Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Suggestions to Replace my 07 Subaru Outback?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-11, 10:07 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

mazda cx7? saab 93 wagon?
Old 08-05-11, 05:09 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
What about a Ford Flex or Audi Allroad Quattro
I haven't looked into Audis yet. The Flex is longer than I want with fairly low MPG. Also, I looked at it when I bought the Subaru and ruled it out because the unique design of the door. The door skin wraps around the lower edge of the door and fits into a channel under the car. Her foot can get hung up on this horizontal metal edge sticking out along the bottom of the door. I could also imagine her trying to push against that edge with her foot and then it wouldn't fit into the channel under the car... during the winter... in some parking lot...

Another thing I have come to hate with some cars out there are the door pockets with the big cup buldge. Anything that gets in the way of smoothly swinging her feet in or out of the car can upset the transfer apple cart.

BTW, the smaller of our caregivers now says she really doesn't mind the Subaru - assuming she can get my wife to sit all the way into the car. She also has never driven a car with a manual transmission. The other caregiver has driven manuals since her teens and her ears perked up when I mentioned the Subaru WRX. I'm going to check out a Prius next.
Old 08-05-11, 05:15 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Originally Posted by gray_es300
mazda cx7? saab 93 wagon?
I believe I looked at both the CX5 and CX7 last year and measured them to be too tall. As for Saab, no orphan cars. One of my friends had one, bought with her dad's GM discount. She said her husband enjoyed the car, but not the frequent dealer visits.
Old 08-05-11, 04:56 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how about the jetta wagon? might fit your needs, low to the ground, some decent cargo room too.
Old 08-05-11, 05:36 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Originally Posted by lamar411
how about the jetta wagon? might fit your needs, low to the ground, some decent cargo room too.
The Jetta TDI wagon is on my list, but I'm leery of VWs after owning 3 of them in the past and having one as a company car. They drove great (well, except for the van) but had frequent mechanical problems. From what I've read, this trend still holds true. My theory is that German engineered cars are designed to be regularly repaired by German engineers.

I drove a 2011 Prius 2 this afternoon. The car drove fine (for the purposes I intend), was comfortable around town and on the freeway, and had good front and rear passenger room. I detected less rubber-banding than the HS250h loaners I've driven. The only negative was the short cargo area (floor to ceiling) when the seats were folded. I don't think my dog could stand up there and would have to ride on the rear seat. (At least that would keep the rear window clean when she's riding.) Overall, I think the cargo space will work.

I took a number of measurements and believe it would be fine to transfer my wife into and there is enough room in the trunk area to store her travel wheelchair with the rear seat upright. Unlike the Subaru, there are good window frames for her to grab onto. I'll have to take her for a test-sit.

I have some concern about winter driving, having read mixed reviews of the Prius and it's always-on traction control. I would certainly put winter tires on the stock 15" wheels and get some nice 17" wheels with summer tires.

I will continue looking at other cars (and accepting suggestions). In the meantime, I've listed the Subie on CL to see if I get any nibbles. Right now, a new Prius is the leader.
Old 08-05-11, 07:05 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Could you clarify what you mean by height?

1. Are you referring to the total height of the vehicle, from the ground to the roof (and roof rails)? Do you have a height-limited parking garage to worry about?

2. Are you referring to the interior height (from floor to ceiling) or height of the door opening? Low interior height or low door opening height will, of course, make it more difficult for mobility-impaired people to enter.

3. Are you referring to the hip-point, the height of the seat off the ground? A hip-point that is too low (sporty vehicles) or too high (SUVs and many crossover SUVs) makes it difficult for mobility-impaired people to enter and exit. In conjunction with the hip-point is the width of the side sills; SUVs and many crossover SUVs have particularly wide side sills that are difficult to step over.

I have found that the Venza is particularly easy to get in and out of. It has a good hip-point (as do a number of late-model Toyota sedans, including the Camry and Matrix). The Venza also has a narrow side sill. If the size and replacement cost of those 19" or 20" tires is worrying, you could ask if the smaller-diameter, higher-profile tires and wheels from the Highlander will fit; I believe that they are the same circumference so should pose no speedometer problems.

The easiest vehicles to get in and out of are minivans, in my opinion: they have a high door opening, a good hip-point and a flat floor without a sill to step over. They may be too high for height-limited parking garages, however; and, of course, have sliding doors which you do not like.

The most difficult vehicles to get in and out of, especially for the mobility-impaired, are SUVs and crossover SUVs, due to high hip-point and great sill width. That would include the Toyota Highlander, the Ford Edge, Flex and Explorer, the Chevrolet Traverse, the Dodge Journey and other similar vehicles.
Old 08-05-11, 07:41 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

The key height measurement for my wife:

- Place passenger seat in most rearward, lowest position.

- Place extended tape measure against door sill, even to where you would sit backwards onto the seat.

- Measure straight up 18" from the ground and bend the tape measure at that point and extend the rest of the tape to the top edge of the seat bottom. Read that value.

- Optimum reading for my wife is 27"-28". LS430 is 27". Outback and Prius are 28". I can get her into vehicles with a 30" reading (like my old SRX), but the caregivers can't. My wife used to be able to use a step, but no longer. All SUVs and most all crossovers are too high, and given her current limitations, I'll avoid anything over 28".

Other items to consider are the distance from the seat to top of the door opening (avoid head bonks), the distance from the front edge of the seat to the front opening of the door opening (feet swing), and the distance from the seat front to the dashboard (knee swing). I've done this for so many years, I can gauge it pretty well. But, I always have her test sit all possible cars.
Old 08-05-11, 08:32 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

How about a scion xB?
Old 08-05-11, 09:02 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Originally Posted by lamar411
How about a scion xB?
The Scion dealer didn't have any in stock.
Old 08-05-11, 09:20 PM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nissan Cube over Scion xB any given day: brighter and more plush interior (good for the wife), practicality for the care givers including: backup cam, smart entry, blue tooth, and side-open trunk. Check out the height, hopefully it's at 27'' to your specificity.
Old 08-06-11, 08:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by caddyowner
The Scion dealer didn't have any in stock.
That shouldn't hold things up too much, if you are serious about an xB. They can do a vehicle-search of all the local Toyota/Scion dealers in the area and see if there are any in stock that are acceptable you (color, options, etc....). If so, dealerships trade new cars back and forth all the time, per customer request...that's part of the buisness. Sometimes this affects the selling-price a little, but, with Scion, it shouldn't, because company-policy is that all Scions (like Saturns used to) sell for list price....no mark-ups, no discounts. Just watch and make sure, though, if you don't want them, that they don't charge you for extra-cost "dealer-accessories", which are permitted.

In fact, here's a web-site that can help you seach a little yourself: EveryCarListed

http://www.everycarlisted.com/

You can also, of course, usually search on specific dealer-websites for their new-car-inventory, though the new-car-inventory function (even with the EveryCarListed site) is often blocked at Lexus dealerships....for some reason, Lexus shops don't want you snooping for new-cars on-line: their philosophy is that they do it for you.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-06-11 at 08:42 AM.
Old 08-06-11, 10:02 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Thanks for all the suggestions. We've decided to go with a Prius. Transfers were fine, rear storage was fine for my wife's chair and her other stuff, and the car feels solid on the road. That's important since it will often be driven by my wife's caregivers. If we split our annual total mileage between the LS and Prius, I should lower my gas costs a bit over $1,000 a year. I do lose some cargo hauling capability so the dog will have to ride on a cover on the back seat and I'll use the new yard waste pickup service we have. I'll have to get some winter tires for the stock 15" wheels and some 17" summer tires and wheels next spring.

I plan on putting a deposit on an incoming base level Prius 2 and using the time to sell the Outback. We can live without a second car for a month or two.
Old 08-06-11, 10:15 AM
lamar411
Pole Position

Congrats man, i also was looking at a Prius when i was buying my CR-V, should of looked into it a bit more. oh well, enjoy it
Old 08-06-11, 10:21 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by caddyowner
Thanks for all the suggestions. We've decided to go with a Prius. Transfers were fine, rear storage was fine for my wife's chair and her other stuff, and the car feels solid on the road. That's important since it will often be driven by my wife's caregivers. If we split our annual total mileage between the LS and Prius, I should lower my gas costs a bit over $1,000 a year. I do lose some cargo hauling capability so the dog will have to ride on a cover on the back seat and I'll use the new yard waste pickup service we have. I'll have to get some winter tires for the stock 15" wheels and some 17" summer tires and wheels next spring.

I plan on putting a deposit on an incoming base level Prius 2 and using the time to sell the Outback. We can live without a second car for a month or two.
Good choice.

Has the dealer given you a number on the trade-in (just to see)?
Old 08-06-11, 10:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Congragulations. In several ways, a wise choice.

I personally am not as impressed with the thinner, lighter-weight sheet-metal and interior-materials on the 3Gen Prius as on the 2Gen model, but the 3Gen handles better (with a firmer ride), and there is no question that the Prius hybrid-powertrain is one of the most refined and efficient on the market (just don't try to drag-race any Mustangs or Camaros ). And, of course, you'll get the tax and HOV benefits (if applicable) on a hybrid.

I take it you went with a Prius II instead of the Lexus CT (which has the same drivetrain) or upcoming Prius v wagon because of price?

And, hey.....I'm glad to see you spend your money more wisely than on a Chevy Volt. I consider the Volt to be a rip-off....I explained why in my recent review.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-06-11 at 10:38 AM.

Quick Reply: Suggestions to Replace my 07 Subaru Outback?