Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Sienna Sport thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-11, 08:23 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love selling this van, they practically sell themselves. Wether enthusiast or not people looking for one are never disappointed. The LE sells more tho :/
Old 08-30-11, 08:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by J.P.
auto-enthusiast and practical does not mix well
I have to disagree. I have a quite-practical Outback, and am quite enthused with it. In fact, I may very likely replace it with another one....or another Subaru model.

I am in the anti mini-van crowd, so is my wife, its not nonsense to us, thanks
For the purposes of this discussion, the "nonsense" I was refering to was not you or your wife personally, but the stereotypical idea, often found in the auto-press and so-called "enthusiast" magazines, that minivans are basically for soccer-moms and emasculated males, despite the fact that anyone (not just a soccer-mom or soccer-dad) whose needs are practically met by a minivan can buy and enjoy one.

It's like saying that buying a Honda or Toyota is "Un-American" (there are those who still believe that), even though many Japanese-nameplate vehicles (including my Outback) are now built in American plants, with American labor.

Sienna looks like a nice ride, I would also look at the toyota highlander as we found it to have a big back seat that could take a infant seat very well
Agreed, if one simply prefers the Highlander's SUV body-style to the Sienna. But the Sienna, unlike any other American-market minivan, also offers AWD for bad weather.

The Highlander, though, has a good comeback......unlike the Sienna, you can get a high-MPG hybrid version, though, especially as a used-car/CPO with low depreciation, it is likely to be pricey.

I realize, though, that, in the thread topic, we are generally talking about one specific minivan with specific equipment, so I'll try and keep the discussion centered more on that than on minivans in general.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-30-11 at 08:59 PM.
Old 08-30-11, 10:48 PM
jt92126
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=stlgrym3;6645645] more fuel efficient than the Odyssey equip with VCM.

Where did you get this MPG info from? Sienna is 18/24 and the Odyssey TE is 19/28. Sienna looks nicer exterior wise but has ****ty hard plastic panels inside. Odyssey has weird exterior but nicer interior. Too bad Lexus doesn't make a "sienna version" van. That would be awesome for some folks who would'nt mind a lux van.
Old 08-30-11, 11:13 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

The new Sienna is my #1 pic. And Toyota should be applauded for bringing a true Sport model to the table. The thing looks great all around!

Hamer FTW!
Old 08-30-11, 11:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Sienna looks like a nice ride, I would also look at the toyota highlander as we found it to have a big back seat that could take a infant seat very well
applaud applaud

i am not anti minivan, i am just anti-sienna and odyssey. bring over the alphard and you can see me put down deposit like that. sorry to say but the new sienna doesn't impress me much. i have driven a few and took apart a few too. car is louder than before, build quality is also not as good as before imho.

and yes, we have a family. yes we have kid. no we will not get minivan. and i know more than a few other similar families

no doubt though, minivans like sienna are very very practical. tons of space, easy to get in and out, and take a lot of people. but sorry, the look and the drive, forget about it
Old 08-31-11, 12:38 AM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love the outside look of the SE Sienna, it definatly looks awesome. But have you guys sat inside of one? That thing has the most cheap and ugly plastic I have seen in a car with that price.
Old 08-31-11, 07:36 AM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE=jt92126;6647754]
Originally Posted by stlgrym3
more fuel efficient than the Odyssey equip with VCM.

Where did you get this MPG info from? Sienna is 18/24 and the Odyssey TE is 19/28. Sienna looks nicer exterior wise but has ****ty hard plastic panels inside. Odyssey has weird exterior but nicer interior. Too bad Lexus doesn't make a "sienna version" van. That would be awesome for some folks who would'nt mind a lux van.
those MPG numbers you listed are all EPA estimate. according to Mortortrend magazine (they have both in their fleet), the real life MPG between the two is very close with Toyota leading, and Sienna's V6 is a lot powerful than Odyssey's, 6 speed auto really makes huge difference.
Old 08-31-11, 09:37 PM
jt92126
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't know about that figure from MT since the Ody has been in their fleet for only 1 month and you have to account for different payloads, driving conditions,etc. Yeah the Sienna has 18 more hp(quiet alot) but the ody has a little more torque and is slightly lower to the ground and I think slightly less weight too. They both have 6 spd (at least the Touring) and the Honda has VCM. Most hondas and toyotas gets pretty close or better than EPA anyway. Like I said, Sienna looks great exterior wise but ****ty interior plastic. Too bad Lexus won't make a van version to combat the Mercedes R Class. That would be perfect for van people who wants a little more luxury in their vans. It's a shame how nasty the material quality in the Sienna feels, especially what they charge for the Limited
Old 09-02-11, 09:05 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by jt92126
Don't know about that figure from MT since the Ody has been in their fleet for only 1 month and you have to account for different payloads, driving conditions,etc. Yeah the Sienna has 18 more hp(quiet alot) but the ody has a little more torque and is slightly lower to the ground and I think slightly less weight too. They both have 6 spd (at least the Touring) and the Honda has VCM. Most hondas and toyotas gets pretty close or better than EPA anyway. Like I said, Sienna looks great exterior wise but ****ty interior plastic. Too bad Lexus won't make a van version to combat the Mercedes R Class. That would be perfect for van people who wants a little more luxury in their vans. It's a shame how nasty the material quality in the Sienna feels, especially what they charge for the Limited
Its a shame how nasty the Odyessy looks. ...you don't even get painted sideview mirrors. The only relevant Odyessy is a loaded 40k plus EX L model...otherwise they lack features.

The R class sells like crap, no need to enter that market.

Old 09-03-11, 12:10 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

If you need the space, vans are better than SUVs. They also handle better, have a lower center of gravity, and, generally are quicker. My Odyssey will show it's taillights to a new Tahoe - no problem.

A Tahoe can accept 8 boxed wheels with all it's rear seats folded. A RAV4? Maybe 4 boxed wheels. My van will accept 8 boxed wheels behind the middle seat. It also has a lower liftover height, so it's easier to load. And I can stand my classic beach cruisers upright in the back, inside the van. Try that with a cute-ute, or even a full-size SUV.

At this point, soccer moms drive SUVs, not mini vans, so the stigma is bunk.

I know I won't convert you... just making a point.

I might ditch the Ody for a Sienna at some point. Once you have a van, you won't know how you ever got along without one.
Old 09-03-11, 08:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
i am not anti minivan, i am just anti-sienna and odyssey. bring over the alphard and you can see me put down deposit like that. sorry to say but the new sienna doesn't impress me much. i have driven a few and took apart a few too. car is louder than before, build quality is also not as good as before imho.

and yes, we have a family. yes we have kid. no we will not get minivan. and i know more than a few other similar families

no doubt though, minivans like sienna are very very practical. tons of space, easy to get in and out, and take a lot of people. but sorry, the look and the drive, forget about it
I agree that the Sienna is not quite as rock-solid or precision-built as before. Toyota has acknowledged this problem in a number of its vehicles.....we'll see if future models show improvement.

The Sienna, though, still has one ace-in-the-hole that puts it above U.S.-market competitors.....the AWD option.
Old 09-03-11, 09:09 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree that the Sienna is not quite as rock-solid or precision-built as before. Toyota has acknowledged this problem in a number of its vehicles.....we'll see if future models show improvement.

The Sienna, though, still has one ace-in-the-hole that puts it above U.S.-market competitors.....the AWD option.
with toyoda stepping in and his promise, i have high hope
Old 09-03-11, 10:10 AM
GS3Tek
Forum Moderator

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Besides the flexibility of cargo space, if you don't have more than 5 passengers, there's really no need to get a minivan.

Originally Posted by rominl
car is louder than before, build quality is also not as good as before imho.
With the hard interior plastic over the soft cloth/vinyl materials, I believe this can attribute to the loudness.
I think the hard plastic can't absorb the noise as good as the soft materials that were in the past gen.

Build quality is not as good as before, but it's not that bad either.

Seeing the new camry's interior, I'm sure toyota will improve in the next sienna refresh.
Old 09-03-11, 10:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
With the hard interior plastic over the soft cloth/vinyl materials, I believe this can attribute to the loudness.
I think the hard plastic can't absorb the noise as good as the soft materials that were in the past gen.
You have at least somewhat of a point, but the main sound insulation, in most vehicles, comes from the amount/type of insulation underhood, inside the doors/window seals, trunk, and wheel-wells, not necessarily in what kind of material is used in the dash and trim.
Old 09-05-11, 10:22 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Besides the flexibility of cargo space, if you don't have more than 5 passengers, there's really no need to get a minivan.

Build quality is not as good as before, but it's not that bad either.

Seeing the new camry's interior, I'm sure toyota will improve in the next sienna refresh.
i actually wondered if it's the insulation. i seem to hear more of the engine noise than before

Quick Reply: Toyota Sienna Sport thoughts