Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 First Drive- WANT.... BAD....

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-11, 07:21 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Not a fan of the wheels but that's a easy change love the front back is ok.
Old 07-16-11, 09:14 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

If I had loose change around for a sporty SUV, i'd rock one but for that price I rather stick to a X5 or GX even if it isn't the M.
Old 07-17-11, 05:09 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Equally equipped, not equal performance

JGC SRT8= $55K
BMW X5 50= $74K
Porsche Cayenne S= $85K
BMW X5M= $90K
BMW X6M= $93K
MB M63 AMG= $92K
Porsche Cayenne turbo= $118K

For a performance SUV.... that $ figure cannot be ignored... as for reliability.... True Delta is reporting fewer problems on new JGC than previous although jury is still out....

Last edited by rdgdawg; 07-17-11 at 07:30 AM.
Old 07-17-11, 06:02 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
(I will reserve part of my opinion, though, on the question of whether the 5000-lb. tow rating in the article is actually true now or a typo. Jeep, as of today, has not updated its web-site to add the new SRT-specs, but from what I remember, towing was not allowed with the former SRT model).
Jeep has stated in many articles and interviews that this SRT will indeed be tow rated up to 5,000 pounds. This is why they moved away from the center exit exhaust that the previous generation had.
Old 07-17-11, 07:06 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@mmarshall

As of the moment, between this and a 300C SRT8, I'm somewhat learning towards the JGC SRT.

As good as the new 300C SRT is, IMHO, so far the car doesn't seem to have the dynamism that I see in other American sport/performance vehicles like the Cadillac CTS-V Wagon or the Corvette or a Viper

Anyways, this new JGC definitely improves my perception of the Jeep brand.
Old 07-17-11, 09:18 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Totally pointless car. X5M or Turbo S is cool because richs will buy them. This? Garbage.
Old 07-17-11, 03:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
Jeep has stated in many articles and interviews that this SRT will indeed be tow rated up to 5,000 pounds. This is why they moved away from the center exit exhaust that the previous generation had.
Fine, but if so, they should update their web site. That is supposed to be the official source.
Old 07-17-11, 06:02 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Fine, but if so, they should update their web site. That is supposed to be the official source.
They have.... go to http://www.jeep.com/en/srt8/

And then when you click on Specifications PDF http://www.jeep.com/shared/2011/srt8...SRT8_Specs.pdf

Toward the end of Page 5. Officially listed trailer weight.
Old 07-17-11, 08:12 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

whats the point of these super suv's? You're probably not gonna use it for work like a truck, odds are you won't use it for towing. It doesn't handle as good as a real sports car or a sports sedan... I don't see the intrigue in these at all.

An SUV should have offroad tires and be used as a "UTILITY" vehicle before anything else...
Old 07-17-11, 08:32 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
whats the point of these super suv's? You're probably not gonna use it for work like a truck, odds are you won't use it for towing. It doesn't handle as good as a real sports car or a sports sedan... I don't see the intrigue in these at all.

An SUV should have offroad tires and be used as a "UTILITY" vehicle before anything else...
They are modern day station wagons, SUV was nothing more then a sales gimmick, at least with these high performance vehicles you get what you want, no different then all the other stuff on the road that is not used for its original specific purpose

Drive one, it out performs most cars, its not an SUV per say
Old 07-17-11, 08:54 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
They are modern day station wagons, SUV was nothing more then a sales gimmick, at least with these high performance vehicles you get what you want, no different then all the other stuff on the road that is not used for its original specific purpose

Drive one, it out performs most cars, its not an SUV per say
LOL this is coming from one of the biggest Mopar Haters on this site .

Seriously though, some people want enough room to haul the kids/dog/camping gear, and then they want to be able to put a smile on their face when driving to work...but they dont want to/cant afford 2 separate cars for these reasons....so why not cater to both wants at once?
Old 07-17-11, 11:48 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
Seriously though, some people want enough room to haul the kids/dog/camping gear, and then they want to be able to put a smile on their face when driving to work...but they dont want to/cant afford 2 separate cars for these reasons....so why not cater to both wants at once?
If you can't afford the wants, you shouldn't be buying a $55K SUV, and you damn sure won't be able to afford the insurance or the gas that goes with the SRT badging. Smile on their face while going to work and burning twice as much gas as they can afford? That's ridonkulous, mang. Time to stop coddling these people and let them either pay down their debt or move up at work and earn their wants. I know, I know, it's the "American dream" to have everything you want -the difference is, I'm not sure your neighbors want to pay for it when you let the house go to foreclosure because you needed to satisfy a "want" to go camping and a "want" to go to work with a smile on your face. /tiny rant

Big Mack
Old 07-18-11, 04:56 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Wow.... what passion on this thread...

One point about "the rich"- they don't become "the rich" by frivolously throwing money around... doesn't matter if you can afford it or not, the "smart" buyer considers ALL options on ANY purchase... I know SEVERAL wealthy friends looking hard at this... who also can and have paid CASH for... a Panamera turbo... another a Lambo Galladro...

Peace
Old 07-18-11, 11:22 AM
wntrwhte
Rookie

Some people just like the form factor of the SUV for driving comfort or whatever.

My father drives a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited and loves it to pieces. He doesn't need an SUV (though we use it to pull a utility trailer sometimes or haul furniture back from IKEA) but he wants it and he can buy it so why not.

He's in the market for the SRT8. He can afford to buy any car on the market that he wants to drive. If chrysler has one to sell him, why shouldn't they?

I don't understand the mentality that a car company shouldn't make a car because YOU don't want it. There are a lot of people who do. I just got back from Chrysler Nationals and there was a LOT of buzz about the new SRT8 jeep in particular-- whereas no one really gave a crap about the latest SRT8 Charger or similar.
Old 07-18-11, 01:15 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

From personal experience, almost everytime I see one of these driving around the driver is driving like a lunatic. The worst was when I was on my way to visit my parents, 2 lane road and the guy speeds up right onto my ***. I saw him in my rearview coming up and tried changing lanes earlier but couldn't. I switched lanes when i could to get out of his way and he was next to me and flooring it past me while i was still half way in the lane.

Sorry but there's a lot of dumb SUV drivers out there that already think they own the road because they drive an SUV (not speaking about ALL SUV drivers). Now those dumb drivers can have a fast SUV and still think they own the road. -_-

Quick Reply: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 First Drive- WANT.... BAD....