Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Motor Trend Comparison: Best-Selling Compact Sedans

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-11, 01:57 PM
Mike05
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor Trend Comparison: Best-Selling Compact Sedans

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...son/index.html

From Autoblog
With a raft of newly redesigned compact sedans hitting the streets this year, Motor Trend decided it was high time to crown a new king among the diminutive four-door masses. The editors gathered eight of the most popular models in the segment and pitted them against each other, battle royale style.

The magazine started by selecting the three best-selling Japanese compact sedans, the Toyota Corolla, Honda Civic and Mazda3, which, combined, accounted for 700,000 sales last year amid fears fostered by a weakened economy. Those were joined by America's two best sellers, the Ford Focus and Chevrolet Cruze. Korea added the Kia Forte and the Hyundai Elantra, and the Volkswagen Jetta TDI from Germany rounded out the list.

MT tried to get the cars as closely matched as possible; all the cars were front-drive, four-cylinder automatics with alloy wheels and stability control, all stickering somewhere in the low-$20,000 range. Still, despite its efforts, there wound up being a fair amount of variance among each of the cars, which helped shape the results of the test.

In the end, the 2011 Hyundai Elantra came out on top, thanks to radical new styling, a raft of standard features and a new found sense of sophistication. The 2012 Honda Civic EX brought up the next spot in the line, followed by the 2011 Mazda3 Touring. The 2011 Volkswagen Jetta TDI snagged fourth, followed by the 2012 Ford Focus Titanium and the 2011 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ RS. The 2011 Kia Forte EX edged out the 2011 Toyota Corolla to take seventh place.
Toyota better step up their game in the next Corolla because coming in last place in an 8-car comparison isn't good.
Old 05-30-11, 02:08 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny how in US they are called compact sedans but in other countries they are large/mid size sedans.
Old 05-30-11, 02:18 PM
LexFather

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Mike05
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...son/index.html

From Autoblog

Toyota better step up their game in the next Corolla because coming in last place in an 8-car comparison isn't good.

Newest cars won comparo. Oldest car Aka the Corolla was last. Not exacly breaking news.

Hopefully the redesign in a couple of years is an improvement and not a crappy redesign like the new Civic.

Old 05-30-11, 02:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Newest cars won comparo. Oldest car Aka the Corolla was last. Not exacly breaking news.
Hopefully the redesign in a couple of years is an improvement and not a crappy redesign like the new Civic.
What you say is true, Mike, but there is more to it than just age. The Corolla is not only several years old, but is also arguably the least-sporty, least-agile, and most conservative car in the bunch. By compact-car standards, it emphasizes quietness, a smooth drivetrain, smooth ride-comfort, reliability, and appliance-like driving manners. Those characteristics, in general, don't appeal to auto-mag pundits who are usually looking for what they call "excitement".

.....Oh, and BTW, the Corolla has one BIG fly in the ointment....something that no one at MT seeemed to pick up on (unless Toyota came up with a fix since I last reviewed the Corolla a couple of years ago). It has some of the s**ttiest, Sponge-O-Matic brakes I've seen in a modern car outside of the last-generation GM trucks/SUVs.

I noticed that you panned the new Civic......MT seemed to like it (especially the chassis), but, IMO, despite the typical Honda Swiss-Watch precision in its assembly-quality, this newest version has an overly-plastic, generally unpleasant interior like the new Jetta.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-30-11 at 02:54 PM.
Old 05-30-11, 02:45 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Congrats Hyundai.Another excellent job. The civic isnt to crappy if they awarded it #2 position. Hyundai is on a roll. They are in it to win it. They are no longer trailing in these comparos
Old 05-30-11, 02:53 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

i found it funny that Jetta handled worse than Corolla LE and had identical time on their course despite it fielding TDI with DSG vs 4AT. And Jetta's brakes were worse too, by 7ft. Must be German engineering showing through.

Also Corolla got better average consumption than 40 MPG!!! Elantra on their test, by 2 MPG.

I am most positively surprised with Civic though, respectable numbers all around and good price, 1.5k less than Elantra and 3.5k less than Jetta and getting 29 MPG average, only 2nd to Jetta and thats only by 3 MPG or 10%.

Also it shows what world we live in when you expect the most from Hyundai.

But i do find the mpg at 25 disappointing vs 29 mpg civic.
Old 05-30-11, 02:54 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
What you say is true, Mike, but there is more to it than just age. The Corolla is not only several years old, but is also arguably the least-sporty, least-agile, and most conservative car in the bunch. By compact-car standards, it emphasizes quietness, a smooth drivetrain, smooth ride-comfort, reliability, and appliance-like driving manners. Those characteristics, in general, don't appeal to auto-mag pundits who are usually looking for what they call "excitement".

.....Oh, and BTW, the Corolla has one BIG fly in the ointment....something that no one at MT seeemed to pick up on (unless Toyota came up with a fix since I last reviewed the Corolla a couple of years ago). It has some of the s**ttiest, Sponge-O-Matic brakes I've seen in a modern car outside of the last-generation GM trucks/SUVs.

I noticed that you panned the new Civic......MT seemed to like it (especially the chassis), but, IMO, despite the typical Honda Swiss-Watch precision in its assembly-quality, this newest version has an overly-plastic, generally unpleasant interior like the new Jetta.
it had 3rd best brakes on the test, and this is LE of course (after Elantra and Civic).

edit: well fifth, i missed focus/cruze.

Last edited by spwolf; 05-30-11 at 02:58 PM.
Old 05-30-11, 02:56 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Man Nissan needs to step it up with their Sentra if they want to reap the benefits of such a hotly contested segment. They haven't been in a comparo in years lol
Old 05-30-11, 02:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

This cheap Hyundai is better inside than some Lexuses," noted Febbo.
If he's talking about the Lexus HS and CT, I would generally agree, but not antirely.
Old 05-30-11, 03:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
it had 3rd best brakes on the test, and this is LE of course (after Elantra and Civic).
That's why I said if Toyota had addressed that Push-and-Pray sponginess that the 2008-2009 Corollas had. I hope they have....though stopping distances don't always correlate exactly with the level of sponginess.

I haven't reviewed the new Elantra, yet (I plan to later this week). But, from what I've seen of it, I agree that, despite what I consider questionable styling, it's well-done.
Old 05-30-11, 03:05 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

If he's talking about the Lexus HS and CT, I would generally agree, but not antirely.
i doubt it has better interior than CT :-).

but there is no doubt there is great value there... for instance, it has rear seat heaters.
Old 05-30-11, 03:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Man Nissan needs to step it up with their Sentra if they want to reap the benefits of such a hotly contested segment. They haven't been in a comparo in years lol
Good point, Hoovey.....the Sentra was clearly missing from this test. So was the Dodge Caliber, Mitsubishi Lancer, and Suzuki Kizashi. Frankly, if those cars had been included, I would not be surprised to the see the Suzuki come in first (ahead of the Elantra) and the Caliber dead last, behind the Corolla.
Old 05-30-11, 03:09 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

well, i can tell you reason why this Corolla still sells - it is the cheapest car there, handles, brakes well, gets good mpg and has good resale value.

it is very aged car when it comes to some things as 4AT, but Toyota has positioned it well with price, you have to pay 3k extra for Elantra and 5.5k for Jetta.
Old 05-30-11, 03:10 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Good point, Hoovey.....the Sentra was clearly missing from this test. So was the Dodge Caliber, Mitsubishi Lancer, and Suzuki Kizashi. Frankly, if those cars had been included, I would not be surprised to the see the Suzuki come in first (ahead of the Elantra) and the Caliber dead last, behind the Corolla.
Kizashi is one class higher car... it is like old Passat, Euro mid sized sedan in size.
Old 05-30-11, 03:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
i doubt it has better interior than CT :-).
By inexpensive compact-car standards, the Elantra's interior is quite nice. The CT, granted, does nave nice leather, but, other than that, IMO, is actually more of a Toyota than a Lexus. I said, in my CT review, that it maybe would have been better-marketed as a Toyota.

Quick Reply: Motor Trend Comparison: Best-Selling Compact Sedans