Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tony Starks new Acura roadster??

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-11, 06:33 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by lamar411
Wait, Iron Man 3?
Have you not been paying attention to the movies?

Since the first Iron Man, we have been working our way towards an Avengers movie - remember the guy from SHIELD in the first one? Every comic based movie (related to Avengers) since Iron Man 1 has had something in it leading up to the Avengers movie...

this is that movie
Old 09-05-11, 06:46 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Its The Avengers, Loki and Thor are standing right there
Old 09-05-11, 10:20 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Well, I have to say that Acura at least managed to land their cars in a blockbuster movie like Iron Man, and this one as a car driven by the lead character.
Lexus has yet to be featured prominently in a high profile blockbuster movie, the only one in recent memory is Fast Five, but it's not prominently featured in a more major role, the LFA deserves much much more than that ......
Lexus have appeared in movies like T3, The Omen, Burn after reading, etc., but not really getting much attention except here, they need to really step up with their product placement efforts ......
i was going to say that acura might not have the car, but it got more attention!
Old 09-05-11, 03:57 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

I think it looks kind of cool. The R8 is still cooler though.
Old 09-07-11, 08:50 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

New NSX? If so then they did it proper with hidden (pop up) head lights. LOL

And he should be in an R8 (Jeremy Clarkson: All the c@cks now drive Audis...)
Old 09-11-11, 12:44 PM
ItsanF
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haha toked is right with the Jeremy Clarkson quote. I did hear they were thinking of producing a new nsx, perhaps this is a prototype??
Old 09-11-11, 12:54 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

They've always 'tried' to produce a new NSX. They just never follow through with it.
Old 05-09-12, 10:15 PM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finished watching the Avengers movie and must say this car was looking good! If they decide not to roll it out... thats a great waste of branding and advertising in the movie.
Old 05-09-12, 11:44 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I laughed at the part where they were showing the back of the MDX for the longest time. I can't remember what scene, but it was obvious advertisement. Almost Audi-like
Old 05-10-12, 12:03 AM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GSteg
I laughed at the part where they were showing the back of the MDX for the longest time. I can't remember what scene, but it was obvious advertisement. Almost Audi-like
Lol... Yea I was really wondering what that was all about... just a 5 second pointless shot of the MDX in the street... FAIL could have had the hulk throw it at those giant flying things.
Old 05-10-12, 07:38 AM
LexFather

And another article on why Acura is clueless...some great points here.

http://www.brandchannel.com/home/pos...nt-050712.aspx

ACURA; The Least Inspiring Avenger

Without a doubt, audiences walking out of The Avengers are going to remember seeing one brand among the many that pop up throughout the movie: Acura.
The automaker filled the film, literally start to finish, with its models. And it capped it all off with at the end with Robert Downey Jr.'s Tony "Iron Man" Stark hopping into a new, attention-grabbing Acura NSX roadster — and straight onto the carpet at the movie's premiere.
In the product placement world, The Avengers tie-in is a bit of a coup for Acura, with Stark having preferred Audi R8s in both previous Iron Man films. But by providing only a concept car for its most high profile role ever, has Acura dropped the product placement ball?

In 2008, Audi partnered for the first time with Marvel to put "genius billionaire playboy philanthropist" Tony Stark behind the wheel of its new R8 super car. The partnership was a hit, with both the character and the car complimenting one another.
Two years later, Audi revised its Iron Man role, putting Stark in the seat of the R8 Spyder.
In both cases, Audi was using the cars to create a Halo effect for the whole brand. In something of a coup, Audi models appeared in the background of the first Iron Man film, but the focus, and what audiences left remembering was the R8. At the time, Audi hoped that even those who could not plunk down the cash for the R8 might consider, say, a similar-looking TT.

In Acura's case, while the NSX roadster is the icing on its this product placement partnership, it's the RDX model that sparkles throughout The Avengers that audiences will probably remember. A fine little SUV to be sure, but hardly inspiring as it is basically the fleet car for the faceless and nameless agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Essentially, it's what the Ford Taurus was to government vehicles 20 years ago.

The reason the RDX is the featured Acura model and not the NSX is that the NSX isn't a real car, red carpet showboating notwithstanding. The concept vehicle isn't even a true concept. From the Edmunds Avengers test drive:
"The doors open easily and feel solid — like a real NSX. Once they're open, however, what awaits the driver is a throwback interior barely changed from 1990. That's because, under its skin, The Tony Stark Acura NSX Roadster is really a 1991 Acura NSX."

Essentially, the NSX roadster is the equivalent of guys with expert reproduction Iron Man costumes: great looking on the outside, but on the inside it's just a costume.
Audi itself has learned that cool looking concept cars placed in films often don't go beyond just cool concepts. In 2004, the brand garnered tons of media and audience attention with its RSQ sport coupe concept car in the sci-fi film I, Robot. See, also, the Lexus concept in Minority Report.
By comparison, the R8's Iron Man role was the beginning of a role for the model. Soon after Stark was seen on the car, the R8 was showing up in TV shows and movies like NCIS, The Mentalist, Date Night, Surrogates and Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen. It was a real car whose halo effect washed over the entire Audi lineup.
Speaking of Transformers, this "real car" importance is one Mercedes also seems to understand. For the latest installment of the series, Dark of the Moon, Mercedes hit the screen with its awesome Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG, nearly upstaging its Victoria's Secret model co-star. Again, it's a real car that you can buy right now (but probably not).
The opportunity afforded to automakers by a high-profile tie-in and placement is more complex than just creating a temporary buzz. Practiced most successfully, auto product placement works best when its done with a highly characteristic new model that plays a major role and that's available in the immediate future. Examples include not just the R8 and the SLS AMG, but also the wildly successful Dodge Charger placement in Fast Five and the king of all auto placements, James Bond's BMW Z3.

Again, the RDX may be a car you wouldn't mind driving, but it, and its role, doesn't inspire heroism.

In practice, Acura's dilemma can be best illustrated in its tie-in marketing. For both Iron Man and Iron Man 2, Audi was able to fill its tie-in websites and video commercials with its premier product, the R8.

Meanwhile, Acura's Avengers website is all about the RDX, never once mentioning the NSX everyone is talking about.

Old 05-10-12, 10:03 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Meanwhile, Acura's Avengers website is all about the RDX, never once mentioning the NSX everyone is talking about.
True, but you can't sell what you don't make! The R8 was readily available for all wannabe ironmen to buy!
Old 05-10-12, 10:13 AM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
And another article on why Acura is clueless...some great points here.

http://www.brandchannel.com/home/pos...nt-050712.aspx

ACURA; The Least Inspiring Avenger
Lol I was hesitant to jump into the "WTF Acura?!?!" club, but after experiencing their... (trying to find a neutral word) lack of optimizing opportunity. I must agree completely. I actually like the look of the TL all generations, but seriousily Acura? WTF?!?