Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus CT Sales Besting Rivals Despite Supply Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-11, 05:39 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Guys, back on topic about the CT please (some OT removed).
Old 09-05-11, 09:49 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Interesting because in Japan, the HS has a sibling (or extremely close relative).

The general consensus appears to be that the Toyota version looks better than its Lexus counterpart.

The Lexus HS (as it is now) is really a joke.
AWE!!!! THAT'S where I remembered seeing the new 2012 Camry XLE rims!
Old 09-06-11, 06:42 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MR_F1
It's redundant and looks like a corolla. Replace with ESh.
This. I still think the HS' biggest problem is that it looks like an ugly econocar. Toyota decided that Lexus needed a Prius-esque model, and yet, decided to design a car that could easily be confused for a Corolla, Sentra, Civic or Yaris. One of the best features about the Prius is that it's unique looking and cannot be mistaken for anything else...HS...not so much.

CT is more attractive, gets better MPG, is less expensive, and for some, has more utility. ESh will likely best the current HS' numbers by a significant margin, so again, the car will be irrelevant unless they reposition/redesign it as something else.

Originally Posted by spwolf
I was just checking Euro sales, and CTh was at fault for bringing Lexus sales up in August between 100% and 500%, despite shortages.

In Netherlands it sold 500 units in August (Dutch have some tax breaks for hybrids), which beats whole brands like Honda, Mazda, Alfa, Mitsubishi, etc, and beat some other new models like A1 or A6.
That is great news. Thank you!
Old 09-06-11, 07:56 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

I really, really like the CT and would rock it in a second if we ever needed another wagon in the garage.

CT is so much nicer looking than the HS.
Old 09-06-11, 09:48 AM
scgt652
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The CT is doing an impressive job of attracting new customers to the Lexus brand. 45% of CT buyers are under the age of 45, and nearly half are first time Lexus owners.
Old 01-13-12, 10:32 AM
LexFather

Its amazing to me to see the hate and poo flung at the HS and people are ignoring that the CT has kicked all sort of butt in its segment. I believe Lexus sold over 2,000 in December!! This is a segment people said (including myself) would not work or sell, the hatchback luxury car in America. The 3 series hatch flopped here, the A3 never sold anywhere as strong. Lexus on its first effort really did their H.W and produced a Home Run here. With no supply, an earthquake and supposedly Lexus "falling off" the CT sold remarkably well.

I'm driving one again. Really nice car. Can't beat 42 MPG!

I guess I'll need to present the CT's case since the media rather explain why the HS sucks instead of giving the CT and Lexus kudos and props for that success.

Old 01-13-12, 10:41 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Its amazing to me to see the hate and poo flung at the HS and people are ignoring that the CT has kicked all sort of butt in its segment. I believe Lexus sold over 2,000 in December!! This is a segment people said (including myself) would not work or sell, the hatchback luxury car in America. The 3 series hatch flopped here, the A3 never sold anywhere as strong. Lexus on its first effort really did their H.W and produced a Home Run here. With no supply, an earthquake and supposedly Lexus "falling off" the CT sold remarkably well.

I guess I'll need to present the CT's case since the media rather explain why the HS sucks instead of giving the CT and Lexus kudos and props for that success.
Small cars need to be fuel efficient to succeed, it's why Americans would bother to downsize. The CT is fuel efficient, which is why it is doing much better than its German rivals. Cars like the Buick Verano aren't, so I suspect they won't sell all too well. The HS wasn't either.
Old 01-13-12, 10:54 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Small cars need to be fuel efficient to succeed, it's why Americans would bother to downsize. The CT is fuel efficient, which is why it is doing much better than its German rivals. Cars like the Buick Verano aren't, so I suspect they won't sell all too well. The HS wasn't either.
It does seem for America, for a small luxury vehicle to success MPG is a major motivator. The CT is doing well elsewhere too but its also based on different tastes etc.

The Verano starts at 23k, 7k less than a CT so it might sell based on price.

Old 01-13-12, 11:01 AM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

I believe Lexus sold over 2,000 in December!! This is a segment people said (including myself) would not work or sell, the hatchback luxury car in America. The 3 series hatch flopped here, the A3 never sold anywhere as strong. Lexus on its first effort really did their H.W and produced a Home Run here. With no supply, an earthquake and supposedly Lexus "falling off" the CT sold remarkably well.

You are correct Mike. Lexus sold well over 2,000 CT's in the month of December 2011. But get this Lexus sold 14,381 CT's for the entire year of 2011 starting from March through December...not too shabby...
Old 01-13-12, 11:07 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Trexus
You are correct Mike. Lexus sold well over 2,000 CT's in the month of December 2011. But get this Lexus sold 14,381 CT's for the entire year of 2011 starting from March through December...not too shabby...

The goal was 12,000, 1,000 a month. They are doubling that. It is an absolute shame that the success of the CT isn't being spoken about at all.

Gas prices have even decreased and CT sales have increased.

Now we need a CT F

Old 01-13-12, 11:13 AM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

The goal was 12,000, 1,000 a month. They are doubling that. It is an absolute shame that the success of the CT isn't being spoken about at all.

Gas prices have even decreased and CT sales have increased.

Now we need a CT F
You're thinking:

CT 200h
CT 300h (2.5L four cylinder hybrid) Maybe?

CT F (3.5L V6 from IS 350?)
Old 01-13-12, 11:26 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Go back to the Camry 2.4Lor new 2,5L hybrid .
I'd be interested in a CT if that 0-60 in 10 seconds drops a couple of seconds.
Old 01-13-12, 11:34 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

funny thing is that the CT only gets 5 more mpg than the HS but with 50 less hp. I guess crucially the CT breaks the 40mpg mark.

However, it is clear to me that consumers still buy vehicles based on looks more than anything in the luxury segment. If the CT had the HS powertrain and was priced at 35K, I think it would still sell more than an HS with the prius powertrain.
Old 01-13-12, 11:39 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
funny thing is that the CT only gets 5 more mpg than the HS but with 50 less hp. I guess crucially the CT breaks the 40mpg mark.

However, it is clear to me that consumers still buy vehicles based on looks more than anything in the luxury segment. If the CT had the HS powertrain and was priced at 35K, I think it would still sell more than an HS with the prius powertrain.
Again,I'd buy one and go for $40K with NAV and other options.
The CT needs some power.
A 2.4L or 2,5L hybrids will get that magic 40+ MPGs.
Old 01-13-12, 11:48 AM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

I love everything about the CT except the power output... but I guess you can't have your cake and eat it, too. If I were in the market for a daily driver and didn't care about performance for whatever reason, I think that would be very high on my list.

Quick Reply: Lexus CT Sales Besting Rivals Despite Supply Issues