Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Interesting proposition to split for GT-R...what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-11, 07:46 AM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I was raised and taught to help others and share. However, I must not share w/ another at least three things in my life:

1. Girlfriend/wife
2. Cars
3. Cameras

The older I get, the more I appreciate the meaning behind it.

I agree with what everyone said above. Don't do it. You'll save yourself from a lot of headaches that are bound to come up.

Jon
Old 10-24-11, 08:04 AM
Alucard
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I could see little things like your friend spilling a drink in it turning into a big argument.

Plus, though it might be cool for a few months, imagine yourself in that situation 2 years from now. Would it still be worth all the hassles?
Old 10-24-11, 08:41 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
Not a good idea. If the car has a major breakdown like a transmission or engine failure while the other party was driving it, will both of you be willing to pay for the repairs equally? What about an accident? Sharing the car when its all running perfect is easy. Sharing a car and its expenses when things need fixing is not so easy. Especially if one party feels he hardly drove the car and has to pay for expensive repairs.
In addition to repairs when needed, also consider regular maintenance. For a GT-R, this is quite expensive (or perhaps I should say legendarily/notoriously so) and OP and his partner may disagree on how often routine/preventative maintenance should take place. This not only includes dealership services but regular replacement such as tires or brake pads/rotors. Even something that now seems unimportant or financially nominal such as car washing frequency or methodology could become an issue down the line.

Additionally, what if one of the two owners decides that he doesn't like the car or no longer wants to own the car? The easiest solution is for the remaining owner to buy out the other's share, but then a price has to be agreed upon. Aside from the friction that negotiating an agreeable payment will cause, there is also the danger that the default solution is selling the car and splitting the revenues - which causes significant loss to both partners, especially in terms of wealth to the owner who doesn't want to sell.

Timesharing is already a lousy idea for real estate. It's an even worse idea for cars.

Last edited by gengar; 10-24-11 at 09:58 AM.
Old 10-24-11, 08:54 AM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I had a similar conversation with my best buddy on a Porchse 911. However, we immediately identify issue. Keep your good friend and start saving on your own.
Old 10-24-11, 09:08 AM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't do it man. It'll be nice to own a GTR but only if it's yours completely. I turned my bro down when he wanted to co sign on a 650i.
Old 10-24-11, 09:23 AM
korinfox
Driver School Candidate

Gonna echo everyone else here. Not a good idea to get involved with loans/financial stuff with a friend. At least they're still making GT-Rs, you'll be able to get one in the future. However, they aren't making NSXs any more, and that would certainly be awesome to own.
Old 10-24-11, 09:29 AM
Slash300zx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 52 Posts

Wait and get a car by yourself. I wouldn't even consider buying a car with a friend and share the car... out of the question.
Old 10-24-11, 10:05 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Grown men should not be sharing cars unless their in college and living on only top ramen.

From boats to lake vacation homes, every "share" I ever seen other friends do ended in a giant fire ball, run.
Old 10-24-11, 01:46 PM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I was a little surprised that not a single person said to go for it.

Thus, I will heed the collective wisdom of the CL community and turn down the offer. I guess I will focus on lining up my finances for the 2012 "decision"

vince
Old 10-24-11, 02:42 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GQD_GS4
Thanks for the responses, everyone. I was a little surprised that not a single person said to go for it.

Thus, I will heed the collective wisdom of the CL community and turn down the offer. I guess I will focus on lining up my finances for the 2012 "decision"

vince
Smart choice
Old 10-24-11, 04:04 PM
GammaLex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Dont do it big mistake later on
Old 10-24-11, 04:19 PM
AShepherd
Former Sponsor

agree with everyone here
when something goes wrong, thats very much likely the end of a wonderful 14 year friendship
it would be a shame

smart choice on turning it down
hope your friend understands it is for the best interest of the friendship
Old 10-24-11, 10:46 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

vince
I'm not surprised not a single person was for it. We all came to the position to afford a Lexus or other high end vehicle due to the smart financial choices (among others) we've made in our lives. And as much as we love cars, this wouldn't have been one of them.
Old 10-25-11, 02:45 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

Buy one 1:18 GT-R diecast model for each of you and call it a day.
Old 10-26-11, 07:38 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

vince
I'll go against the grain and say to go for it only for the potential of reading the drama when the arrangement blows up. But since you're a fellow CL'er, how about you find someone else to take your place in the arrangement and we all win in the long run?

Quick Reply: Interesting proposition to split for GT-R...what would you do?