Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Redesigned 2012 Subaru Impreza retains $17,495* starting price

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-11, 06:16 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Redesigned 2012 Subaru Impreza retains $17,495* starting price

Redesigned 2012 Subaru Impreza retains $17,495* starting price

Subaru has announced that it is holding the line on the Impreza, with the 2012 starting at $17,495 (*plus $750 for destination). That's the same price as the older 2011 model. Those wishing for a five-door hatch bodystyle in place of the standard four-door sedan will need to spend an extra $500.

Those base prices include a five-speed manual transmission, which can be replaced with a completely new CVT automatic for an additional thousand dollars. Buyers can opt to upgrade their rides with the 2.0i Premium package ($18,795), Sport Premium ($20,295) or Limited ($21,595), each with additional content over the package it replaces.

Naturally, all Impreza models feature the company's excellent all-wheel-drive technology, and they'll be in dealerships in November of 2011

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2012-...mpreza-5-door/

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/08/19/r...tarting-price/
Old 08-20-11, 08:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Definitely on my review list....in fact, I may (?) be personally interested in one myself....in addition to CL-member requests for an MM-review. It won't be released in the U.S. for a couple of months yet......the Japanese earthquake is holding up the schedule.

But, just off the bat, from what l ready know about it (and what I've read), there seem to be some good and bad things. The interior (supposedly) has nicely-padded surfaces now, instead of the absolute sea of hard-plastic (though durable and attractive plastic) on the outgoing model. The wheelbase is increased one inch for a better ride (the overall length remains the same). It gets a new, smaller, lighter, redesigned 2.0L H4 and CVT for great MPG by AWD standards......up to 36 MPG, yet the 0-60 times actually decrease. And rumor is that the two-tone paint option (which I like) may (?) be available even on regular Imprezas now, not just the Outback Sport.

But Subaru, IMO, also made some mistakes with this model. They still have not put back the engine-temperature-gauge on the non-turbo models that was dumped in 2008, relying instead (foolishly, IMO) on red/blue idiot-lights. The nice Outback-Sport model seems to be discontinued for now (but a XV replacement version might be coming....minus the two-tone paint). I don't trust CVTs for long-term durability....IMO, while (correctly) dumping the old inefficient 4-speed automatic, they should have used a 5 or 6-speed conventional automatic instead. And why go backwards by dumping the nice hood-struts (which were added in 2008) for the same ol El-Cheapo prop-rod from years ago?....doesn't make sense.
Old 08-20-11, 08:41 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 126 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Definitely on my review list....in fact, I may (?) be personally interested in one myself....in addition to CL-member requests for an MM-review. It won't be released in the U.S. for a couple of months yet......the Japanese earthquake is holding up the schedule.

But, just off the bat, from what l ready know about it (and what I've read), there seem to be some good and bad things. The interior (supposedly) has nicely-padded surfaces now, instead of the absolute sea of hard-plastic (though durable and attractive plastic) on the outgoing model. The wheelbase is increased one inch for a better ride (the overall length remains the same). It gets a new, smaller, lighter, redesigned 2.0L H4 and CVT for great MPG by AWD standards......up to 36 MPG, yet the 0-60 times actually decrease. And rumor is that the two-tone paint option (which I like) may (?) be available even on regular Imprezas now, not just the Outback Sport.

But Subaru, IMO, also made some mistakes with this model. They still have not put back the engine-temperature-gauge on the non-turbo models that was dumped in 2008, relying instead (foolishly, IMO) on red/blue idiot-lights. The nice Outback-Sport model seems to be discontinued for now (but a XV replacement version might be coming....minus the two-tone paint). I don't trust CVTs for long-term durability....IMO, while (correctly) dumping the old inefficient 4-speed automatic, they should have used a 5 or 6-speed conventional automatic instead. And why go backwards by dumping the nice hood-struts (which were added in 2008) for the same ol El-Cheapo prop-rod from years ago?....doesn't make sense.
it makes sense - they cant keep adding new stuff without cutting costs somewhere, otherwise price would sky rocket...

Toyota CVT's are very durable and now have metal belts, I am assuming that Subaru uses new AISIN CVT's.
Old 08-20-11, 08:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
it makes sense - they cant keep adding new stuff without cutting costs somewhere, otherwise price would sky rocket...
Not necesarily. In the American market, much, of course, depends on the Yen-Dollar exchange-rate. You would be surprised how much that can affect a car's price rom a Japanese-brand manufacturer, even for vehicles (like the Outback) built in American plants (and most or all Imprezas come from Japan).

Toyota CVT's are very durable and now have metal belts, I am assuming that Subaru uses new AISIN CVT's.
As I understand it, Subie SVTs (at least the ones they put in the 2010-2011 four-cylinder Legacy/Outback) are essentialy the same units, have metal-chain belts, and come from the same supplier/contractor as the ones Nissan has used for several years. But that doesn't necessarily make them bulletproof.....Nissan, after some trouble, has extended-warranties on some of theirs, and Subaru has already had at least one or two recalls.
Old 08-20-11, 09:05 AM
sc-driver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
As I understand it, Subie SVTs (at least the ones they put in the 2010-2011 four-cylinder Legacy/Outback) are essentialy the same units, have metal-chain belts, and come from the same supplier/contractor as the ones Nissan has used for several years. But that doesn't necessarily make them bulletproof.....Nissan, after some trouble, has extended-warranties on some of theirs, and Subaru has already had at least one or two recalls.
I wouldn't worry too much about the CVT transmissions, especially if they're from the same supplier/contractor as Nissan. As I recall, Nissan extended their power train warranties on the CVT's to combat any fear of folks buying them.

I have a lot of personal experience with the Sentra's CVT transmission and I must say that after almost 5 years and 60,000 miles of Los Angeles stop and go traffic, scenic canyon cruises, and long vacation trips, this transmission still runs like new.

Last edited by sc-driver; 08-20-11 at 08:31 PM.
Old 08-22-11, 06:14 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Still running a 5MT. Oy.
Old 08-22-11, 07:23 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I'm still stunned by the fuel economy of the new boxer engine. 27/36 EPA mpg for an AWD non-hybrid vehicle is amazing! Wouldn't be surprised if Toyota helped Subaru a bit in engineering the new boxer engine.