Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why Subaru went with rear-wheel drive for its BRZ coupe

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-11, 01:10 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Kostamojen
Its RWD cause otherwise they would have to completely redesign the front of the car to accommodate the AWD system. The engine would have to sit higher and the wheels would have to be farther back for the front differential to line up with the front wheels, its just that simple.

The fact that a few loud people are whining about it (and really, its only a handful) just shows how well Subaru's AWD advertising campaign worked over the last decade or so.

Oh, and the SVX had a FWD version for a few years. The Impreza had FWD up to 96 as well.
if subaru designed the car, they would not have to redesign anything, it would be built for awd and toyota would get its rwd version.
Old 09-21-11, 08:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

The fact that a few loud people are whining about it (and really, its only a handful) just shows how well Subaru's AWD advertising campaign worked over the last decade or so.

No....incorrect. Subarus don't sell because of ad campaigns, though I admit that they indeed have spent a lot of money on the Paul Hogan, Lance Armstrong, and "Love Campaign" spots. But the truth is that people buy Subarus because of their superior AWD systems, practicality, reliability, and high ratings by Consumer Reports, not because of what the company shows on TV.

(And, yes, I'm one of those buyers)
Old 09-22-11, 06:18 AM
LexFather

Didn't realize it was an all new boxer engine.

Old 09-22-11, 07:49 AM
Alucard
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subaru or Toyota taking the reigns, who cares. I'm just excited to see these things coming out.
Old 09-24-11, 12:42 AM
Kostamojen
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No....incorrect. Subarus don't sell because of ad campaigns.
I'm not really talking about the cars being sold, but the idea that was sold. People have become too attached to the "AWD ONLY!" Idea for basically no reason at all.

A RWD Subaru drivetrain is the same as a AWD Subaru drivetrain, just minus the front diff and front axles.

They did source/build a better transmission for the RWD Coupe of course, but the important thing is that without the front axles and diff there is MUCH more freedom in where you can locate the drivetrain and weight of the vehicle for pure performance reasons, which is also the purpose of this vehicle... Its going to have the lowest COG of any car in production
Old 09-24-11, 06:33 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thing is:
I still feel that, save for exceptions (like the Subaru Trezia which is an OEM derivation from the Toyota Ractis Verso), a Subaru without Symmetrical All-Wheel-Drive is not a true full-fledged Subaru at all.

The way I see it is: These are characteristics that define what a Subaru really is (you know stuff like Symmetrical AWD and Horizontally-Opposed Engines).

This is not a problem for the Toyota version (because Toyota did not emphasize on AWD as a characteristic that defines their automobiles).......but for Subaru (and something with a car like this that is intended to be iconic for the brand), AWD is a must.

Between the two, if Subaru will not put AWD on their BRZ, then I would rather pick the Toyota version instead.

Or if not, I'll just get an Subaru vehicle with AWD (like the Impreza WRX STI).

Two cents
Old 09-24-11, 07:15 AM
Getrag
Rookie

^......

Well said.

Subaru has such huge brand loyalty, and straying away from their AWD roots with this car may hurt their image to the eyes of loyalists.

Whereas Toyota has been longing for something sporty in their lineup for ages.

Let's just hope we get a turbo version available.
Old 09-24-11, 11:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

They did source/build a better transmission for the RWD Coupe of course, but the important thing is that without the front axles and diff there is MUCH more freedom in where you can locate the drivetrain and weight of the vehicle for pure performance reasons, which is also the purpose of this vehicle... Its going to have the lowest COG of any car in production
Well, it may have the lowest COG of other cars in its class, but to say that about any car in production is probably stretching it. If you want to see a really low COG and light-weight, check out some Lotus products.
Old 09-24-11, 11:38 PM
Kostamojen
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Getrag
Subaru has such huge brand loyalty, and straying away from their AWD roots with this car may hurt their image to the eyes of loyalists.

Whereas Toyota has been longing for something sporty in their lineup for ages.
Subaru's roots with the Boxer layout are actually FWD. The first Subaru with a flat-4 (in the late 60's) was only FWD, it wasn't until the mid 70's that 4WD was an option, and not until 96 in the US that all the models went to AWD only.

Overseas, the story hasn't been the same, as FWD models have existed almost the entire time.

RWD for this car will be a first of course for Subaru, and yes I do COMPLETELY agree Toyota needs some spark in its lineup BADLY. I'm glad both companies will offer this car though, and I hope there is enough distinction between the two. I'd probably buy whichever one is cheapest (probably the Scion).
Well, it may have the lowest COG of other cars in its class, but to say that about any car in production is probably stretching it. If you want to see a really low COG and light-weight, check out some Lotus products.

The entire weight of the drivetrain is blow your knees

But the engineers have stated the COG is lower than anything else they've tested, but I never saw any mention of Lotus.
Old 09-26-11, 09:51 AM
hobin5148
Driver School Candidate

Subaru RWD?

Eh....

What is the point then?
Old 09-26-11, 05:57 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by edgeucated
I don't buy the story, but regardless what I think the car will be RWD
RWD until they realize how crappy their sales are. The enthusiasts are gonna buy the Toyota variant. The Subaru fans are gonna stick to the STi until they have enough money to graduate to an S4.
Old 09-26-11, 06:04 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

No....incorrect. Subarus don't sell because of ad campaigns, though I admit that they indeed have spent a lot of money on the Paul Hogan, Lance Armstrong, and "Love Campaign" spots. But the truth is that people buy Subarus because of their superior AWD systems, practicality, reliability, and high ratings by Consumer Reports, not because of what the company shows on TV.

(And, yes, I'm one of those buyers)
And people don't relinquish their Subarus when they buy em...thus finding a recent Legacy GT is proving to be very difficult.