Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ferrari enters Indian market as of today

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-11, 03:13 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Ferrari enters Indian market as of today

http://www.gtspirit.com/2011/05/26/f...ns-dealership/

Starting from today Ferrari is present in India, the 58th market of the Prancing Horse, as the first dealership in the heart of New Delhi opens its doors. The Grand Opening, dedicated to the local and international medias, was hosted by Ferrari CEO Amedeo Felisa, Ferrari Commercial and Marketing Director Enrico Galliera, and Ashish Chordia, Chairman of the Shreyans Group, the Ferrari importer for the country.
The street facing the New Delhi location was panelled for the occasion with great images of the Ferrari past and present, to tell the story of the passion, the races and the style. The special preview for the medias was held in the over 500 square metres on two levels of the dealership, with the ground floor entirely dedicated to the range, and the personalization area to support the client to configure their new Ferrari. The dealership is also sided by the official Ferrari Service.
Attached Thumbnails Ferrari enters Indian market as of today-ferrari_enters_indian_market_and_opens_dealership.jpg  
Old 05-26-11, 03:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

How many people in India are actually going to buy a Ferrari...or can afford to? Although the Indian economy and incomes are generally rising (and car-use is growing), we're still talking about a country where even a car like the Nano is out of reach for many. And some Indian cities, of course, (not to mention rural areas) are noted for their widespread slums and poverty.

Of course, even in affluent countries, Ferrari has always been (and survived as) a low-volume automaker. With their high prices and profit-margins, they usually don't need to sell a lot of cars to at least break even.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-26-11 at 03:24 PM.
Old 05-26-11, 03:25 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

In places like India there is a huge gap between the common man and the wealthy so there is money there. With the economy the way it is things will change more tens of millions over the next decade. Look at China. They are already the largest automotive market in the world. I think India's growth will mirror Chinas in the coming years ( they are a behind but like chine they are growing like mad)
Old 05-26-11, 03:41 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

congrats to India and Ferrari
Old 05-26-11, 03:55 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
In places like India there is a huge gap between the common man and the wealthy so there is money there. With the economy the way it is things will change more tens of millions over the next decade. Look at China. They are already the largest automotive market in the world. I think India's growth will mirror Chinas in the coming years ( they are a behind but like chine they are growing like mad)
certainly... and now they have authorized dealership as well.

I am sure there are many billionares in India. What they dont have is middle class.
Old 05-26-11, 04:16 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
I am sure there are many billionares in India. What they dont have is middle class.
There is a large middle class in India which is also growing thanks to their growing economy.

But the underlying problem is that the gap between the middle classes and the poorer classes is extremely huge.
Old 05-26-11, 04:19 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

the mean of living in india is far from a good representation. the standard deviation on the living is the problem. there are plenty of reach people in india with too much money to throw around. now how the exotic culture is in india, that's the interesting question. props to ferrari!
Old 05-26-11, 04:20 PM
acheparev
Driver

How will Ferrari's fair on Indian roads? Are they releasing special high clearance all terrain versions for India?

I think anyone driving them in India will be very limited on where they can go.
Old 05-26-11, 04:27 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by acheparev
How will Ferrari's fair on Indian roads? Are they releasing special high clearance all terrain versions for India?

I'm pretty sure that taking a Ferrari on a road trip in India is a very bad idea. The infrastructure simply isn't there and I suspect that the gas stations outside major urban areas have poor quality fuel that can easily ruin a high-tech engine.

No, the typical Ferrari client in India will most likely cruise around a major city with their status symbol.
Old 05-26-11, 04:33 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by DustinV
There is a large middle class in India which is also growing thanks to their growing economy.

But the underlying problem is that the gap between the middle classes and the poorer classes is extremely huge.
well it is not true middle class... middle class in india is top managers.

working man are poor.
Old 05-26-11, 04:42 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by acheparev

you will be surprised how high the front of the 458 can get when it's up.

but in general, i agree it can be quite "fun" to drive ferrari around town. but for those who can afford the car and be willing to drive it around, i am sure they will choose better routes
Old 05-26-11, 04:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by DustinV
I'm pretty sure that taking a Ferrari on a road trip in India is a very bad idea. The infrastructure simply isn't there and I suspect that the gas stations outside major urban areas have poor quality fuel that can easily ruin a high-tech engine.
Some good points. I agree.
Old 05-26-11, 04:46 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
well it is not true middle class... middle class in india is top managers.

working man are poor.
Top managers may have families for your information.

And there are many other jobs in India that enable people to live in relative wealth and thus providing the country with a growing middle class. Besides, I don't think the Indian middle classes will be to interested in a Ferrari.
Old 05-26-11, 07:39 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well there are at the very least some rich people in India (thanks to its growing economy).

For the common mass-market cars though, diesel cars are very strong sellers over there (it's becoming like how Europe is diesel-country today). The Chevrolet Cruze Diesel was the best-selling car of 2010. Toyota release a 1.4 diesel engine for its Corolla so on so forth.

The only thing I do not like though is how Audi assembles cars locally in India. The A4, A6 and Q5 are locally assembled. I'm still not convinced that you can build a German premium vehicle in a country in South Asia with same quality and reliability.

Other than that, India has a growing car market.....though I dunno how much more cars can India handle on their roads without infrastructure expansions.

Just what I think
Old 05-26-11, 08:02 PM
darkdream
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would be afraid to drive a Ferrari in India. One of my Indian friend said last time he was there a bridge collapsed after they drove across it and the driving there is crazier than almost any other country.

Quick Reply: Ferrari enters Indian market as of today