Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

11 exotic sports cars impounded following suspected street-racing

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-11, 01:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

this is "awesome". to show just how rich a lot of chinese are in vancouver area. even if these cars were completely taken away they probably still wouldn't feel a thing and just get another one.

me being a kid before, i can only say just pray they one day grow up and know where and when to do what
Old 09-01-11, 02:29 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
this is "awesome". to show just how rich a lot of chinese are in vancouver area. even if these cars were completely taken away they probably still wouldn't feel a thing and just get another one.
Look at them, they don't remotely look unhappy at all

They are probably trying to think how they can make this event as an excuse to go buy a new car
Attached Thumbnails 11 exotic sports cars impounded following suspected street-racing-kids.jpg  
Old 09-01-11, 02:50 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

stupid kids
wasting money...
kids that young dont have enough driving experience to handle those machines properly

i remember a while back a GTR crashed in Richmond, BC too by a young driver...
they just dont know where the limit is
Old 09-01-11, 03:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by BNR34
Look at them, they don't remotely look unhappy at all

They are probably trying to think how they can make this event as an excuse to go buy a new car
that, and maybe they were talking about where to go eat and karaoke next. tons of people from hong kong in vancouver, just go imagine how rich their parents are

Originally Posted by UberNoob
stupid kids
wasting money...
kids that young dont have enough driving experience to handle those machines properly

i remember a while back a GTR crashed in Richmond, BC too by a young driver...
they just dont know where the limit is
fwiw a lot of adults with exotics they don't know how to handle those machines too

i probably would say waste of the cars. from an economy point of view, they are driving the economy by spending all these money not getting into politics, but in some way, some local government they can't afford to "lose" these money movers
Old 09-01-11, 03:56 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

that, and maybe they were talking about where to go eat and karaoke next.
The only thing they are stressing or unhappy about is how long is impounding their cars are going to delay their eating and karaoke activities that is next on the schedule.

I guess these kids are still not rich enough, the truely wealthy ones leave the scene immediately and someone else will come handle the situation. You never see Paris Hilton waiting on the side of the street everytime she got car troubles.

tons of people from hong kong in vancouver,
Yes, and most of them are rich.

just go imagine how rich their parents are
Tens and hundreds of millions.

from an economy point of view, they are driving the economy by spending all these money not getting into politics, but in some way, some local government they can't afford to "lose" these money movers
That's why anyone that got a decent amount of money can get a Canadian citizenship.
Old 09-01-11, 04:00 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

I still don't understand the mentality of some parents to buy their kids such fancy cars. I was told when i turned 16 that my parents would help me buy my first car by matching my contribution. A combined $1200 later, and I was the proud and happy owner of a 1989 Pontiac Firebird with a v6 engine, no A/C and 170,000 miles. It performed its duties faithfully(well, mostly), and I sold it at the age of 19, spent a couple years overseas, and came home and bought(with my own money) my 92 LS400. Not the fanciest car around(in fact, probably the oldest and most unreliable compared to my roommates' cars), but it gets the job done(usually).

If I possessed the wealth of Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, and the Walton family combined, I would still buy my 16 year old kid an old broken car. It's a valuable life experience. It teaches you to take care of your ****, it provides an incentive to work, later on in life when you have a better, but not too great car, at least you can look back on it and say "Hey. It could be worse). More importantly, it keeps your sorry *** humble. Nothing I hate more in life than a cocky 16 year old kid driving a new car that daddy bought for him.
Old 09-01-11, 04:17 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
I still don't understand the mentality of some parents to buy their kids such fancy cars. I was told when i turned 16 that my parents would help me buy my first car by matching my contribution. A combined $1200 later,
Everyone get different amount of help from their parents, you got $600 from yours, some get $600 millions. Some people are borned without parents. Is all just pure luck.

If I possessed the wealth of Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, and the Walton family combined, I would still buy my 16 year old kid an old broken car. It's a valuable life experience. It teaches you to take care of your ****, it provides an incentive to work, later on in life when you have a better, but not too great car, at least you can look back on it and say "Hey. It could be worse). More importantly, it keeps your sorry *** humble. Nothing I hate more in life than a cocky 16 year old kid driving a new car that daddy bought for him.
All great advises and wisdoms, you just need to learn most things in life are not fair, just ignore it

You hate that 16 years old with a brand new Ferrari handed to him, but the kids dying of hunger in South Africa is hating you for never having to worry about food. Same idea.

You being an American is already much more privileged then millions of people in the world. Everyone is borned with different level of privilege, you can't change or argue about that. But just for being in America, you can always work your *** off to make a lot of money, some people don't even have that option.

Quoting Will Smith's rich kid character in the movie "Bad boys": "What, I'm supposed to APOLOGIZE for my family leaving me money?"

Last edited by BNR34; 09-01-11 at 05:02 PM.
Old 09-01-11, 05:15 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Everyone get different amount of help from their parents, you got $600 from yours, some get $600 millions. Some people are borned without parents. Is all just pure luck.

All great advises and wisdoms, you just need to learn most things in life are not fair, just ignore it

You hate that 16 years old with a brand new Ferrari handed to him, but the kids dying of hunger in South Africa is hating you for never having to worry about food. Same idea.

You being an American is already much more privileged then millions of people in the world. Everyone is borned with different level of privilege, you can't change or argue about that. But just for being in America, you can always work your *** off to make a lot of money, some people don't even have that option.

Quoting Will Smith's rich kid character in the movie "Bad boys": "What, I'm supposed to APOLOGIZE for my family leaving me money?"
so true. you said the truth.
Old 09-01-11, 05:24 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by STIG
so true. you said the truth.
Thank you.

I get jealous too, I am so jealous of people who don't have to work a day in their life, I have to work everyday for 40 years

What can you do?
Old 09-01-11, 05:45 PM
JessePS

I still don't understand the mentality of some parents to buy their kids such fancy cars.
Some parents just want their kids to have what they couldn't have when they were younger. Some just don't care and are accustom to spending money on their kids, seeing that what happened to them when they were little.

I remember when I got my permit, my father wanted to get me a Land Rover (not in the league of those kids in Van but same difference). I was like hell no, because I knew if I drove that to school everyone would bug me. Even though a few people came to school with a MB S-Class and what not. So I ended up opting out for a Smart Fortwo (my choice).

I know I removed most of your post, about Gates and what not. I would probably be the same way if I would have kids. Get them a beater.

Last edited by JessePS; 09-01-11 at 05:51 PM.
Old 09-01-11, 06:17 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

that, and maybe they were talking about where to go eat and karaoke next. tons of people from hong kong in vancouver, just go imagine how rich their parents are
yup, saw the news last nite about this. and for the record, there are ALOT of extremely wealthy people from mainland china.

my buddy at SR Auto (tuning shop for all these lambos, ferrari, aston martin, etc) says majority of his business is from mainland china. in fact, one of the lambos that got busted last night was tuned by SR.

I guess these kids are still not rich enough, the truely wealthy ones leave the scene immediately and someone else will come handle the situation. You never see Paris Hilton waiting on the side of the street everytime she got car troubles.
and how do you leave the scene if you are busted by the police after they pull you over? leaving the scene would constitute a felony (similar to hit and run)

That's why anyone that got a decent amount of money can get a Canadian citizenship.
which is why vancouver real estate is one of the most expensive places to live in canada (when compared to annual salary). new york is expensive, but at least the salary is higher to compensate. not so in vancouver.

Last edited by Stormforge; 09-01-11 at 06:21 PM.
Old 09-01-11, 06:26 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

The only thing they are stressing or unhappy about is how long is impounding their cars are going to delay their eating and karaoke activities that is next on the schedule.

Yes, and most of them are rich.

Tens and hundreds of millions.

not related to these kids but most of the new immigrants are from mainland china now
a lot of the HK people have moved back to Hong Kong
most of the canadian foreign wealth is coming from China these days
Old 09-01-11, 06:28 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

and here's a true story of a kid from mainland china - my buddy's friend tutors one of these kids. and every year, he trades in his car for another model. all paid in cash. the cars we are talking about is lambo, ferrari, etc. dealer kills him on the trade in but he doesn't care (nor does his parents). and i believe his family has a stable of exotic cars/sedans...that's how rich they are!

edit: and if you do a google search, you will see that exotic cars in canada are waaaay more expensive than in the US. in fact, cost conscience canadians who are in the market for an exotic head down south to buy one and ship one back up.
Old 09-01-11, 06:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

damn, so well said
Old 09-01-11, 06:31 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

I was talking the other day with the dad of an old friend of mine(haven't seen the friend for a few years). My friend has made some poor choices in his life since I last saw him. His dad was telling me that among his biggest regrets is that he bought his boy an almost new Dodge Ram when he got his license. I guess it really caused some attitude issues. It also polarized him from his siblings because his older sisters had both received 30 year old beaters upon getting their licenses.......

Also, don't get me wrong, I was never really jealous of those kids in high school. Would I have enjoyed a nicer car? Sure, who wouldn't? But I never whined or moaned or paid much thought to it(except maybe a few times while laying underneath the car trying to fix something).

I also understand how greatly blessed I am compared to most of the world. I just spent 2 years in the Philippines and saw the poverty in the areas I was at. It is heart wrenching. Even though there were times where we were out of money and just trying to get by until we got more, I still felt like we had it easy. Most American's don't realize how well we have it here and complain all the time about what they don't have. That's a huge part of the reason our economy is where it is at. People HAD to have nice big homes, they COULD NOT live without their fancy big screens, latest gadgets, expensive cars, etc. Got into a lot of personal debt that they couldn't pay back. Also saw it on the government side of things. People demanded more entitlement from the government, such as free health care, more subsidies(personal and corporate). Hell, now cell phones are a civil right in Pennsylvania? Our society is a big bunch of wussies, and I'll admit that I've unfortunately done my share of complaining from time to time.

Quick Reply: 11 exotic sports cars impounded following suspected street-racing