Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Chrysler Workers in Michigan Reportedly Caught Smoking, Drinking During Lunch Breaks

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-11, 10:56 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts
Default Chrysler Workers in Michigan Reportedly Caught Smoking, Drinking During Lunch Breaks

to me, smoking is somewhat ok. i don't promote smoking at all, but it's their choice and it's not like that will affect their work in the afternoon. but drinking, wow, just wow. videos in link

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/07/14...-during-lunch/

Workers at a Chrysler plant in Michigan have reportedly been caught on video smoking and drinking during lunch breaks.

Just ten months after revealing how some workers at the Chrysler Jefferson North Plant in Detroit spent their lunch hour drinking beer, another investigation by MyFoxDetroit.com found more of the same at Chrysler's Trenton Engine Plant in Trenton, Mich.

At least two workers told the station's investigative reporter they do not want to work with people who have been abusing drugs or alcohol prior to returning to work.

"It's dangerous," one employee reportedly said.

The latest video shows workers roughly a mile from the plant, but just steps away from a United Auto Workers hall.

In a statement to MyFoxDetroit.com, Chrysler said the conduct captured on tape was "unacceptable" and the workers would be suspended indefinitely without pay once they are identified.

"I just want to say I am both hurt and angered over what your cameras captured," said Scott Garberding, senior vice president of manufacturing.

"Again, we have Chrysler workers in a compromised position, without regard for the impact of their actions, the reputation of their coworkers, the plant, of the company, not to mention their own reputation and that of their families. As a company, in the last two years we've come too far and made way too much progress to let the bad actions of a few put a shadow on the rest of the employees," Garberding said.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/07/14...#ixzz1S6TzyxuL
Old 07-14-11, 11:20 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know too many people in manufacturing that sneak drinks during lunch breaks.

It's a serious shame.
Old 07-14-11, 11:39 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

This is great to see!

At first I thought it was a repost, but to my delight it is current events.

Combined with the Ram recall, this makes for a prize week for me (Number 1 Chrysler hater).

Like I said before, I believe driving a Chrysler lowers mental acuity and combine that with having to build them all day leads to who knows what.

I feel bad for Fiat for investing in Chrysler. At least we have Fiat shops now but I continue to scratch my head to determine what real value Fiat will get from the deal.
Old 07-14-11, 01:42 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I met a guy recently who was an ex detroit auto worker and he told me that its common to see them also smoking marijuana and even crack cocaine. Pretty sad but with Chrysler quality does this surprise anyone?

BTW its not cigarettes that guy in the second photo is smoking. Looks like he is smoking something in a pipe to me
Old 07-14-11, 01:51 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Gotta say it again:

Imported from Detroit.

Quality and Craftsmanship you can count on.

In all seriousness, this is BAD PR for Chrysler, they better start stepping their game up in the workplace to get rid of these folks.
Old 07-14-11, 01:54 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
This is great to see!

At first I thought it was a repost, but to my delight it is current events.

Combined with the Ram recall, this makes for a prize week for me (Number 1 Chrysler hater).

Like I said before, I believe driving a Chrysler lowers mental acuity and combine that with having to build them all day leads to who knows what.

I feel bad for Fiat for investing in Chrysler. At least we have Fiat shops now but I continue to scratch my head to determine what real value Fiat will get from the deal.
My thoughts exactly. Chrysler is absolute scum and I hope to live to see the day when they finally are no longer able to cheat death.
Old 07-14-11, 02:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I met a guy recently who was an ex detroit auto worker and he told me that its common to see them also smoking marijuana and even crack cocaine. Pretty sad but with Chrysler quality does this surprise anyone?

BTW its not cigarettes that guy in the second photo is smoking. Looks like he is smoking something in a pipe to me
that's what i thought. title says smoking, but i kept on wondering if they meant more than that, which looks like so from the video and pics.

complete shame and stupid. and they are crying / whining for government to use our damn money to bail them out. screw them. and they were in a union parking lot huh? wow, ic, gotcha
Old 07-14-11, 08:47 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Lmao AGAIN!!!
Old 07-15-11, 08:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

That's the UAW for you.....it's hard to discipline irresponsible workers, even if drinking on the job. And even if the UAW doesn't step in, the ACLU sometimes does.

Tobacco-smoking, of course, is legal for adults, and, though regulated in some places, you can't always prevent it everywhere. But my opinion is that if you choose to smoke (or use illegal drugs) and put your health at stake, you shouldn't expect the company (or the union) to pay for your health-insurance coverage. I lost my late-father, BTW, to the ill-effects of cigarettes and cancer.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-16-11 at 07:37 PM.
Old 07-15-11, 10:58 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Look at all the haters in this thread, seeing others numb themselves to the idea of going back to work does not put a smile on my face, I feel bad for these workers that they have to do this, to be stuck in middle America with no way to escape, factory jobs are nothing more then same thing everyday.

Smoking and drinking on the job, everyone does this
Old 07-15-11, 11:15 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
Look at all the haters in this thread, seeing others numb themselves to the idea of going back to work does not put a smile on my face, I feel bad for these workers that they have to do this, to be stuck in middle America with no way to escape, factory jobs are nothing more then same thing everyday.

Always someone who feels pity for Union Workers.......

No, not everyone drinks and smokes on the job. Do alot of folks yes. Do I like my job? Absolutely not, but I do it, and I don't smoke or drink before, during or after. Do many folks who come to work smoke/drink, of course, but that is not justification for doing it because its repetitive and mundane.
Old 07-15-11, 11:19 AM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Exclamation

It's a choice. They could always move and find something else to do, but these are not exactly crappy jobs - they make, on average, about $28 an hour, plus benefits and overtime. Gone are the days of working in a filthy factory with lots of chemicals and crap getting on you. There is also no conscription into it.

Really? So you have done a study on this? What about those of us who don't smoke and rarely drink? I can't even tell you the last time I raised a pint, whether to myself or to my dead homies who ain't here no more. I don't think it's even a majority of people who both drink and smoke on the job. Even plumbers, electricians, carpenters, etc. don't get to do this anymore. I have a friend who is a construction superintendent and they do not allow any smoking except during breaks, and those who sign off on not smoking for insurance get tested for tobacco usage in order to get the discount provided. Apply and fail and you will get written up for lying and no discount for you. He regularly visits the job sites, too, and since the guys only get 35 minutes for lunch, makes it rather hard to get to a pub, down a few, and go back.

As for the workers, I sincerely hope that the union does not even attempt to help them escape their fate. They made the choice, they should live with the consequences. If I were Fiat, I'd be instituting drug and alcohol screenings. These are both legal and could actually yield a discount on insurance policies for them. That's win/win right there.

Big Mack
Old 07-15-11, 11:59 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Jewcano
Always someone who feels pity for Union Workers.......

No, not everyone drinks and smokes on the job. Do alot of folks yes. Do I like my job? Absolutely not, but I do it, and I don't smoke or drink before, during or after. Do many folks who come to work smoke/drink, of course, but that is not justification for doing it because its repetitive and mundane.
Actually I really don't care, I don't feel pity for them, when they interviewed the guy at the end he obviously knew what he was doing, what you put out you get back.

Originally Posted by Big Mack
It's a choice. They could always move and find something else to do, but these are not exactly crappy jobs - they make, on average, about $28 an hour, plus benefits and overtime. Gone are the days of working in a filthy factory with lots of chemicals and crap getting on you. There is also no conscription into it.

Really? So you have done a study on this? What about those of us who don't smoke and rarely drink? I can't even tell you the last time I raised a pint, whether to myself or to my dead homies who ain't here no more. I don't think it's even a majority of people who both drink and smoke on the job. Even plumbers, electricians, carpenters, etc. don't get to do this anymore. I have a friend who is a construction superintendent and they do not allow any smoking except during breaks, and those who sign off on not smoking for insurance get tested for tobacco usage in order to get the discount provided. Apply and fail and you will get written up for lying and no discount for you. He regularly visits the job sites, too, and since the guys only get 35 minutes for lunch, makes it rather hard to get to a pub, down a few, and go back.

As for the workers, I sincerely hope that the union does not even attempt to help them escape their fate. They made the choice, they should live with the consequences. If I were Fiat, I'd be instituting drug and alcohol screenings. These are both legal and could actually yield a discount on insurance policies for them. That's win/win right there.

Big Mack
I see what your saying, I did not mean everyone as in everyone, more like we all know someone, or of someone, but I agree with what your saying
Old 07-15-11, 12:04 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

I see what your saying, I did not mean everyone as in everyone, more like we all know someone, or of someone, but I agree with what your saying
Cool. We good, then. Might have to pour a little out for the homies tonight now that I think more about it.

Big Mack
Old 07-15-11, 01:09 PM
MikeSC
Driver School Candidate

Any lawyers,brokers,doctors,etc. smoke dope or drink at lunch or on breaks?

Quick Reply: Chrysler Workers in Michigan Reportedly Caught Smoking, Drinking During Lunch Breaks