Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

C&D: SUBCOMPACT comapro, new Yaris, Sonic, Fit, Accent, Rio, Versa (Spoilers)

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-11, 10:06 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by mordecai
Yaris means good things for Toyota, as its the base from which it will build including the 2012 Camry. Liking what I'm reading from this car, and how it looks too! I'm excited for the incoming wave of new models from TMC and Lexus.
it does, but dont be fooled - toyota isnt. They know that on paper, old engine doesnt look good (even if it works fine in real life), and pricing is too much for its features.

Luckily for us in Europe, we get all of the negative points removed from Yaris - it has more adjustable steering, better sound insulation and of course, top of the class engines.

Pricing is also tops :-)
Old 09-30-11, 10:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Luckily for us in Europe, we get all of the negative points removed from Yaris - it has more adjustable steering, better sound insulation and of course, top of the class engines.

Well, my guess is that, with all of the local/national taxes and tariffs in Europe, and variations in the Euro-Yen-Dollar-exchange-rate, you could end up paying substantially more for a Yaris there than here in the U.S. The higher-equipment content of the Euro-market Yaris models probably doesn't do much to keep prices down, either.
Old 09-30-11, 12:08 PM
Kostamojen
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It would be hard for me to buy any of these over the Sonic cause you can get that 1.4 turbo with the 6-speed for $16k and get HUGE amount of power out of that motor with very little effort:

C&D: SUBCOMPACT comapro, new Yaris, Sonic, Fit, Accent, Rio, Versa (Spoilers)-bothw.jpg
Old 09-30-11, 01:40 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, my guess is that, with all of the local/national taxes and tariffs in Europe, and variations in the Euro-Yen-Dollar-exchange-rate, you could end up paying substantially more for a Yaris there than here in the U.S. The higher-equipment content of the Euro-market Yaris models probably doesn't do much to keep prices down, either.
we do... it is premium priced here in europe, but also has A LOT of equipment... literally base equipment is what they sell as top in US.
Old 09-30-11, 01:43 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

basically we pay the same as you guys do (compared to competition) but at the same time, we get top of the class engines and much more equipment (half leather seats, panoramic roof, etc, are all reasonably priced).

so it is priced high but you get a lot of car too.
Old 09-30-11, 07:58 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

it does, but dont be fooled - toyota isnt. They know that on paper, old engine doesnt look good (even if it works fine in real life), and pricing is too much for its features.

we do... it is premium priced here in europe, but also has A LOT of equipment... literally base equipment is what they sell as top in US.
And as you know, Europeans are very accustom to paying big money for small cars. Americans are not, and will not pay mid-size car prices for sub-compact cars. Therefore, we don't get the upscale trims.

Our top trims equaling Europe's base trims, only sell at best about 20% of total model volume in the US. Base and mid levels are always the vast majority sold. $16K USD for a sub-compact is already getting too steep for most buyers.
Old 10-03-11, 11:56 AM
scgt652
Pole Position

According to the sales data for September, the Versa outsold the Fit, Yaris, and Accent combined:

Versa (11,800) > Fit (4,734) + Accent (4,525) + Yaris (1,602).

More proof that C&D is out of touch with the needs of real buyers.
Old 10-03-11, 02:21 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by scgt652
According to the sales data for September, the Versa outsold the Fit, Yaris, and Accent combined:

Well, those Yaris sales don't yet reflect what the new Yaris will sell (not on sale in September). And there's barely any 2011 stock left.

Also, most Versa sales are for the current hatchback which is going another year. The car in this test is the new sedan which was barely out as well. So we don't yet know how this will sell. The previous sedan sold poorly, hence why it was replaced first.

Besides that though, C&D's ratings aren't going to put the most weight on what is the cheapest, which the Versa was designed to be. Or even what is simply the roomiest. Yes, these are important to buyers, but doesn't describe the best car in the segment.

A lot of people go shopping and ask...what is the biggest car I can get for the lowest price? The Versa wins at that game.
Old 10-03-11, 05:40 PM
Kostamojen
Pole Position

More like how many stupid people there are in the world, LOL!
Old 10-03-11, 11:21 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

I think around 41% of the Versa's sales are rental fleets.

However, I do think that buyers in this class don't care that much about all the fancy new gadgets many others have. If you're going to get nav, leather, etc in a subcompact, you might as well move up to a compact. The buyers in this class care about price and MPG.
Old 10-04-11, 12:20 AM
superchan7
Lead Lap

As long as the US continues to have low-density cities, small cars will have difficulty getting market share. People in crowded communities appreciate the value of a well-packaged car that is easy to maneuver and park, and gets great fuel economy.
Old 10-04-11, 01:02 AM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the the new yaris looks great! However, my only concern, according to C&D, is that it requires premium fuel? I hope that is a typo, cause it might turn off a lot of buyers.
Old 10-04-11, 01:37 AM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by joshthorsc
I think the the new yaris looks great! However, my only concern, according to C&D, is that it requires premium fuel? I hope that is a typo, cause it might turn off a lot of buyers.
Has to be a typo. There's nothing mechanically different about the 1NZ from other Yaris models.
Old 10-04-11, 11:07 AM
scgt652
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 84Cressida
I think around 41% of the Versa's sales are rental fleets.
I was in Vegas this past weekend, and there were quite a few Versas at the rental car lot. Lots of Jettas and Chrysler products too.
Old 10-04-11, 11:43 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honda Fit always remain on top of CD's pick since day one, even against new comers. Prop to them.
I like the new Yaris design, less feminine so hopefully more male buyers. Wish they put in more powerful engine though, 125HP sounds good. ( should use the one from Scion XD)

Quick Reply: C&D: SUBCOMPACT comapro, new Yaris, Sonic, Fit, Accent, Rio, Versa (Spoilers)