Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What should they do?
Kill it with fire
31.11%
Redesign it and keep car based
24.44%
Redesign it and turn it into a real truck with a V-8 option
35.56%
Go back in time and add a beak
8.89%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Why Honda's Ridgeline pickup is driving off into the sunset

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-11, 09:18 PM
LexFather

Post Why Honda's Ridgeline pickup is driving off into the sunset

Well many of us saw this coming years ago

The Honda Ridgeline is a good example of what happens when an automaker abandons a model.

After much fanfare with its introduction in 2005, little was done to upgrade the mid-sized pickup. Ridgeline's plummeting sales are no surprise considering the lack of sheet metal changes and significant engineering improvements over the seven-year period.

The pickup's best year was 2006 when 50,193 sales were tallied. After that point, it's been all down hill. Last year, sales for the 12-month period totaled a 16,142, a 2 percent drop from the previous year. This year's sales through August nosedived 49 percent, to 5,776 vehicles.

While the Ridgeline does not fill everyone's pickup needs, nor was it intended to so, it is a credible pickup. Despite the fact that it was developed off a front-drive platform, it has a 1,500-pound-plus payload capacity and tows up tow 5,000 pounds. Four-wheel drive is standard.

And, from what I hear, Ridgeline owners like the pickup, especially the towing capability, the ride, the handling, and the standard tailgate that swings down or to the side like a door.

Honda doesn't talk about future products. But Automotive News reported last month that the Ridgeline will be discontinued in about two years. Based on conversations with industry sources, the story said a smaller pickup is under consideration, derived from the CR-V platform.

Presuming less payload and towing capacity than the Ridgeline, I can't imagine why a smaller pickup based on a front-drive platform would be a more successful product formula for Honda.

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/article/2011...#ixzz1XhzYXydO

Old 09-11-11, 09:30 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

i say kill it and start fresh.. a fuel efficient compact truck would be a good start
Old 09-11-11, 09:39 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

That's a shame!
Old 09-11-11, 10:32 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I think the basic idea is okay. But the current design has not changed at all since 2005. To leave any model linger that long IS A DEATH WISH. It's not the niche that's the problem, it's the damn brand screwing up again. The Ridgeline was a good idea, but everyone who wanted one, already got one. The time to update it is long passed.

Last edited by Fizzboy7; 09-12-11 at 11:28 PM.
Old 09-11-11, 10:51 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I thought they stopped selling this thing a long time ago...but I just saw it in one of those Honda clearance commercials.

I think most people think its dead too
Old 09-11-11, 10:54 PM
03 ES
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its like the element...i forgot it existed
Old 09-11-11, 10:56 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Power of a V6 but thirsty as a V10. I like the Ridgeline but its major downfall is is the power train. It's a HEAVY truck. Honda's formula has always been the same. Either we use a 2.4L I4 or a 3.5L V6. They cannot use the same darn engine in every vehicle and expect it to perform. My uncle has a Ridgeline and it's a neat truck. I see the utility in it, just not the power.
Old 09-12-11, 12:10 AM
Nick2JZ
Pole Position

it is the name that help kill it beside other things................. i likes the rear storage under the tailgate.
Old 09-12-11, 01:06 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Mid-sized pickups have been attractive to automakers, but they don't seem to be successful. I don't know if it's a fundamental flaw in the design or lack of investment by the companies. I had a Dodge Dakota, and it was a very useful pickup - when it wasn't being repaired. It could have used a bit more room and comfort in the cab, but the size of the bed was useful and the low height made reaching into the bed easy.

The Ridgeline has a very comfortable cabin and the bed, while small, is fairly useful. The locking under-floor storage compartment eliminates the need for a pickup box for gear. Plus, the dual-action tailgate can swing out of the way making access to the bed much easier than reaching over a lowered tailgate. I think what the Ridgeline needs is improved styling and a powertrain that offers over 30 MPG while retaining its utility.
Old 09-12-11, 05:55 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Option #5:
Attach it with cables to an Odyssey and simultaneously run both off a cliff
Old 09-12-11, 07:06 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

I can't tell what's worse: A Honda Ridgeline (in its current form) or a Cadillac Escalade

Still, I'm guessing that humanity would be better off without those two abominations
Old 09-12-11, 07:19 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The Ridgeline is an outstanding concept that delivers exactly what the majority of suburban cowboys need in a truck, decent, if not outstanding economy, first-class utility, comfort, and flexibility for running those manly trips to the big-box store or bringing home a load of brie for the family.

Unfortunately, and typical of Honda, they are building what we NEED and not what we WANT. Suburban cowboys want the IMAGE of a pickup truck, you know, big tires, bulging flanks, massive ground clearance rugged good looks, the machismo of a cowboy or an ironworker with the horsepower to back it up. Honda fed all of the demographic data for the average white-collar pickup owner into the computer, and they got the perfect set of data points out. What they missed was the soul of the pickup in American culture. The Ridgeline may have cupholders but the folks who laid out that cockpit probably never considered them being used as restraining mechanisms for your spit cup.

The pickup is the preferred ride of the Marlborough Man in all of us, the free-ranging, two-fisted, hard drinking, harder loving man composed largely of independence and grit. The Tundra almost got it right once it got to a "full sized" pickup platform, but it's still a little too effete for most of the demographic that places image above function.

Ask yourself, "What would John Wayne drive?" Do you honestly think it's a Ridgeline? Even my daughter who desperately wants a pickup won't consider a Ridgeline. "This is TEXAS", she says with a poorly-concealed sneer. That kinda sums it up.

What Honda produced is a tall minivan with the third-row seat out in the open air. A big-box body on roller skate wheels with a V6 and auto tranny. Nevermind it's an AWD, or that it does have a vestigial bed out back, it may be perfect for running to the store for a case of beer and a bag of charcoal on Saturday morning, but it won't gain you much respect in the parking lot of the local honky-tonk on Saturday night. Honda totally misjudged the market.
Old 09-12-11, 07:50 AM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I voted that they go back in time and add a beak. . . Just like the premise of Terminator, it'd be the fastest way to kill it, by destroying it before it's even born.
Old 09-12-11, 07:56 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

i think the ridgeline is innovative and fills a need, but as it hasn't been updated and doesn't have decent fuel economy, it would need an overhaul to survive. the market does not need another v8 truck though, honda was right to do something different.
Old 09-12-11, 08:36 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Aside from better styling and fuel economy, the Ridgeline could use a mid-gate like the Avalanche to extended the cargo bed into the back seat area when needed.

Quick Reply: Why Honda's Ridgeline pickup is driving off into the sunset