Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Which Car Would You Buy?
Infiniti G37 Coupe
22.73%
Acura TL SH-AWD
4.55%
BMW 335i
18.18%
Lexus IS 350
54.55%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

G37 vs. TL SH-AWD vs. 335i vs. IS350....which cars did I purchase?

Old 09-25-11, 10:22 PM
Phil2005
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G37 vs. TL SH-AWD vs. 335i vs. IS350....which cars did I purchase?

This is my first post here on Club Lexus, I've enjoyed reading people's post on this forum so thought I'd contribute something.

I recently sold my 07 Acura TL and needed 2 replacement vehicles for my wife and I. So I decided to take a look at the G37, TL, 335i, and IS350...I wanted a sporty luxury car that was reliable or had a warranty like what BMW has, so that ruled out Audi and Mercedes. So here's my quick review for the cars.

G37 Coupe with Premium Package:
Impression- Since this was the only coupe I was looking at it didn't surprise me that I felt this was the best looking car out of the bunch.
Exterior - The curves and details like frameless widows and LED taillights was very appealing and I just loved the muscular stance/presence that it has.
Interior - Nice but didn't have the wow factor like in the other cars, the leather was decent but it had too much plastic for my taste. The features included in the car for the price gave it one of the best bang for the buck factor.
Driving - Once I pushed the start button and heard that 3.7L engine come to life it gave me a big smile. It had the best exhaust note of the 4 cars, and the power was great but you had to rev it high to get it going unlike the turbo in the 335i.

TL SH-AWH with Tech Package:
Impression - Was mixed because of the front end, the car I was looking at was the 2011 model so the "beak" wasn't fixed yet compared to the 2012 refresh.
Exterior - Attractive on the side profile, but not too good on the front end or back; I did like the quad exhaust though; with the refresh for the 2012 model it made the car much better looking. The car was very big though and that made me kind of gave me second thoughts bout how this thing was going to drive and handle.
Interior - I've always loved the interior of Acura's, the TL was no different. The seats were soft and comfy yet supportive and had good side bolsters, the fit and finish was great and the ELS sound system was fantastic!
Driving - The size of the car did not mess up the driving dynamics of the TL. It was easy to steer but I could of used more feedback from the steering wheel but the AWD kept the torque steer from occurring.

335i with Prem. & Sport Package:
Impression - Subtle yet attractive styling....then saw the price tag and thought there was no way this car is worth 48k.
Exterior - I thought the 2006-2009 styling was decent but not great looking, then with the refresh in the 2011 model it made a big difference; the car looks wider and more aggressive, and the new use of LED lights gave it a more modern touch.
Interior - One word "quality", even though the design might not be as nice as Lexus or Infiniti the material was superb. The steering wheel was fat and perfect sized, the seats were amazingly designed..I felt like it was made just to fit me, and the details like aluminum door handles and gave it an upscale feeling.
Driving - When you here BMW's being called the "Ultimate Driving Machine" they aren't kidding. The 335i was a rocket, the power came instantly and no turbo lag at all. The steering was precise with excellent feel and the exhaust note was sporty but not too loud. What was amazing to me was how quiet the 335i was on the highway at high speeds or city streets at low speed, it just had the best road handling out of the bunch without sacrificing comfort.

IS350 with Prem. & Lux. Package:
Impression - Great looking even though its the oldest car of the group and nothing beats Lexus reliability.
Exterior - The design is great, love the sleek aggressive look especially on the front end but the rear end has never really been my favorite on the IS. The paint quality on Lexus is among the best, it has that wet look that reflects sun light more then any other car here. Wish the wheel design on the 350 was more sporty looking though.
Interior - Most of you here already know that the design and material is among the best, the leather seat is super soft and rich feeling. The wood trim is a nice touch and plastic usage is on the low side compared to Infiniti and such. The one thing I would like Lexus to change is the steering wheel, to me it felt too skinny and doesn't convey sports as compared to BMW and Acura.
Driving - Very fast, from my driving impression the IS was faster then then TL and G37 but slower then the 335i. Steering was average, wasn't as good as BMW or Infiniti but it's enough to satisfy the average driver. The IS felt more like a car meant for acceleration more then twisty roads.

So after about a week of research and input for the wife we decided to go with.......

We felt the G37 had the best bang for the buck and I loved the way it looks. The 335i was the best handling, most exciting car we've driven, and the build quality was excellent, plus with the maintenance program that BMW has the price was well worth it. Both Infiniti and BMW has the exact exterior and interior combo with the right packages on the lot and that played a big role in why we chose them. The IS was a great car and we would of gave it a closer look but since Lexus had a shortage of IS350s we decided not to get it. The TL was a good car but the front end kind of turned us away even though I love Acura.
Old 09-25-11, 10:33 PM
Cali2is
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Nice... But 2 black cars... I'm sure you'll have fun driving and detailing them. Enjoy!
Old 09-25-11, 11:02 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

335D God, I love that car.
Old 09-25-11, 11:23 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I would have gone with the G37 or the bimmer. In the end I probably would have made the same decision
Old 09-25-11, 11:59 PM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice congrats!

I do believe the 3 series is the oldest here not the IS.
Old 09-26-11, 06:00 AM
kikcaffine
Lead Lap

Ok? Im going to go post on a bmw forum about how I looked at one of their cars also and didnt buy it.
Old 09-26-11, 06:07 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Nice choice but the G being a coupe isn't in the same class.
For me the 335 would be the choice and was for me in '09 but the high pressure fuel pump issues was a big problem.

Enjoy the G37!
Old 09-26-11, 06:20 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kikcaffine
Ok? Im going to go post on a bmw forum about how I looked at one of their cars also and didnt buy it.
This is car chat. We talk mostly about other brands and not so much Lexus. Welcome.
Old 09-26-11, 08:23 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd have to say the comparison wasn't quite even if you didn't drive a IS350 with the sports package. It does make a difference.

plus with the maintenance program that BMW has the price was well worth it.
All manufacturers have this. The thing is, with BMW it's not an option, and the cost is reflected in the price of the car.

I don't understand why people are willing to commit spending years with a new car, but will not wait a few months to get the exact one they want, opting instead for one that's been sitting on the lot.

Anyways, it's a droll tone in this post, but regardless, congratulations on your new vehicles!

Last edited by Infra; 09-26-11 at 08:26 AM.
Old 09-26-11, 11:17 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by kikcaffine
maybe you need some caff[e]ine, or less.
Old 09-26-11, 11:18 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Phil2005 - i think you needed to try the IS with the f-sport package. would have made the twisties much better.

of those 4 though i'd take the 335i

but congrats on the g37! sweet car.
Old 09-26-11, 11:36 AM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

I would've gone with the 3series and IS. The G is just whatever, not a fan of the interior.

But congrats on the purchase! Btw, why both black?
Old 09-26-11, 12:08 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very nice choices I would have gotten the G37 in white (LOVE the G37 in white with black interior) to contrast the 335i you got but either way its a nice car At least you got a sedan and a coupe though, its always nice to have some extra room when you need to take some friends out, and nice to have a coupe for those days when it's just the two of you

So how did this work out? You got the 335i she got the G37? Vice Versa? Or is this a first come first serve thing?
Old 09-26-11, 02:21 PM
madmax2k1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Congrats; I think the IS350 with the F sport package looks very sharp.