Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Gen Y’s Favorite Cars Are Foreign (Scion tops the list)

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-11, 08:47 AM
E6BAV8R
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not surprising - the cheapest, most reliable 4-door are still the trend for Gen Y. Not too difficult to comprehend. Most people in Gen Y are still driving the cars they received when they graduated high school/college (when they didn't have surplus of money to spend on more expensive vehicles). Notice the survey doesn't put the year of the car models.
Old 07-10-11, 10:22 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Don't forget that the GenY market has been the hit hard with the ugly economy.

Young, over-educated, underemployed people with the desire to get a car that exudes personality without a lofty price tag.

And since this market population has been hit, so has Scion as a brand. You can't sell stuff to people who don't have the money for such an expenditure (yet). When the economy was good, Scion sold. Now that it's sour, Scion is in a rut.
Yes, tough times for all means buying cheaper cars or keeping what you have. Yet I see many new Civics, Corollas, and Hyundais in student parking lots. I don't think Scion is in a rut because of the economy. After not having any new products for many years (problem #1), the last few new Scions have only received luke warm reviews and their styling has been called controversial (problem #2). I think that has had a hand in less sales for the brand. I simply don't see new tC's or new Scions like I once did. It's all the older ones. Putting a photo in the header showing the new tC and saying this is what Gen Y'ers are buying IMO seems off.
Old 07-10-11, 10:32 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Yes, tough times for all means buying cheaper cars or keeping what you have. Yet I see many new Civics, Corollas, and Hyundais in student parking lots. I don't think Scion is in a rut because of the economy. After not having any new products for many years (problem #1), the last few new Scions have only received luke warm reviews and their styling has been called controversial (problem #2). I think that has had a hand in less sales for the brand. I simply don't see new tC's or new Scions like I once did. It's all the older ones. Putting a photo in the header showing the new tC and saying this is what Gen Y'ers are buying IMO seems off.
according to the poll, thats what they are buying... problem was definitively recession, not only for Scion but Toyota at large.

Scion had same model cycle like rest of the industry.
Old 07-10-11, 01:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Top Models for Generation Y Buyers

10. Toyota Corolla — $16,660
So much for the Corolla being a Mom-and-Pop car.

This is just one example, among many, why I usually don't believe (or agree with)stereotypes.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-10-11 at 01:58 PM.
Old 07-11-11, 01:17 AM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Still wouldn't touch a Scion with a ten foot pole, and I'm in the age bracket they aim to appeal to.
Old 07-12-11, 02:22 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Meh...these are the same kids who wear skinny jeans that are hanging half way down their butts.
Old 07-12-11, 03:43 AM
dj.ctwatt
Lead Lap

I call statistics shananigans. Is this number based on total sold for the demographic, or percentage of buyers in the demographic. It's a subtle but important difference, and the quoted article is very vague. Number 1 in what? For instance, brand B may sell more cars, but have a smaller percentage of the demographic. Does that mean its still #1, or does that make it number 2?

Last I checked, Scion sales were terrible compared to the competition. Also interesting is how well the Yaris and Corolla fare. It could suggest that the existence of the brand is unnecessary, and that Toyota need focus only on better cars for the market.