Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Are you the new Toyota Yaris? (Facelift pics Page 24)

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-11, 07:40 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
The problem with making the Yaris or the Corolla super fuel efficient is that it might compete with the Prius. If you have the Yaris and Corolla both at around like 45mpg, drives better, handles better, cheaper and faster, people might give up the slight fuel advantage and not get a Prius. Once the next gen Prius comes out, I think there will be an improvement in powertrain and mileage in the smaller cars.
not at all... problem with them being more efficient in the US, is the price of that efficiency.

Pure $$$$$$$.

In any case, you can check fueleconomy.gov to see real life mpg of drivers and notice that both Yaris and Corolla are if not top, very close to the top of their class, while "40 MPG" Elantra for instance, manages to get less mpg than Corolla.

Prius on the other hand, is built for efficiency, so there is no way Corolla can do better than it.
Old 08-11-11, 09:58 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
The problem with making the Yaris or the Corolla super fuel efficient is that it might compete with the Prius. If you have the Yaris and Corolla both at around like 45mpg, drives better, handles better, cheaper and faster, people might give up the slight fuel advantage and not get a Prius. Once the next gen Prius comes out, I think there will be an improvement in powertrain and mileage in the smaller cars.
Originally Posted by spwolf
not at all... problem with them being more efficient in the US, is the price of that efficiency.

Pure $$$$$$$.

In any case, you can check fueleconomy.gov to see real life mpg of drivers and notice that both Yaris and Corolla are if not top, very close to the top of their class, while "40 MPG" Elantra for instance, manages to get less mpg than Corolla.

Prius on the other hand, is built for efficiency, so there is no way Corolla can do better than it.
I keep hearing that Americans are very price-sensitive, especially with smaller cars: they expect the smaller the car, the smaller the price, which is very difficult to do. Americans also want larger, more-powerful engines (and are less sensitive to higher fuel consumption). So Toyota has no choice but to offer the older technology, and larger, less efficient engines, to keep the price of the Yaris down.

The problem with the Yaris -- especially the current-generation sedan model -- is possible overlap with the Corolla. When shopping for my Corolla last year, I compared the Corolla with the Yaris sedan. The Corolla offered more (which is expected) but at very little price difference: more room, more features and a larger modern engine that offered just about the same fuel efficiency as the Yaris. If the Yaris were offered in North America with the Corolla engine, Toyota may just forget about selling any because it would simply be a loss-leader for the Corolla. The shopper would get a larger, almost as fuel-efficient car for only a little more money buying a Corolla; AND the dealer would get more profit too.

A more efficient engine and transmission in the Yaris may be attractive, but the higher North American price required to cover the costs of the more modern technology may not be attractive, again in comparison with the Corolla. Toyota is damned if they do and damned if they don't.
Old 08-11-11, 10:27 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Sulu
I keep hearing that Americans are very price-sensitive, especially with smaller cars: they expect the smaller the car, the smaller the price, which is very difficult to do. Americans also want larger, more-powerful engines (and are less sensitive to higher fuel consumption). So Toyota has no choice but to offer the older technology, and larger, less efficient engines, to keep the price of the Yaris down.

The problem with the Yaris -- especially the current-generation sedan model -- is possible overlap with the Corolla. When shopping for my Corolla last year, I compared the Corolla with the Yaris sedan. The Corolla offered more (which is expected) but at very little price difference: more room, more features and a larger modern engine that offered just about the same fuel efficiency as the Yaris. If the Yaris were offered in North America with the Corolla engine, Toyota may just forget about selling any because it would simply be a loss-leader for the Corolla. The shopper would get a larger, almost as fuel-efficient car for only a little more money buying a Corolla; AND the dealer would get more profit too.

A more efficient engine and transmission in the Yaris may be attractive, but the higher North American price required to cover the costs of the more modern technology may not be attractive, again in comparison with the Corolla. Toyota is damned if they do and damned if they don't.
toyota in europe launched their optimal drive in 2008/2009, everything but 1.0 3cly engine had 6 speed - be it manual, automatic, CVT or manumatic.... they added valvematic to many of their engines and start/stop to yaris, auris and other small cars. they also updated their diesel lineup with all the expensive tech from their best diesel engine (electric piezo injectors and higher pressure di)...

... what happened? Crisis hit... Toyota's were priced more than 5 speed VW's, Ford's and Opels and their sales dropped by 30%.

At the end, especially in the times of recession, very few buyers cared about Valvematic and 6 speeds, they went for cheaper cars with >10 year old engines.

So sometimes whats better is relative.
Old 08-13-11, 02:21 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jruhi4
Frankly, I was under the impression that there was an agreement between Mexico and Brazil, but I just double-checked and it's still in the talks and negotiations stage.

On the other hand, it's worth noting that, since I wrote that article, the Mazda plant in Mexico is confirmed as going forward, and there are also reports that the next-gen Honda Fit (Jazz) will be built in Mexico as well (see http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...cho-en-mexico/ )
well in past week, both Honda and Mazda announced new factory in Mexico for small cars (Jazz/Mazda 2).

:-)
Old 08-13-11, 09:10 AM
LexFather

I found the Yaris very exciting, until reading it has a 4 speed auto and the same damn engine? Seriously? Even if it sells well, I am disappointed with those choices.

Old 08-13-11, 10:45 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I found the Yaris very exciting, until reading it has a 4 speed auto and the same damn engine? Seriously? Even if it sells well, I am disappointed with those choices.
indeed... too bad.

as we discussed before, problem is that they import it from Japan and it is expensive.

Otherwise Yaris has high tech engines in Europe, not to mention upcoming Yaris HSD.
Old 08-24-11, 05:43 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BTW, It's been confirmed by numerous sources that Toyota has dropped the Yaris sedan.

Being a sedan owner, I think it's a mistake. I know many who would not go for a hatchback, so that's a lost sale.

Toyota looks like their trying to attract small sedan owners into the Corolla but many people don't want to spend the extra couple of grand and some believe the Corolla is too big.

It's particularly surprising because in a worldwide context, the Yaris sedan (AKA Vios/Belta) sells very well. Toyota will be leaving an important hole in their lineup that's been filled for a long time dating back to the Tercel. Toyota was the one that always offered a sub-compact sedan even when no one else did. Now, there's the Accent, Rio, Fiesta, Sonic, SX4 sedans.

A lot of people will simply go to those brands.

Last edited by -J-P-L-; 08-24-11 at 07:09 PM.
Old 08-25-11, 04:51 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
BTW, It's been confirmed by numerous sources that Toyota has dropped the Yaris sedan.

Being a sedan owner, I think it's a mistake. I know many who would not go for a hatchback, so that's a lost sale.

Toyota looks like their trying to attract small sedan owners into the Corolla but many people don't want to spend the extra couple of grand and some believe the Corolla is too big.

It's particularly surprising because in a worldwide context, the Yaris sedan (AKA Vios/Belta) sells very well. Toyota will be leaving an important hole in their lineup that's been filled for a long time dating back to the Tercel. Toyota was the one that always offered a sub-compact sedan even when no one else did. Now, there's the Accent, Rio, Fiesta, Sonic, SX4 sedans.

again, problem with high yen - i am pretty sure that for them, price of Yaris sedan would be same as price of Corolla made in the USA... just because Yen went up so much.

Toyota is also in no way kidding themselves with the possible sales - they set the goal of 2k/month, same as current model and much less than competition.
Old 08-25-11, 05:26 AM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Keep in mind that the sedan version of the new 3rd-gen Yaris hasn't been revealed yet anywhere in the world. Once it is, perhaps it will return to North America as a 2013 model, to battle all those entry-level sedans you mention above. Or maybe Toyota will just borrow from the Honda and Mazda playbook and adopt a hatchback-only North American strategy for the B-segment.
Old 08-25-11, 06:15 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jruhi4
Keep in mind that the sedan version of the new 3rd-gen Yaris hasn't been revealed yet anywhere in the world. Once it is, perhaps it will return to North America as a 2013 model, to battle all those entry-level sedans you mention above. Or maybe Toyota will just borrow from the Honda and Mazda playbook and adopt a hatchback-only North American strategy for the B-segment.
I've been waiting almost a year for the sedan since the hatch surfaced last October. I was thinking it would eventually come, around now with the new Camry. It is now confirmed though, that Toyota will not be building a sub-compact sedan at all, not even for foreign markets. This is crazy considering they built them when they were unpopular, and now when sub-compacts are at their height of popularity, they're pulling the plug.

I don't know about anyone else, but I see at least 2 Yaris sedans for every one hatch I see.
Old 08-25-11, 06:45 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

I've been waiting almost a year for the sedan since the hatch surfaced last October. I was thinking it would eventually come, around now with the new Camry. It is now confirmed though, that Toyota will not be building a sub-compact sedan at all, not even for foreign markets. This is crazy considering they built them when they were unpopular, and now when sub-compacts are at their height of popularity, they're pulling the plug.

I don't know about anyone else, but I see at least 2 Yaris sedans for every one hatch I see.
it has certainly not been confirmed :-). Of course Toyota will build Yaris based sedan for wolrd markets - Corolla and Camry are luxury vehicles in most of the world.

Toyota Vios is sold around the world and will be most certainly updated within next 2 years.

I was thinking they might import it from Thailand.
Old 08-25-11, 06:54 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
it has certainly not been confirmed :-). Of course Toyota will build Yaris based sedan for wolrd markets - Corolla and Camry are luxury vehicles in most of the world.

Toyota Vios is sold around the world and will be most certainly updated within next 2 years.

I was thinking they might import it from Thailand.
I hope you're right, but I've read numerous reports of journalists directly asking Toyota about it and they were told that they wanted to focus on the hatch as it was chosen 70% of the time (not from what I see). They said they would no longer be offering a sedan alternative. They said nothing of a delay. Wouldn't make much sense to delay it years when the two cars are based on each other.

The Vios/Belts are very popular worldwide, even as cabs. Would be Toyota's biggest mistake - ever, perhaps.
Old 08-25-11, 08:09 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

I hope you're right, but I've read numerous reports of journalists directly asking Toyota about it and they were told that they wanted to focus on the hatch as it was chosen 70% of the time (not from what I see). They said they would no longer be offering a sedan alternative. They said nothing of a delay. Wouldn't make much sense to delay it years when the two cars are based on each other.

The Vios/Belts are very popular worldwide, even as cabs. Would be Toyota's biggest mistake - ever, perhaps.
you have to realize they were answering for USDM only... and thats probably just because there is no sedan, now :-).

Vios was just updated for 2012MY a month ago, it is not going anywhere, they sell tons of them in Asian countries where Toyota has 40% market share (except for China).
Old 08-25-11, 08:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I found the Yaris very exciting, until reading it has a 4 speed auto and the same damn engine?
That's one way they keep the price down...use simple drivetrain components.

Tt's true that the new Hyundai Accent (roughly in the same class/price-range) uses a 6-speed auto, but Hyundai traditionally has lower production costs then Toyota. Ford, though, found a way to use a twin-clutch 6-speed automanual in the Fiesta.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-25-11 at 08:41 AM.
Old 08-25-11, 09:57 AM
LexFather

Maybe they plan to have a base model Corolla next gen to attract the old Yaris sedan owners?

Quick Reply: Are you the new Toyota Yaris? (Facelift pics Page 24)