Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Review: 2011 Mitsubishi Outlander

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-11, 10:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default MM Review: 2011 Mitsubishi Outlander

By special CL-member request, a review of the 2011 Mitsubishi Outlander.

http://www.mitsubishicars.com/MMNA/j...overviewSplash

IN A NUTSHELL: Far nicer, IMO, than its predecessor; surprisingly so....but the CVT with the four-cylinders may have questionable reliability.

(Outlander)

(Outlander)

(Outlander Sport)

(Outlander Sport)

(Outlander)

(Outlander/Outlander Sport)

(Outlander)

(Outlander)

[Outlander 2.4L)

As with the Dodge Journey, I received a special CL-member-request for a review of the latest-version 2011 Mitsubishi Outlander. Like the Journey, the Outlander is sometimes overlooked in the sea of small-to-medium-size/crossover/car-based SUV offered in the American market. Mitsubishi, of course, is not one of the major players in the U.S. under its own nameplate, and little else but its Rally/Lancer-derived Evo and Ralliart is played up much in the American auto press. The company, though, has built and sold vehicles in conjunction with Chrysler and its divisions for decades, so many Americans have actually been driving Mitsubishi-designed or derived products for years without realizing it. And the first Hyundai Excel of the late 1980s (I won't get into its quality problems here) was actually a rebadged Mitsubishi Precis.

As far as Mitsubishi-designed/built vehicles go, over the years, some have been quite impressive and well-built, and others have bordered on complete junk....with almost all shades of gray in between. As with the Excel/Precis, I won't go into all the good and bad details here, but, for purposes of this review, will concentrate on the request, the Outlander series.

The Outlander, fortunately, has been one of Mitsubishi's most reliable American-market vehicles, with the 2007-2009 models all getting well-above-average marks from Consumer Reports (models from other years did not sell enough to have sufficient CR reliability data). I reviewed the last-generation Outlander a couple of years ago, and, frankly, though it was reliable, I was not impressed with its fit/finish, interior quality, or driving/road manners. I found it to be basic AWD all-weather transportation and nothing else.....a complete bore to sit in and drive, even by my conservative standards.

That is definitely not the case with the 2011 model. Though it still doesn't produce Ferrari/Lamborghini-type driving excitement, Mitsubishi realized that they had a problem with the old model's image and performance, and have obviously worked on it quite a bit. Engineering, interior fit/finish, sheet-metal solidness, seating comfort, and driving dynamics all seem substantially improved over the previous versions. A separate line (Outback Sport) has been added, as has a new CVT transmission for some models, though, as on some other CVT-equipped vehicles, I have some concern about that transmission's long-term reliability.

For 2011, in the American market, eight different versions of the Outlander are offered.....yes that's right, eight. The entry-level Outlander Sport comes in ES 2WD and SE 2WD or AWD levels (Mitsubishi calls it AWC for All Wheel Control) with a 2.0L in-line 4 of 148 HP/143 ft-lbs. of torque, and a CVT (Continuously Variable automatic Transmission). Regular Outlander series come in ES 2WD or SE 2WD or AWD, with a larger 2.4L in-line four of 168 HP/167 ft-lbs. of torque and the CVT. XLS models come with a 3.0L V6 of 230 HP/215 ft-lbs. of torque, a conventional 6-speed Shifttronic automatic transmission, and 2WD. GT models come with the same engine/transmission and AWD. No conventional manual-transmissions are offered. The Outlander Sport and Outlander series are not quite the same vehicle, though they share the Outlander name....the Sport is slightly smaller than the regular Outlander series, especially in the front and rear ends, and does not have the Outlander's optional 3rd-row seat (actually more of a tiny single-jump-seat). Base prices start at $18,495 for an ES 2WD Outlander Sport, and run to $28,590 for the top-line Outlander GT. I'm surprised, BTW, that the 2.4L four is offered both with AWD and the 3rd-row seat....that might be quite a load for it.

There has been much talk about whether or not Mitsubishi will remain in the American market (having been here under its own nameplate since 1983), or if steadily-declining sales would force them to pack up and leave like Isuzu did a few years ago. Mike (1SICKLEX) and I had several on-line chats/discussions about that.....as to which one would be first to go (Isuzu was, of course), and Mitsubishi has dropped some models from the American market. The Mitsubishi shop I was at today verified that the Endeavor and (probably) the Galant would be dropped. And, more signs are there in the declining numbers of Mitsubishi shops......the Mitsubishi dealer-network was never really that widespread in America to start with, and, like Suzuki automotive dealerships (as opposed to Suzuki motorcycles), is becoming increasingly sparse. Yet, on the other hand, the Mitsubishi shop I was at today was a brand-new dealership that just opened up....co-located with a Cadillac dealership run by the same family-owned company. If Mitsubishi was really getting ready to pull up anchor and jump-ship in America, I don't think we would see a brand-new franchise like that opening up, even in the notoriously money-rich and car-sales-rich D.C. area here (perhaps second in sales only to L.A.). But, still, like with Suzuki, there seem to be conflicting signs if Mitsubishi actually intends to leave or not.....right now, I wouldn't bet either way.

So, back to the review at hand. The specific request was for a 4-cylinder Outlander with automatic, sunroof, foglights, and no NAV. And, since the brand-new (and quite spacious) Mitsubishi dealership I was at today had a pretty good selection of new Outlanders in stock, that's just what I chose......a gray Outlander 4-cylinder SE with the CVT (the only automatic available on the fours) and the other equipment requested. I checked its road-manners with the sunfoof both open and closed, but did not actually test the foglights at night. However, this type of vehicle (high-stance and relatively high front sheet-metal) usually tends to muffle the effect of fog-lights anyway, because the driver is sitting pretty high above them, and some of the light is cut off from the driver's eyes by the high-stance front-end.

Unlike the last Outlander I drove, a couple of years ago, and some other recent Mitsubishi vehicles I've reviewed (and have given mediocre write-ups on) I basically enjoyed this review/test-drive. I could actually see myself living with this vehicle as a nice all-weather daily-driver, though I still think that Subarus, even lacking the adjustable 2WD/AWD *****, have better-designed AWD systems. Details coming up.

MODEL REVIEWED: 2011 Mitsubishi Outlander SE AWD (AWC)

BASE PRICE: $24,495

OPTIONS:

Premium Package: $1910

DESTINATION/FREIGHT: $780 (about average)

LIST PRICE AS REVIEWED: $27,185

DRIVETRAIN: Electronically-selected 2WD/AWD/AWD LOCK, Transversely-mounted 2.4L in-line 4, 168 HP @ 6000 RPM, Torque 167 ft-lbs. @ 4100 RPM, CVT (Continuously-Variable-Transmission) with pre-programmed rations.

EPA MILEAGE RATING: 22 City / 27 Highway

EXTERIOR COLOR: Graphite Gray

INTERIOR: Black Cloth

PLUSSES:

Long 10/100 Drivetrain, 5/60 Bumper-to-Bumper, and 5/Unlimited Roadside-Assistance warranties match or exceed Hyundai and Kia.

Good reliability record of previous Outlanders.

2.4L four has more spunk than expected.

Well-behaved transmission by CVT standards.

CVT transmission also has a conventional-like 6 pre-programmed "gear" ratios.

Manual-shifts by choice of bump-lever or steering-column-paddles.

Electronic 2WD/4WD/4WD-LOCK selector-**** for better acceleration/fuel-efficiency when AWD is not needed.

Smooth ride by small-SUV standards, with no porpoising.

Decent (but not BMW-like) road feel from the electric power steering.

Smooth, well-done, linear brakes and brake-pedal.

Good wind/road noise control.

Open sunroof does not cause much noise or wind-buffeting.

Good body sheet metal.

Fairly solid, precise-closing doors, hood, and hatch-lid.

Nice-quality paint jobs (but black has some orange-peel).

Handsome (IMO) alloy wheels.

Black/Chrome lower-body cladding to protect paint from road-debris.
(some models have body-color cladding)

Side-mirror-mounted turn-signal indicators.

Side mirrors well-designed/shaped for good vision.

Classy-looking (IMO) dotted taillights.

Easy-to-use Keyless Twist-Grip ignition switch on lower-line models,
START/STOP button on higher-line ones.

Much better interior trim quality than before.

Good exterior and interior hardware.

Superbly-done steering wheel and leather-wrapping.

Comfortable, form-fiting front seats.

Good front/rear headroom for tall people, even with sunroof housing.

Clear, easy-to-read primary gauges.

Simple, easy-to-use dash/climate/stereo buttons without NAV.

Nice stereo-sound quality.

Well-finished cargo area for this price-class.

Relatively bargain price for some versions.

MINUSES:

Sparse (and still thinning-out) dealer network, despite the brand-new dealership I was at today.

Mitsubishi future in the American market somewhat iffy.

Tight rear-seat room for tall people.

Unknown (and perhaps iffy) CVT reliability.

Annoying (IMO) nasal-sounding exhaust noise from the 2.4L four on acceleration.

Relatively slow steering response.

Noticeable, but not pronounced, body-roll.

AWD slows acceleration with 2.4L four noticeably (but still adequate with a light load).

Large, ugly (IMO) typical-Mitsubiushi trapezoid-shaped grille.

Annoying, but not particularly-awkward zig-zag CVT shift-lever.

Underhood manual prop-rod.

Relatively tight-fit underhood for 2.4L engine and some components (but battery is relatively accessable).

Ridiculously small, Munchkin-sized 3rd-row seat.

No body-side mouldings for parking-lot protection.

Temporary spare tire instead of a real one.

Cheap-looking (IMO) flat-black exterior-window trim.

Rather quirky (IMO) video-bar fuel/engine-temperature gauges.

Exterior paint-color and some interior-trim color-availability restricted by model.

EXTERIOR:

The exterior styling of both the new Outlander and Outlander Sport has adopted the (IMO) awkward-looking oversized, trapezoid-shaped Mitsubishi grille. The Outlander is visibly larger on the outside than the Outlander Sport. The smaller Sport is more car-like in its styling lines, especially in the rear D-pillars, where the larger Outlander's D-pillars look almost like a carbon-copy of the negative-upsweep ones on the Toyota RAV-4. Neither model has a protective body-side moulding for parking-lot dings. There is, though, on some models, a black-and-chrome lower-body-surround cladding to protect against road debris, though other versions have body-color painted cladding, which, IMO, makes little sense. The sheet metal seems solid, and all four doors and hatch lid, unlike on previous models, close with a fairly nice thunk. The paint job seems well-done, especially the brighter colors, though, as on many vehicles, the black has some minor orange-peel. Nine paint colors are offered, but several of those colors, including the nice Laguna Blue, are needlessly restricted by model/trim line. Integrated turn-signal indicators in the side-mirrors are included on higher-line Outlander series, but not the ES or Outlander Sport. The mirrors themselves are large and well-shaped for optimum side vision, and swivel/fold and lock smoothly and securely. I liked the look of the alloy-wheels on almost all the versions. But the flat-black mouldings around the windows, IMO, looked cheap (automakers, IMO, should seriously consider making either body-color or chrome window-mouldings standard...the flat-black is just too cheap-looking).

UNDERHOOD:

Not one of the car's better features, although, unlike on the Dodge Journey, the battery is reasonably accessable. Open the solid-feeling hood, and a nice underhood insulation-pad helps dampen some engine-noise, but nasal-sounding exhaust noise remains (more on that below). Instead of nice struts or springs to hold up the hood, you must fumble with a manual prop-rod......something else that automakers, IMO, need to dump once and for all. The basic underhood layout with the transverse-mounted 2.4L four-cylinder is not good. The engine is squeezed in fairly tight, and also has an annoying large plastic cover that hampers top-engine access. Nor is there much room to reach things around the sides of the block. The battery is not covered like in some cars, but is partially-blocked by what appears to be induction-tubes/ductwork for the EFI air-intake....those tubes are fairly easily removed, though. And the filler-caps, dipsticks, and fluid-reservoirs are all easily reached.

INTERIOR:

One of the car's best features...and worlds ahead of the last-generation Outlander. The quality/feel of the inside trim appeared to be very nice, and the dash and upper-door panels are fairly soft to the touch. The metallic trim, though mostly plastic, did not look or feel cheap, though I generally prefer wood-tone, which doesn't seem to be available, even with the Premium Package. The dash buttons/controls (without NAV) were superbly-done, simple, solid-feeling, well-marked, and easy-to-use (BMW, Mercedes, Audi: take note). The stereo-sound quality from the 710-watt Rockford-Fosgate unit in the Premium-Package was quite good, though obviously not to Lexus-Mark-Levinson levels. The front seats were comfortable and form-fitting for larger persons (like me), and the fabric generally felt nice. But, like with the exterior-paint, there were, IMO, too many restrictions on which interior color/pattern is available on what model. Headroom, front and rear, under the sunroof-housing, with the lower-front-seat-cushions adjusted down, is OK for tall people. Legroom/footroom, though, in back, was notably tighter than in the relatively spacious Dodge Journey. The steering wheel is a gem........extremely-well-wrapped in leather that is some of the most comfortable-to-hold that I've seen, nice silver-spoke trim that doesn't look or feel cheap, and large, silver, easy-to-flip shift-paddles for the CVT. The two primary gauges are clear, well-marked, and easy to read, but I didn't care for the two smaller fuel/engine-temperature gauges in between that were video-bar-graphs. The CVT shift-lever, on the console, is an (IMO) annoying zig-zag pattern instead of a nice no-nonsense fore/aft motion, though the manual bump-shifts are fore/aft. I usually cheak out the headliner and sun-visor materials, but forgot to this time.....sorry.

CARGO AREA/TRUNK:

Another one of the car's relatively nice features. Open the solid-feeling hatch-lid, and the conservative, squarish rear-end styling of the Outlander contributes to a nice, space-efficient cargo area....the Outback Sport's, of course, is somewhat smaller. Inside, the area is nicely-trimmed (more than you would expect for the price) with a thin but soft-feeling black carpet on the floor, and a non-carpet but soft-feeling black material on the walls. The tiny, Lilliputan-sized split-third-row seat in back, though, is a joke......IMO, it probably should have been left out all together. Despite the official two-person rating, it is only wide enough for one adult (with very tight legroom) or two fairly small children. It folds down, of course, for aded cargo space....as does the second-row seats as well. Under the floor, of course, is the usual temporary-spare instead of a real one...seems like you have to buy an off-road-rated vehicle nowadays to get a real spare. A cargo-cover, cargo-net, and cargo-mat for the floor (Subaru-style) is available as a package-option.

ON THE ROAD:

Start up the 2.4L four with a proximity fob and a built-in twist-**** on the side-column ignition switch (higher-line models get an engine START/STOP button). Still, the twist-**** is more convenient than having to fumble with a separete key. The in-line-four fires up and idles fairly smoothly/quietly, with some refinement, but, as revs build on acceleration, has a rather annoying nasal-like rasp to the exhaust. Power level, though somewhat on the low side, was a little more than what I expected...it will get out of its own way, especially in 2WD with the A/C off. The efficient CVT transmission, of course, helps with both acceleration and mileage.....though acceleration drops off noticeably in AWD mode. A nice large and solid-feeling **** on the console electronically, at the driver's input, switches the drivetrain from 2WD to 4WD and back as desired for economy/power and road-conditions. A LOCK function on the ****, which locks the differentials, is useful for extremely slick, off-road conditions, or if you get it stuck in the snow with the regular AWD. The CVT transmission is fairly well-behaved by CVT standards, with only very minor, almost unnoticeable motorboating/rubber-banding action. Like the competing Subaru and Nissan CVTs, it has pre-programmed "ratios" built into it for manual-shifting with either the bump-lever or shift-paddles. But the Nissan/Subaru CVTs have had some recalls/service-bulletins, and long-term reliability on some of them may be suspect....time will tell with the Outlander's CVT.

The chassis-engineering is about the norm and what you'd expect for small/medium car-based SUVs. Steering rsponse was a little on the slow side, and, with the fairly high center-of-gravity, some body-lean on corners. Ride comfort over bumps was fairly good, and wind/road-noise was well-controlled with the sunroof closed. Even when open, there was not much wind-buffeting or a lot of increase in external noise coming in....the upward-tilting wind-blocker in the sunroof, of course, helps. Brakes were generally well-done, smooth, linear, and effective, and I don't recall the brake-pedal location causing much hang-up on my big size-15 clown-shoe when going from gas-pedal to brake.

THE VERDICT:

Good job, Mitsubishi. This new Outlander will, IMO, will help erase some of the company's excessively-negative image it has gotten lately (yes, some of the negative talk was from me, too), Driving the last Outlander almost put me to sleep....sitting in and driving this one is more like a cup of good Starbucks. Its interior is a pleasure to relax in. Nice stereo music comes out the speakers. The doors and interior hardware don't have the tinny feel that the last version had. The drivetrain, though not a powerhouse, is adequate for most normal driving conditions, unless, perhaps, if you have a heavy load in hilly terrain. Cargo/space efficiency is good. The new 2011 model, like its predecessors, promises good reliability, though, of course, only time will verify that. And the superb Mitsubushi warranty meets or exceeds even that of Hyundai and Kia.

However, like with any vehicle, there's a few slip-ups. Underhood packaging, with the 2.4L four, could be better. Like with some other vehicles, there are too many paint/trim color restrictions by model. Rear-seat legroom is not especially generous. The dwarf-sized third-row seat is ridiculous...it should (maybe) be eliminated, though it does come in handy for one or two very small children. But most small children often need to ride where Mama can get to them quickly if they need attention....which can be diificult to do when they are that far in the back.

But, if it were my money, even though it would not necesarily be my first choice in a small SUV, I could see myself living day-to-day with an Outlander...it is nicely-built, offers much of the same bad-weather security as Subaru AWD systems, and, unlike Subarus, allows you to cut off the AWD when not needed. It is also reasonably-priced for what you get. One could do a lot worse with their hard-earned automotive dollars.......overall, this vehicle gets a good recommendation from me.

And, as always.....Happy Car Shopping.

MM

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-21-11 at 10:14 AM.
Old 06-21-11, 10:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AutoUnion
Good review sir
Thanks.

I've always thought these cars were a complete POS, but I guess not It's still very hard to consider a Mitsu these days. You don't know how long they'll be around.
Well, you weren't necessarily that far off. Some previous Mitsu products were POS'es. The former Outlander, though mechanically reliable, was not pleasant to drive, and the fit/finish was sub-par. That is not the case, IMO, with the 2011.

I agree that Mitsu's future in the U.S. is iffy, but, on the other hand, it's strange that the money and resources would be spent to open up a brand-new dealership (while others are closing) in my area if the company was getting ready to fold.

On the topic of the Merc/Audi/BMW nav systems, they're not hard to use at all. It took me a couple minutes to master iDrive and it took me about a day to learn MMI on my old Audi.
Good...glad you could cope with them. I haven't found one yet that I thought was easy or intuitive to use.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-21-11 at 10:43 AM.
Old 06-21-11, 11:29 AM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks

I always thought the regular Outlander was a pretty decent looking CUV. I actually think the thing i most liked was the interior when equipped when navigation. So simple.
Old 06-21-11, 03:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lamar411
Thanks
Sure...anytime.

I always thought the regular Outlander was a pretty decent looking CUV. I actually think the thing i most liked was the interior when equipped when navigation. So simple.
Which interior are you talking about...the older one or the new one? The new one, IMO, is head-and-shoulders above the old one.
Old 06-21-11, 04:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
so let's see what josh thinks.
Let's also see what you think, Paul. Though I often do reviews by special-request, I post them for everyone on CAR CHAT.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-21-11 at 05:05 PM.
Old 06-21-11, 05:30 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Wow, Mike, looks like this could very well be a shoe in for what we are looking for. Everything, from the price to the fuel economy, seems right.
Old 06-21-11, 05:53 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Outlander Sport and Outlander are like Rav4 with small wheelbase and Highlander. Yaris sedan and Camry? :-)
Old 06-21-11, 07:14 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by AutoUnion
I wonder how resale value is for Mitsubishis (That aren't Evos). Seems like a nice alternative to the Highlander, etc, but it wouldn't be if its worthless come time for a replacement
Thats my concern as well. I am looking at eating figurative **** if I trade in the Ram.

Someone bought it new for $42,000 in Feb 2009.

I paid $21,000 for it in November of 2010.

I got offered $12,000 for it by a dealer the other day. Of course I turned them down. Other dealers have offered me close to what I paid, but still. I dont think the truck will be going anywhere. I have pretty much resigned myself to having a car payment when I get back. Will be an adjustment, because I havent had one now for some time.
Old 06-21-11, 09:34 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Nice review Mike. It's alright, but rather ho-hum IMO. Nothing really stands out enough on this car to ever sway me to Mitsubishi in the small SUV segment.
Old 06-22-11, 03:47 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spwolf
Outlander Sport and Outlander are like Rav4 with small wheelbase and Highlander. Yaris sedan and Camry? :-)
Personally, I've that Yaris Sedan/Vios as my driver's ed car (when I was learning how to drive stick). As much as it is practical and reliably bullet-proof and a good point A <-> point B car, I'd never consider owning one or even spending money on one.

Same goes for the Camry, it's a good car that sells tons worldwide BUT I consider it as a car for old people........except for the Aurion TRD version (which is the best iteration of the vehicle ).

With that said, I'd recommend an Outlander over a RAV 4 if you want something different.

@mmarshall

Do they still offer the 3.0 V6 version in Stateside?

Anyways, a bit of info for those who don't know. Here's the engine and gearbox pairings for the Outlander.

-2.4 liter MIVEC petrol/gasoline engine (4B12)
= Invecs III CVT with 6-speed (under manual mode)

-3.0 liter MIVEC petrol/gasoline engine (6B31)
= Invecs II 6-speed automatic

-2.3 liter MIVEC common-rail diesel engine (4N14)
= 6-speed Twin-Clutch SST

Old 06-22-11, 04:13 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Personally, I've that Yaris Sedan/Vios as my driver's ed car (when I was learning how to drive stick). As much as it is practical and reliably bullet-proof and a good point A <-> point B car, I'd never consider owning one or even spending money on one.

Same goes for the Camry, it's a good car that sells tons worldwide BUT I consider it as a car for old people........except for the Aurion TRD version (which is the best iteration of the vehicle ).

With that said, I'd recommend an Outlander over a RAV 4 if you want something different.

@mmarshall

Do they still offer the 3.0 V6 version in Stateside?

Anyways, a bit of info for those who don't know. Here's the engine and gearbox pairings for the Outlander.

-2.4 liter MIVEC petrol/gasoline engine (4B12)
= Invecs III CVT with 6-speed (under manual mode)

-3.0 liter MIVEC petrol/gasoline engine (6B31)
= Invecs II 6-speed automatic

-2.3 liter MIVEC common-rail diesel engine (4N14)
= 6-speed Twin-Clutch SST

i tried to point out how different both versions are... in rest of the world, they are not called the same name.

Outlander is much bigger vehicle than Outlander Sport. It is literally like small Rav4 and Highlander when comparing the size.
Old 06-22-11, 05:14 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spwolf
Outlander is much bigger vehicle than Outlander Sport. It is literally like small Rav4 and Highlander when comparing the size.
You are right regarding that (that statement above)

As such, Mitsubishi Motors clarifies this very well on their global/international homepage.

Sources:
http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/en/...der/index.html
http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/en/...rvr/index.html

Old 06-22-11, 05:26 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

^^^ those are pretty ugly but the top one makes the bottom one look better

Last edited by bitkahuna; 06-22-11 at 05:31 AM.
Old 06-22-11, 05:30 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Let's also see what you think, Paul. Though I often do reviews by special-request, I post them for everyone on CAR CHAT.
mitsubishis are fine, but just never seem to have anything that makes me really want one. except the original eclipse when it came out
Old 06-22-11, 05:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
Wow, Mike, looks like this could very well be a shoe in for what we are looking for. Everything, from the price to the fuel economy, seems right.
The 2.4L four, of course, doesn't have the power of the 3.6L V6 in the Dodge Journey that you considered, but its mileage will be better, especially with the 2WD/AWD selector-switch. The battery, another concern you had, is more accessable, though it still may require the removal of some duct-work above it. And, if you are going to keep it a long time, it's hard to beat Mitsubishi, Hyundai, and Kia warranties.

The Outlander Sport, of course, is even less-expensive, but the engine is pretty small, and it may not have as much room inside as you are looking for...but still might be worth a look.

Quick Reply: MM Review: 2011 Mitsubishi Outlander