Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

what do you guys think about a toyota MR2??

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-11, 08:44 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

MR2s are great cars. I've had my '85 since '91, and my dad bought that car new. I've put a ton of miles on it and had LOTS of fun and good times.

I can see what mmarshall is saying, but for most people an MR2 is not an "only" car, rather, it's a "fun" car. Mine was a daily driver for some years - I always had another, more practical car, but I given the choice I would ALWAYS grab the MR2 keys.

To me, the first-gen car is the essence of a sports car - compact, relatively lightweight, excellent weight distribution, low center of gravity, and heaps of fun! The second-gen cars are more of all that - more horsepower, more safety features, more weight. I haven't driven the third-gen cars much, but they are perhaps closer to the first-gen cars in philosophy - I just prefer a hardtop car.

I've modified my '85 throughout the years - the latest incarnation being basically a complete restoration, 345hp turbocharged 4AG, limited-slip diff, coilovers, big brakes, custom wheels, etc. - I'd recommend driving the car fairly stock for a while to learn how it works and what it can do.

Whichever generation you choose, buy the cleanest, least modified example you can find. Make sure the coolant is fresh, the transmission synchros aren't hammered, change the oil regularly, and enjoy.

Here's my '85, freshly painted, now undergoing reassembly:
Old 10-05-11, 12:17 AM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

once i will be able to fit in one i'll get back to you xD hahhaha jk its a nice fun little car!! not to sure about the safety aspect though...
Old 10-05-11, 10:13 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

in 1999 i had a ford taurus hit me in the rear and his car was tore up and mine wasnt too bad.lets say he got the worst of it.i was suprised.it also was a 86 mr2.
Old 10-05-11, 11:30 AM
JDMmanny
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

kimda want like a 91 or 92 mr2 turbo as a daily driver and just slap some wheels and a drop and that it. just dont want to get stuck with something that is going to give me problems.
Old 10-05-11, 11:38 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by adamls2
not to sure about the safety aspect though...
This is a bit of a bogus speculation.... yes, it's a small car, but it's built like a tank and has FIVE bulkheads in it. Toyota had never built a mid-engined production car prior to this and they were concerned about structure and safety. With the Mister being so maneuverable, you have the potential to AVOID an accident, whereas you might not be able to in a giant Suburban or Hummer... it goes both ways.

It's certainly safer than a motorcycle...

Of course, we could all have fun and stay safe sitting at home, posting on car forums, yes?

As far as size, I have a friend who is 6'4" and can drive my '85. He used to drive his step Mom's '87 Fiero GT V6 5-speed.... a car that my '85 MR2 armed only with HKS exhaust would dispatch REGULARLY (he's a good driver, but the old Mister would RAPE the V6 Fiero).
Old 10-05-11, 04:45 PM
PhantomZX
Lead Lap

I have a 93 NA with a Turbo swap that's only putting down about 230whp right now. It takes a lot of work to make huge power out of the car and simultaneously reliable. If you're mechanically inclined, most of the maintenance items are relatively easy, but I would recommend a 93 and up Turbo since certain items were redesigned and are better than the 91-92.

One example is the Brakes on 93+ turbos - definitely superior to the 91-92 turbo. Another is the metal coolant hardpipe that is routed around the block - 91-92's are prone to corrosion, whereas I believe that part was changed to stainless steel in 93+.
Old 10-05-11, 05:52 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've always wanted a MR2 just as a dedicated track car. Lot of good information here I've picked up.
Old 10-05-11, 06:33 PM
Kostamojen
Pole Position

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
Wow nice find. That owner must've really loved that car for it to still be in that kind of condition. But i still wouldn't buy it for that price.
It was on the front page of the Japanese Nostalgic Car website. I just re-posted it here when I saw an MR2 thread
Old 10-05-11, 09:53 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

I had an '89 Supercharged. Very fun to drive, has some perennial issues like the rear brakes because they used the caliper for the parking brake (pre-drum parking brake design), and there is a bushing in the steering rack that usually dies and makes the front end rattle. Coolant changes are fun - the lines go from rear to front and have drains in them. Purging the cooling system is a lot more involved than other cars too.

You'll learn very quickly not to lift in a turn...I test drove an NSX while I was daily driving the MR2 and scared the crap out of the salesman because I was very comfortable with mid-engine's quick rotation.

I'm 6'2" and had no issues getting in and out, but I still drive my Supra and it's definitely lower than the MR2.

Great cars.

The MkII is a PITA to work on. I'll never do it again after the one I did an intercooler swap and boost controller on.
Old 10-06-11, 12:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
You'll learn very quickly not to lift in a turn...I test drove an NSX while I was daily driving the MR2 and scared the crap out of the salesman because I was very comfortable with mid-engine's quick rotation.
It couldn't have had as much drop-throttle / snap-oversteer in a turn as older rear-engine Porsches. If it did, you would know it.

I'm 6'2" and had no issues getting in and out, but I still drive my Supra and it's definitely lower than the MR2.
Two things. First, you must still be fairly young (or in good physical shape for your size), being able to push yourself up and out of low-slung cars like that. Second, it's hard to believe that a Supra, particularly the last-generation early-mid-90's version, sits lower than an MR2. For one thing, the Supra not only had much larger wheels/tires than the typical MR2 (which adds height), but the interior was much larger and roomier as well. In addition, the front-engine / RWD Supra also needs more room under the car for the long front-to-rear driveshaft and differential than the MR2, which has everything crowded in back behind the driver.
Old 10-06-11, 01:58 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It couldn't have had as much drop-throttle / snap-oversteer in a turn as older rear-engine Porsches. If it did, you would know it.

Two things. First, you must still be fairly young (or in good physical shape for your size), being able to push yourself up and out of low-slung cars like that. Second, it's hard to believe that a Supra, particularly the last-generation early-mid-90's version, sits lower than an MR2. For one thing, the Supra not only had much larger wheels/tires than the typical MR2 (which adds height), but the interior was much larger and roomier as well. In addition, the front-engine / RWD Supra also needs more room under the car for the long front-to-rear driveshaft and differential than the MR2, which has everything crowded in back behind the driver.
I'm 51. I'm also riding my bicycle about 5k miles a year. In and out is no bigger deal than when I got my first Supra in 1994. My Supra isn't at stock ride height. My MR2 was. It's definitely lower: I've hit the frame rails on tall speed bumps.

The MR2 has coolant tubes running through the middle of the car, so there's no advantage to ride height compared to the Supra. Tire diameter has no relationship to ride height - suspension can be designed to work with any tire height and any ride height, although there are some challenges to locating the pickup points for the suspension on cars with tall tires.

I sat in an F40 at a Ferrari dealer. There was no doubt it was one of the lowest cars I've ever sat in. It felt like pure go fast business.
Old 10-06-11, 02:10 PM
akarils
Driver School Candidate

The MK1 MR2 is a great little car. It has everything you need and nothing you don't need. Just an engine and wheels and seats, for a pure driving experience.
Old 10-06-11, 04:12 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I always wanted an MR2. I personally would have gotten one before the Supra, not because I don't like the Supra but just because I have a mid engine RWD fetish or sorts I ended up with a different mid engine car, but I still stop and stare at the MR2 when I see it on the road. I don't like the newer MR-S though as I just don't like convertibles.

For me, if I can afford it financially I would get the MR2 if that is the car you want. The car will only get older, harder to find, more expensive to maintain, and possibly harder to justify buying one as the years go buy. Might as well just buy it, experience it, enjoy it, then at least you'll have no regrets and wonder later.
Old 10-06-11, 10:32 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by meowCat
Oh man I can tell it's gonna look HOT. I love the red ones. This is timeless design classic hot car, approved by meowCat. Please be sure to post pics, on a new thread, once the build is complete! I can't wait to see them.
I'll do that. A couple CL guys have known about the car for several years - I'm finally back on track getting it finished. Of my cars, it's probably THE CAR I would keep if I could keep only one!

Here's a sneak peek at the wheels I built for it - this was a photo before it was painted.

Old 10-07-11, 08:07 AM
netb
Driver School Candidate

My daily driver is an 88 T top MR2 with about 273k miles on it. Definitely a beater. Major oil leak and a couple of other problems. I've got to replace it soon. If I could afford it, I'd definitely get an MR2 spyder. They get a bad rap for being too cute and low on power, but the handling is phenomenal. Plus finding replacement parts is a hell of a lot easier than with my 1st gen. I've gone through 2 parts cars.

Quick Reply: what do you guys think about a toyota MR2??