Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Review: 2012 VW Passat

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-11, 10:26 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default MM Review: 2012 VW Passat

By non-CL request, a Review of the 2012 VW Passat.

http://www.vw.com/en/models/passat/gallery.html

IN A NUTSHELL: A pleasant, affordable mid-size sedan, but with some serious marketing shortcomings.

I recently received a request, from a non-CL friend of mine for a review and advice on the new 2012 Volkswagen Passat. As I often do, even with non-CL requests, I’ll write it up and share it with you guys, in case there is any CL interest in the new Passat.

The Passat, of course, has been in the American market for a number of years, as a European-designed alternative to the ubiquitous mid-sized Toyota Camry and Honda Accord sedans/wagons. Originally known as the VW Quantum in the American market, the original name was later changed to Passat. The Passat, like many German sedans, developed a reputation of being somewhat more of a “Drivers Car” than its Japanese-designed rivals, with a better ride/handling/steering balance, though the Japanese Mazda 6 sedan could compete, to some extent, with the Passat’s road manners.

The Passat, for years, included sedan, wagon, and All-Wheel-Drive 4Motion versions. Its reliability, according to Consumer Reports, though, has been spotty, and seems to vary up and down by model-year and trim-level. Volkswagen-designed vehicles, in general, are not known for good reliability here in America, although a few, here and there, have managed to reach the average-reliability level or even slightly-better-than-average. But, in general, when you buy a VW, you usually can’t expect Toyota/Honda/Subaru levels of reliability, especially in the areas of electronics and hardware. I often, for example, see a lot of VWs running around in the D.C. area with headlights/taillights out from bulb/wiring/relay/socket problems. Just simply replacing bulbs doesn’t always do the trick…..sometimes other repairs are needed as well.

But, despite the generally spotty reliability, Consumer Reports has generally liked the car, and continually rates it highly, especially when some model years and trim-levels have been average or better in reliability. At one time, not long ago, it was CR’s highest-rated family sedan…above the Camry and Accord, until the reliability once again dropped.

For 2012, the all-new Passat has been totally resigned, and is now starting to arrive at American dealerships. But, IMO, it now suffers from some serious omissions and marketing goofs. The useful and versatile wagon version, for example, has been dropped from the American market (it is still continued in Europe), and so has the also-versatile All-Wheel-Drive 4-Motion option. Fortunately, the high-mileage TDI direct-injection diesel version is still offered, though it’s hard to tell if the so-called “Tiptronic” automatic listed in the specs is actually the conventional torque-converter automatic or the automatic twin-clutch DSG (Direct-Shift-gearbox)…its actual driving manners suggest the latter (more on that later). Anyhow, for 2012, in the American market, VW offers the Passat in three basic levels…the 2.5, TDI Clean Diesel, and V6, with the SE and SEL trim-levels being option-packages rather than separate trim-lines. The 2.5 models come with an unusual 2.5L in-line 5-cylinder with 170 HP and 177 ft-lbs. of torque, and a choice of a 5-speed manual or 6-speed Tiptronic Sport-shift automatic (a package option). TDI models, as the name suggests, come with the superb 2.0L Turbocharged Direct-Injection in-line diesel four with 140 HP and 236 ft-lbs. of torque….and choice of 6-speed manual or 6-speed DSG (Direct-shift-gearbox) automatic transmissions (the DSG, BTW, is one of my favorite transmissions). The V6 model, also as the name suggests, comes with a DOHC 3.6L V6 with 280 HP and 265 ft-lbs. of torque, with the DSG transmission only. Why the superb DSG transmission is not offered with the base 2.5L 5-cylinder, I don’t know….maybe the hardware just won’t fit. All new American-market Passat models, of course, are four-door sedans, with the wagon having been dropped. And all, of course, are now FWD (front-wheel-drive), with the winter-friendly 4Motion models also having been dropped. Base prices start at $19,995 for manual-transmisson 2.5 models and jump to $28,995 for a V6. Prices on new Passats, this year, have dropped some $7000 from last year’s, models, primarily from VW’s having moved American-market Passat production out of high-priced German plants to a much lower-cost plant in Chattanooga, TN, so now the car is assembled with American labor…..with some foreign-sourced parts. According to VW officials, though, while the wagons seem to out of the American market for the forseeable future (a dumb decision, IMO), AWD 4Motion models may (?) be offered again if sufficient buyer-interest is there (I sure would choose one if I were buying a Passat…and I would probably get the wagon if offered).

The VW/Subaru shop I as at for the review (the same VW/Subaru shop I bought my own Outback at, so everybody there knows me) had a few new 2012 Passats in stock, although they just started to arrive last week and there weren’t a whole lot to choose from. But parked right out front was a new 2.5 SE model with automatic and a TDI model with the DSG automatic. Since the review request was from a lady doesn’t have a huge amount to spend on a new car, I chose the less-expensive 2.5 model for the review….it had the Tiptronic automatic (part of the SE-option- package) and listed for around 25K….a reasonable price. It turned out to be a relatively nice, pleasant, mid-sized sedan….but, like with all cars, with a few flaws. Details coming up.

MODEL REVIEWED: 2012 Volkswagen Passat SE-Package (includes automatic transmission)

BASE PRICE: $24,825

OPTIONS:

Heavy-Duty Trunk Liner: $125

(4) Mojo Mats (Yes, that's what VW calls them): $125

Luggage-Net: $95

DESTINATION/FREIGHT: $770 (about average for this class of car)

LIST PRICE AS REVIEWED: $25,940

DRIVETRAIN: FWD, Transversely-mounted 2.5L in-line 5-cylinder, 170 HP @ 5700 RPM, Torque 177 ft-lbs. @ 4250 RPM,
6-speed automatic Sportshift transmission.

EPA MILEAGE RATING: 22 City / 31 Highway

EXTERIOR COLOR: Black

INTERIOR: Titan Black V-Tex (Imitation Leather/Vinyl)

PLUSSES:

Smooth, refined in-line 5-cylinder engine feels torquier than the specs.

Cast-iron engine-block for durability not often seen any more.

Smooth automatic transmission, but quirky in some lower gears.

Reasonably smooth ride.

Good ride-handling combination in the German tradition.

Relatively quick steering response.

Generally flat cornering.

Firm, effective brake-pedal, but with a small amount of initial sponginess.

Good wind-noise control.

Conservative, attractive (IMO) exterior styling.

Side-mirror-mounted turn-signal indicators for safety.

Excellent paint job, even in black (the hardest color to do well).

No extra-charge for metallic paint as is common with German car companies.

Handsome-looking (IMO) alloy wheels on almost all versions.

Classy-looking analog dash-clock.

Good front headroom.

Excellent rear headrom and legroom for a mid-sized sedan, even with the sunroof housing.

Nice interior-trim materials, especially with the wood-tone packages and beige interior.

Softly-padded dash and door-paneled inserts.

Nice, well-done V-Tex imitation leather/vinyl upholstery.

Good stereo-sound quality.

Clear, easy-to-read circular gauges.

Convienient trunk-remote rear-seat releases.

Now built in Chattanooga, TN, with American labor.

3 year/36,000 mile free scheduled-maintenance.

MINUSES:

Spotty overall reliability of previous models.

No AWD 4Matic option for the American market is outrageous.

No more wagon model for the American market almost as outrageous.

Quirky first and second transmission gears in full-automatic mode.

Some road noise from the tires.

Exterior sheet metal OK, but not as solid-feeling as on former Passats.

Dull, funeral-home exterior paint colors.

No body-side mouldings for parking-lot door protection.

Manual hood prop-rod instead of nice struts or springs.

Underhood layout-access could be better.

Cloth seats available only with certain exterior colors.

Temporary spare tire instead of a real one.

So-so carpeting in the trunk.

Oddly-shaped side-mirrors OK but could be a little larger.

Some poorly-marked stereo/climate-control *****/buttons and video-screen take getting used-to.

Relatively flimsy-feeling plastic-stalks for wipers and turn-signals.

Very-poorly-located brake-pedal for large feet.

EXTERIOR:

Walking up to the new Passat and viewing it for the first time, I find the exterior styling well-done. Like its smaller-brother VW Jetta, it looks like a car, not a space-ship. Styling, of course, is a subjective matter, and opinions differ on it, but I liked the somewhat conservative lines, without things that I consider Geeky and unattractive like on the new Hyundai Sonata and Elantra. In fact, IMO, this is what the all-new 2011 Sonata should have looked like, and didn't. VW also gave the new Passat a superb-quality paint job, virtually as good as what we typically see on Lexus and Audi models, which rank among the best mass-produced paint-jobs in the industry. Even the black paint job on my test-car was smooth, even, glossy, and pretty-much free of orange-peel.....Black is often the hardest color to get right and avoid the orange-peel ripples. Best of all, VW does not charge extra for some colors on the Passat like many German cars do, and even some American-nameplate ones. Unfortunately, you won't find any bright or cheery shades on the new Passat's color-choice....most of them are definitely on the dull side, and suited for a hearse. Even though the roofline has somewhat of a hump-back shape (like most of today's sedans), it doesn't seem to lower either front or rear-seat headroom.......more on that later. The twin exterior side-mirrors snap/swivel and lock in place smoothly and easily, and, like many European-designed cars, have integrated turn-signals in them for safety. I liked the looks of almost all of the different alloy-wheels on the new Passat, which I thought were nicely-done. The quality of the exterior trim/hardware seems well-done, and is fitted/applied well.

All is not perfect with the exterior, though.....there are a few flies in the ointment. Like many other new-generation cars today, the relentless drive for cost-cutting and weight reduction seems to have resulted in thinner body sheet-metal and tinnier-closing doors that don't feel as solid and substantial as the doors in older Passats. Also like on a lot of new cars, the cost-cutting has omitted body-side mouldings to help protect the paint from parking-lot dings. The twin side-mirrors, though with the nice aforementioned turn-signal indicators for safety, are half-trapezoid-shaped and, IMO, slightly too small for optimum vision. But, overall, a well-done exterior.....VW, IMO, could have done a lot worse.

UNDERHOOD:

Pop open the reasonably-solid hood (though, as mentioned, the sheet-metal feels a little thinner than older Passats), and you must fumble with a manual prop-rod to hold it up instead of nice convienient gas-struts or springs....a family sedan, IMO, (and most vehicles) should have struts or springs to hold it up. Under the hood is a nice and reasonably-thick sound-insulation pad (and it works.....more on that later). The 2.5L in-line 5-cylinder engine fits underhood reasonably well, and there is at least a little space (though not a whole lot) around the edges of the block to reach things. But the whole top of the engine, like in many of today's cars, is hidden by a big plastic cover, which prevents quick access. A nice surprise on the engine itself, though, and something you don't see much of anymore, is a nice cast-iron block.....according to the specs, that is also true of the Passat's TDI diesel and 3.6L V6. I'm a big fan of cast-iron blocks myself. Though admittedly heavy, and adding to the weight on the car's front-end which can affect handling and braking, a cast-iron block is rock-solid durable, cheaper to produce, and can usually withstand possible damage/warping from overheating better than lighter (and more common) aluminum blocks. Good move, VW. The battery is over to the right and back slightly, and is covered up, but with a simple-to-remove fabric flap-cover rather then a more-restrictive plastic one. The dipsticks, filler-caps, and fluid-reservoirs are all relatively easy to see and
use.

INTERIOR:

The interior of the new Passat, overall, IMO, was comfortable and rather pleasant-looking. Like the conservatively-styled exterior, I also liked the conservative styling inside.......again, IMO, this is what the new Hyundai Sonata should have been inside, and isn't. One of the things that my friend was concerned about was headroom...and there is plenty of it, both front and rear, especially on models, like my test-car, without the sunfoof-housing, which typically robs about an inch or so of headroom. With my 6' 2" height and ubiquitous baseball-cap, my cap didn't touch the ceiling at all, even in the back seat (which is unusual in the rear). In addition, there is also plenty of legroom both front ahd rear, even for a guy my size in the back seat when the front-seat is adjusted where I like it. The Passat ads promise good rear-seat room....and it seems to deliver. The front seats are fairly comfortable, reasonably-supportive, and, in my test car, came with a V-Tex imitation Leather/Vinyl which looked and felt more pleasant than the fake-leather used in some BMW and Mercedes models. The V-tex is also easy to clean, especially in black, like on my test-car. Upmarket Passats, of course, come with real leather. Cloth seats are also available on some models, but is tightly-restricted according to exterior color.....another marketing goof, IMO. Both the primary and secondary-gauges are clear, simple, and easy-to-read. The steering wheel is well-shaped, and the leather-wrapping is smooth and comfortable to hold. The sun-visors are effective and have a nice fabric covering, instead of the hard-plastic on many new cars. The ceiling/headliner also has a nice-feeling fabric. All of the interior hardware feels reasonably-solid and durable except for the somewhat flimsy-feeling steering-column stalks for the wipers and turn-signals.....a common problem on a lot of German-designed vehicles. The stereo-sound quality was quite good, though not quite up to luxury-car standards, but its tuning/display functions, with a mixture of video-screen and conventional *****, are a little complex and take some time to learn. Such is also the case with the dual climate-control system buttons/***** and video-screen readouts.....they are also a little complex, with some unmarked *****, and take some learning and getting used to. The upper-dash and some door panel inserts are comfortably soft-padded, and the general trim level/quality seemed well-done. My test-car had a black interior with silver/metallic trim, but I thought that the beige interior with the wood trim (which I pictured above in the images) looked even better.

CARGO AREA/TRUNK:

I had mixed-reviews on the Passat sedan's trunk (and, of course, I missed the much-roomier Passat wagon, which was dropped this year here in the U.S.). Flip open the trunk-lid (like the rest of the body sheet metal, it felt reasonably solid, but a little thinner than last year's lid), and you have a cargo area that, in size/volume, is about average for a mid-size sedan. The humpback-whale roofline, like on most of today's sedans, cuts into the size of the trunk-lid somewhat, but reasonably bulky items can still be loaded into the trunk with relative ease. Two nice, convienient remote pull-levers under the trunk-lid help make it easier to drop down the split-rear seats for added cargo area, if needed. The dark-gray carpet used to cover the floor and sides of the trunk was rather thin and cheap-feeling, though not totally out of line with the car's price. My test-car had a couple of trunk-options....a $95 cargo-net to help hold in bags/packages, and a $125 thick-carpeted custom-fit mat to cover up the standard thin-feeling carpet-fabric on the floor. Under the trunk-floor was (yep, you guessed it) a temporary-spare-tire rather than a real one. On many older VW products, the push-release for the trunk-lid, with a hinge, was built into the big chrome VW-logos on the trunk-lids....on the new Passat, it has a now-conventional fixed-logo and electronic touch-feel release under the deck-lid.

ON THE ROAD:

Start up the in-line 2.5L five-cylinder engine with the typical VW push-button flip-out key and side-column ignition switch (keyless-entry and an engine START/STOP button are an option on the base model and standard on the others). The engine turns over and idles surprisingly smooth and quiet for an engine with 5 cylinders (because of the 4-cycle firing-pulses in the cylinders, it is usually easier to dampen out the vibrations with an even number of cylinders rather than odd). It remains relatively smooth/quiet and refined on the road, with a surprising amount of spunk for a base, non-turbo engine. Even with the 6-speed Tiptronic transmission hooked to it, it has enough power to mildly push you back in the seat, even in third gear where some small low-powered engines engines start to run out of steam. This engine, IMO, has enough power for the added weight/drag of the AWD 4-matic system, if VW would only offer it in the U.S. I think that, like the smaller (and superb) 2.0 Turbo four in some other VW/Audi products was for awhile, the 2.5L seems to be somewhat under-rated in the torque department....it felt, to me, like more than the spec-rated 177 ft-lbs.

The 6-speed automatic used in the base 2.5 model, as I described in the opening-remarks, is not the superb DSG of upmarket models, but the more-conventional, less-complex Tiptronic torque-converter automatic. Unlike some other VW/Audi Tiptronics I've sampled, this one seemed to have a somewhat
quirky feel to it in the lower-gears. First gear, starting from rest, was sluggish for a second or two, then power came on with a rush, with an upshift to second-gear for another second or so, then a quick, almost-immediate upshift to third. Third-gear and up, through sixth, it shifted more normally. That was my only complaint with the otherwise near-flawless drivetrain, though, and the transmission was generally smooth, pleasant, and refined. And, of course, one can shift manually by bumping the Sport-Shift lever, if desired, into the automanual shift-gate....that will hold each gear as long as desired. There are no auto-shift paddles on the steering-column on the base-model Passat, but the auto-shift lever works smoothly and slickly, and the auto-manual shifts themselves are smooth.

The chassis/steering/suspension system, as expected with its German-engineering, is a good combination of ride and handling, though road/steering/tire-feel is not quite up to the level of, say, a BMW 3 or 5-series. Still, steering response is good, with a fairly quick reaction from steering-input, relatively flat cornering, and handling that is quite good for a mid-sized family-sedan with 55-series all-season tires (don't forget, the heavy iron-block engine also adds some front-end weight). Though there is some understeer, the overall handling is closer to neutral. Ride comfort is generally good (the softish 55-series tires help), and bumps are not transmitted harshly into the cabin as they are with a number of today's vehicles. Wind-noise at legal speeds is well-muted, but the tires do transmit some noise from the road-surface, especially on coarse pavement.....perhaps wheel-well sound-insulation was something the bean-counters might skimped a little on to keep costs down. Still, even if not Lexus-quiet, the tires were not that loud, and a long-distance cruise can be taken in this car with a fair amount of comfort. The brakes, in the German sport-sedan tradition, were smooth, firm, and effective, but, to get to that firmness underneath, the brake pedal had about a half-inch of so of sponginess in the initial-travel.......then you felt the brakes start to grab. The pedal, though, had a big problem for big, size-15 circus-clown feet/shoes like mine. The way the pedal was located, your right foot sinks way down below it on the gas pedal, then tends to snag on the side of the brake pedal when you try to raise it. I have that problem, off-and-on, in a number of new-vehicles I test, but it was especially noticeable in the new Passat.

THE VERDICT:

Overall, I was pleased with the new Passat, especially with its good road manners, well-designed chassis, tasteful conservative styling inside and out, and its reasonable/affordable price, which has been reduced quite a bit this year from previous models. VW is aware of its reputation in America for indifferent customer-service and spotty reliability, and is working hard to improve both. But the marketing, this year, has serious problems.....the AWD 4Motion hardware should be an option right now, not at some indeterminate point in the future, since many potential Passat owners live in areas that get bad weather. The loss of the wagon-model this year in the American market, IMO, is outrageous, as the extra-versatility of the wagon for carrying things often comes in handy. There is also some cost-cutting in the thinner body sheet-metal this year and the lack of some simple convieience-items like hood-struts and body-side mouldings. The Passat's all-new design (untested, of course, in the long-run, for durability), and the spotty reliability of some previous versions is a possible source for concern. But VW does, on the other hand, like BMW, provide 3 years/36,000 miles of free factory-recommended service, at no charge to the customer. And if any reliability problems do arise, the 3/36 Bumper-to-Bumper and 5/60 Drivetrain warranties, now on a par with the warranties on many Japanese companies, will, of course, take care of them.

So, in summary, there are lots worse ways to spend one's hard-earned automotive dollars, and the new Passat, except for the quirky first/second gears in the Tiptronic transmission on the 2.5 model and the poorly-placed brake pedal for large feet, is generally a pleasure to drive. If you are willing to take a chance on a brand-new, untested design that has not been proved yet for reliability, it should prove to be a nice all-around mid-size sedan.

And, as always.....Happy Car Shopping.

MM

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-28-11 at 10:29 AM.
Old 07-28-11, 10:39 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Nice review,Mike
I find the design both in and out as boring as my Camry.

Looking forward to your review on the '12 Camry XLE and Hybrid.
Old 07-28-11, 10:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Nice review, Mike
Thanks.

I find the design both in and out as boring as my Camry.
It may be "boring" if you like cars that look more like space-ships than automobiles. Star-Wars styling, though, is just not my taste in cars......never has been and probably never will be.

Looking forward to your review on the '12 Camry XLE and Hybrid.
OK. I'll add it to my review list....more likely the XLE. Hybrid models may be harder to come by, but I'll drive one if I get a chance.
Old 07-28-11, 01:46 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow, the price went down 7000 dollars from last generation! Thats almost unheard of. Though, the car seems to look less premium than before (something about the detailing seems lacking).
Old 07-28-11, 02:40 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Very nice and timely review. I had meant to request this car, but it had slipped my mind.
I am with you, and one of the few, that like conservatively designed bodies. This is what led me to the Lexus IS. The front is low, the back is high, and there is a proper trunk that doesn't look cut off or like a hatchback. The window lines are easy on the eyes and proportional, and the wheels are clean and modern. At first I thought VW went overboard with the conservatism, but I've come to relish and appreciate it as more funky designs pop out from Ford and Hyundai. About my only exterior design complaint is the lower grille openings below the front bumper. They are just too plain and a little sport could have been injected here w/o disrupting the flow of the car.
I also like the traditional looking dash layout. While the new Focus, Cruz, and all new Hyundais are going nuts with holes, craters, tunnels, tubes, and odd shapes, VW continues to present a dash layout that's easy on the eyes. When I get into my daily driver, I don't want a trendy freak show. I want modern simplicity and classiness.
I also agree about the poor color selection. VW once offered some varied colors with character, but not lately. However I've seen the "gold-white" color in person and it's pretty trick.
Also happy to hear you liked the engine. I was worried when I read they included the five cylinder as the base engine. But it sounds like it's smooth and punchy. I look forward to driving this car and seeing for myself. For what it's worth, my 1999 tiptronic Passat with the 1.8T turbo four got 21/31 mpg's. Of course that was under the EPA's old ratings. I would expect the new five cylinder mill to trump the old mileage numbers considerably.
Thanks again for the review! I've always liked the Passat since my 1999, but the last few models have kind of lost their appeal until now. Lets just pray VW gets the quality control in check with this new US-built car. I also much rather have the 4/50 warranty than free maintenance.
Old 07-28-11, 04:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Very nice and timely review.

Thanks again for the review!
Sure....anytime It's my first job after taking a review-vacation for a few weeks.

I had meant to request this car, but it had slipped my mind.
You can also (probably) take a look at it for yourself now, since they are starting to come into VW dealerships now.

I am with you, and one of the few, that like conservatively designed bodies. This is what led me to the Lexus IS. The front is low, the back is high, and there is a proper trunk that doesn't look cut off or like a hatchback. The window lines are easy on the eyes and proportional, and the wheels are clean and modern. At first I thought VW went overboard with the conservatism, but I've come to relish and appreciate it as more funky designs pop out from Ford and Hyundai.
Couldn't agree with you more here, though the Lexus IS, IMO, is not that terribly conservative-looking. Its low-front/high-rear stance (which is quite common now) gives it a somewhat racy, aggressive look.

I also like the traditional looking dash layout. While the new Focus, Cruz, and all new Hyundais are going nuts with holes, craters, tunnels, tubes, and odd shapes, VW continues to present a dash layout that's easy on the eyes. When I get into my daily driver, I don't want a trendy freak show. I want modern simplicity and classiness.

Yep, that's a good way to describe some cars.....freak shows.

I also agree about the poor color selection. VW once offered some varied colors with character, but not lately. However I've seen the "gold-white" color in person and it's pretty trick.
Many of the most-common car-colors today make you wonder if you are buying a daily-driver or a hearse.

Also happy to hear you liked the engine. I was worried when I read they included the five cylinder as the base engine. But it sounds like it's smooth and punchy.
Considering its 5-cylinder configuration and relatively small displacement, the engine itself felt smooth, refined and torquey, but the way the Tiptronic handled its lower-gears in my test-car blunted some of its performance. The manual-transmission and/or DSG are likely to be somewhat more responsive.

I look forward to driving this car and seeing for myself.
See my comments above on this.....they are probably just starting to come into your local VW shops now. If not, you should see them soon.

For what it's worth, my 1999 tiptronic Passat with the 1.8T turbo four got 21/31 mpg's. Of course that was under the EPA's old ratings. I would expect the new five cylinder mill to trump the old mileage numbers considerably.
Your old Passat, of course, did not have the latest fuel-injection and electronic controls that the new 2011 version does, either. But both the old 1.8T and 2.0T were still impressive for their size, anyway.

Lets just pray VW gets the quality control in check with this new US-built car.
From what I understand, this is not only an all-new car, but a new factory in Tennessee. as well. Still, Hyundai managed to introduce a reasonably-reliable 2006 Sonata, an all-new car at an all-new American plant in Alabama. So, we'll see if VW can do the same.

I also much rather have the 4/50 warranty than free maintenance.
Yes, to some extent, but don't forget that while you lose one year and 14,000 miles on the bumper-to-bumper part, you also gain a year and 10,000 miles on the Drivetrain-warranty part.....and that is where the largest potential repair-expenses are likely to be (engine, transmission, final-drive gears, etc....)
Old 07-28-11, 04:34 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Great review! Seems VW cut corners mostly in all the right and appropriate places where we wouldn't complain mostly on a daily basis. They did a great job with the design, IMO, especially with the front end. The rear is a little bland but it does what VW wanted it to do, which is be conservative and clean.
Old 07-28-11, 04:39 PM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good review. Refinement is definitely among the best but long term quality is very questionable. As for the design I find it at the bottom of the class. It is very stale and boring and while others find it conservative I find to be simply cheap and a major step down from the previous generation. The leaders in style are the Kia Optima and Hyundai Sonata imo and their powertrains are right up there as well.
Old 07-28-11, 04:57 PM
scgt652
Pole Position

The rear end looks just like the 2009 Kia Optima.
Attached Thumbnails MM Review: 2012 VW Passat-ko.jpg  
Old 07-28-11, 06:19 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Thanks for the review MMarshall! But it does remind me of the Optima. ^^ But i wonder why the dropped the wagon, seemed pretty popular and looked good to.
Old 07-28-11, 06:42 PM
scgt652
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lamar411
Thanks for the review MMarshall! But it does remind me of the Optima. ^^ But i wonder why the dropped the wagon, seemed pretty popular and looked good to.
I totally agree. The Passat wagon (and the awd version) were very popular in the Northeast. I don't see how VW is going to meet their sales targets without either of these versions.
Old 07-28-11, 07:31 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

Nice review, Mike! My last vehicle was a '99 1.8T Passat. I loved the looks of the car and the interior space. It was very well done overall. I drove it to 212k miles before trading it in. The Lexus dealer couldn't believe I got that many miles out of it.

Personally, I think it took a step back in the exterior styling a bit, being that it is so conservative but have to agree that some of the newer sedans (Hyundai, Ford, Kia) have gone overboard. I like the interior with the straight-forward approach. I always loved the legroom in my old Passat, front and rear, so it's good to hear that hasn't changed much. And a $7000 price drop makes it an excellent value. I'd love to see an update with the DSG transmission tested. Hopefully the reliability holds up with the rest of the car.
Old 07-28-11, 07:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lamar411
Thanks for the review MMarshall!
Sure...anytime.

But i wonder why the dropped the wagon, seemed pretty popular and looked good to.
Originally Posted by scgt652
I totally agree. The Passat wagon (and the awd version) were very popular in the Northeast. I don't see how VW is going to meet their sales targets without either of these versions.
The official reason (from what I heard from VW reps) is that market research told them that they did not need to keep them, noting that Toyota and Honda dropped Camry/Accord AWD and Wagon versions years ago, and have done well. But, like you, I think they are just overlooking the AWD and wagon's popularity, and trying to cut costs in their new plant by building just one body style.
Old 07-28-11, 08:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RX_330
Great review!
Thanks.

Seems VW cut corners mostly in all the right and appropriate places where we wouldn't complain mostly on a daily basis.
That, of course, is what the company wants people to believe, and, of course, I respect your opinion on that. But the lack of a simple body-side-mouldings on a car that (as you note) is likely to be driven on a daily-basis and left in parking-lots, IMO, is just plain skin-flint cheapness. Fortunately, aftermarket moldings can be purchased at some auto-parts shops. And some dealerships offer them as dealer-installed accessories, but at inflated prices.

They did a great job with the design, IMO, especially with the front end. The rear is a little bland but it does what VW wanted it to do, which is be conservative and clean.
I agree. I get so sick and tired of aero/jelly-bean and space-ship styling on newer cars that it sometimes makes me want to just cover my eyes and walk away. A nice design like the new Passat is a refreshing (and welcome) change.
Old 07-28-11, 08:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by anthrax144
Nice review, Mike!
Thanks.

My last vehicle was a '99 1.8T Passat. I loved the looks of the car and the interior space. It was very well done overall. I drove it to 212k miles before trading it in. The Lexus dealer couldn't believe I got that many miles out of it.
Yeah, that's a lot of reliable miles for a VW product.......figures like that are more often associated with Hondas and Toyotas. But it shows that, in some cases, good care and sensible-driving help add longevity even with some vehicles that are not known for reliability.

Personally, I think it took a step back in the exterior styling a bit, being that it is so conservative but have to agree that some of the newer sedans (Hyundai, Ford, Kia) have gone overboard. I like the interior with the straight-forward approach. I always loved the legroom in my old Passat, front and rear, so it's good to hear that hasn't changed much.
I'm glad you (and several others) agree with me here. Some posters think that, with automotive design, my mind is stuck in the past and that I'm too resistant to change....which is untrue. I accept automotive change when I think it makes sense.

And a $7000 price drop makes it an excellent value.
Base models with the 5-speed manual now start at only 20K ($19,995). VW says this was made possible by the switch from German to American assembly-plants.

I'd love to see an update with the DSG transmission tested.
Can't get the DSG, though, with the base 2.5......you have to step up to the TDI or V6.

In other reviews, have driven several VW/Audi products with the TDI and/or DSG, and have described them in detail. Audi sems to be phasing the DSG out of most of its U.S.-market models, but VW still has it in some.

If I get a chance, though, since you want this particular car with the DSG, I'll try to test-drive one.

Quick Reply: MM Review: 2012 VW Passat