Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cars that have aged gracefully... (and your future predictions)

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-11, 09:16 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Cars that have aged gracefully... (and your future predictions)

Driving around L.A, you get to see all brand-spanking new cars intertwined with old clunkers and classics. There's a lot of cars on the road over here.

Recently, I have grown to appreciate some cars that are still on the road, and although a generation or two or three have passed, they still look "relevant." Not outdated, not old fashioned; but clean and handsome.

Just today alone, I noted three cars that I saw that doesn't look 10 or 20 years old. They're not classic cars per se, but they do have classic lines and presence. And I am not saying that they are the best looking; I'm just saying that they've stayed relevant instead of looking like a passing fad.

For example, everyone has a love-it-hate-it relationship with the Toyota Camry. And as boring as the car is for enthusiasts, it stays relevant to the masses. Linear, easy, and boxy; it epitomizes functionality. I always liked the back of the 4th generation Camry; it was simple and everyone copied it.

Another one I saw was a 1981 Mercedes 300d. This 30-year old car is built like a tank. The grill is simply signature and it has presence. I love it when I see it coming down the road. It's big and brash and commands attention.

And we can't leave Porsche out of this discussion. The 911 has stayed true to its roots regarding its design philosophy, no less than its performance philosophy. I still have trouble identifying how old it can be, only because the design has simply evolved, but never dramatically changed.

Then I thought to myself, 20 to 30 years from now, what cars will still look relevant? Will "four door coupes" such as the CLS and CC be outdated like a passing fad? Will swoopy-humpbacked SUvs such as the X6 or Acura ZDX be as laughable as the Pontiac Aztek? Will bulky and heavy hardtop convertibles such as the IS-C or Caddilac XLR be forgotten in favor of a clean softtop roadster?

WHAT ARE SOME OF TODAY'S MODELS DO YOU THINK WILL STAY RELEVANT IN THE FUTURE?
Old 09-24-11, 09:23 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I think the Ford Mustang has progressed well. Tons of OEM and Aftermarket support. Its an Icon, a legend, and a house hold name. It's not going anywhere

Old 09-24-11, 09:23 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The third gen TL (04-08) withstand the test of time pretty well. It still looks a brand new car.

Another car I think that will age gracefully would be the BMW e46 models. As much as I enjoy the newer BMWs, the e46 does not seem to offend me in any way.
Old 09-24-11, 09:27 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stylistically the more outrageous models will tend to age faster, this includes pretty much all of Hyundai's new lineup. It's why more premium cars are generally more conservative. Of course these more outrageous models can also end up as one of a kind classics down the line, who knows.

I think you're going way back though, the cars you've listed look dated and clearly old. Yes they may still look good but they show their age. I think any car with the hamburger style door handles (like on that Camry) will instantly look old.

Cars that have aged well? I'd say on the mainstream end the 2002-2006 Toyota Camry, 2004-2010 BMW 5 series, last generation Mercedes E-class though there are quite a few others. Going farther back the SC400 has got to be among the best aging cars from the 90s.
Old 09-24-11, 09:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Well, the VW Beetle is also an ageless design, whether the old rear-engine air-cooled versions or the later FWD water-cooled ones starting in 1998. In fact, a Beetle redesign is debuting this fall that keeps most of the old basic body-shape but improves the interior drastically.

The Mazda Miata is another car that never seems to go out of style. Its original design has grown slightly larger (and the cramped interior slightly roomier) since 1990, and has added a power-hardtop (which, IMO, it didn't need), but otherwise has remained a true classic.
Old 09-24-11, 10:31 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,707 Likes on 2,292 Posts

I think very few cars stand the test of time, almost all of them I see from 20 years ago look incredibly dated, some completely hideous. I agree on Hyundai, their "put a crease and curve on everything" styling is going to age poorly and look comical 10 years from now (I think they look terrible now myself). Cadillac is another, I watched The Matrix Reloaded the other day and thought, that car just looks stupid, and Cadillac has expanded the styling motif.

The generation 2 Camry to me is a classic, they have held up well styling wise, and if you find a clean example, they really stand out. Sadly the car rusts badly.

Cars that have aged gracefully... (and your future predictions)-pjn41.jpg
Old 09-24-11, 11:32 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The Lexus 2IS. Even being a 6 year old design people still think it's new and love the design.
Old 09-24-11, 11:33 PM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO the 300zx z32 and NSX have both aged very well.
Old 09-24-11, 11:46 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Lexus IS (gen 1, 2) Lexus ES (gen 2, 3), Lexus LS (All Gens), Lexus SC (first gen) and Lexus GS (all Gens especially first if you can find a good example) are timeless just about I think. Some of these cars have classic lines (LS) that will always look good, others (IS) have lines that are simply a commanding presence and I believe always will be.

Other examples are the C6 Vette, Cadillac CTS-V, 8th generation Honda Civic, there are others but I cant think of them just now.
Old 09-25-11, 12:00 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The Supra (mk4) looks as good and new today as it did in the early 90ies when it launched.
Old 09-25-11, 12:33 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

IMO, the 1IS, S2K, RSX, 2005 RL, 2005 TL, and bumblebee will all age gracefully
Old 09-25-11, 01:11 AM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

w210 and w211 E class. The CLS, the B7 A4. The VW CC, C5 Corvette, (LS1) Trans Am, Mid 90's Civics.
Old 09-25-11, 03:21 AM
Coconut
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 57 Posts

NSX, S2000, R8, Ferrari 360
Old 09-25-11, 05:30 AM
suislide
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

97+SC and 2GS still look relevant
Old 09-25-11, 06:17 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Quick Reply: Cars that have aged gracefully... (and your future predictions)