Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Decisions, decisions....97-01 NSX vs. C6 Z06?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-11, 10:40 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by GQD_GS4
I am leaning towards the NSX. CK6Spd and GS3Tek, what is it about driving your NSX that makes you keep your car over something newer and faster?
You'll hear it time and time again that is the OVERALL BALANCE of the car.
In addition to the timeless design, reliability, light-weight, and the fact that stupid acura never made a new one

I've always wanted one since high-school. One of those young boy's dream car
And yes, you will attract boys in their hondas than females

Test drive them back to back and you can judge for yourself.

The vette is like a 7-11. I see it in every corner, nothing special

Even in CA, I barely see an NSX.
Old 09-30-11, 10:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

I'd go with the 'Vette. For one thing, the 'Vette will probably be a lot easier to resell than an NSX if or when you are done with it. The "Vette's fiberglass body will also be more-resistant to door-dings and corrosion than the NSX's aluminum. But nether one, of course, will be cheap to repair after a fender-bender, and the NSX requires special aluminum-certified body-shops.
Old 09-30-11, 10:53 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by meowCat

I love NSX. Love to own one. But wasn't sure about buying used... may have gone through accidents, damage to frame or suspension, severely worn out seats. I saw, most of them have worn out drivers seats.
That is why a well maintained and good to excellent condition commands a higher price.

Plus, what do you expect the seats to be when it's 15+ years old?
Either way, that is not a deal killer. You can always have it reupholstered or order new ones from leatherseats.com.

Here's my original 96 seat by the way.
Attached Thumbnails Decisions, decisions....97-01 NSX vs. C6 Z06?-nsx-seat.jpg  
Old 09-30-11, 10:56 AM
Erik250
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NSX for me, I see Z06's all day long.
Old 09-30-11, 12:21 PM
Coconut
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 57 Posts

Definitely the NSX. It's well on its way to becoming a classic and its value has remained stable for the last 5 years. In a couple of years, the GT-R, IS-F and Z06 will be succeeded by a newer model which will make them kinda irrelevant. Not so with the NSX. Even if Honda finally releases the next gen NSX, I doubt it'll look as nice due to strict safety standards.
Old 09-30-11, 12:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

seats on nsx do wear out pretty easily from what i see, especially the sides. but still plenty of good ones out there.

and if anything, selling nsx is pretty darn easy because they are always in demand / wanted. and most important, resale of nsx is unbelievably good. arguably it's one of the best car in retaining values. you can drive the car for a few years and not lose much at all
Old 09-30-11, 03:45 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Your seat looks great. Unfortunately you are one of the few out there with super-well maintained interior. Majority of them have nasty worn out seats.. And I'm talking in the price range of $39~ 48k. It's so hard to get too.
If you sit in the seats of an NSX just once, you'll understand why the seat bolsters gets worn out so easily. The larger you are the harder it will be to get in and out of an NSX without rubbing that side bolster. Because the NSX is so low, many people find it nearly impossible to get in and out without rubbing the bolster a lot. The trick is you practically have to plop yourself or jump into the seat without touching the side bolsters as best you can. When you get out, you have to support yourself with your left arm on the side floor cowl area, or whatever its called and push yourself out of the seat. The NSX is a lot lower even at stock trim than most people realize. The seat bottom where your butt sits is literally about 8" off the ground.
Old 09-30-11, 03:52 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by SRTGS300
NSX because of the rarity. The only think I dont like about NSX's is because it shares the same engine as a TL. A NSX w/ a comptech s/c and all the other goodies will be badass. And may I ask how you think a ISF is boring?
Which TL are you talking about? It only shares a variation of 1 TL which was the 3.2L TL made in 1996-1998 which used the C32A2 which was a variation of the C32A1 that the 91-95 Acura Legend used. I, fact, the NA1 uses a C30A and the NA2 uses a C32B I believe. Heads are totally different as the NSX is BOHC while the 1st Gen 3,2L TL and Legend where all SOHC. Anyway, after owninf 3 Acura Legends with the C32A1 engine, I don't mind that the NSX uses a C Bock engine at all.
Old 09-30-11, 04:13 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

I am leaning towards the NSX. CK6Spd and GS3Tek, what is it about driving your NSX that makes you keep your car over something newer and faster?
We all crave power to a certain degree. I personally don't street race and the local 1/4 mile track closed down years ago so I have no real need for fast acceleration testing. The NSX, even the NA1 with 270HP can still get up past 150 MPH so that is fast enough for me. I have reached those speeds no problem.

Here are some of the reason's why I like the NSX. The mid engine placement gives it an awesome feeling. In my own words it feels like the car doesn't turn into a turn, but sort of rotates around a turn. Handling of course is great even by today's standards. Front visibility is unmatched. It was designed to be like the cockpit of an F16, and when looking out the windshield you almost do get that feeling of a panoramic view. You sit really low to the ground. As I mentioned in an above post, your butt is literally about 8-9" off the ground in stock form. I have an NA1 with the manual steering rack. I love the feeling. Makes the BMW 330i steering feel like an over boosted Lexus style steering. I drove 02 NA2 with power steering and I prefer my manual rack. The road feedback is just awesome. Some may not like it since you feel everything, but I love it.

Other things I like about it is it makes a great daily driver. My first NSX I daily drove it for about a year. My current NSX I also daily drove it for a few months because it was my only car. I sold all my cars to buy my house, then bought the NSX a couple days later. I now have a 01 beater Camry I used to go to work most of the week, but I still take the NSX to work about 2 times a week when I have to pick up my son from school.

I've never been in a bad mood when driving the NSX. It;s not the fastest car around, but at least for me I feel relaxed and at peace if you will, when driving the NSX. It is kind of corny sounding, but its just an enjoyable drive. I feel no need to race anyone, just enjoy the sounds and feeling the car gives you. I do get on it from time to time and while it definitely accelerates faster than my 03 GS430, its not going to feel like a Z06. There is no snap your neck g forces, Just smooth continuous acceleration. The VTEC actually doesn't have that hard switch over like in the I4 VTEC Honda engines, so that also gives some people a kind of lack luster acceleration feel.

The NSX is a car you either fall in love with or is just not for you. Its also a car you can't be shy with when it comes to the purchase and price. There are so many people I know that want one but cant pull the trigger and spend $30K+ for a nearly 20 year old car. Back in 2003 I paid $32K for my 92. I paid $32K for my new 92 in 2011. Just drop the cash and enjoy it. When I sell it I'll easily get $27-$30K depending on how fast I want to sell. Those who are serious about buying an NSX will find you and pay the money. When I though about selling my current NSX to get into an NA2, I had about 5 people contact me out of the blue and I did not advertised it at all. Just rumors and word of mouth.

Bottom line for me is if I sell my current NA1 92, its because I'm buying an NA2
Old 09-30-11, 04:18 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

. If I had lots of money I would pickup a 2005 NSX-R and park next to my F-Sport IS350.
You are also going to need some serious connections. Millionaires have already tried to import an NSX-R to the US with little luck. Hopefully as time passes it may get easier or even possible. Also, I have read the latest trend if for the ultra rich to buy up the NA2 NSX-R from Japan for extremely high prices and import them back to other countries. It was a rare car to begin with, and it is now demanding very high prices and having collector status. I believe people are paying well over the original MSRP for used NA2 NSX-R's
Old 09-30-11, 04:20 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

parts for the Z06 are cheaper, easier to get....nothing exotic about the maintenance costs either.

Z06 for the WIN.
Old 09-30-11, 04:22 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'd go with the 'Vette. For one thing, the 'Vette will probably be a lot easier to resell than an NSX if or when you are done with it. The "Vette's fiberglass body will also be more-resistant to door-dings and corrosion than the NSX's aluminum. But nether one, of course, will be cheap to repair after a fender-bender, and the NSX requires special aluminum-certified body-shops.
So many cars today used aluminum that is no longer as big of a problem finding body shops like it was 15 years ago. Most of the exterior panels on the NSX are removable so for minor finder benders you are looking at a replacement panel which most NSX owners prefer, vs a hammer and dolly/bondo repair job. the front fenders are about $1200 each, and the rear 1/4 panels which are bolted on like the front fenders run about $1700-$2000 each brand new. Major collision will just total the NSX anyway in the eyes of the insurance company so no body shop needed.
Old 09-30-11, 04:27 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

PS. for you I'd look into an NA2. I know the NA1 will just not feel fast enough for you unless modded. However, I would still suggest you test drive a bone stock well cared for 91-92 NA1 with the original 15/16 rims and tires if possible. That is the driving feel most of us fell in love with. That is the suspension set up and driving feel and balance Ayerton Senna helped develop. Honda had to make some compromises later due to a class action lawsuit about accelerated tire wear, and also went to larger rims and tires mostly I heard to help refresh the vehicle. The 15/16 rims with manual rack and original 91-92 alignment will give you the most raw race car feeling from a street car you can get though.
Old 09-30-11, 04:36 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My two cents, get the NSX. I can remember just about every time I've seen an NSX on the road. You can't help but stare. Vette's on the other hand, as popular as they are, are every where. Yawn...

The last NSX I came across, we were doing about 65 on the highway, gorgeous day, tons of rode in front of us. I stepped on it. Easily had a 1-2 second lead before he got on the gas. At about 100, he blew past me with a wave. I was happy to watch and listen as he flew past. Gorgeous car!
Old 09-30-11, 06:19 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Or make money off the car. It's almost an investment if you're not gonna drive much and keep her as garage queen... which I would do.

Awesome point you brought up. THAT'S HOW I get out of my Mazdaspeed 3 and now, IS350!!! Any cars that I sold or traded-in, have no wrinkles to the side of the seats! I also be careful getting in, using my arms to support the weight and get in carefully. You not the only one using this technique! LOL!

That is absolutely correct. The NSX and TL do not share the same engines. NSX engine is much more carefully designed to meet specifications for performance and yet extreme reliability. The most reputable top class Honda engineers were in the NSX project. This ain't no typical toy we are dealing with. It is also, IIRC, partially HAND MADE! TL engine is cheap ghey parts compare to this. The engine is made with Japanese passion, the interior of the car too! hand stitched! using super high quality materials. SRTGS300, you got your information wrong.

Yeah you're right. It is insanely hard to get. I would have to find some Japanese buddies and get some connections!

I wouldn't be surprised if asking price is over $110k even now. You can literally take this NSX-R and compete with 450~ 500 hp Lamborghini Gallardo (the early version, not the latest) and Ferrari F430's at the track! A 290hp car being right on par with 500hp cars? that's why NSX is so highly respected due to it's unique characteristics.

Seriously, a $85~ 90k NA2 NSX should be worth over 100k. Honda gave you guys discounts!! it's not about making money. This is about passion and accomplishments, huggggggggggge difference. NSX-R should be worth close to 150k.

$200k at Route KS in Japan for a practically new NSX-R:

http://www.7tune.com/feature-honda-nsx-r-heaven/

Quick Reply: Decisions, decisions....97-01 NSX vs. C6 Z06?