Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Motor Trend polls readers to find Top Five Motoring Annoyances

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-11, 03:31 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Motor Trend polls readers to find Top Five Motoring Annoyances

Motor Trend polls readers to find Top Five Motoring Annoyances

Driving shouldn't be a stressful experience. Too often, however, piloting a motor vehicle can turn any driver into a raging psychopath, spewing forth creative expletives that would make even the most hardened construction worker blush. What are the top pain points for motorists? Motor Trend wanted to find out, and the buff book polled its readers to compile a list of the top five sources of irritation on the road:

1. Being stuck behind slow drivers – 43.5%
2. Inattentive drivers texting and talking on cell phones – 23.2%
3. Drivers that do not use turn signals – 16.1%
4. Aggressive drivers cutting through traffic – 10%
5. Drivers who refuse to turn right on red – 7.2%

Those results are pretty clear. Slow drivers are the scourge of our roadways, and we're curious how many of the people in group four are created as a result of being in group one.

WHAT'S AMERICA'S NUMBER ONE DRIVING FRUSTRATION? SLOW DRIVERS

Motor Trend Poll Finds Top Five Sources of Irritation on the Road

El Segundo, Calif. (May 25, 2011) – Despite gas prices garnering the lion's share of news coverage lately, something altogether different is a major source of frustration for the American driver these days. Motor Trend, the world's automotive authority on cars, trucks and SUVs, recently completed a poll to determine the top-five sources of irritation for drivers. Topping the list was being stuck behind slow drivers, with more than forty percent of the respondents in this latest poll citing this as their chief annoyance.

In fact, Motor Trend found almost 90 percent of those polled reacted against the offending driver in some way; with 13 percent reporting that it moves them to varying degrees of frustration and even anger. One participant wrote, "It makes me want to tear their license plates off!"

Motor Trend polled readers nationally via its Wide Open Throttle Blog, and its Facebook and Twitter accounts to gather the data. The poll also clearly indicated many drivers feel there is a general lack of awareness of other drivers, among their counterparts.

Rounding out the top-five list, Motor Trend readers reported in descending order, the most aggravating habits of other motorists as:

1. Being stuck behind slow drivers – 43.5%
2. Inattentive drivers texting and talking on cell phones – 23.2%
3. Drivers that do not use turn signals – 16.1%
4. Aggressive drivers cutting through traffic – 10%

"What we have here is a glimpse of the frustrations experienced by drivers who take driving seriously," said Motor Trend editor-in-chief Angus MacKenzie. "It's clear many drivers are thinking about almost anything other than driving when they are behind the wheel, to the irritation of others on the road. Poor situational awareness and a lack of concentration are probably the real cause of the majority of road crashes today."
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/06/02/m...otoring-annoy/
Old 06-02-11, 03:36 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

sounds about right to me.
Old 06-02-11, 03:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

hahaha #1, i love
Old 06-02-11, 04:00 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

so true

the guys weaving in and out don't bother me. Just let him through and hopefully he'll crash into a ditch.

my other one:

6. they cut IN FRONT OF YOU when there's NO car behind you
Old 06-02-11, 07:57 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The thing about #1 though...

There was a time in my life where I was speeding so much EVERYONE was "slow"

Looking back I realize it was stupid, dangerous, and I'm lucky to be still typing this--but I do feel like there's a certain line that needs to be drawn.

I make the LA > San Diego trip on a weekly basis, and I drive during hours where traffic is sparse (late nights or pre-light dawn), and if someone is barreling down on my tail when I'm doing 80mph, I'm not exactly going "slow"....
Old 06-02-11, 08:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I'm surprised that speed bumps/humps, barricades, DO NOT ENTER signs, unnecessary stop-signs, and unnecessary traffic-lights didn't make more of the top spots on this list.

I can put up with slow drivers (in fact, I'm not that much of a speed-freak myself), non-turn-signal users, aggressive drivers, and even cell-phone users (though cell-phone use and aggressive-driving, of course, is risky). But nothing gets me as angry as those PITA devices put up simply to try to impede and keep traffic out of certain neighborhoods. Civic-groups and associations, who seek those devices, don't own those side-streets....we all pay taxes to support them, and have the priviledge (as driving is not a right) of using those streets unhindered. Yes, parents and local-politicians often worry about kids getting hit as an excuse for these PITA devices. My answer is that, while it is indeed a drivers' responsibility to drive at safe neighborhood speeds and look out for kids, those kids should be taught by their parents or guardians not to play in the street in the first place.....streets are not playgrounds.

I can't agree with this one. How can you expect someone to turn right on a red light when he or she wants to go straight ahead, or even turn left? That is their option.....yould you want someone telling you which way to turn at the next red light, even in the right lane?

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-02-11 at 08:25 PM.
Old 06-02-11, 09:17 PM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Where I live, kids don't even walk on the sidewalks anymore and instead on the streets. Annoys the heck out of me and they seem to enjoy drivers driving around them as if they own the streets. If anything, this extremely annoying cause I don't want to end up hitting them with my car or do I want them hurt.
Old 06-02-11, 09:20 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, plus the concept of lane discipline that some Americans have no concept of.
Old 06-02-11, 09:30 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't signal when Im in GA, living in this state the signal light is just an open invitation for one of the many Georgia drivers who can't drive to suddenly close the gap I was just about to merge into

Slow drivers, I have only come across slow drivers in 2 situations that **** me off, the 1st is driving GA>NY or NY>GA, drivers who sit in either lane, usually left, next to big rigs and maintain the same speed, I was stuck behind someone on a slight grade for 20 minutes doing 55 on a road that was clear and had a speed limit of 70

2nd situation, people who cannot drive through intersections, nothing like watching the light cycle 2-3 times
Old 06-02-11, 10:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by whoster
The thing about #1 though...

There was a time in my life where I was speeding so much EVERYONE was "slow"

Looking back I realize it was stupid, dangerous, and I'm lucky to be still typing this--but I do feel like there's a certain line that needs to be drawn.

I make the LA > San Diego trip on a weekly basis, and I drive during hours where traffic is sparse (late nights or pre-light dawn), and if someone is barreling down on my tail when I'm doing 80mph, I'm not exactly going "slow"....
i think i will add to complete that statement by saying slow in the fast lane blocking traffic. it's ok to drive slow, i don't care, but stay in the slow lanes. if you are in the fast lane, you are in the passing lane. for example when there is little traffic and i am driving 80, i am usually in the 2nd to slowest lane. if i see a car slow up front, i go to next lane to pass and then change back. if i am doing 80 in the fast lane and someone comes up to me at 100 and i don't change lane, i consider myself as ***

this has been discussed sooooo much, i am sure some will disagree
Old 06-02-11, 10:47 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Oh, I make sure to extend my courtesy to people approaching felonious speeds every time.

Old 06-02-11, 10:58 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I can't agree with this one. How can you expect someone to turn right on a red light when he or she wants to go straight ahead, or even turn left? That is their option.....yould you want someone telling you which way to turn at the next red light, even in the right lane?
In Oregon its Illegal to turn right on red. Being from Cali (where is legal), Ive forgotten that from time to time while visiting family
Old 06-03-11, 02:11 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

no my #1 is when the guy in the fast lane and the guy in the slow lane is going same speed side by side on a 2 lane hwy...
Old 06-03-11, 03:36 AM
ColtM4A3
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rominl
i think i will add to complete that statement by saying slow in the fast lane blocking traffic. it's ok to drive slow, i don't care, but stay in the slow lanes. if you are in the fast lane, you are in the passing lane. for example when there is little traffic and i am driving 80, i am usually in the 2nd to slowest lane. if i see a car slow up front, i go to next lane to pass and then change back. if i am doing 80 in the fast lane and someone comes up to me at 100 and i don't change lane, i consider myself as ***

this has been discussed sooooo much, i am sure some will disagree
Sounds spot on to me. If I'm doing 80 I'll gladly let a guy by that's going faster. Better he get the ticket than me.
Old 06-03-11, 04:40 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

MANY WI drivers tend to think the left lane is for leisure and reflection or to ponder what to do when approaching a round-a-bout... other day a guy was going 40mph and would NOT get over, even for trucks...

Top 5 were perfect

Quick Reply: Motor Trend polls readers to find Top Five Motoring Annoyances