Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus it is time! Can we please get a car that man, woman and child all lust after?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-11, 02:12 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
at least lexus has v8 j/k
And also a V10 j/k as well.

Lexus does need to step it up a bit. With the LFA and IS F Lexus needs to bring in a GS F. But not so sure if Lexus will bring in the GS F when the current 4GS almost didn't make it and almost got cancelled...
Old 08-31-11, 05:57 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Trexus
And also a V10 j/k as well.

Lexus does need to step it up a bit. With the LFA and IS F Lexus needs to bring in a GS F. But not so sure if Lexus will bring in the GS F when the current 4GS almost didn't make it and almost got cancelled...
I totally agree...Except I have a hard time believing that line from Lexus corporate stating that the GS was on the verge of being canned. Sounds like a way to create buzz or just make a statement just for the sake of making a statement. Maybe it's all smoke and mirrors. But I find it strange that Lexus would even consider scrapping the GS which though may not sell in huge numbers every year, it is still a necessary car for them. They MUST have an executive class/sports sedan in order to compete with the Germans and their offerings.

While I'm fully aware that the ES is their bread and butter midsize car, it does not compete with the A6/5er/E or XF. Different types of cars for different buyers. That is why there will always be a lane for the GS and why it's so critical for it to succeed for Lexus to re-establish itself in the premium luxury segment. Lexus created this "problem" for itself when it developed the highly successful ES. The GS somewhat lurks in its shadow while searching for an identity. Perhaps Lexus could use this conundrum to stylize the GS as it's CLS. They've created a very unique scenario with their 2 midsize cars. The GS traditionally has had smaller dimensions to compliment its sportier design....Why not just go all out and make that their CLS fighter? Let's be honest what do they have to lose? They wouldn't really be alienating current GS owners, if anything, I think most owners would welcome it. Never mind all of the Euro and converts they would get. Just sayin' I am curious as to what GS owners would say.
Old 08-31-11, 07:42 PM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by LexLaw
I totally agree...Except I have a hard time believing that line from Lexus corporate stating that the GS was on the verge of being canned. Sounds like a way to create buzz or just make a statement just for the sake of making a statement. Maybe it's all smoke and mirrors. But I find it strange that Lexus would even consider scrapping the GS which though may not sell in huge numbers every year, it is still a necessary car for them. They MUST have an executive class/sports sedan in order to compete with the Germans and their offerings.
Then again, you're talking about a company that killed the SC with no replacement on the horizon - and left the IS C in its place.
Old 08-31-11, 07:58 PM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LFA supposedly did a 7:14 on the Ring.....

If that doesn't get you all hot and bothered....
Old 08-31-11, 09:00 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gengar
Then again, you're talking about a company that killed the SC with no replacement on the horizon - and left the IS C in its place.
Yeah...Didn't quite understand that either. They had more than enough time to either redesign the SC or refresh it with significant updates to extend the life cycle of the car until they had a legitimate replacement. The IS-C whether it sold well or not would never replace the SC, so I hope they weren't thinking that would be a bridge until the 3rd gen SC resurfaces. I totally understand and appreciate them not putting a V6 in the car out the gate to keep its exclusivity but they certainly could have rolled out an SC350 midway through to boost sales by opening it up to a wider audience. In fact an SC350 would have been perfect to coincide with the 2007 GS350 release. But whatever.

Originally Posted by Mike@Vossen
LFA supposedly did a 7:14 on the Ring.....

If that doesn't get you all hot and bothered....

LOL LFA does get me HOT and I'm BOTHERED by the fact that I can't afford it yet.