Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus dealer traffic... slooooow (?)

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-11, 11:56 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Lexus dealer traffic... slooooow (?)

Today I took my IS to a local SoCal Lexus dealer for an oil change. Since I had an hour to kill, I took a walk down the street to Audi. The place was a madhouse. The showroom had two dozen people inside, the parking lot was overflowing, and new cars were constantly pulling in and out. Got back to Lexus and the same two cars were in the parking area and the showroom was devoid of people. Service department was also dead. And they only had five new IS's on their lot.

In light of the recent earthquake shortage and previous threads about it, I didn't expect it to be this bad. Maybe part of the reason was I was not at a volume dealer, but the Audi dealer I saw was also not a volume dealer. Hopefully today's display was just a fluke.

Anyone else notice things slow at their dealer?
Old 06-24-11, 06:03 AM
DaSyce
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I hope that's the case for my local dealer, I'd love to see some nice promotions so I can trade in my IS.
Old 06-24-11, 08:56 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I think Lexus has eschewed the Turkish Bazaar style of auto sales in the belief that their target customers don't want that type car buying experience. I agree with them. I enjoy visiting a quiet dealership with salespersons in suits behaving as mature business people. IMO, most Lexus salespersons should be out in the community, at business group meetings, golf outings, etc. rather than parked at the dealership waiting for "ups". When a contact they made at the local hospital's golf outing calls about a car, they can present the car at the person's home, office, or by appointment at the dealership - not under sale tent beside the giant inflatable gorilla.
Old 06-24-11, 09:08 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I was checking out the Audi Q5, Lexus RX, and BMW X3 two days ago, and among the dealerships, I must say the Lexus dealer did have the least traffic, but could it be because it was just 9:30 AM? when they just opened, and the BMW was the 2nd busiest, alot checking out the BMW X3 and 5-Series but gee no hi or nothing while walking around, with Audi 2nd least busy, friendly staff similar to Lexus but boy the salesperson was bashing the BMW and Lexus like crazy , and the back up camera failed on my Audi Q5 test drive and the salesperson couldn't explain why. Ended up though with a Nissan Murano after all the search.
Old 06-24-11, 09:50 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Service department was also dead.

Anyone else notice things slow at their dealer?
Well, service is where you get your car repair and maintained

Go to the benz dealer and their service is a madhouse-a zoo. After dropping your car at the service and waiting for your loaner, you need to roam around so it can be ready. That does create a busy atmoshpere
Old 06-24-11, 10:15 AM
chuang
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you have to fix a lots of new cars, there are going to be more consumers around especially true for BMW and Audi.
Old 06-24-11, 10:38 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I would think they are busy because their line up is fresh and exciting. The Lexus line up has added 2 hybrids and a convertible that is to small and over priced in the last year
Old 06-24-11, 10:58 AM
scgt652
Pole Position

Last month I went with my brother to pick up his new Panamera at an Porsche/Audi dealer in CT. The place was empty. We were the only customers there. The salesmen were all standing around by the coffee machine and fraternizing.
Old 06-24-11, 11:29 AM
madmax2k1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Observing traffic in one Lexus dealership is hardly an indicator of how sales are going.

And who the hell waste their time with floor sales people in a dealership anymore, internet sales is where you get the best deals.
Old 06-24-11, 11:45 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by AutoUnion
The Audi, BMW, Mercedes dealer are always busy because they always seem to have some sort of new product. These guys are releasing good products left and right. And it's not the same old sedan, crossover, stuff. There's some new body styles too, like the A7, CLS, etc.

Lexus' lineup is old and stale at this point. Hopefully, that will help them.

And to think of it, Audi is currently the "IT" brand right now. My dealer can't keep Audis in stock and has a waiting list on most models.
those A7's are selling like crazy!

lol.
Old 06-24-11, 11:51 AM
scgt652
Pole Position

Originally Posted by madmax2k1
Observing traffic in one Lexus dealership is hardly an indicator of how sales are going.

And who the hell waste their time with floor sales people in a dealership anymore, internet sales is where you get the best deals.
This is so true. When I asked the sales manager at the Porsche/Audi store why there were no other customers there, he said most of their deals are done over the phone or internet. The only time the customer comes to the store is to pick up the car. This is exactly how my brother purchased his car as well. The sales manager also said they get lots of "fresh ups" on Saturdays, but very few of those people are serious shoppers.
Old 06-24-11, 12:32 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

I went into the local VW/Audi dealer to see if they got a new Passat. All 4 A7s they had on the lot had sold tags on them. All the Q5s had sold tags on them. Every single incoming Q5/Q7/A7 for the next couple months is either sold or has a deposit down on it.
Audi currently sells half of the cars that Lexus sells, and thats their record numbers.

If they cant build enough of their mainstream product, then it is their problem.
Old 06-24-11, 12:51 PM
scgt652
Pole Position

Audi might have a lot of buzz right now, but Lexus is laying the foundation to regain a lot of attention and buzz. For instance, although the LFA is a very low volume product, it has helped enhance Lexus' image. Even Paris Hilton's boyfriend bought her one.... and he could have just as easily bought her an R8. Likewise, the CT has made Lexus relevant to the Gen-Y crowd. Although neither of these cars sells in big numbers, they have had a positive effect on how people perceive Lexus. All of this will bear fruit very soon when their higher volume products get refreshed (2012 ES and GS, for starters).
Old 06-24-11, 02:17 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

BMW dealer is always nuts when i go there with my buddy when he's getting his car serviced or when i go test drive a car. Seems like 90% of the people there are there to lease the cars too lol
Old 06-24-11, 03:23 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

So a slow service department is now a bad thing ? Last time I checked, Toyota and Lexus dealers often have slow or dead service departments, because there isn't much fixing to be done on the cars usually apart from routine maintenance.

Obviously Audi or BMW dealerships will be busier, because their cars constantly have problems and issues that need service or repair.

Lots of cars parked at the dealer =/ lots of dealer traffic and also does not indicate interest in the brand.

The Audi, BMW, Mercedes dealer are always busy because they always seem to have some sort of new product. These guys are releasing good products left and right. And it's not the same old sedan, crossover, stuff. There's some new body styles too, like the A7, CLS, etc.

Lexus' lineup is old and stale at this point. Hopefully, that will help them.

And to think of it, Audi is currently the "IT" brand right now. My dealer can't keep Audis in stock and has a waiting list on most models.
More like, the Audi, BMW and Mercedes dealers are always busy because there are always issues or problems on those cars that need fixing or servicing, primarily electronic issues.

Lexus dealers right now can't keep a lot of models in stock either, like the CT for example. Lexus dealers have HUGE waiting lists for the CT. Japan got hit with an earthquake of biblical proportions which messed up the supply of Lexus vehicles. What's Audi's excuse for not meeting demand?

Porsche dealers are regularly empty, yet their sales are strong. I wonder why .

Originally Posted by LexusChris
I was checking out the Audi Q5, Lexus RX, and BMW X3 two days ago, and among the dealerships, I must say the Lexus dealer did have the least traffic, but could it be because it was just 9:30 AM? when they just opened, and the BMW was the 2nd busiest, alot checking out the BMW X3 and 5-Series but gee no hi or nothing while walking around, with Audi 2nd least busy, friendly staff similar to Lexus but boy the salesperson was bashing the BMW and Lexus like crazy , and the back up camera failed on my Audi Q5 test drive and the salesperson couldn't explain why. Ended up though with a Nissan Murano after all the search.
Electronics failing or having problems on a German car, nothing unusual about that .

I went into the local VW/Audi dealer to see if they got a new Passat. All 4 A7s they had on the lot had sold tags on them. All the Q5s had sold tags on them. Every single incoming Q5/Q7/A7 for the next couple months is either sold or has a deposit down on it.
So anecdotal observation at your local dealer is representative of nationwide sales overall?

I'd rather look at the facts, which are monthly sales figures than make observations at the local dealer.

Originally Posted by scgt652
Audi might have a lot of buzz right now, but Lexus is laying the foundation to regain a lot of attention and buzz. For instance, although the LFA is a very low volume product, it has helped enhance Lexus' image. Even Paris Hilton's boyfriend bought her one.... and he could have just as easily bought her an R8. Likewise, the CT has made Lexus relevant to the Gen-Y crowd. Although neither of these cars sells in big numbers, they have had a positive effect on how people perceive Lexus. All of this will bear fruit very soon when their higher volume products get refreshed (2012 ES and GS, for starters).
Perfectly agreed. Once Lexus refreshes their lineup, and sales and hype increases, just you watch, many of the haters will jump on the Lexus bandwagon .

Lexus hasn't had supply problems because its popular RX is built here in North America. And if you notice, Audi has been on the way up, and Lexus is on a downward slope, due to old, outdated models.

Audis are built in Germany. Exchange rates and supply problems have plagued Audi for the last couple years now because Audi AG prefers to send most of them to Europe, where they make more $$$. Should we bring up Lexus sales in Europe for comparison?

Obviously Lexus sales should be right at the top again in the US when the new products come, but even then Mercedes and BMW have been giving Lexus a run for top spot. It's only going to help the consumers. We're going to have more amazing products in the future from every company.
Wrong. RX supplies got disrupted by the March Japanese earthquake. Supplies of ALL Lexus models were disrupted. RX production is still not back to 100% yet. Supplies were disrupted because the factories of many suppliers in Japan were damaged. The RX is built primarily in Canada, but that is irrelevant since a lot of parts for it are still supplied from Japan.

If Audi prefers to sell most of their product in Europe and to have constant waiting lists in the US, that's their problem. Audi then will never achieve their goal of being one of the "big" luxury brands in the US if they continue with that arrogant and greedy attitude.

Soon, when Lexus completely refreshes their lineup, they will be "on the way up" and Audi at that point with it's stale lineup will likely be on the "way down". Then the cycle will repeat itself every few years. The Lexus lineup being overhauled and refreshed has been delayed due to extraordinary issues that Toyota was faced with over the last year or so. A massive US government witch hunt against Toyota, quality changes within the company that have delayed some models a bit, and the biblical earthquake in March that has delayed ALL future Toyota and Lexus products by a few months.

Quick Reply: Lexus dealer traffic... slooooow (?)