Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus it is time! Can we please get a car that man, woman and child all lust after?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-11, 01:16 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus it is time! Can we please get a car that man, woman and child all lust after?

We all know Lexus is a Tier 1 Luxury brand that has become a monster here in North America in a relatively short time, all while slowly building their brand in Europe and other parts of the globe. They are indeed a major player in the automotive market who built there brand on quality, intelligent design and competitive pricing (certainly early on). I just question why they haven't captured sex appeal in their designs. I don't know that many women who lust after any Lexus car. You don't hear young men screaming WANT when they see a Lexus roll by. Great cars by all accounts but there is a glaring hole in the ever growing lineup.

I was looking at a poll from nearly a year ago where 1SICKLEX asked "Should Lexus jump into the cliche 4 door coupe not really a coupe segment?" My answer is absolutely yes and I'm sure many of you here share the same sentiment. While I could care less about them marketing as a "4-door coupe", however I would welcome the styling. Frameless windows, panoramic sunroof, discreet door handles and yes a sloping roof. A 5 seater would be great but much like the Jaguar XF but I wouldn't cry if 4 seats were only offered.

I for one thought that Lexus would begin to take the sexy approach with their L-Finesse executions. It kinda of looked like we were headed there but it never really happened. Instead every other Tier 1 brand has done it. Hell even Hyundai has copied the Blueprint of the 1st gen MB CLS. I'm not here asking for another coupe or convertible, though that is much needed. I would just like to see a real attempt by Lexus to create a car that people lust after. I thoroughly get that Lexus and the Japanese as a whole, value function over form as opposed to the Italians with their edgy blood pumping designs. I'm also clear that vanilla is the number 1 selling flavor of ice cream. But does that mean that Lexus can't offer Red Velvet to it's customers as a volume car. The LF-A for all it's greatness is purely a Halo car and somewhat experimental in design.

I see no reason why Lexus can't package their excellence of execution, yes I was a Bret Hart fan, with testosterone inducing design. MB, Audi, Porsche and even old man Jaguar is doing it. Let's not even discuss BMW with their up coming 6 series and 3 series Gran Sport cars. It's long overdue that Lexus stops going the safe route with their conservative designs. I'm not saying do away with the LS or ES but can we tweak them a little or give the GS some real sex appeal or a blood pumping cousin in the way of MB with it's "boring yet refined" E and sexy and impractical CLS? It doesn't have to handle like a BMW or drive fast like a Porsche but can it at least look fast while parked?
Attached Thumbnails Lexus it is time! Can we please get a car that man, woman and child all lust after?-2012_mercedes_benz_cls_class_11_cd_gallery.jpg   Lexus it is time! Can we please get a car that man, woman and child all lust after?-di-2011-jaguar-xj-012_gallery_image_large.jpg   Lexus it is time! Can we please get a car that man, woman and child all lust after?-2012-audi-a7-review-100k.jpg   Lexus it is time! Can we please get a car that man, woman and child all lust after?-2011-porsche-panamera-004.jpg  
Old 08-13-11, 02:29 PM
pavelekPL
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

That's never gonna happen, Toyota is only good at making people disappointed.
Old 08-13-11, 03:42 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by pavelekPL
toyota cant win on the internet for sure... lexus would have to cost 20k, have 500hp, get 80 MPG and look beautiful inside/out... and then you would get comments like: "it is camry"!
Old 08-13-11, 03:47 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A 4 door coupe based on the GS should be a no brainer really, even if it doesn't sell in high volume it will do a lot to bring people into showrooms. It shouldn't be that expensive to do either since it will really only be a less practical more sexy re-body of the GS.

Mercedes is milking this 4 door coupe thing for all its worth, even a B-class version is on the way.

But I don't really find any of the cars you listed very attractive or lust worthy. The CLS has lost the panache and grace of the original, the Jag is too large and ungainly at the back, the A7 is probably the nicest but because past the front end it's quite bland and the Panamera needs no explanation. I much prefer regular coupes to these cars.
Old 08-13-11, 04:20 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
But I don't really find any of the cars you listed very attractive or lust worthy. The CLS has lost the panache and grace of the original, the Jag is too large and ungainly at the back, the A7 is probably the nicest but because past the front end it's quite bland and the Panamera needs no explanation. I much prefer regular coupes to these cars.
The CLS is the best looking sedan on the road IMO. Especially the AMG model.

I thought the original CLS was ugly - it looked droopy.
Old 08-13-11, 04:40 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

LMAO...I do understand your argument to a degree.

Originally Posted by spwolf
toyota cant win on the internet for sure... lexus would have to cost 20k, have 500hp, get 80 MPG and look beautiful inside/out... and then you would get comments like: "it is camry"!
This is so true, particularly the played out "It's a Camry" remarks. What's funny is these jabs often come from people who know very little about cars other than Lexus is a division of Toyota. They make incorrect statements about the GS or LS being based off of a FWD Camry. That said I do think Lexus has long left the Japanese MB label that they rightfully deserved over a decade ago. They can truly make a segment breaking car that people lust after and BMW loving publications can salivate over. And it doesn't have to be named LF-A either.

A 4 door coupe based on the GS should be a no brainer really, even if it doesn't sell in high volume it will do a lot to bring people into showrooms. It shouldn't be that expensive to do either since it will really only be a less practical more sexy re-body of the GS.

Mercedes is milking this 4 door coupe thing for all its worth, even a B-class version is on the way.

Exactly!! However I think you're an absolute fool not to love any of those above listed cars. Seriously though most if not all of those cars are polarizing or have polarizing features. But to me that's a good thing. That's what gets people talking and stimulates emotion. I think that's the very idea of a car outside of transporting you from point A to point B. I'll be the first to say that the Panamera is an ugly a$$ car, in fact I say it all of the time in Car Chat. Yet it's so ugly it's sexy. On paper it's hideous and most pics don't do it justice. In person however it commands attention whether you hate it or love it. It inspires discussion and breaks away from the typical bland design of sedans.

MB's 2nd gen CLS is certainly more aggressive if not less pretty than the 1st CLS design but again its evokes passion and to me is quite a good looking car from almost every angle. Not too often can we say that about any car. Jaguar who is slowly becoming my favorite automaker, has done a great job invigorating it's lineup with fresh and bold designs. Are they perfect? NO. But they look damn good. The refreshed '12 XF fixes its lone flaw the bubbly headlights by giving it the C-XF and XJ headlamp treatment. Bottom line is Lexus has nothing in it's showroom that stirs discussion they way all of its European competitors currently do. I patiently await.
Old 08-13-11, 06:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i think lexus should do it, but it's not until they have fully secured their current market and lineup. they need to build up a better loyalty base before moving on to "cool" factor cars like the cls or the panamera, etc... those cars are nice, but sales numbers aren't astonishing.
Old 08-13-11, 06:54 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

ok, well that statement is not anchored to reality, only to haters. toyota makes millions of people very happy and not disappointed at all.

Originally Posted by AutoUnion
lol this is true
it is not true, but your post is enlightening as you've claimed you don't post only anti-toyota/lexus posts. please be advised we (moderators) do notice things like this.
Old 08-13-11, 06:58 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

How come they sell so many cars if everyone is disappointed?
Old 08-13-11, 07:01 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The original CLS was a lot more clean and purposeful in its design. The focus was on the shape, unlike the current one with its oddly shaped head and tail lights and creases running down the side. The current one is definitely flashier and more attention grabbing but less pure.

Out of all the "4 door coupe" models I think the A7 comes closest in that respect, but like most Audis the design details are a bit bland.

The LS still remains as one of my favorite large sedans in terms of design. Yes it is a bit bland and old by now but there isn't anything about the design that I dislike.

I must say though I have been appreciating Audis more recently, design wise they seem to be done very well despite being FWD. I've still not warmed up to the interiors, but as Jaguar design has become more mainstream, BMW design stagnant and Mercedes almost aimless, Audi is beginning to stand out. They just might be becoming my favorite German luxury brand ahead of BMW.

Maybe one day I will join AutoUnion and become an Audi fanboy
Old 08-13-11, 07:04 PM
pavelekPL
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
How come they sell so many cars if everyone is disappointed?
I meant enthusiasts.
Old 08-13-11, 07:06 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Toyota started making car enthusiast's disappointed after 1998. People buy Toyota's for their reliability IMO. I'm gonna wait til the 4GS line up surfaces, If it doesn't meet my expectations performance wise I'm heading to a Benz dealer and I'm getting a CLS.
Old 08-13-11, 07:34 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
i think lexus should do it, but it's not until they have fully secured their current market and lineup. they need to build up a better loyalty base before moving on to "cool" factor cars like the cls or the panamera, etc... those cars are nice, but sales numbers aren't astonishing.
I understand that they aren't high volume sellers but do they have to be? I think Toyota/Lexus has the capital and resources to develop and successfully market a car of this caliber. In all likelihood, I think it would actually outsell these other "niche" cars. I totally agree that Lexus has other issues it needs to address. But in many ways, sexy aggressively desiged sedan may address some of their issues especially if it drives sporty and has F-Sport styling. As for a loyalty base, I think they have a core audience of repeat buyers and would actually only increase sales by breaking from their mold with a non conventional model.

The original CLS was a lot more clean and purposeful in its design. The focus was on the shape, unlike the current one with its oddly shaped head and tail lights and creases running down the side. The current one is definitely flashier and more attention grabbing but less pure.

Out of all the "4 door coupe" models I think the A7 comes closest in that respect, but like most Audis the design details are a bit bland.

The LS still remains as one of my favorite large sedans in terms of design. Yes it is a bit bland and old by now but there isn't anything about the design that I dislike.

I must say though I have been appreciating Audis more recently, design wise they seem to be done very well despite being FWD. I've still not warmed up to the interiors, but as Jaguar design has become more mainstream, BMW design stagnant and Mercedes almost aimless, Audi is beginning to stand out. They just might be becoming my favorite German luxury brand ahead of BMW.

Maybe one day I will join AutoUnion and become an Audi fanboy
I totally agreee in regards to the evolution of MB's CLS. Both are extremely attractive vehicles which turn heads. The 1st being more sedate and conservative, if you will while the current one is far more aggressive and chiseled in design. For me the LS460 has always been an attractive car from all angles, with the rear being my favorite. BMW apparently liked the rear also as evidenced by the new 7. The LS has aged well, as I've always kept my eye on them in the used market.
Old 08-13-11, 09:05 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Even if Lexus makes one like that, people are still going to complain and b**ch about how the car is completely pointless, etc.
Old 08-13-11, 09:43 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not us car enthusiasts.

Quick Reply: Lexus it is time! Can we please get a car that man, woman and child all lust after?