Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GS350 Wrecked...

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-11, 02:23 PM
Fiste
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy GS350 Wrecked...

I bought a beautiful CPO silver GS350 in October 2010.

Unfortunately on Tuesday I was in a 4 car pileup on a highway. I was at a full stop in a line of about 50 cars and some guy just plowed into the car behind me. Both back and front of my car was smashed up pretty good.

At this point - the insurance company of the guy that hit us is estimating $12k in damage - and I'm hearing it'll take a month to fix...

As you can imagine - I'm not a happy camper.

There's a part of me that wishes they'd just total it out - but I don't see that happening at this point.

Lexus still has to honor the Certified Pre-Owned to 100k miles even if the whole front end is rebuilt right?

Just sickens me because when it's time to trade it in - they'll knock off several thousand for the wreck.

Anybody been through something like this recently? Any advice? I'm going to press to see if the insurance will cover the reduced market value - but I'm not hopeful...

Old 07-28-11, 02:41 PM
lostnspace
Rookie

First and foremost glad, you're able to walk away. Secondly make sure you see a physician/chiropractor. Lastly, sorry bro, the damage estimate seems to fit into what other threads in Third Generation Forums have stated in the past. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...eneration-153/

Your warranty should be fine, I would take your GS to certified Lexus repair shop.

I was in accident 2 weeks ago and just learned yesterday they are going to total my car out. My preliminary damage was $30K on 11 GS350. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...aftermath.html
Old 07-28-11, 03:09 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

sorry to hear your accident, that sux. you should check with lexus on the cpo warranty. a car with accident, i don't know if that will affect the warranty coverage
Old 07-28-11, 03:16 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Im sorry to see that, glad no one got hurt.

Did any of the airbags deploy? Lately I keep seeing GS models inloved in serious accidents and their airbags dont deploy.
Old 07-28-11, 03:18 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
Im sorry to see that, glad no one got hurt.

Did any of the airbags deploy? Lately I keep seeing GS models inloved in serious accidents and their airbags dont deploy.
Doesn't look like it.
Looks like the frontal impact ws above the sensors with the high pick up truck bumper.
Front of GS probably went down with the jamming of the brakes too.
Old 07-28-11, 03:24 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Doesn't look like it.
Looks like the frontal impact ws above the sensors with the high pick up truck bumper.
Even if it was at sensor height, it doesn't look like it would have been necessary. The hood and upper half of the engine compartment looks like it deformed well enough to absorb a significant amount of the impact energy.
Old 07-28-11, 03:31 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

First, glad to see that you walked away ok!

Secondly, I think the Lexus CPO warranty would still apply...but i believe you have to replace the damaged parts with Lexus OEM parts? I'm 99% sure the CPO warranty wouldn't replace any parts that may fail and aren't OEM. Double check with Lexus corporate if your unsure. See if you can get your car fixed at a Lexus Certified Collision Center too.
Old 07-28-11, 03:33 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

12K only? Ill be interested if that will be the actual amount. If I were you I would go to a high end body shop and have it done properly. I would estimate more than 12K and then I think they might total it.
Old 07-28-11, 05:22 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Ahem...

Originally Posted by Fiste
I was at a full stop in a line of about 50 cars and some guy just plowed into the car behind me.

Originally Posted by RXSF
12K only? Ill be interested if that will be the actual amount. If I were you I would go to a high end body shop and have it done properly. I would estimate more than 12K and then I think they might total it.
Unless it approaches more than 75-80% of the vehicle value, most companies won't total it. Given that it looks relatively new, that would probably mean about double that amount in damage, and I don't see that, but I don't see the rear of the car, either. Keep in mind that sheet metal, while it looks gnarly when mangled, is still not terribly expensive. So long as the front clip was banged up but can be replaced and there isn't monumental frame damage, which it doesn't appear to be, I would say it will end up around $14-16K at the high end. Either way, not nearly enough to total it.

I would definitely agree with contact corporate about the warranty and see what they say, then ensure that the insurance company understands that ramifications of using anything non OEM in the repair. Since it's not your insurance company paying, let the other person's company buy the right stuff and don't take no for an answer.

Big Mack
Old 07-28-11, 06:08 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Sorry about the car man, happy your okay. Cant your insurance get you diminished value?
Old 07-28-11, 07:38 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Fiste
At this point - the insurance company of the guy that hit us is estimating $12k in damage - and I'm hearing it'll take a month to fix...

As you can imagine - I'm not a happy camper.

There's a part of me that wishes they'd just total it out - but I don't see that happening at this point.

Lexus still has to honor the Certified Pre-Owned to 100k miles even if the whole front end is rebuilt right?

Just sickens me because when it's time to trade it in - they'll knock off several thousand for the wreck.
You should also be compensated for the "diminished value" of the vehicle. I know in WA it's required but not necessarily in all states. Look into it and get an appraisal to estimate the new "diminished" value of the car. Make the insurance company pay up.
Old 07-28-11, 07:43 PM
Fiste
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the comments. Luckily everyone walked away ok. The guy behind me took the brunt of it. His car was easily totalled.

No air bags deployed in the GS350.

I made a few calls later today and found out:

- It'll stay CPO'd as long as the repair is all done with Lexus parts. I've called all involved parties at the insurance and the shop to insist on this.
- I hadn't heard of this before - but Lamar411 is right. Once the repairs are complete I can have an estimate done on the trade-in value of the car and then file a 'diminished value' claim with the insurance company.

I'll have to see how the repair goes to decide if I'll keep her or trade it in on a newer one. I can't see how it'll ever be the same after that much damage - but who knows...
Old 07-28-11, 08:25 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

Sorry to hear about what happened Fiste.

I hope things resolve to a point where you are ok with things.

Back to the accident.

Do you know what the story was with the driver who caused it and what they were driving?
Old 07-28-11, 10:09 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Sorry to see this, glad you ok. hope it gets resolved soon
Old 07-29-11, 05:37 AM
Fiste
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
Sorry to hear about what happened Fiste.

I hope things resolve to a point where you are ok with things.

Back to the accident.

Do you know what the story was with the driver who caused it and what they were driving?
There were 4 vehicles involved:

The guy that hit us all was just going too fast and not paying attention. It was a construction zone and traffic was backed up at an exit much more than normal.

He was driving a 2002 Chevy Pickup.
He hit a 1998 Honda Accord and totalled it.
The Accord slammed into me.
I got pushed into a 1988 Chevy Pickup with an 18" trailer hitch... Which really tore up the front-end.

Quick Reply: GS350 Wrecked...