Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota to enter LMP1 Le mans!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-11, 06:43 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
Toyota has yet to win at Le Mans, Peugeot has done it few times already. They have been racing 908HY which has electric motor and lithium batteries packaged to acts like KERS.

I could be wrong but hybrid technology in current Lexus road cars have nothing to do with racing prototypes. Completely two different concepts from what I read.

Just because someone didn't commercialize electric motor concept in mass production doesn't mean they don't know how to do it. For example Williams F1 has the best racing KERS system out here, incorporated within gearbox that even Porsche adopted.
You're ignoring the previously-mentioned fact that Toyota WON the 24 hours of Takachi race with the Supra HV-R prototype car in 2007. They won with a car that was using experimental and prototype hybrid technology inside, technology totally different than any past or current production Toyota hybrid. The Supra HV-R used supercapacitors to store energy instead of batteries. It's been 4 years since then, and I'm sure Toyota has learned a few things and further developed that prototype system since then. Le Mans is more prestigious, but winning a 24 hour race is still a great accomplishment, even if it's not Le Mans.

Yes Toyota has never won Le Mans (yet), but that was in the 90s when Toyota last participated in Le Mans. Since then, they've gained a ton of experience with the years they participated in F1, as well as the experience they gained with the LFA and prototype projects like the Supra HV-R.

We'll see soon enough how advanced Toyota's LMP1 car is in comparison to Peugeot.
Old 10-26-11, 04:53 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
Toyota has yet to win at Le Mans, Peugeot has done it few times already. They have been racing 908HY which has electric motor and lithium batteries packaged to acts like KERS.

I could be wrong but hybrid technology in current Lexus road cars have nothing to do with racing prototypes. Completely two different concepts from what I read.

Just because someone didn't commercialize electric motor concept in mass production doesn't mean they don't know how to do it. For example Williams F1 has the best racing KERS system out here, incorporated within gearbox that even Porsche adopted.
difference in road technology and race technology is vastly different... Making it work properly in road car is a lot harder than for race cars. KERS in F1 has been a disaster.
Old 10-26-11, 07:24 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
You're ignoring the previously-mentioned fact that Toyota WON the 24 hours of Takachi race with the Supra HV-R prototype car in 2007. They won with a car that was using experimental and prototype hybrid technology inside, technology totally different than any past or current production Toyota hybrid. The Supra HV-R used supercapacitors to store energy instead of batteries. It's been 4 years since then, and I'm sure Toyota has learned a few things and further developed that prototype system since then. Le Mans is more prestigious, but winning a 24 hour race is still a great accomplishment, even if it's not Le Mans.

Yes Toyota has never won Le Mans (yet), but that was in the 90s when Toyota last participated in Le Mans. Since then, they've gained a ton of experience with the years they participated in F1, as well as the experience they gained with the LFA and prototype projects like the Supra HV-R.

We'll see soon enough how advanced Toyota's LMP1 car is in comparison to Peugeot.
Toyota GT1 was born to be the winner. Too bad they cut it out so early. IMO the original Toyota GT1 was the baddest GT ever to enter Le Mans. For such a super short time it was on same level with CLK-GTR and 911 GT1, I am sure It would have dominated the circuit a la R8-18 if Le Mans management didn't screw up with their experimental rules at the first place.
Old 10-26-11, 08:33 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, a lot of reasons as to why Toyota never won with their GT-One machine, including Toyota simply using the GT-One as a learning experience for F1. To this day, the GT-One still remains one of the fastest Le Mans prototype cars ever built.
Old 10-27-11, 06:57 PM
LexFather

I'm just happy Toyota is back in Lemans..thought it would have been awesome to see LEXUS there.

Old 10-28-11, 10:53 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Toyota is teaming up with ORECA for their LMP1 program. Those of you who know Oreca know they ran the Peugeot 908 HDi FAP (2009-2010 model). A very experienced team and very professional. They will surely help Toyota achieve great things.
Old 11-09-11, 08:38 PM
MelF1fan
Driver

Default Toyota signs Alex Wurz, Nicolas Lapierre and Kazuki Nakajima for new LMP1 programme

This is very good news for Toyota's aim for success at Le Mans. With a couple of ex (recent) F1 drivers. Alex Wurz with very recent LeMan's experience coming from the Peugeot LMP1 program, this can only mean good for Toyota.

Very interested to see their LMP1 car and it's technology.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/95979

Toyota signs Alex Wurz, Nicolas Lapierre and Kazuki Nakajima for new LMP1 programme
Monday, November 7th 2011, 08:13 GMT

Toyota has announced Alex Wurz, Nicolas Lapierre and Kazuki Nakajima as the driver line-up for its World Endurance Championship programme with its new hybrid LMP1 car.

The new Toyota will contest selected WEC rounds, including the Le Mans 24 Hours, as the Japanese firm returns to top-line sportscar racing for the first time since its Le Mans bids of the late 1990s.

AUTOSPORT revealed yesterday that two-time Le Mans winner and ex-Formula 1 racer Wurz would move from Peugeot's LMP1 programme to lead the Toyota project.

"As soon as I heard about the possibility to join the team I was instantly excited and keen to be involved," said Wurz. "I love endurance racing and I have been a fan of Le Mans since my childhood so I have great memories of Toyotas competing there, particularly the GT-One which was a really sexy, cool-looking car.

"As an ambitious Le Mans racer, this heritage combined with the immense technical capabilities at TMG makes a very attractive combination."

Lapierre has established a sportscar career with ORECA - which will work with Toyota on the programme - in recent seasons, with the 27-year-old Frenchman part of the winning crew at this year's Sebring 12 Hours.

He said he was honoured to be chosen by Toyota and excited by its decision to run a hybrid.

"To be selected by a company like Toyota for such a new and interesting project is a proud moment for me," said Lapierre. "We are at the beginning of a big challenge and I am very excited.

"TMG has some very impressive capabilities and, together with the hybrid system, we have the potential to develop a really strong car. I am interested to experience the hybrid system for the first time; this adds a different aspect to our challenge and we have to consider some different strategic factors.

"It's great to be involved at the beginning with this technology and I hope it will give us a performance advantage."

The LMP1 deal marks a return to top-level international motorsport for former Williams F1 driver and long-time Toyota protege Nakajima, who returned to Japanese domestic racing this season after losing his grand prix seat at the end of 2009.

"To return to Le Mans, and to take part in this new championship, means a lot to Toyota so I am very honoured to be a part of it," said the 26-year-old Japanese.

"Le Mans will be a new experience for me but it is one I am very much looking forward to. The challenge of Le Mans is famous throughout motorsport so I can't wait to race there for the first time.

"Obviously it is a new experience but I am familiar with endurance racing thanks to my time in Japanese Super GT and this will help me to adjust."

The three drivers are already working in Toyota's simulator ahead of the new car's track debut early in 2012.