Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Carroll Shelby accused of sexual assault by former receptionist

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-11, 11:57 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Carroll Shelby accused of sexual assault by former receptionist

Carroll Shelby accused of sexual assault by former receptionist

TMZ is reporting tonight that automotive legend Carroll Shelby has been accused of sexual assault by a former receptionist. Angelica Smith, who reportedly began working for Shelby back in 2005, filed her lawsuit in L.A. County Superior Court earlier today. In it she claims that Shelby ran a "pervasively hostile work environment" and that "Shelby himself sexually battered [Smith] by groping her." Smith also claims that another employee of Shelby's had drugged and raped her at his house in December 2010, and that he did not take any action when she reported the incident to him. The lawsuit names Shelby himself, his companies and the accused rapist, with damages in excess of $5 million.

None of us here at Autoblog know Shelby on a personal level, but we've met the man on more than a few occasions and have always been charmed by his natural charisma, genuine love of cars and friendly nature. Hopefully the truth is reached in this case and it's not as bad a picture as these allegations paint.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/08/01/c...-receptionist/
Old 08-01-11, 11:57 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Sad. Who's next Rick Hendrick?
Old 08-02-11, 03:02 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Obviously assault/rape is a horrific crime and should be punished to the full extent of the law...

but...

I'm calling bull--it... why would you continue to work for a company AFTER getting drugged and raped and your superior doesn't support the allegations? And would you be suing over the rape rather than a "groping"?

And where's the police report from said alledged rape???

Again, on the surface... BS...
Old 08-02-11, 09:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Shelby's an old Texan who certainly knows how to party with the ladies (I've read some accounts of the parties he had with his friends back in the 60's while developing the famous Shelby Mustangs). But I don't think he would try and force himself on a woman against her will, especially in this day and age. It's just too risky now.......not only with sports figures like Kobe Bryant, but we also saw what happened, for example, with the head of the IMF himself. Even Presidents are not exempt, and can get into trouble......as witnessed the Bill Clinton/Paula Jones incident. I'm sure Shelby saw all that happen in the news.......he would probably think twice before attempting a rape or assault.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-02-11 at 09:45 AM.
Old 08-02-11, 09:43 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If my employee rapes you, then you lodge a criminal complaint. I'm supposed to take action because you come tell me you're at his house and he raped you? I'm going to call the cops which is what you should have done and report it. Then make sure you two have no contact with each other at my business until the legal process does what it's supposed to do.

Sucks that you can have your name tarnished with little recourse.
Old 08-02-11, 10:18 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I dont buy this for a second. The guy is on his last leg . He had a heart transplant and is very elderly. I think this chick is trying to make a little extra cash on a he said she said kind of deal. Legally wether it happened or not they will settle to quiet things. Sad.
Old 08-02-11, 10:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I dont buy this for a second. The guy is on his last leg . He had a heart transplant and is very elderly.
Not surprising for someone in his profession, he's had a number of racing and driving accidents over the years. His bones are held together with almost as many pins and clips as Evel Kneivel. I agree with I8ABMR....most females in reasonably good health could probably overpower him with little effort.
Old 08-02-11, 11:44 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not surprising for someone in his profession, he's had a number of racing and driving accidents over the years. His bones are held together with almost as many pins and clips as Evel Kneivel. I agree with I8ABMR....most females in reasonably good health could probably overpower him with little effort.

Well she's not accusing him of the actual rape so there wouldn't be any need for overpowering on her part. She's claiming he groped her and that could mean anything. A hand on the back or arm that lingers a little bit too long, etc... And thus a hostile work environment claim that she will barely have to prove and will walk away with a settlement check.
Old 08-02-11, 01:59 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

yup..my brother is a lawyer and he tells me all of the time that you dont need to do anything. Just make a claim or accusation and they will settle to pay the problem away