Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

1sickreview: 2010 RX 450h FWD "One of the all time greats"

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-11, 08:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Thanks, Mike...as always, nice review/write-up.

The 3RX now has chrome window trim around the doors, something I noticed Acura now copied and put on their MDX.
The current-production MDX actually came out before the 3RX...it has been on the road 3-4 years. So are you saying it is just something Acura added this year to the current-production MDX?

The 3RX really drives like a car now and seems quite athletic for a RX. It really feels more agile on its feet and more active compared to the 2RXh which feels heavier (though its lighter) and slower and less happy to be pushed, even moderately. I really really like the way the 450h drives! Brakes are superb and the 3RXh really handles much better in corners at low, moderate, high speeds compared to the 2RXh which feels cumbersome. The 19s soak up bumps like the 2RXh 18s, it was a great ride and not harsh over any kind of pavement I drove over. Even driving around normally, the 3RXh feels like a more expensive vehicle than it is.
Though the 3RX went to softer higher-profile tires than the 2RX, (60-series instead of 55), the new suspension makes up for it with more firmness. I agree that the RX is generally car-like, but not to the extent of an Outback. On the other hand, the Outback, nice as it is, cannot equal the powertrain-smoothness or tomb-quietness/refinement of an RX.
Old 05-19-11, 09:18 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the review! I love the Rx... a used RXh may be in my future
Old 05-20-11, 06:32 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

RX450h is best selling lexus in europe, despite being very expensive...

It is actually priced a bit more than GS450h.
Old 05-20-11, 08:30 AM
grabber2
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

It surely a good car, I just can't myself into an RX. There is just too many of them on the street especially in New York City......They are everywhere. There's at least 1~2 in every block in my area. (South west Brooklyn). I saw more RX than Honda Civic during my daily commute to/from work. Out of about 150 cars in our company parking lot, there's about 14~16 of them!! This car is getting so common and so ordinary and it would be the least Lexus I want. Yes, I'll even rather get a HS250 over the RX..........Even my wife feel the same way!!
Old 05-20-11, 01:26 PM
LexFather

Thanks everyone. Had an opportunity to take pics and will answer posts/questions soon.

Old 05-20-11, 01:40 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

I wonder if they should do F-Sport version of RX... with sways, springs, body kit and interior kit...

i think it would sell well.
Old 05-20-11, 05:14 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by grabber2
It surely a good car, I just can't myself into an RX. There is just too many of them on the street especially in New York City......They are everywhere. There's at least 1~2 in every block in my area. (South west Brooklyn). I saw more RX than Honda Civic during my daily commute to/from work. Out of about 150 cars in our company parking lot, there's about 14~16 of them!! This car is getting so common and so ordinary and it would be the least Lexus I want. Yes, I'll even rather get a HS250 over the RX..........Even my wife feel the same way!!
the RX is a popular vehicle for a reason! just because every tom, ****, and harry has one, doesn't mean you shouldn't buy one. if being too common for you, then you could always modify it by adding aftermarket wheels and bodykit to make it stand out from the crowd.

Originally Posted by spwolf
I wonder if they should do F-Sport version of RX... with sways, springs, body kit and interior kit...

i think it would sell well.
jdm aftermarket already supplies body kit and interior (kit) upgrades. possibly springs and coilovers, but i haven't seen any definitive proof yet. i doubt sways would become available.
Old 05-25-11, 10:02 AM
LexFather

Thanks everyone. My MPG like any car changes depending on the drive.
21 MPG-driving in the heat, constant on/off, going over speed limit, lots of acceleration and the battery has less time to recharge.
28 MPG-driving pretty normally around time and watching myself with groceries, additional passenger(s)
32-35 MPG on the highway-absolutely astonishing really. I ended at 32 MPG but I am certain I could have kept it at 35 MPG if I actually stated around 55-65 MPH. This is going 70-85 MPG. Quite amazing.

I was actually shown by my cousin how to use the AUX port. Its in the console but when the console has this felt lined container it seems to cover the port. I thought I was going crazy until she told me.

The RX is wider and I have long arms and noticed that the controls on the passenger side were a reach to me. Using Sat radio if you use the **** to change stations its a long way, so use the up/down buttons closer to you.

Ventilated seats work well in the summer.

Noticed there were illuminuated side sills like our 400h, I assume its an option?

Engine by is of course completely covered. Not sure how easy it is to change the oil (DIY).

No squeaks, no rattles.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks, Mike...as always, nice review/write-up.

The current-production MDX actually came out before the 3RX...it has been on the road 3-4 years. So are you saying it is just something Acura added this year to the current-production MDX?

Though the 3RX went to softer higher-profile tires than the 2RX, (60-series instead of 55), the new suspension makes up for it with more firmness. I agree that the RX is generally car-like, but not to the extent of an Outback. On the other hand, the Outback, nice as it is, cannot equal the powertrain-smoothness or tomb-quietness/refinement of an RX.
Notice that the MDX window line changes as the RX's changes. The 1st gen followed the same window line but more square as the 2nd gen. Then the 3RX gained chrome trim around the window and the MDX gained it with its MMC. Just something I noticed.

I have yet to try an Outback.

Originally Posted by Stormforge
the RX is a popular vehicle for a reason! just because every tom, ****, and harry has one, doesn't mean you shouldn't buy one. if being too common for you, then you could always modify it by adding aftermarket wheels and bodykit to make it stand out from the crowd.

jdm aftermarket already supplies body kit and interior (kit) upgrades. possibly springs and coilovers, but i haven't seen any definitive proof yet. i doubt sways would become available.
Yeah it is something even my wife has mentioned, so I think it gave the go ahead the mod the RX . There are a lot of them but most are 350s, not 450hs.

The first pic shows he details of the front light and new Lexus Grille. I am not a fan of the headlight being so far close to the Grille and the foglight further out. Nice detailing in the bodywork.

2nd pic-engine bay

3rd pic-familar Lexus controls, swooping dash and nice storage area under the floating console.

4th pic-such an original dash. Lexus always gets called boring and the RX has one of the most stylish dashes around.

5th pic-I am 6"5, with the seat all the way back my knees touch the back but I have long legs. There is PLENTY of headroom though no matter where the seat is reclined in
Attached Thumbnails 1sickreview: 2010 RX 450h FWD "One of the all time greats"-may2011miscbkyrddeck-184-1.jpg   1sickreview: 2010 RX 450h FWD "One of the all time greats"-may2011miscbkyrddeck-185-1.jpg   1sickreview: 2010 RX 450h FWD "One of the all time greats"-may2011miscbkyrddeck-186-1.jpg   1sickreview: 2010 RX 450h FWD "One of the all time greats"-may2011miscbkyrddeck-187-1.jpg   1sickreview: 2010 RX 450h FWD "One of the all time greats"-may2011miscbkyrddeck-188.jpg  

Last edited by LexFather; 05-25-11 at 10:07 AM.

Old 05-25-11, 10:12 AM
LexFather

Its always amazing to me how all these mag review rarely talk about the rear cargo area outside of cubic size. The RX has a really large rear for a stylish vehicle.
1-Seats back, tons of room for most people for daily activities of any kind.
2-loaner blood Notice that handle? Well when you pull it it drops the seat! Awesome idea instead of having to go around to the front or having to reach to the top to drop the seat. This is much easier and there is one on either side. Notice the rear speaker and small window but rear visibility is fine.
3 & 4-cargo area with the seat(s) down
5-notice the clever detailing of the mirror with chrome trim and the indentions to make air flow. Notice is also blends with the beltline and you can see baby shoulders of the RX.
Attached Thumbnails 1sickreview: 2010 RX 450h FWD "One of the all time greats"-may2011miscbkyrddeck-189-1.jpg   1sickreview: 2010 RX 450h FWD "One of the all time greats"-may2011miscbkyrddeck-190-1.jpg   1sickreview: 2010 RX 450h FWD "One of the all time greats"-may2011miscbkyrddeck-191-1.jpg   1sickreview: 2010 RX 450h FWD "One of the all time greats"-may2011miscbkyrddeck-192.jpg   1sickreview: 2010 RX 450h FWD "One of the all time greats"-may2011miscbkyrddeck-193.jpg  

Old 05-25-11, 10:24 AM
LexFather

1-You can see how much the seats recline in the rear, great for a long trip and for passengers. It is manual.
2-You can move the seats fore and aft in the rear like every RX made. I took a pic to show how far the seat moves up if you need more space in the rear with the seat up.

Below some pics under a wood bridge.....

Oh as for performance, the RX 450h pulls fine but it is no GS 450h at low speed or at highway speed, there is a clear and obvious difference in power so not sure why this is a 450h instead of a 420h or so. Whereas the GS is a slingshot when you floor it, the RX needs a little time to move, its like "oh snap he wants both battery and engine power"

Overall there is no wonder why this sells so greatly a jack of all trades, luxurious and better MPG to boot. No brainer to me on all levels with build quality to boot and options galore if one chooses that route. Quite frankly it is the luxury SUV route to go unless you truly desire something sporty, then I have a Cayenne GTS to show you

Mike
Attached Thumbnails 1sickreview: 2010 RX 450h FWD "One of the all time greats"-may2011miscbkyrddeck-194.jpg   1sickreview: 2010 RX 450h FWD "One of the all time greats"-may2011miscbkyrddeck-195-1.jpg   1sickreview: 2010 RX 450h FWD "One of the all time greats"-photo-3-5.jpg   1sickreview: 2010 RX 450h FWD "One of the all time greats"-photo-7.jpg  

Old 05-25-11, 11:35 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

are you sure your car had illuminated door sills? It seems your loaner did not have the luxury package which includes two front illuminated door sills. Unless the dealer really wanted to add it as an after market addition, those may just be metal plates. They should illuminate blue
Old 05-25-11, 11:44 AM
LexFather

^^^ The 450h had no illuminated sills, the 400h does though (orange for 06, then blue for 07'08). Hope that clarifies things.

Old 05-25-11, 03:37 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

^^ oh yeah fixed

Noticed there were no illuminuated side sills like our 400h, I assume its an option?
Old 05-25-11, 03:40 PM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Great review, it re-enforces the things that contributed to my decision to buy a RX 450h this winter. I have no regrets about that decision.
Old 05-25-11, 05:14 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

To add to the great review. My (h) identical in color and equipment was the very 1st in Atlanta (it was hot shipped from the port for me) and built in May of 09, the 1st production month. I'll have had it two years near the middle of next month and I'm approaching 25,000 none eventful miles (with exception of a stress crack in the w/s which was replaced with new OEM w/s) No further problems with it.

I have the Michelin's and was shooting for 30,000 miles but I'm about to set a new goal for 35-40,000.

My graph I've posted before shows over a year right around 30mpg average with a very slight decline in the winter months when the engine and batts are colder and back up in the summer months. Current since I last set it about two months ago is 30.6 and on this tank about 1/3 of the way through it 30.4 due to some short trips of less then 5 miles. Even in the heat of summer with the a/c being powered by the batteries, it's still about 10% better than the middle of winter. Cold drains the juice more than anything (except extremely short trips).

I'll probably start to think about a new one when the price of a 2nd set of tires is on the horizon.

There is no way I can account for all the cars I've owned new and used having been in the business but this one is definitely the most memorable.

And I'm aware that it's not for 'all' people. Just those with exquisite tastes .

BTW, he has a gender (male) and a name (Watson) which seems appropriate. An unnamed C/L member helped me with the choice

Last edited by Cruiter; 05-25-11 at 05:18 PM. Reason: addition

Quick Reply: 1sickreview: 2010 RX 450h FWD "One of the all time greats"