Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: The new Face of Lexus? Your thoughts?
I love it, bold and gives Lexus a face
40.35%
I hate it and/or don't like it
18.42%
I don't mind but I prefer Lexus previous styling
12.28%
Indifferent, don't like/don't hate
8.77%
I hate anything Lexus does and am glad there is this option
0.88%
Thank GOD its not that dumbass Beak
10.53%
Still undecided, haven't made up mind
8.77%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

The Lexus "Spindle" Grill thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-14, 11:07 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

After two years, I've still not fully warmed to the spindle. I think it looks flat out bad on the ES (Droopy the Dog), but pleasant on the GS and LS. The IS F-sport would look better if it had larger side air intakes like on the base model. Larger intakes actually look sportier, as they lend the idea of more air needing to be sucked in to provide cooling for a bigger motor. The small F-Sport side intakes look choked off and skimpy. This theory is all validated when you look at the gaping side intakes for the IS-F and upcoming RC-F.
Old 04-09-14, 12:20 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

The Spindle looks great IMO. Aggressive elegance if I had to describe it. I cannot wait until a full spindle graces the GS.
Old 04-09-14, 08:11 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

I think the reason the front of the ES looks awkward isn't the spindle so much as the odd way the grille sits lower than the rest of the front, and sticks out from the hood.
Old 04-09-14, 11:36 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I think the reason the front of the ES looks awkward isn't the spindle so much as the odd way the grille sits lower than the rest of the front, and sticks out from the hood.
Totally agree. Also adding to the ES's front problem is the fact that there are no lower, side air intakes to "share" the gaping grille's duty. Without adding other intakes and grilles up front, the center one (spindle) becomes the sole focus and too much of a standout feature.
Old 04-10-14, 02:14 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The Spindle looks great IMO. Aggressive elegance if I had to describe it. I cannot wait until a full spindle graces the GS.
yes, yes, yes.... CT200h looks so much better with spindle... I expect GS to be the same.
Old 04-10-14, 02:41 AM
GSthe4th
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Originally Posted by spwolf
yes, yes, yes.... CT200h looks so much better with spindle... I expect GS to be the same.
Admittedly, I still think I prefer the look on these 5 axis projects to the full spindle. I am not yet the biggest fan of the full spindle on the IS F sport (perhaps it's not "big body" enough?)

Although, I will admit I was disappointed when the LF-Gh grill didn't appear on the production4th gen GS.
Attached Thumbnails The Lexus "Spindle" Grill thread-12-04-25-lexus-project-gs-f-sport-mfest.jpg   The Lexus "Spindle" Grill thread-lexus-booth-sf-auto-salon-5-axis-ls460-f-sport.jpg   The Lexus "Spindle" Grill thread-lexus-lf1.jpg  
Old 04-10-14, 04:23 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

i think best part of spindle is that it is not the same on every car... designs can be different overall, so I have no trouble seeing difference between models... for instance, lately with Audi, BMW and MB, sometimes it is hard to spot which model it is... and I am into cars! I cant imagine "normal" person being able to see the difference between some of these models in passing.
Old 04-10-14, 04:59 AM
GSthe4th
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spwolf
i think best part of spindle is that it is not the same on every car... designs can be different overall... I cant imagine "normal" person being able to see the difference between some of these models in passing.
Great points
Old 04-10-14, 08:40 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by G Star
Thats not what the buyers are saying.
Exactly. The buyers have spoken, sales worldwide have never been higher. Lexus took a very bold risk with this new Spindle and its paying off very well. If you read Euro reviews they are raving about the styling in a sea of sameness, they really seem to like it. Clearly consumers have spoken with their money.

Will some not like it and not buy it? Sure. Lexus clearly didn't target them lol. Lexus has stated they are aware their new styling will divide opinion and cause people to hate/not like it and they are fine with it. As another poster stated, people are taking about it, it causes emotion.

They are extremely styled, almost concept car in nature. I don't think people really appreciate what is being done here. Audi grills are nice but very conservative and not 3 dimensional like the spindle, its just a grill whereas the spindle is the entire front end. The separate LED housing is a nightmare for engineers and for cost, its amazing it met production. Some luxury brands still don't even have a LED strip, Lexus has a complete separate strip in the bumper on some cars, its really crazy.

I also like the fact while they all share the same "spindle" shape they are not the same, they are all different and distinct.

Like I told Lexus in Japan, I never had an issue with Lexus styling in the past but this new shape is very emotional. My favorite is on the LS, my least favorite is the GX.

Old 04-10-14, 09:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

We can all give our opinions on the spindle (and, of course, do), just like on controversial grilles from other manufacturers. But, in my book, even though I'm on record as not being one of the spindle's fans, what's BEHIND the grille is actually more important. One spends his or her dollars on a CAR, not just a piece of grille-trim.
Old 04-10-14, 09:52 AM
flyfishman
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

agree that the GX look dreadful with the spindle - needed to be much more tame
Old 04-10-14, 11:50 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Godbless the Spindle I say!

Old 04-11-14, 12:28 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I think there's too much attention paid to just the grill. What's more important is that the overallstyling language is much more aggressive, the spindle grille is only a part of the puzzle.
Old 04-11-14, 09:17 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by flyfishman
agree that the GX look dreadful with the spindle - needed to be much more tame
LX, LS, and RX are good. CT is not bad.

All the others (IS, ES etc) suck.
Old 04-11-14, 09:38 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by jwong77
I think there's too much attention paid to just the grill.
well since it's something you might see every time you walk up to the car it's kinda important, plus if, like f-sport, it's black, huge, and very 'in your face' especially on a light colored vehicle, you can hardly miss it.

What's more important is that the overallstyling language is much more aggressive, the spindle grille is only a part of the puzzle.
and 'aggressive' is a good thing why?

Quick Reply: The Lexus "Spindle" Grill thread