Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Daily Driver? or "I paid for the car might as well drive it!"

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-11, 01:58 PM
Beeelbee
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daily Driver? or "I paid for the car might as well drive it!"

I've put over 6k miles on my IS-F in the past 2 months. I've been debating on a daily driver... cheap... Honda Accord/Civic type. It would help me out on gas, I've got a 40mi commute everyday. I take my dog to work everyday so my back seat is always dirty. Also not to mention maintenance wise I could go longer in between services if the F sits at home.

So question is... do I buy a Daily Driver or do I go ahead and drive the car I'm paying for anyways?
Old 12-08-11, 02:02 PM
doublehh03
Pole Position

Definitely buy a daily driver. I commute 90+ miles (both ways) 5 days a week to work and bought the Accord. Saves on gas, reliable, and the coupe looks really nice.

You should use the ISF for weekend driving.
Old 12-08-11, 02:04 PM
Beeelbee
Rookie

I wish I could buy back my Accord I sold to my sister 6 years ago, but she's a broke college student and needs it more than I do I guess...
Old 12-08-11, 02:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

honestly i never understand the concept of having these weekend cars (cars like isf) and then another daily driver. paid for the car already, drive it the way it's supposed to be. all my cars are modded, some quite heavily, and they have always been my daily driver, no exception. if things happen, they happen. i don't let my money just sit there. my m3 was lowered and what not and i just drive it like that
Old 12-08-11, 02:45 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
honestly i never understand the concept of having these weekend cars (cars like isf) and then another daily driver. paid for the car already, drive it the way it's supposed to be. all my cars are modded, some quite heavily, and they have always been my daily driver, no exception. if things happen, they happen. i don't let my money just sit there. my m3 was lowered and what not and i just drive it like that

My IS 350 is no IS-F but is strickly for pleasure driving and it's great.
By not driving it as much I really appreciate it more.Feels fresh and new when driving it.
Plus it's always spotlessly clean as it never sees bad weather.
After a drive,it's back in the garage.After a cool down a detailer and microfiber is used.Battery tender installed,make shift 2 king 100% cotton flannel sheets sewn cover apllied till the next drive.
Maybe a waste to some but very enjoyable to me.
The wife breaks my ***** on occasion but she knows how I am and does accept it.
Old 12-08-11, 02:59 PM
Beeelbee
Rookie

If it weren't for my dog going with me EVERYWHERE... and that is not debatable, I wouldn't mind driving my F everywhere. Living in the South we don't see snow a whole lot but with the slightest bit they throw gravel/salt down everywhere. So it's just those few times where the weather is terrible or when friends want to take my car somewhere (and there's dog hair in the back seat) that I really wish I had a Daily to do all the "dirty work". The Boyfriend has a H2 that the dog can't get in and a GTR that NOTHING is allowed in. LOL... so we are looking really for a Daily for all purposes.
Old 12-08-11, 03:15 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

I drive my nicer car (2007 GS350 AWD lowered/rims) daily. I have 1997 Integra GS-r Turbo that should be my commuter since I drive about 50 miles daily but it's just not comfortable and enjoyable.

I believe in "I paid for the car might as well drive it!"
Old 12-08-11, 03:32 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

I bought a Honda CRV 4 x 4 this winter to use as my daily driver. The reason I bought it is because I felt the F even with snow tires is not safest in the worst of conditions. I have been driving the CRV for 5 weeks now and I have stored my " Beluga " in the third spot of my garage. I actually have driven her only twice in 5 weeks which made me appreciate her a LOT LOT more! I now can say that driving the F is special again..:-)
Old 12-08-11, 03:39 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Beeelbee
If it weren't for my dog going with me EVERYWHERE... and that is not debatable, I wouldn't mind driving my F everywhere. Living in the South we don't see snow a whole lot but with the slightest bit they throw gravel/salt down everywhere. So it's just those few times where the weather is terrible or when friends want to take my car somewhere (and there's dog hair in the back seat) that I really wish I had a Daily to do all the "dirty work". The Boyfriend has a H2 that the dog can't get in and a GTR that NOTHING is allowed in. LOL... so we are looking really for a Daily for all purposes.
You guys sounds like ballers if you can afford H2, GTR, ISF.. Maybe you should consider having two of them.. Pick up a used ISF as your beater and save the pristine one for weekends, etc..

These days, its not uncommon for people to have 2 of the same car. I use to think its weird until i picked up my 2nd GS for my daily.. One Stock & One Modded.. I drive the stock one daily and whenever i have the urge to blast off, i take out the modded GS.. Works for me..
Old 12-08-11, 03:48 PM
Beeelbee
Rookie

^^ What can we say... we like toys I bought my F used anyways but it only had 16k mi on it

We have a 94 Blazer that I'd love to trade for a Accord, just gotta find the right buyer. The dog can't jump into the Blazer and it really defeats the purpose of saving gas.
Old 12-08-11, 04:53 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

agreed... i think only ferrari and some exotics require dd because you simply cant put that much miles on them.
Old 12-08-11, 05:16 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Because you sir are a ballar. Some of us lives in a crappy city with no parking ( where people bump your car for fun ) are better suited with having a daily beater that you don't mind throwing away.
Old 12-08-11, 05:34 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

This is terrible advice. I would prefer that everyone baby their cars for a few years and then sell it to me at 1/2 the original purchase price but looking practically new. Then I'll beat on them.
Old 12-08-11, 05:44 PM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

If you plan on keeping your IS-F longterm and want to preserve it, then buy a DD. But if you plan on trading it in for something else in 3-4 years, then drive it and enjoy the time you have with it as much as possible.
Old 12-08-11, 06:10 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by STIG
Because you sir are a ballar. Some of us lives in a crappy city with no parking ( where people bump your car for fun ) are better suited with having a daily beater that you don't mind throwing away.
Originally Posted by pvmike1
This is terrible advice. I would prefer that everyone baby their cars for a few years and then sell it to me at 1/2 the original purchase price but looking practically new. Then I'll beat on them.
damn i knew i should have kept my mouth shut

Quick Reply: Daily Driver? or "I paid for the car might as well drive it!"