Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Got the HID's in the Ram...man what a difference!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-11, 07:27 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Got the HID's in the Ram...man what a difference!

I can confidently say, that after having 2 cars with HID's that I have put in myself, I will NEVER go back to halogen, and every car I ever own from now on, old or new will have an HID kit. The difference is staggering:

The kit is from XenonDepot, 35w 6000k Bi Xenon.
Old 06-02-11, 07:53 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow...

I'd hate to be the guy in front of you....
Old 06-02-11, 08:20 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can blind everyone now.
Old 06-02-11, 09:24 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I have owned cars with and without, driving at night isn't much different for me.
Old 06-02-11, 09:30 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

umm... you do have projectors right? and their aimed at the ground right?
Old 06-03-11, 12:07 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ahhh i freicken hate trucks with HID, blind the crap out of you from behind =/
Old 06-03-11, 12:24 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
Ahhh i freicken hate trucks with HID, blind the crap out of you from behind =/
Exactly......

OP: I hope you have those aimed down. It's such a pain when you're driving along and some truck drivers lights are BEAMING inside your car.
Old 06-03-11, 12:59 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

yes, they are aimed at the ground. This is me you guys are talking to, I am not retarded. I hate that crap too.

The factory HID's use the same housings as mine without projectors, so no, I do not have projectors. The ones that come factory on the higher model trucks are actually 55w, not 35w, so they are brighter. Projectors are not nessecary, Cutoff is almost perfect, to the point where projectors would be a waste. My camera just sucks. It looks like alot of glare but its not. I had my wife drive down the block about half a mile. I watched her drive to my position head on, in the road. Didnt even have to squint. I followed my buddy home from a restaraunt tonight, and he drives a small car. I asked him if they were too bright and he said they didnt bother him at all. And no, he does not have tinted windows.

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 06-03-11 at 01:05 AM.
Old 06-03-11, 04:50 AM
AMAlex
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to get HID's too, I think that sometimes they actually do make a car look so much better (in most cases). Just waiting on some projectors to retrofit. Oh, and nice job, it looks really nice on the ram.
Old 06-03-11, 08:53 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Very nice, i added hid's to both my es and lx, the lx comes stock with projector headlights and for the es, they are aimed down and the car is already low to the ground as it is, so glare is not much of an issue, i have never been flashed or told my lights were to bright in either car in the year and a half they have been put in
Old 06-03-11, 03:06 PM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

I did the same thing as you, went from halogens to HID kits. I was amazed and thought I could be perfectly happy like that.
I proved myself wrong. I got my headlights retrofitted with HID projectors...and NOW I could be perfectly happy like that.
Old 06-03-11, 05:17 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
yes, they are aimed at the ground. This is me you guys are talking to, I am not retarded. I hate that crap too.

The factory HID's use the same housings as mine without projectors, so no, I do not have projectors. The ones that come factory on the higher model trucks are actually 55w, not 35w, so they are brighter. Projectors are not nessecary, Cutoff is almost perfect, to the point where projectors would be a waste. My camera just sucks. It looks like alot of glare but its not. I had my wife drive down the block about half a mile. I watched her drive to my position head on, in the road. Didnt even have to squint. I followed my buddy home from a restaraunt tonight, and he drives a small car. I asked him if they were too bright and he said they didnt bother him at all. And no, he does not have tinted windows.
Glad to hear your one of the considerate ones
Old 06-03-11, 06:06 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

The OEM HID on the trucks have reflectors, but they're made for HID. Looks similar, but the beam pattern is different.

Even though they're aimed down, it's not a perfect solution, especially in the rain where light is reflected off the ground.

My car came with HID reflectors and I thought that was good. Upgraded to projectors and the difference was staggering
Old 06-03-11, 08:10 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

[QUOTE=ArmyofOne;6436472]
The factory HID's use the same housings as mine without projectors, so no, I do not have projectors. The ones that come factory on the higher model trucks are actually 55w, not 35w, so they are brighter. [/QUOTE

I don't believe the Ram actually has HID as an option from the factory...
Old 06-04-11, 11:09 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Originally Posted by GSteg
The OEM HID on the trucks have reflectors, but they're made for HID. Looks similar, but the beam pattern is different.

Even though they're aimed down, it's not a perfect solution, especially in the rain where light is reflected off the ground.

My car came with HID reflectors and I thought that was good. Upgraded to projectors and the difference was staggering
I have looked at both headlight types up close. Believe me, I did my research, over 6 months worth. Looking at Factory HID's in ram's at meets, etc. In the civic, it wasnt such a big deal because the car sat so low. In the truck, I do not want ANYONE to be hurt, or even killed as a result of my lights. Both lamps are identical in every way that I can see.

Originally Posted by pbm317
Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
The factory HID's use the same housings as mine without projectors, so no, I do not have projectors. The ones that come factory on the higher model trucks are actually 55w, not 35w, so they are brighter.
I don't believe the Ram actually has HID as an option from the factory...
Yes, they do. From 2009 and up, 4300k is now an option on the highest ($48k+) models. Ford and chevy both offer it as well.

This sticker is on the door of my truck (and all Rams I have checked new on the dealer lot when I was being nosy. LOL)

Quick Reply: Got the HID's in the Ram...man what a difference!