Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota-"Yen at breaking point for us"

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-11, 05:20 AM
LexFather

Post Toyota-"Yen at breaking point for us"

http://www.autonews.com/article/2011...110519874/1503

As we first discussed here in car chat, the yen's condition is wrecking havoc on Japaanese companies exporting. While Mr. Toyoda was being kind, the CFO was telling it how it is.

Toyota plays good cop-bad cop currency kabuki

TOKYO -- Telling corporate theater unfolded at the latest Toyota earnings announcement.

And it featured President Akio Toyoda and his CFO in the roles of good cop and bad cop on the divisive issue of the surging yen and its impact on Japanese manufacturing.

Toyoda, scion to the automaker’s founding family, was naturally the good cop.

The soaring yen makes it nearly impossible for a company like Toyota to do business in Japan, he said. But as one of the country’s biggest employers, he is trying his best to keep payrolls intact.

CFO Satoshi Ozawa played the hardboiled sidekick. Toyota has reached its breaking point and has no options but to look overseas. He’s sorry, but he’ll have to take action.

The back-and-forth, repeated several times during the question-and-answer session at this month’s full-year earnings announcement, was so predictable it seemed almost scripted.

“How to protect this industrial base and employment base in Japan is something always at the top of my mind and is why I constantly insist on manufacturing in Japan,” Toyoda said.

Ozawa immediately countered: “Frankly speaking as a CFO, the current exchange rate of around 80 yen to the dollar represents the limit of continuing to conduct manufacturing in Japan.

“Creating a level playing field is something that is needed,” Toyoda continued.

Ozawa amplified: “Some people may argue for locating production outside of Japan … To avoid such hollowing out, I sincerely hope appropriate countermeasures and policies be taken.”

The not-so-subtle currency kabuki was clearly aimed at jolting Japan’s government into action to stem the yen’s rise against the dollar and euro, which makes Toyota’s exports less profitable.

Akio loathes the thought of off-shoring, but business is business, after all…hint, hint.

The yen has surged 13 percent against the dollar in the last 12 months and 23 percent since May 2008. All the while, Toyota -- and other Japanese automakers -- complained about the pain.

We heard similar protests when the currency was at 100 yen to the dollar, at 95 yen to the dollar and 90 yen to the dollar. But they’ve always managed to find a way to tighten their belts and remain profitable at any exchange rate.

Today Ozawa says Toyota can operate profitably at 85 yen to the dollar.

So does 80 yen represent the real point of no return? And will Toyota -- the self-styled defender of Japan Inc. -- actually pull up some of its Japanese roots? I’ll believe it when I see it.

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/article/2011...#ixzz1MtVZFB8x

Old 05-20-11, 10:02 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I really commend Toyota for what they've done for the Japanese by keeping manufacturing at home.

The USD is really not doing IT'S job by holding value, currencies all over the world are rising against the dollar because it is getting more and more worthless by the day.

Many companies have saved money by simply moving their employees overseas, lowering the cost of living while maintaining and improving quality.
Old 05-20-11, 10:11 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
I really commend Toyota for what they've done for the Japanese by keeping manufacturing at home.

The USD is really not doing IT'S job by holding value, currencies all over the world are rising against the dollar because it is getting more and more worthless by the day.

Many companies have saved money by simply moving their employees overseas, lowering the cost of living while maintaining and improving quality.
this is actually good for US industry since it can then export at cheaper prices.
Old 05-20-11, 10:18 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spwolf
this is actually good for US industry since it can then export at cheaper prices.
Yes, I've noticed the high tech businesses showing nice upticks in international business.
Old 05-20-11, 10:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Toyoda, scion to the automaker’s founding family, was naturally the good cop.
Was that supposed to be a pun?
Old 05-20-11, 10:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

“How to protect this industrial base and employment base in Japan is something always at the top of my mind and is why I constantly insist on manufacturing in Japan,” Toyoda said.
I know that it is now water over the dam and crying over spilled milk, but this is the attitude we in America should have been taking in our own country for the last 20-30 years, instead of our corporations constantly following the lowest labor-rates all over the planet like sheep.
Old 05-20-11, 02:19 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

this is one upside to the weak dollar... in theory in could bring more jobs to the u.s.!
of course we'll have mexicans fill those jobs, but i digress...
Old 05-20-11, 03:29 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
no it doesnt when our raw material prices and operational costs go up due to a weak dollar