Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

No more conventional spare tires on new cars.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-11, 12:09 AM
Kostamojen
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
What surprises me is that run flat tires didn't become as popular as they should be. They are pricy, but they eliminate the need for spare tire, but even more importantly they eliminate the hazards associated with blown out tires and trying to replace a blown tire on the shoulder of a highway.
Run flats are generally too pricey and compromise too much on performance.
Originally Posted by Och
What is the proper way to check for tire pressure - is it with the wheel jacked up or with the car resting on the wheel? Does the weight of the car affect measured tire pressure?
Check with the tire on the ground and preferably cold.

Hot tires (IE that have been driven on) increase the tire pressure, so if you lower the pressure when hot you are actually lowering it below specifications.

In general practice though, its always better to have high pressure than low. Pressure constantly goes down over time, so if you don't constantly maintain it, it will drop below specifications.

Also, if you have aftermarket wheels/tires, the factory pressures might not be ideal anymore.

Last edited by Kostamojen; 06-21-11 at 12:17 AM.
Old 06-21-11, 04:30 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Kostamojen
Run flats are generally too pricey and compromise too much on performance.
I have run flat on one of my cars, they've been great so far, no complaints about performance. As far as price goes, I think its a small price to pay for the added safety and peace of mind. About 8 years ago I had a tire blow out on the highway while doing 85-90mph and passing an 18 wheeler - the tire literally blew up and shred to bits. It was ridiculously scary, and luckily I was able not to lose control of the car and bring it to a safe stop. If I lost control, I probably wouldn't be posting right now. I believe such blow outs can only happen with conventional tires, while run flats are virtually blow out proof due to all the reinforcement.
Old 06-21-11, 10:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT

And it's a bit challenging to carry around a spare on the motorcycle.
With only two tires on a bike, though, as opposed to four on a car, you effectively divide your actual chances of having tire-trouble in half, so there is only half the NEED for a spare.
Old 06-22-11, 06:39 AM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
With only two tires on a bike, though, as opposed to four on a car, you effectively divide your actual chances of having tire-trouble in half, so there is only half the NEED for a spare.
On the bike I could care less about a spare. Front and back are different anyway... but my main concern is not crashing if/when a blowout happens!

I just saw this article posted on Yahoo news regarding the lack of spare tires on cars:

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/the-miss...g-drivers.html

Knowing how to change a flat tire may not save you from a big bill for roadside assistance these days.

Spare tires are no longer standard equipment on many new cars, according to an article in today’s Los Angeles Times, as manufacturers look for ways to cut costs and boost fuel efficiency. Data from Edmunds.com indicates that 38% fewer cars have full-size spares than did five years ago, and most of those that still do are trucks and large SUVs.

Instead, many manufacturers are offering flat-fixing kits or subbing in so-called run-flat tires, which are reinforced in a way that allows you to continue driving on them for short distances, hopefully long enough to make it to a mechanic. If your car does come with a spare, it’s probably a temporary donut. None of those options is a great solution for drivers in trouble, says the LA Times, especially if the tire damage amounts to more than a minor puncture.

“When you purchase a vehicle, it’s important to be aware of this trend,” says Christie Hyde, a spokeswoman for AAA, which saw a 10% drop in the number of flat-tire assistance calls last year. Dealerships and private owners aren’t necessarily going to tell you there’s no spare, and it’s important to have a back-up plan of some kind to avoid roadside panic hunting for a nonexistent spare and the average fee of $76 (per national database towPartners) for a five-mile tow.

Manufacturers often include free roadside assistance, and it’s occasionally a free perk of carrying a high-end credit cards. AAA Basic, which costs $58 per year, offers up to four three-mile tows free of charge. If you’re covered by either, protection may be as simple as having the right toll-free number saved into the contacts on your phone. Free phone apps like towSearch also help drivers find towing companies near them – and may offer a 10% discount.

The no-spare trend could also lead to higher costs when you buy replacement tires, Hyde says. The more durable run-flat tires can cost $50 extra apiece — or more — adding substantially to your bill.
Old 06-22-11, 12:08 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Myself and my brother have never had a flat, nail in tire and it sagged but other then that never, my father had a 94 camry in 94 that he wore the tires down through the steel belt and then had to put a spare on

Other then that, I would rather trash my aluminum rim and drive to safety then become a target on the side of the road a rim and a tire is cheap
Old 06-22-11, 12:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MadMax96
On the bike I could care less about a spare. Front and back are different anyway... but my main concern is not crashing if/when a blowout happens!
Absolutely. A blowout on a bike, particularly at cruise-speeds, can be bad news. But tires can, and do, fail or go flat in many other ways that that. You can pick up a nail or other sharp object off the road almost anywhere, which leads to a slow but steady air leak. Valve stems can also go bad and have the same effect.
Old 06-22-11, 01:42 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

I personally wouldn't try to change a spare tire unless I had a heavy duty jack in the car with me. My factory jack on my SC300 shot out from underneath my car while my friend was working on it. It's warped and twisted now. Apparently it only supports up to 1,500 pounds, but the SC300 weighs 3,600 pounds. The jacks that come with spare tires are worthless most of the time.
Old 06-22-11, 01:56 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I have run flat on one of my cars, they've been great so far, no complaints about performance. As far as price goes, I think its a small price to pay for the added safety and peace of mind. About 8 years ago I had a tire blow out on the highway while doing 85-90mph and passing an 18 wheeler - the tire literally blew up and shred to bits. It was ridiculously scary, and luckily I was able not to lose control of the car and bring it to a safe stop. If I lost control, I probably wouldn't be posting right now. I believe such blow outs can only happen with conventional tires, while run flats are virtually blow out proof due to all the reinforcement.

I was driving a RollsRoyce Phantom & the TPMS light came on as soon as I got on the freeway. The owner said ignore the light cause we are in a hurry & the light goes on & off often. Car drove OK so I got up to 70mph & BOOM, hole in inside sidewall LR Michelin run-flat. After inspecting tire I drove car @ 40mph for 3 miles to the RR dealer where they had a loaner waiting for us.
Tires cannot support the load/weight of a vehicle without the proper air pressure!
Old 06-23-11, 09:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
[/B]

Tires cannot support the load/weight of a vehicle without the proper air pressure!
Run-flat tires, by definition, must be able to support the car for at least 50 miles at 50 MPH. Otherwise, they cannot legally have that designation. It is unclear, though, whether that 50-mile support is with a light-load or the vehicle loaded to its full recommended-payload.
Old 06-23-11, 09:56 AM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Definitely a bad idea, I like having a spare regardless of trying to save weight for better gas mileage. You just never know what can happen.
Old 06-23-11, 10:11 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I run a small automotive repair shop, I can shed a little insight on this.

1. 99% of the time, spare tires are only used by people to neglect (or are oblivious) to BUY NEW TIRES when needed, and let the tire wear until it disintegrates.

2. 80% of the cars I service have spare tires with 0psi in them. (Yes, I check every one and fill them.)

3. Of MUCH more use than a spare tire would be a kit with a small compressor and a tire plug kit. In all my cars I have the kit and I use it several times a year while never having to install a spare tire in over 10 years. Blowouts are rare unless you are the type of person described in #1.

So no, I don't think spare tires are necessary. It's dead weight for a situation that likely will never happen. Exceptions are long distance drivers, country roads, poor roads, desolate areas, etc.

I personally have full size spares in both my cars, along with compressors and tire plug kits. If the cars didn't come with full spares, I wouldn't miss 'em.

My MINI Cooper S didn't have a spare (no space) and I didn't lose any sleep over it when I ditched the run flats. My mother has an SC430 in the same situation and no one is really worried about it, either.
Old 06-23-11, 05:06 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X
I personally wouldn't try to change a spare tire unless I had a heavy duty jack in the car with me. My factory jack on my SC300 shot out from underneath my car while my friend was working on it. It's warped and twisted now. Apparently it only supports up to 1,500 pounds, but the SC300 weighs 3,600 pounds. The jacks that come with spare tires are worthless most of the time.
You're not trying to lift the entire car with the jack, only the corner so it doesn't need to be rated for 2 tons.