out. Nobody wants cramped cars with no suspension. How about 4GS that weights far less and current 5 series?

The first gen IS was a good car in its own right, but certainly not a very practical one, and nobody bought it. The current IS is damn near perfect, if only they made a coupe to complete the line up.
Bingo....the media is constantly ragging cars for getting heavier..the new GS is bigger, more advanced, sportier etc and LIGHTER. Where is the report on that?

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I beg to differ. The 3.5L DI V6 is smooth, refined and polished. The 3.7L V6 in the G37 is course and rough (Loved the VQ35)
The Lexus 3.5 V-6 is one of the smoothest V-6s around...this writer is off their rocker

Originally Posted by speedflex
As an outsider and being somewhat mercenary (I have my favorite cars and brands but I am not a dyed-in-the-wool loyalist to any car brand) I think there is validity to the point that Lexus is not as high atop the heap as it once was. Most of this is due, however, to competitive makers getting better and in many ways offering superior product than Lexus. In some ways, one might even credit Lexus for upping the ante for the whole field. Thing is the field has risen and now Lexus has to really fight for position like it never has until now.

The article is flawed and superficial and doesn't touch on the real issues Lexus faces. The theme is essentially correct but the writer doesn't know how to explain the case.

I understand passion for the brand but I think many folks should be open to objective evaluation of that brand. All this "I'll die a Lexus guy" sort of thing is really kind of... creepy. Don't tune out just because there is negative criticism leveled at Lexus. I'm sure Akio Toyoda takes these things very seriously himself. Lexus is the relentless pursuit of perfection.
If for once there was a well thought out article then we would say "hey on point". Instead these amateur borderline rubbish articles are printed for millions to read.

Whats funny is people having an issue with the Lexus enthusiast. Well get over it, yes we exist, just like the nutty Porsche, Ferrari, Honda, VW, BMW, etc etc enthusiast. Its funny b/c some of the supposed sportier brands don't have 1/ 2 as many modified/tracked cars and enthusiasts as "old man" Lexus.

I can easily give constructive criticsm b/c I've done it tons of times and so have many on this board, some more vocal than others. No one is saying Lexus is perfect and without some challenges. What we are saying is present them properly, not with ANOTHER article on par with a picture book.

1. The yen is killing the price advantage/value that Lexus and the Japanese once had.
2. The recalls/quality issue is something that hit at the worse time, when the competition was better than ever.
3. They need to expand the lineups beyond one 375k coupe and an ISc convertible.
4. Dealers need to get enthused about the F-sport program and stop wanting to only sell RX/ES/LS type vehicles.
5. They need to get the marketing/advertising back on point. They seem to be doing a better job now than in the recent past.
6. Consider making leasing more attractive to buyers.
7. More true global cars like the CT and less JDM only likes cars like the HS. The HS sells like hotcakes in Japan, its quirky JDM. We don't like that here.

The article fails to mention the success of the CT. The CT has proven what the Germans have failed at here for decades. That people would indeed buy a luxury 30k+ small hatch. This is a HUGE accomplishment that is overlooked by everyone and the media barely mentions it.

I remember when the articles said how Lexus was struggling in Japan. Lexus is now kicking all sorts of *** in Japan and/or at least is in 2nd place. I've yet to read one article saying "hey lets talk about what Lexus did right in Japan"

Rubbish....I wouldn't be surprised if these authors and mags would tell us Christopher Columbus discovered America....

Old 10-25-11, 05:36 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

excellent post.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Bingo....the media is constantly ragging cars for getting heavier..the new GS is bigger, more advanced, sportier etc and LIGHTER. Where is the report on that?
good point! maybe it will get some press when the car is actually available for sale.

Whats funny is people having an issue with the Lexus enthusiast. Well get over it, yes we exist, just like the nutty Porsche, Ferrari, Honda, VW, BMW, etc etc enthusiast.
false straw man. i doubt anyone has a problem with enthusiasts. for a variety of reasons well hashed out here, (even admitted to by T/L) Lexus is going through a rough patch, but with lots of product launches around the corner, it's also an exciting time. but i agree with speedlex that the competition has also really stepped up, making lexus feel a little less special than in the past. lexus DID change the entire luxury landscape though, no one can validly deny that! but as they say, what have you done lately?

Its funny b/c some of the supposed sportier brands don't have 1/ 2 as many modified/tracked cars and enthusiasts as "old man" Lexus.
not sure which brands you're referring to. part of it could just be sales numbers, and part of it could be that the cars are sportier from the factory and thus don't need to be as modded.

No one is saying Lexus is perfect and without some challenges. What we are saying is present them properly, not with ANOTHER article on par with a picture book.

1. The yen is killing the price advantage/value that Lexus and the Japanese once had.
2. The recalls/quality issue is something that hit at the worse time, when the competition was better than ever.
3. They need to expand the lineups beyond one 375k coupe and an ISc convertible.
4. Dealers need to get enthused about the F-sport program and stop wanting to only sell RX/ES/LS type vehicles.
5. They need to get the marketing/advertising back on point. They seem to be doing a better job now than in the recent past.
6. Consider making leasing more attractive to buyers.
7. More true global cars like the CT and less JDM only likes cars like the HS. The HS sells like hotcakes in Japan, its quirky JDM. We don't like that here.
awesome points!

The article fails to mention the success of the CT. The CT has proven what the Germans have failed at here for decades. That people would indeed buy a luxury 30k+ small hatch. This is a HUGE accomplishment that is overlooked by everyone and the media barely mentions it.
very good point again, but the CT numbers aren't really off the charts and the CT itself isn't that exciting, so it's not that big a story. but yes, lexus has again created a new segment!

I remember when the articles said how Lexus was struggling in Japan. Lexus is now kicking all sorts of *** in Japan and/or at least is in 2nd place. I've yet to read one article saying "hey lets talk about what Lexus did right in Japan"
in the media they say "if it bleeds is leads"... so there you are.
Old 10-25-11, 06:05 AM
js619858
Pole Position

BULL****! Does that mean MB, BMW and Audi needed saving when they were behind Lexus in the U.S.A.! Lexus will become 1st or 2nd again in the U.S. and is still a new company in Europe and growing. I work in the Middle East and I see a lot more Lexus especially in Saudi Arabia where I been working and living for the past 3 years!

I guess Lexus needs to pay MT some money to get better reviews! So much for an un-bias magazine!
Old 10-25-11, 06:55 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

most of that is due to aging lineup that lexus has - it is just part of the cycle, nothing else or more.
New IS, GS, LS, ES and baby RX are coming within very short time period of less than 24 months.

If we look at 2012 GS450h, technologically, Lexus is at the top of the hill.
Old 10-25-11, 08:42 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by js619858
BULL****! Does that mean MB, BMW and Audi needed saving when they were behind Lexus in the U.S.A.! Lexus will become 1st or 2nd again in the U.S. and is still a new company in Europe and growing. I work in the Middle East and I see a lot more Lexus especially in Saudi Arabia where I been working and living for the past 3 years!

I guess Lexus needs to pay MT some money to get better reviews! So much for an un-bias magazine!
well, in early 2000s, you could read all kind of negative articles on audi and how they probably had no way of recovering. and then there was the time when bmw was so bad (i think almost got bought by mb? can't remember) and how people took at them.

i think it just happens to everyone
Old 10-26-11, 05:52 PM
js619858
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rominl
well, in early 2000s, you could read all kind of negative articles on audi and how they probably had no way of recovering. and then there was the time when bmw was so bad (i think almost got bought by mb? can't remember) and how people took at them.

i think it just happens to everyone
+1 agreed!
Old 10-26-11, 08:20 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

I agree with the article. The only reason I'm even here is cause of the CT (a cool looking hybrid thats actually fun to drive? Thats the right direction to be heading).

The current IS pissed me off when it came out. The first-gen IS was my fav entry level lux sedan, but they made it bloated and boring. The GS, not something I would ever look at, nor the rest of the lineup, too many uninspiring automobiles. The LFA is a different story, again shows the right direction to go with something so unique.

IMO, Lexus took on too many of the qualities (boring appliances) of the main brand including their problems (recalls) but it does look to be headed the right direction now.

It IS soft... Sorry to burst some bubbles, but its not as great as it should be.
Huh?! What's boring about a stock car doing 0-60 in under 5 seconds? Bloated? I love the look, aggressive and sporty, certainly for a 4-door.

I'll agree on the CTh, Lexus is definitely on the right track there. What does MB or BMW have to offer that's comparable?
Old 10-26-11, 09:40 PM
Kostamojen
Pole Position

Originally Posted by anthrax144
Huh?! What's boring about a stock car doing 0-60 in under 5 seconds? Bloated? I love the look, aggressive and sporty, certainly for a 4-door.

I'll agree on the CTh, Lexus is definitely on the right track there. What does MB or BMW have to offer that's comparable?
The styling on the current IS is dry. Its barely distinguishable from any other car on the road, and it doesn't offer anything better than its competition other than reliability. The rear of the car looks too carolla-ish (as opposed to the first IS which had a rear end that was pretty revolutionary at the time) and the shape in general looks like an overweight melted version of the first IS without the style. Heck, the hood bulge from the first IS disappeared completely and that was one of the distinguishing features of the car.

Plus, they went from the straight 6 which has been a engine Toyota has been associated with for over 40 years to the V6 making it just another run of the pack car. That really irked me. Does the V6 deliver good performance? Yes, the car in general went from the entry level sedan for the performance minded to the entry level sedan for the point-a to point-b ordinary driver. Did the previous IS need more interior room and more luxury? Yes, but this wasn't the way to do it.

In fact, the IS is pretty much the LAST car in the new entry level luxury sedan market I would buy sadly. I would never consider purchasing one, which is why it was so odd a CT ended up in the family (I thought it was an IS wagon or something, had no idea it existed until I saw it in person on display, Lexus wasn't even on the list of brands to look at) The IS-F I'd have to take a hard look at if I was buying a performance sedan, but ultimately would loose me due to the lack of a proper transmission.

Look, I'm not trying to be a troll here, but I am trying to give an honest perspective from a non-Lexus guy who wants to see Lexus/Toyota succeed. They just need more inspiring, more entertaining cars and the IS is the best example of how they went the wrong direction with their current crop of automobiles.
Old 11-04-11, 07:21 AM
Gymniac
Lexus Test Driver

Default Pretty biased article I would say...

Pretty biased article.

Last edited by Gymniac; 11-04-11 at 08:22 AM.
Old 11-04-11, 02:39 PM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

The styling on the current IS is dry. Its barely distinguishable from any other car on the road, and it doesn't offer anything better than its competition other than reliability. The rear of the car looks too carolla-ish (as opposed to the first IS which had a rear end that was pretty revolutionary at the time) and the shape in general looks like an overweight melted version of the first IS without the style. Heck, the hood bulge from the first IS disappeared completely and that was one of the distinguishing features of the car.

Plus, they went from the straight 6 which has been a engine Toyota has been associated with for over 40 years to the V6 making it just another run of the pack car. That really irked me. Does the V6 deliver good performance? Yes, the car in general went from the entry level sedan for the performance minded to the entry level sedan for the point-a to point-b ordinary driver. Did the previous IS need more interior room and more luxury? Yes, but this wasn't the way to do it.

In fact, the IS is pretty much the LAST car in the new entry level luxury sedan market I would buy sadly. I would never consider purchasing one, which is why it was so odd a CT ended up in the family (I thought it was an IS wagon or something, had no idea it existed until I saw it in person on display, Lexus wasn't even on the list of brands to look at) The IS-F I'd have to take a hard look at if I was buying a performance sedan, but ultimately would loose me due to the lack of a proper transmission.

Look, I'm not trying to be a troll here, but I am trying to give an honest perspective from a non-Lexus guy who wants to see Lexus/Toyota succeed. They just need more inspiring, more entertaining cars and the IS is the best example of how they went the wrong direction with their current crop of automobiles.

Another Lexus hater.
Old 11-04-11, 03:56 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, he bought a CT.
I am not completely agreed with it, but everyone has different views, and he sounds like he like Lexus just dissapointed with the new IS, and he is letting his feeling out.

Last edited by blacksc400; 11-04-11 at 04:41 PM.
Old 11-04-11, 04:08 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
Another Lexus hater.
Did you read what he wrote?

Quick Reply: Saving Lexus Toyota's Luxury Brand Needs an Overhaul-Motor Trend