Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What was the MOST UNRELIABLE auto you ever owned!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-16, 01:12 PM
satnav
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I would have to say a 2005 Audi A6. I traded it for 2010 RX just shy of 100,000 miles and it even had Audi CPO or whatever warranty left. Awesome driving car, great tech, but too many problems, expensive service, and crappy customer service. electronics night mare. Crashing, MMI, broken headlights, leaking seals, trunk that randomly open, list goes on. Love Audi's but will never buy one again unless it s a company car something and i only have to drive it.

2010 RX never had a check engine light turn on or any non scheduled maintenance not even joking here for 80k miles. Traded it 2 months ago for 2016 RX.
Old 08-24-16, 12:25 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

our 04 Acura TSX
within the 7 year extended warranty:
drivers side door lock actuator
A/C died - entire system was replaced *whew*

outside of warranty:
passenger headlight leaked which caused the ballast to short out - bought 3rd party replacement headlight, used ballast
drivers rear rotor literally shattered one day driving, no idea why, bad casting?
common issue with leaking power steering rack. Bought refurbished steering rack and fixed ourselves (PITA)
power steering pump is leaking but very slowly, just keeping and eye on fluid and not fixing
Old 08-24-16, 04:21 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
our 04 Acura TSX
within the 7 year extended warranty:
drivers side door lock actuator
A/C died - entire system was replaced *whew*

outside of warranty:
passenger headlight leaked which caused the ballast to short out - bought 3rd party replacement headlight, used ballast
drivers rear rotor literally shattered one day driving, no idea why, bad casting?
common issue with leaking power steering rack. Bought refurbished steering rack and fixed ourselves (PITA)
power steering pump is leaking but very slowly, just keeping and eye on fluid and not fixing
That's not TOO bad for a 12-13 year old car. Sister's Acura RSX had the a/c compressor sieze up as well, read that it was a common problem. Also the driver's side power door lock quit working, you had to use the key to lock/unlock the car, never did fix that. Other than that, she sold that car with 150k on it, still ran and drove like a brand new car. I couldn't believe how tight the steering and suspension was on that thing, best handling FWD car I've ever driven. Tradeoff was that it rode lousy, I mean really bad.
Old 09-13-16, 01:09 PM
Quadprop
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it was a ford i should have left it on the road where i found her... Found On Road Dead.

bronco II it was more like a lame donkey
Old 09-13-16, 05:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadprop
it was a ford i should have left it on the road where i found her... Found On Road Dead.
How old was the Ford you're talking about? That phrase is a little out of date. Like Fix or Repair Daily and First on Race Day, it goes back to my own days in high school.....almost 50 years ago.

BTW, from what I've seen over the years, almost nothing Ford sold in America during the last several decades (except maybe for the German-designed Merkurs) was as totally Crap-Ola unreliable as a lot of the stuff we got from GM and Chrysler from the late 70s through the late 1980s. There are many examples, but among the worst was GM's X-body cars, Chyslers Omni/Horizon and K-cars, Cadillac's multi-displacement V8/6/4, and GM's awful 5.7L Diesel V8.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-13-16 at 05:57 PM.
Old 10-02-16, 10:18 AM
Vicqlo
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

lol..A brand new 2002 piece of junk Chrysler Sebring. lol.. I should have known better than to purchase it. Absolute CRAP!!
Old 10-05-16, 07:48 AM
JoeSuff
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1992 Chevy Corsica. Every power switch and motor must have been replaced 3 times plus I don't remember how many other thing went on it. What I do remember was the Chevy aftermarket warranty was the best damn warranty I ever had for 5yr/100K mile. I'd just wait for two or three things to break and then pay $50 and have everything fixed.
Old 10-06-16, 12:36 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JoeSuff
1992 Chevy Corsica. Every power switch and motor must have been replaced 3 times plus I don't remember how many other thing went on it. What I do remember was the Chevy aftermarket warranty was the best damn warranty I ever had for 5yr/100K mile. I'd just wait for two or three things to break and then pay $50 and have everything fixed.

Did the paint fall off it??? Seems like all of those had that issue back in the day, even when the cars were maybe 3-4 years old in some cases.
Old 10-10-16, 01:20 PM
GhostCar
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

1994 Chevy 1-ton with the 6.5 liter turbo diesel. Biggest POS in the history of ever. Truly surprised the thing didn't just randomly flip upside down and catch itself on fire while sitting in the driveway. Everything broke, Turbo, AC, lift pump, starter, dash lights, radio, wipers....plus the diesel engine was replaced under some kind of goodwill warranty after only 60k miles.
Old 10-11-16, 11:35 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GhostCar
1994 Chevy 1-ton with the 6.5 liter turbo diesel. Biggest POS in the history of ever. Truly surprised the thing didn't just randomly flip upside down and catch itself on fire while sitting in the driveway. Everything broke, Turbo, AC, lift pump, starter, dash lights, radio, wipers....plus the diesel engine was replaced under some kind of goodwill warranty after only 60k miles.

Agreed on all counts, my cousin had one of these, totally unreliable and expensive to fix junk. Not to mention it didn't like to start in the winter, loud, and was completely gutless compared to a 350 or 454 gas motor from that vintage. Ford and Dodge actually did make some good, reliable, and powerful diesels at that time with the 5.9 Cummins and 7.3 Powerstroke V8, which made Chevy's diesel option seem like even more of a sad joke. Chevy finally did get it right with the Duramax, introduced in 2001 or 2002, combined with a medium duty truck Allison automatic transmission.
Old 10-12-16, 12:20 PM
Radio88
Pole Position

Back in 2001 when I bought my most reliable 2001 Tacoma which still to this day has never failed me, about the same time a work mate bought himself a 2001 Dodge Dakota v6. Within the first 2 years, the engine, trans, even the rear end all went out and got replaced. I remember how he absolutely hated my truck too. I don't blame him-I'd be mad as hell too.
In 1995 another guy at work bought a beautiful full size Ram truck with that Cummins diesel in it. That motor had to be replaced when his truck was only 4 years old!
He still owns that truck but barely drives it.
Old 10-12-16, 02:13 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Radio88
Back in 2001 when I bought my most reliable 2001 Tacoma which still to this day has never failed me, about the same time a work mate bought himself a 2001 Dodge Dakota v6. Within the first 2 years, the engine, trans, even the rear end all went out and got replaced. I remember how he absolutely hated my truck too. I don't blame him-I'd be mad as hell too.
In 1995 another guy at work bought a beautiful full size Ram truck with that Cummins diesel in it. That motor had to be replaced when his truck was only 4 years old!
He still owns that truck but barely drives it.
That's kind of a fluke that he'd have engine failure on the 5.9 Cummins that early in its life. You'll see those Dodges with the Cummins in them with 300k, 400k, 500k miles on them, engine never cracked open. That engine is basically a medium duty truck engine, something you'd find under the hood of a school bus, a roll back wrecker, a BIG Penske box truck, your telephone company's boom truck, etc IE the motor is designed to last, the rest of the Dodge truck kind of falls apart around the engine, at least that's been my experience with people who have owned them.
Old 10-12-16, 02:44 PM
Radio88
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Aron9000
That's kind of a fluke that he'd have engine failure on the 5.9 Cummins that early in its life. You'll see those Dodges with the Cummins in them with 300k, 400k, 500k miles on them, engine never cracked open. That engine is basically a medium duty truck engine, something you'd find under the hood of a school bus, a roll back wrecker, a BIG Penske box truck, your telephone company's boom truck, etc IE the motor is designed to last, the rest of the Dodge truck kind of falls apart around the engine, at least that's been my experience with people who have owned them.
+1. I am with you on that. By the way I forgot to say that the guy with the 2001 Dakota still has that one too. Both trucks have been, to my knowledge, fine ever since. But those two were feeling the burn back then. The Dakota guy was about to start a lemon law thing with Dodge.
Old 10-12-16, 02:58 PM
ImportISF
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Probably a tie between my old 335i & C63. The 335i had a little more issues, major & minor. The C63 had a little bit less issues but the repair bill was way bigger, both are sold now for a ISF
Old 10-13-16, 05:48 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Mine was a 2011 ML350 bought new. Electrical, steering, build quality (knocks and rattles) but the main issue was the transmission. Took 15 months for MBUSA to agree to buy it back.

Quick Reply: What was the MOST UNRELIABLE auto you ever owned!