Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Trade Infiniti G35x for Acura TSX/Lexus CT

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-11, 03:31 PM
roushracin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trade Infiniti G35x for Acura TSX/Lexus CT

My wife and I bought an '08 Infiniti G35x with every option and what we owe on it is what KBB says it's worth so I'm not worried about being upside if we trade it. The reason I'm thinking of selling it is because of the horrible gas mileage! I mean, neither of us have a heavy foot and we can't seem to get better then 19mpg! We already own an '09 Acura MDX and it's getting about 21mpg. I don't want to have 2 cars that are around 20mpg so I'm looking to trading the Infiniti in. I've narrowed my choices to either the Acura TSX or the new Lexus CT. The only problem is my wife isn't sold on the looks of the CT but she gave me the go-ahead to purchase what I wanted. I've bought 4 other Acura's from my local dealer and they have some 2010s left over so I know I could get a great deal there. The CT, however is new and I don't think I will get less then sticker for it.

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-15-11, 03:32 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Have you considered the IS250.. real good gas mileage there as well
Old 06-15-11, 04:03 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

very different cars.. CT200h will be slower, but will also get probably 15 mpg better than TSX :-)
Old 06-15-11, 04:14 PM
seanlee
Driver

Acura TSX would be my choice. it is probably one of the best looking car in their line up.

aside from that, the CT is way to slow. if you drive on high way often, you need the passing power and pick up speed. it is 7.5 second (assuming it is the I4 version) vs 10.3 second. the difference is VERY significant. However, CT 200h is a great choice for folks lives in the city.

that and also CT 200h is in high demand now, you be lucky to get one at sticker price, where you can get awesome deal at Acura. yes Acura is not at the same tier as Lexus, but there is nothing Lexus offers better than Acura at 30k~40k level.

at the end of the day, similar equipped CT will cost few thousands more than Acura. yes it is 60% better in mpg, but the extra money can buy you hundred to thousand of gallon of gas.
Old 06-15-11, 11:14 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

I would go with the CT200h. I didn't know TSX's got good gas mileage though.

It depends on how much money you want to spend. I hear CT's are pretty hard to find and I'm sure they'll mark the price up. The Acura might be cheaper though.
Old 06-16-11, 08:28 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why not cross shop the TSX with the IS? As mentioned above the 250 is quite frugal on gas, better performance than the CT, and maybe less polarizing to the misses. But between your two choices, I'd go with the TSX, especially if you're coming from a G car.
Old 06-16-11, 08:32 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 582 Likes on 401 Posts

TSX's backseat is far more functional than the IS's
Old 06-16-11, 09:06 AM
madmax2k1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you're trading cars to save on gas, you better go for a hybrid for the best bang for your buck. The TSX is not going to give you better than 23-24 mpg if you do a lot of city driving.

Forget the luxury brands and go for a fully loaded Prius IV or Ford Fusion Hybrid.
Old 06-16-11, 09:08 AM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

It would be a bit harder to get the CT right now, but if you or your wife do not mind the lack of power, it does make for a nice city car. Gas mileage, of course, being the biggest factor for this vehicle. With the TSX, you won't get as good gas mileage, but power will be there and, as others have mentioned, it does have a roomier back seat. My pick would be the CT. But definitely get a chance to test drive both before buying one. I think that alone will give you and your wife a better feel for which is right for the two of you. Best of luck!
Old 06-16-11, 09:18 AM
Iqraam
Pole Position

As a 2011 Acura TSX owner, I am getting about average 26mpg highway/city driving on my 4cyl TSX. The interior is quite nice, might I even say better then the IS250. The ride is quiet and car is a great daily driver. I have the model w/o navigation, however, the advancement of technology these new Acuras have are awesome.
Old 06-16-11, 10:03 AM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by roushracin
My wife and I bought an '08 Infiniti G35x with every option and what we owe on it is what KBB says it's worth so I'm not worried about being upside if we trade it. The reason I'm thinking of selling it is because of the horrible gas mileage! I mean, neither of us have a heavy foot and we can't seem to get better then 19mpg! We already own an '09 Acura MDX and it's getting about 21mpg. I don't want to have 2 cars that are around 20mpg so I'm looking to trading the Infiniti in. I've narrowed my choices to either the Acura TSX or the new Lexus CT. The only problem is my wife isn't sold on the looks of the CT but she gave me the go-ahead to purchase what I wanted. I've bought 4 other Acura's from my local dealer and they have some 2010s left over so I know I could get a great deal there. The CT, however is new and I don't think I will get less then sticker for it.

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
what KBB says your car is worth and what a dealer gives you usually is quite a big difference FYI
Old 06-16-11, 10:55 AM
LexFather

You won't be able to find a CT to buy and you will pay MSRP right now until supply gets better. I'd skip the TSX and just buy a 4 cylinder USDM Accord.

They are different cars but the CT offers 42 MPG average, nearly 20 MPG more than an average TSX.

Originally Posted by Iqraam
, however, the advancement of technology these new Acuras have are awesome.
What technology, cute navigation? This is a myth that Acura marketing uses to the uninformed. Acura's are far behind in technology compared to luxury brands and even Kia, Ford, Hyundai etc. For example the CT is far more advanced with technology than the TSX, its not even close. Acura doesn't have one hybrid which are the most technologically advanced cars on the road.

Old 06-16-11, 11:32 AM
grabber2
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

For gas saving, get a camry/accord hybrid, the TSX isn't that power vs the G35x, my co-worker waited 5 week for her CT and it wasn't the one she prefer, she wants white w/ navi package but she end with a silver base......not a penny off MSRP, Lexus even want to add $750 on top of the MSRP but she was able to pull it out as other dealer have exact car without the extra $750

Get a IS250AWD, same some gas, good power, AWD!!! The CT is not an inch bigger then the IS
Old 06-16-11, 04:09 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by AutoUnion
Between the 2, I'd get the TSX as much as I hate Acura. It will be poorer built than the Infiniti and be dirt slow, but not as slow as the CT. The TSX is spacious and since there are leftovers, the dealers will be super desperate to sell them
G35s have pretty bad cheap interiors that don't hold up well as well as other issues, don't know where you get a TSX would be poorer built then the G35. I loved the G35 coupe and highly considered buying one but the cheap interior and reported issues with them kept me from getting one. TSXs are known for being very well built and reliable. G35 will be a good deal quicker then a 4 cyl TSX at the expense of a rough engine, felt engine vibrations, and poor fuel economy.
Old 06-16-11, 04:13 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by grabber2
Get a IS250AWD, same some gas, good power, AWD!!! The CT is not an inch bigger then the IS
so he wants to get better mpg car, and you are suggesting one that gets 20mpg less in real life than CT200h

yeah.

Quick Reply: Trade Infiniti G35x for Acura TSX/Lexus CT