Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Went to a local car show today..

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-11, 03:37 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Went to a local car show today..

And while not much notable caught my eye (there were the usual ricers, and "drift cars"), a few did turn my head. The biggest head turner (for me at least) was this:

I learned a little from the owner... there are only a few hundred nice examples left in existance, Its probably cheaper to own a Yacht. If you buy one to daily drive, like he does his, make sure you swap the original motor out for a more reliable Chevy 350. He did not, and has had no issues, but he knows plenty who have. Parts are hard to get, so dont expect good prices on those. OH, and one of the weirdest things I have ever seen on a car...they are not painted. Thats right, the steel/aluminum is brushed, and then clearcoated. There is no primer/basecoat on the car anywhere except the front and rear bumpers. Those are painted gray to match the car as closely as possible.

Next:

^1951 Chevy Pickup w/ a 454 Big Block.

And a custom of some kind, could not find the owner, so I have no details. Looks like a Mid 30's vintage Ford Split Window Coupe. Rare to say the least.

^not sure what this guy was thinking, but the Red that this car was before would have looked better...

^A NICE example of a Matte finish STi. First STi I have seen done this way, I was impressed.

^Nissan 240. Nice car, guy claimed it had the Powertrain from an R33 GTR. I am not an expert on nissan's by any means, but I would venture to say if it did, he would not be at a local Fort Lewis Car show...with all of about 20-25 participants. Just sayin. Looks like your typical Nissan 240 motor, just dressed up a little bit and turbo'd. But for all I know about Nissan's, they guy could have been stating fact.

And this guy, well:

^not sure what he was doing at the show, but...to each his own.
Old 06-12-11, 04:20 PM
metalgear
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That STI's nice. Lol at that truck, he took 2 parking spots.
Old 06-12-11, 05:03 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Lol that's definitely not no R33 motor..... not a chance its an RB... just a regular SR
Old 06-12-11, 05:09 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Nice pics...
Old 06-12-11, 06:01 PM
sc-driver
Lexus Test Driver

Called it from the very first pic!

But I was under the impression that it was unpainted Stainless Steel Body.
Old 06-12-11, 06:05 PM
twoloose
Driver

Sweet rods!!!
Old 06-12-11, 06:44 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

In regards to the DeLorean, it is an unpainted SS Body, but this one had a clearcoat on it. It was wicked. I didnt know that about them though, I thought they were just painted gray.
Old 06-12-11, 07:52 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
In regards to the DeLorean, it is an unpainted SS Body, but this one had a clearcoat on it. It was wicked. I didnt know that about them though, I thought they were just painted gray.
lol,,,it was Delorean's saying that "you could have the car in ANY color that you wanted,,as long as it was Stainless Steel." Yes they are EXTREMELY hard to maintain, due to limited lifespan on the market, and MOST surviving examples are brandised by the "Back to the Future" look. Nice to see an owner who resisted doing this to that car and actually enjoys DRIVING the car.

Last edited by trukn1; 06-13-11 at 11:24 PM.
Old 06-12-11, 08:06 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

wow never seen the insides of a delorean before.. nice pics
Old 06-12-11, 08:07 PM
metalgear
Lexus Champion

Just noticed the Delorean has the e-brake on the left side of the driver seat? Must be hard to get in and out of that.
Old 06-12-11, 08:42 PM
tran_man
Driver School Candidate

The Fiero also had the e-brake by the driver's door but it was always down, whether or not it was engaged. Weird.
Old 06-12-11, 08:47 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Originally Posted by trukn1
it was Delorean's saying that "you could have the car in ANY color that you wanted,,as long as it was Stainless Steel."
Too young, thank God. Great thing about being born in 1985, I have never seen a DeLorean Ad campaign.
Old 06-12-11, 08:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I learned a little from the owner... there are only a few hundred nice examples left in existance, Its probably cheaper to own a Yacht. If you buy one to daily drive, like he does his, make sure you swap the original motor out for a more reliable Chevy 350. He did not, and has had no issues, but he knows plenty who have. Parts are hard to get, so dont expect good prices on those. OH, and one of the weirdest things I have ever seen on a car...they are not painted. Thats right, the steel/aluminum is brushed, and then clearcoated. There is no primer/basecoat on the car anywhere except the front and rear bumpers. Those are painted gray to match the car as closely as possible.
The stainless-steel finish on DeLorean's sports cars was intentional, Josh.....the whole factory-run was done that way. John Delorean left GM in the 1970's to set up his own company in Northern Ireland building these unique gull-winged sports/touring cars. The cars were plagued from Day One, though, with quality problems, especially with the gull-door assemblies. De Lorean's company was not successful, and he was busted for cocaine-trafficing a few years later trying to raise money for the company, but acquitted at a trial. He passed away a couple of years ago.

Too young, thank God. Great thing about being born in 1985, I have never seen a DeLorean Ad campaign.
He never did much of an ad campaign (I remember his company and cars very well). Once he left GM (where he was in both Pontiac and Chevy management and gave us the hugely successful Pontiac GTO), he lost his access to GM's then-big gravy-train. After that, though not poor by any means, he simply didn't have the money and resources for a big Detroit-style ad-campaign. What publicity he did get for his new company came mostly fom auto mags and the auto press (at that time, I used to read Road & Track and Car and Driver religiously each month....I still have my R&T subscription).

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-12-11 at 08:58 PM.
Old 06-12-11, 08:59 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The stainless-steel finish on DeLorean's sports cars was intentional, Josh.....the whole factory-run was done that way. John Delorean left GM in the 1970's to set up his own company in Northern Ireland building these unique gull-winged sports/touring cars. The cars were plagued from Day One, though, with quality problems, especially with the gull-door assemblies. De Lorean's company was not successful, and he was busted for cocaine-trafficing a few years later trying to raise money for the company, but acquitted at a trial. He passed away a couple of years ago.

He never did much of an ad campaign (I remember his company and cars very well). Once he left GM (where he was in both Pontiac and Chevy management and gave us the hugely successful Pontiac GTO), he lost his access to GM's then-big gravy-train. He simply didn't have the money and resources for a big Detroit-style ad-campaign. What publicity he did get for his new company came mostly fom auto mags and the auto press (I used to read Road & Track and Car and Driver religiously each month).
I was aware, after some research, that it was intentional. I just never knew it. I had seen pix before and always thought they were just painted metallic gray.

Busted for cocaine trafficking huh? Talk about a piece of automotive history. So...Former GM employee turned CEO, then busted for cocaine...Can anyone hear it? "Like a [crack] Rock"
Old 06-12-11, 09:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I was aware, after some research, that it was intentional. I just never knew it. I had seen pix before and always thought they were just painted metallic gray.
Yes...the stainless steel looked nice, but was, in some ways, a PITA to take care of. And that was before protective-clearcoats were the norm in the industry...they were just starting to come into use.

Busted for cocaine trafficking huh? Talk about a piece of automotive history. So...Former GM employee turned CEO, then busted for cocaine...Can anyone hear it? "Like a [crack] Rock"
Yes, his company lost more and more money, and, in the end, he turned to some highly questionable means to support it. The Feds caught him with a suitcase full of illegal drugs (I still remember the big news story that evening...that was in the days before the Internet 24-hour news). He successfully fought the charges, though, claiming entrapment, and was acquitted. His company, though, folded.

I go to one or two local antique-car shows here each year where a DMC-12 (Delorean Motor Corporation) shows up now and then. It inevitably draws comments and snickers about being a "cocaine special".

Here's some shots of DeLorean himself with the car.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-12-11 at 09:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Went to a local car show today..