Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ferrari 458

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-11, 06:41 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I must be one of the few who DON'T like the design. Ever since they started doing this sharp headlight crap, imo, visually they've gone downhill. For example the Maranello is sleek, streamline, and overall looks gorgeous. These new Ferrari's are too busy, have no flow, and imo, are offensive looking.
Old 08-22-11, 06:45 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Jewcano
I must be one of the few who DON'T like the design. Ever since they started doing this sharp headlight crap, imo, visually they've gone downhill. For example the Maranello is sleek, streamline, and overall looks gorgeous. These new Ferrari's are too busy, have no flow, and imo, are offensive looking.
Styling is totally subjective, nothing is love by all
Old 08-22-11, 07:16 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Totally agreed. Last Ferrari design I liked was the F430. Since then, all of their designs have been mediocre at best, and the latest ones downright offensive. Enzo Ferrari must be rolling in his grave with the Ferrari FF, and if he were still alive he'd probably slap everyone in Maranello that approved of the 458's styling.

458 still looks goofy to me. This spyder looks slightly better than the coupe, but not a big difference.
Old 08-22-11, 08:23 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

hot, but id rather rock the coupe
Old 08-22-11, 08:54 PM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
Why can't the Japanese do this?
u cant have in both ways,,
Old 08-22-11, 10:09 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I think this is easily one of the top 3 best looking Ferraris ever. I am amazed. Thanks for sharing this Henry
Old 08-23-11, 04:08 AM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

I don't get the fascination or obsession with hard tops. I figured that was something that would just be on the California. It seems every gen Ferrari is making the convertible more and more poser, which a roadster doesn't have to be.

I love that flying buttress on the rear quarter!
It's on the F430 and 360 as well... I was actually hoping that since they removed the rear scoops that they would go back to a flat deck like on the 355. I think it would look better that way.

No, you're definitely not alone. There has been grumbling even on fchat since release about the looks. It's just way too busy. The headlights are godawful. There are only a 2 angles that I think this car looks OK from. I also think the 458 looks even worse in person than in photos. And it already looks awful in photos.

Based on these photos, I will say the convertible looks better than the coupe... but that's not saying a lot.
Old 08-23-11, 04:29 AM
St00k
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After continued speculation, an excessive number of artist renderings and then leaked photos last week, Ferrari has now officially revealed the 458 Spider with a retractable hard top.

A world’s first for a mid-engine car, the hard top is made of aluminum and fits just in front of the engine compartment without affecting performance or aerodynamics. Ferrari even claims it weighs less than a traditional folding soft top (55 lbs to be exact), and takes just 14 seconds to open or close.

The stunning look of the car is even functional, with the new rear design helping to direct air towards to engine intakes, as well as to the clutch and gearbox oil coolers. In addition, the Spider comes with an electrically-deployable wind screen to reduce turbulence in the cockpit and allow “normal conversation” at speeds of up to 124 mph.

Powering the Spider is the same 562-hp 4.5-liter V8 engine as the coupe, although Ferrari has made adjustments to the suspension setup, throttle mapping and exhaust to deliver an optimized top-down experience.

Ferrari will officially reveal the car on September 13th at the Frankfurt Auto Show. Look for plenty more pictures then.
See all the photos at AutoGuide.com
Old 08-23-11, 06:56 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Awesome looking, but I would still go for the coupe version
Old 08-23-11, 07:00 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

I like F430 better overall, but I'd still rock it
Old 08-23-11, 07:36 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

YUMMY!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPIIBRFDNcw
Old 08-23-11, 08:27 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Wow this car is looking great. It's aggressive looking yet not offensive at all. One of the better styling Ferrari out there!
Old 08-23-11, 11:57 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
I don't get the fascination or obsession with hard tops. I figured that was something that would just be on the California.
Mainly wind noise, I own a SC430 and I love it being quiet like a normal coupe when the top is up. Soft top sounds like the top is still half open when it is closed. I live 1/4 mile from the ocean in So Cal, the best weather in the world, it is sunny and 70 degrees 340 days in the year. My top is not always down. The other huge benefit is hard top looks good even when it is up, I can't think of one soft top car looks good with the top up. 16M/360/355 looks awful when the top is up.

With that being said, for my weekend Ferrari, I do prefer having a soft top like the 16M so it can keep the clear engine window.

Hard top vs. soft top, major pros and cons on both. But hard top got more pros. If they can manage to have a hard top and still keep the clear engine window, I would prefer having a hard top.

It seems every gen Ferrari is making the convertible more and more poser, which a roadster doesn't have to be.
In my opinion every car costing more then $100k is a poser car. Performance wise, you can always find an under $100k car that can match or smoke any exotic cars in all performance categories. The sole purpose of any exotic car is for looking and sounding cool = total posing.

It's on the F430 and 360 as well... I was actually hoping that since they removed the rear scoops that they would go back to a flat deck like on the 355. I think it would look better that way.
I do think the flat deck on the 355 look best.

No, you're definitely not alone. There has been grumbling even on fchat since release about the looks. It's just way too busy. The headlights are godawful. There are only a 2 angles that I think this car looks OK from. I also think the 458 looks even worse in person than in photos. And it already looks awful in photos.
100% subjective. I hated the looks of the 360 and 430.

Last edited by BNR34; 08-23-11 at 12:08 PM.
Old 08-23-11, 12:30 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pure sexy, just perfect!
Old 08-23-11, 02:50 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Mainly wind noise, I own a SC430 and I love it being quiet like a normal coupe when the top is up.
It's one thing when talking about luxury-first GT cars and another thing entirely for supercars. Of course in a luxury-oriented vehicle with tons of sound dampening all around, soft top vs hard top makes a very noticeable difference. Having driven both 360 coupe and convertible, it makes very little difference in terms of wind noise. (In the convertible, even with the top up, I definitely thought the engine noise was significantly louder - but I don't think that's something to complain about.)

Honestly I would love to see Ferrari go back to making real roadsters, even going back to barchetta tops. That's a way to give up very little for those who insist on not having a roof. They showed with the 550 that they can do it with no weight gain and minimal structural deficit. But the absurd fascination with hard top is just going too far away from the enthusiast, although I guess it just shows the direction Ferrari continues to move in.

In my opinion every car costing more then $100k is a poser car. Performance wise, you can always find an under $100k car that can match or smoke any exotic cars in all performance categories. The sole purpose of any exotic car is for looking and sounding cool = total posing.
You seem to define performance categories in terms of numbers on a piece of paper. If that's so, I feel quite badly for you.

Quick Reply: Ferrari 458