Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Would you buy an alternative fuel IS Sedan?
Yes, IS Hybrid
31.25%
Yes, IS Diesel
16.67%
Yes, IS Hybrid with F-Sport
45.83%
Yes, IS Diesel with F-Sport
22.92%
No (explain why)
12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

If Lexus made an alternative fuel version of the next IS Sedan, if so what and why?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-11, 12:25 PM
seanlee
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do it like GS450h.

most people just want to have extra power to pick up the speed. get a performance hybrid system (super capacitor) will allow lighter weight, impressive pick up torque, and a better fuel economy. it won't have 40 MPG, but should be around 28 MPG in local and probably 32 on high way.

i guess the difficult part is that you can only have performance hybrid or fuel economy hybrid system but not both. and i know most people will buy fuel economy hybrid so my dream will never come true.
Old 05-24-11, 12:28 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My preference would be IS Hybrid w/F-sport (higher performance-oriented) and lots of lux equipment too.
Old 05-24-11, 02:12 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,923 Likes on 1,029 Posts

As a Prius guy and HUGE IS fan, this obviously piques my interest. I trust Lexus can combine a powerful engine with HSD.
Old 05-24-11, 02:27 PM
LexFather

I understand in the past Lexus has done a great job with the one-size-fits all method but they are learning they have to offer more choices.

My idea
1. Make Lexus F/F-sport truly sporty with no hybrid versions. Then make Lexus hybrid versions truly MPG oriented and drop the performance.

or

2. Make Lexus F-sport sporty with hybrid versions as well as petrol (similar to how Germans offer sporty diesels). Then offer more MPG oriented hybrids as well.

As it stands Lexus "h" is kinda all over the place.
1. LS 600h and h L are 120k cars
AWD V-8 tuned for power more than MPG
2. GS 450h are 60k cars
RWD V-6 tuned for power more than MPG
3. RX 450h 44k-60k cars
FWD or AWD V-6 tuned for both power and MPG
4. HS 250h 35-45 cars
FWD I-4 tuned for MPG then power
5. CT 200h 30-40k cars
FWD I-4 tuned for MPG then power

So at this rate its hard to Lexus to advertise hybrid performance anymore when the HS/CT don't really perform in regards to speed. They can't really advertise Lexus hybrids are all about MPG b/c the more expensive models while more efficient than a traditional car are not vastly superior.

In regards to the IS, the IS 350 CURRENTLY is already fast enough for me with F-sport parts. I would love to see an IS 250h gettting 35 MPG average. That is something I would consider. I don't really desire a high performance hybrid IS but depending on specs I would maybe consider it. I honestly don't desire a 10 second IS 200h.

As for diesels with the price here MORE than premium it just makes little sense to me.

As luxury buyers look to continue to downsize and look at MPG Lexus BETTER offer an IS hybrid as has been rumored. With a hybrid IS and ES coming not sure where the HS fits in the picture.

Last edited by LexFather; 05-24-11 at 02:32 PM.

Old 05-24-11, 03:01 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,923 Likes on 1,029 Posts

How about a Lexus LF-I wait for it...h.
Old 05-24-11, 03:43 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The problem with a hybrid Lexus sedan is that the IS is already small. Stick batteries in it and it is going to EAT all of the space. Hence why I suggested a hybrid Sport cross.

I can see a diesel IS with a good engine and gearbox being successful in uk/europe market, but I guess one would have to watch the trend for buyers here in the US. Not to mention I'd find it appalling that one can't get Toyota/Lexus Diesel SUVs and pickups, but an IS??!?!

Having the CT in the lineup effectively gives folks a small, entry level Lexus, and hybrid credentials/ high mpg.

I don't mind Lexus sticking batteries in everything in their lineup, but IMHO, an IS sedan is where it makes the least sense.

Hybrid IS Sportcross (faster than the CT, matches/beats the 335d mileage), Turbo 4 to replace the 2.5 V6 and of course the IS350 and big dog IS F.... a little bit of something for everyone.
Old 05-24-11, 05:02 PM
LexFather

^^I assume like all things the IS will grow 2-3 inches next time and the improvement of batteries will make them smaller but more efficient.

I can see an IS CUV before another sportcross comes.

Old 05-24-11, 07:46 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

200h:
CT

250h:
IS
ES
HS

350h
IS
GS
RX

450h
RX
GS
LS

imho... if they want to sell many hybrids, worldwide, they have to do this.
Old 05-24-11, 07:46 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
^^I assume like all things the IS will grow 2-3 inches next time and the improvement of batteries will make them smaller but more efficient.

I can see an IS CUV before another sportcross comes.
Rav4 Lexus is coming for sure.
Old 05-25-11, 09:52 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

I think its redundant to have a performance geared hybrid for the IS aka IS 450h. That wouldn't make sense to have IS F if that's the case.

If Lexus wants to use "h" as a means for economy and sustainability, they should stick with that. They shouldn't have focused on Power of "h" for performance like they did with GS, RX and LS. Now with HS and CT...the whole hybrid line is confused.
Old 05-25-11, 10:06 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by seanlee
do it like GS450h.
wasn't it a total sales flop?
Old 05-25-11, 01:50 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by flipside909
I think its redundant to have a performance geared hybrid for the IS aka IS 450h. That wouldn't make sense to have IS F if that's the case.

If Lexus wants to use "h" as a means for economy and sustainability, they should stick with that. They shouldn't have focused on Power of "h" for performance like they did with GS, RX and LS. Now with HS and CT...the whole hybrid line is confused.
it think americans are smart enough to understand that hybrids can be powerful or economical, just like any other engine.

You have 318d and 335d.
Old 05-25-11, 05:41 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by spwolf
it think americans are smart enough to understand that hybrids can be powerful or economical, just like any other engine.

You have 318d and 335d.
This is a country that prefers a gas guzzling suv over a fairly econimical minivan or wagon of the same capacity. We don't have 318d here for obvious reasons and its a fact that 335d is a low volume seller here in the US. Diesel cars will really never get the credit like hybrid cars do here. And with everyone pushing for hybrid and phv, diesel will eventually become extinct except to the trucking world.
Old 05-25-11, 06:24 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by flipside909

Yup I agree and confusion isn't good. They need to be clear with what "h" stands for as for now it can either stand for power/efficiency or slow/efficiency plus.

Originally Posted by bagwell
wasn't it a total sales flop?
It was always a limited production model, the first of its kind who 6 years later is spawning copies from other brands. That said it never set sales on fire like how the CT is, was there even one GS hybrid ad?

Old 05-25-11, 09:13 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

It was always a limited production model, the first of its kind who 6 years later is spawning copies from other brands. That said it never set sales on fire like how the CT is, was there even one GS hybrid ad?
Thats a good point. The only time i've seen a GS hybrid in a commercial are the latest Infiniti ads for M35h. they can poke fun at the GSh all they want but they still accomplish the same 0-60 for less HP and has been doing so since late 2006.