Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus salesperson - yearly earnings ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-15, 09:41 AM
KSJT
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Lexus salesperson - yearly earnings ?

Hello All

I was curious as to what the "typical" yearly income/earnings is for a Lexus salesperson, who works at a Lexus Dealer. Texas-area if geography matters.

Thank You
Old 02-06-15, 10:03 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Probably depends on if the dealership pays their salespeople a straight yearly salary regardless of sales, or if the salespeople get a traditional commission, which is a percentage-cut from each sale.
Old 02-06-15, 10:20 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This may help a little.
http://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/sa...0,5_KE6,11.htm
Old 02-06-15, 01:56 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

not enough in my experience in AZ because the ones I have run into are usually thieves, liars, and very uneducated .....even in terms of the product they are selling. Im sure it varies regionally a lot. You dont sell cars to get rich. You usually sell cars because you have no choice. It seems like a huge revolving door type of position. Its not like back in the day where your dad had been buying cars with the same sales man at the same dealer for 20 years. Now its like , Steve, the ex lawyer who is getting a divorce needs to pay the bills while he looks for a new place, job, and woman. Also many jump from dealer to dealer in my experience.
Old 02-06-15, 02:00 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

OP: Career change?

Hey jokes aside, I wouldn't mind when I retire to work part-time at my favorite Lexus dealer to keep a little busy!
Old 02-06-15, 03:57 PM
KSJT
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
OP: Career change?

Hey jokes aside, I wouldn't mind when I retire to work part-time at my favorite Lexus dealer to keep a little busy!
this is my exact thoughts. I am a little put-off by the "liars and crooks" comment, for some reason I thought since it was Lexus (versus Tom's Used Cars) we might have a more higher level ethics and type of sales staff
Old 02-06-15, 06:30 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by KSJT
Hello All

I was curious as to what the "typical" yearly income/earnings is for a Lexus salesperson, who works at a Lexus Dealer. Texas-area if geography matters.

Thank You
I think it really depends on a lot of things, if the dealer is a high traffic location that has a good territory with little Lexus competition than the salesperson likely does well, but so does the dealer.
Old 02-06-15, 06:37 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

My salesman has been at my dealer for over 20 years. Fantastic guy!
Old 02-06-15, 06:55 PM
Lexman83
Driver School Candidate

This depends on the Salesperson solely. Ranges are from $60,000 - $200,000 per year with the average being around $90,000 for the US. As I was told by my first Manager in my first dealership on my first day: "Bums get bum pay; Pros get pro pay"...
Old 02-06-15, 06:58 PM
Lexman83
Driver School Candidate

Default Huh?

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
not enough in my experience in AZ because the ones I have run into are usually thieves, liars, and very uneducated .....even in terms of the product they are selling. Im sure it varies regionally a lot. You dont sell cars to get rich. You usually sell cars because you have no choice. It seems like a huge revolving door type of position. Its not like back in the day where your dad had been buying cars with the same sales man at the same dealer for 20 years. Now its like , Steve, the ex lawyer who is getting a divorce needs to pay the bills while he looks for a new place, job, and woman. Also many jump from dealer to dealer in my experience.
What experience might that be?
Old 02-06-15, 07:02 PM
Lexman83
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JDR76
My salesman has been at my dealer for over 20 years. Fantastic guy!
This is what I love reading about. THAT'S a car guy, not many of those left these days...
Old 02-06-15, 07:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexman83
This is what I love reading about. THAT'S a car guy, not many of those left these days...
Agreed. Many of the really car-oriented salespeople I've known (and those who know their products well) are either retired or getting ready to retire. Many of their replacements (fortunately, not all) are just businesspeople centered around the bottom line....though, to be fair, customer-satisfaction, especially with Certified Used Cars, does seem to play a much higher role in the auto business today than it did for decades.
Old 02-07-15, 06:47 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KSJT
Hello All

Thank You
As ans ex salesman I can tell you this, first of all it does not matter which dealeship you work for, they precent you are going to collect doesnt change whole lot 25-30%.

No, i take it back it does which dealership you work for, but if you work for a NEW car dealership like Lexus, Nissan, Ford etc. than yea, it doesnt matter!

So I am going to talk about New car dealership first.

Second of all, majority of salesman who worked less than 5y is not going to make more than $45,000y on avg.

The sales people really start to make money after working for 1 dealer at least 7y, majority of their clients are return clients!!! They make $55-65k

After 10y at one dealership they can make b/n $65-100,000. To get above $65k you need to be working your *** off 12h every day, and sell many used cars!! And working at a used car dealership.

In other words tops saleman whow work at new car dealership make on avg up to $65k.

Used car dealership like cermax, can make up to 100$k after 10y or so.

First 2y on avg working at a new car dealership saleman make around $30-40k. Used car dealership a little more, maybe $35-45k

Last edited by FastTags; 02-07-15 at 06:51 AM.
Old 02-07-15, 07:04 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Let me go a little more in depth:

When you work for a new dealership, it takes long time to really make money bc avg pay per car is about $250. You get 25-30% from the profit. So, say the new car was sold for $35,000, dealer profited $$2,000, you make about $500, the problem is that dealers dont make $2000 profit( that is if the car was sold at Msrp), bc most people now days dont want to pay over invoice $500. Thats why on avg saleman makes about $200-$250 per car.

A new guy will sell maybe 2 cars a week, so even if he make $250 per car, which is about $500 a week on avg.

On used car profits are much higher anywhere from $1500-$4000, so if you sell 1 ised car and the profit is say $4000, then they deduct what they invested like new tires, new breaks, etc.. Which may end up being around $2500, in that case you collect around $600.

New guy on avg will sell 4-7 cars a month, a pro will sell 15-20 cars a month, but a pro will likely make very little per car , the manager more likely to give away a car to a pro bc he onows that he will sell 20 cars anyway!

Also, ther is times when the sales person cant deliver the car or when the buyer talks to two different salespeople in that case the profit splits 50/50. That is why they always ask if you talk to anyone. Or they want to make sure that they can deliver the car on the day they work.

Last edited by FastTags; 02-07-15 at 07:14 AM.
Old 02-07-15, 07:17 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

I have worked as a salesman for about 2y, my bigest paycheck was $800/week.
In the winter time northen states, are very slow so you sell
Maybe 1 car a week, which maybe $150 paycheck, but yoir sallary maybe $250/w, they will give you $250 but next week say you made $600, they will deduct the $100 from you!

The good thing is some dealership will give you a car and paid insurance. When i was working for a Mitsubishi dealer they gave me a lancer. Brand spanking new, free insurance and dealer plates came with it.

Quick Reply: Lexus salesperson - yearly earnings ?