Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

TMG Lexus LS (650hp) spied at the Ring

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-11, 06:26 AM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mordecai
650 HP sounds amazing! And I'm really, really curious what this means in terms of a production version, if any, of that engine. If this is a test mule for the GS-F then I'm ready to eat my shoe and I'll be glad too!

If the F line is filled out with such insane power from the IS-F all the way to the LS-F/LFA, it would be amazing.

Think about that for a second. A 600+ HP GS would take away some of the "desirability" of the LFA. There's no way the GS-F or the LS-F would have more HP than the LFA. Well maybe the LS-F in a few years right after the LFA's production run ends.
just think about it though, 600 + hp in a lfa compared to and Ls is night n day two different weight classes. one is wayyyy lighter. i just want to see what they are going to with the handling department because we all know the ls is no performer in that department.
Old 09-19-11, 06:35 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
For those that don't know there were pics of this car and a modded LFA taken at the old F1 facility that were posted here a few months ago and shortly after we were asked kindly to take them down which we agreed to. From what was shared, the LS had 650hp at 9000 RPM and had 20" wheels....Now I speculated with others this is very possible since it is the same engine Lotus said last Fall there were going to use in their new concept cars.
Wasn't that something like a 5.0L S/C hybrid V8? I feel like I remember it being a hybrid...
Old 09-19-11, 06:45 AM
Koma

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
That chicken wire screen door mesh on the grill and hood does not suit it at all, other then that pretty sweet
That's the same mesh grille they use on the rear radiator grilles in the LFA. I don't think they look like chicken wire or screen door mesh...
Old 09-19-11, 07:04 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I dont know, for some reason I don't think this engine will end up in GS-F, just too many ponies I think.... Also, if this is just a test mule, why make it look so sporty?
Old 09-19-11, 08:24 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Wasn't that something like a 5.0L S/C hybrid V8? I feel like I remember it being a hybrid...
no one knows, it's never mentioned.

when this was first reported months ago, i gave toyota tons of credit for spending the research and money on all these r&d and that they are working on performance stuff. we will just have to see how much all these gets down into lexus' future products.
Old 09-19-11, 08:25 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
I dont know, for some reason I don't think this engine will end up in GS-F, just too many ponies I think.... Also, if this is just a test mule, why make it look so sporty?
it could very well be project cars for r&d to see what their engines are capable off and other study. toyota does plenty of research that doesn't directly result in future products BUT direction of where they heading. for example, toyota contracted rod millen to build the is430. that car never went into production, but it gave lexus the idea about interest and direction
Old 09-19-11, 08:26 AM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remembered the torque figure was also very good on this high reving 5L V8.
Old 09-19-11, 10:23 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Mystery super Lexus LS spotting lapping Nürburgring

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/09/19/m...g-nurburgring/

We spy, with the lens of our spy guy, a rather unique Lexus LS that's taken to the track. Spotted lapping Germany's Nürburgring, this particular LS is wearing puffed-out fenders, a strongly styled decklid spoiler, what appears to be a faux nose hiding new bodywork, deep side skirts and a pair of vents on the hood. Something sporty is afoot, and we're itching to know more.

Toyota is clearly testing a super sporty version of its flagship luxury sedan. What's not clear, however, is what exactly is going on underneath the bodywork. We do know that this is work of the automaker, and not an aftermarket tuner testing some new performance parts out. The license tags on the car are from Cologne, and the car was spotted at the automaker's garage nearby.

Could we be staring at a Lexus LS F in disguise? The automaker has hinted in the past at such a car coming to market over the years, and this luxury sedan is certainly wearing some athletic upgrades. Funny, we thought for sure that a variant of the new GS was going to be next in line to get the F Sport treatment. Could this just be a one-off piece for the Tokyo Motor Show or Tokyo Auto Salon, or is it indicative of something more?

Final amusing note: The wheelman at the helm of this mystery "LS F' must be new to the 'Ring – that giant "L" on the rear window indicates he's a Learner.
Attached Thumbnails TMG Lexus LS (650hp) spied at the Ring-628-spy-shots-mystery-lexus-ls.jpg  
Old 09-19-11, 10:24 AM
j three
Lexus Test Driver

Am I seeing things or is everyone missing that intercooler in the front?
Old 09-19-11, 10:34 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
It's time to give credit where credit is due. Not enough CL members are giving Lexus any credit these days, it's a shame.

Do you really think Lexus would waste time to make such a well put-together modified car, and be testing it on the 'Ring, without planning to put this into production?

Whatever was being tested with this modified LS, it is definitely coming to production.

I bet that we will definitely see supercharged engines in future F models. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see a supercharged V8 in the GS F. A GS F with 600+ HP would silence all the haters and the critics. A lot of people here on CL would be eating their words and eating crow if the GS F comes out with 600+ HP, or if an LS F comes out with that much power.
I give Lexus credit when there is a stock 650 hp LS-F sitting in the dealer showroom that I can buy for less then $150k.

I only care about reality and tell it like it is. All I see now is a carry over 306 hp 2013 GS350 and a GS450h that got 2 less hp with 0.4 secs slower 0-60 and narrower tires.

Tons of test mule and completely project never make it to production. I believe it when I see it.
Old 09-19-11, 10:49 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

The only thing that concerns me is the 9000 rpm redline. Toyota never really lets an engine rev that high in a production car, especially if the piston speed exceeds 20 m/s. They could possibly have a short stroke, but that'll hinder low end torque.

If they do release this engine, I'm guessing they'll reduce output for the sake of reliability.
Old 09-19-11, 11:05 AM
xioix
Racer

Originally Posted by BNR34
I give Lexus credit when there is a stock 650 hp LS-F sitting in the dealer showroom that I can buy for less then $150k.

I only care about reality and tell it like it is. All I see now is a carry over 306 hp 2013 GS350 and a GS450h that got 2 less hp with 0.4 secs slower 0-60 and narrower tires.

Tons of test mule and completely project never make it to production. I believe it when I see it.
I can't see it being less than $150k since an LSh is already over $100k
Old 09-19-11, 11:08 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by GSteg
The only thing that concerns me is the 9000 rpm redline. Toyota never really lets an engine rev that high in a production car, especially if the piston speed exceeds 20 m/s. They could possibly have a short stroke, but that'll hinder low end torque.

If they do release this engine, I'm guessing they'll reduce output for the sake of reliability.
if i were to guess they just want to see what the engine is capable of. if it really goes into production i will also bet lower rpm and reduced power for long term reliability

Originally Posted by xioix
I can't see it being less than $150k since an LSh is already over $100k
i haven't checked lately the price on the s65? if it's still around 180k, then i think this going for 150-160k makes sense
Old 09-19-11, 11:19 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

How do we know its got 650 hp???
Old 09-19-11, 11:26 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

An LS-F would indeed be bad-***......and I expect it that it would be around middle or higher end of the 500 hp bracket range.

Then, probably a minimum of 600 hp (if they're planning to compete head-on with the S65 AMG)

Quick Reply: TMG Lexus LS (650hp) spied at the Ring