Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Review: 2011 Hyundai Tucson

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-11, 04:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default MM Review: 2011 Hyundai Tucson

Review of the new Second-Generation 2011 Hyundai Tucson

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/tucson/

IN A NUTSHELL: A good inexpensive all-around bad-weather daily-driver, like its Kia Sportage stablemate, Toyota RAV4, Honda CR-V,
and a number of Subarus.

The Hyundai Tucson is sometimes overlooked in the huge (and growing) world of so-called "Cute-Utes" ........relatively small, inexpensive, unibody, FWD or AWD car-based SUVs, which are usually (but not always) based on FWD compact-car platforms. In the U.S. market, this includes quite a number of vehicles...Toyota RAV4, Honda CR-V, Mitsubishi Outlander, Ford Escape, Chevy Equinox, Dodge Journey, Nissan Rogue, VW Tiguan, several Subaru models, the Tucson's own corporate-brother Kia Sportage, the now-discontinued Pontiac Torrent, Saturn Vue, Mercury Mariner, and a number of others....it is difficult to list them all. This class of vehicles, in the American market, has shown explosive growth over the years.....for good reasons. They are relatively inexpensive (and today anything inexpensive, as I see it, means under $30,000), versatile, space-efficient, relatively comfortable, easy to drive with car-like handling, offer full-time AWD all-weather-traction, and are relatively easy on gas by AWD standards.. In short, they make excellent daily-drivers (IMO, among the best and most sensible), especially in areas that get their share of bad weather.

So, today, let's pick the Tucson out of that sea of Cute-Utes and concentrate on Hyundai's contributation to this sensible class of vehicles. Hyundai, of course, got off to a bad start in the U.S. in the late 1980s and 90s, with second-rate vehicles, poor engineering and assembly-quality, and a high rate of customer complaints. For a while, the company (and its Kia cousin) were the butt of jokes on the late-night TV shows.....Jay Leno, in particular, who is a noted car-enthusiast, liked to take jabs. But, with the coming of new Hyundai management in the late 1990s, those days faded into history as Hyundai and Kia (Hyundai eventually bought out Kia) got their acts together and started making respectable vehicles.

And, into this world of new, respectable Korean vehicles stepped the First-Generation Tucson......Hyundai's answer to the popular Toyota RAV-4 and Honda CR-V. The Tuscon was based on elements of the company's Elantra compact-car platform, and, like its competitors, offered full-time car-based AWD and a less-expensive FWD version for those who didn't need the extra traction. Kia, who had previously produced the first-generation Sportage, which was unreliable and unimpressive, introduced the completely-redesigned second-generation Sportage to sell alongside Hyundai's Tucson. Both had a few teething problems in their first year (especially the Sportage), but then, according to Consumer Reports, recovered rapidly, and have generally been reliable ever since.

So, that now brings us, in 2011, to the Second-Generation Tucson and the Third-Generation Sportage. Both are all-new for 2011, and, especially with the Tucson, are styled quite different from their predecessors. I won't get into the details of the new Sportage here (that's a subject for another review, and the new Sportage looks quite different from the Tuscon), but the stying of the new Tucson is quite an eye-opener compared to the conservative looks of the older, first-generation model......I'll get into that more of that below.

For 2011, three different trim levels of the Tucson are offered in the American market.....GL, GLS, and Limited. The GL model comes with FWD, a 2.0L in-line four with 165 HP/146 ft-lbs. of torque, and a choice of 5-speed manual or 6-speed automatic ShiftTronic transmission. GLS and Limited models come with a choice of FWD/AWD, a slightly larger 2.4L in-line four with 176 HP/168 ft-lbs. of torque, and the 6-speed automatic. Downhill-Brake-Control and Hillstart-Assist-Control, for steep hills and mild off-roading, are standard in all versions....but the Tuscon, of course, is not designed to be a serious off-roader like the Jeep Wrangler. Like on the Honda CR-V and Subaru Forester, (and its own sister Kia Sportage), no V6 option is available on any model. Base prices start at $18,895 for the GL, $21,995 for the GLS, and $24,845 for the Limited. I'd like to see the larger 2.4L four and AWD offered as options on the base GL model, in order to get the AWD as cheaply as possible (AWD is probably too much weight/drag for the smaller 2.0L four), but Hyundai just doesn't market the Tucson that way. I also felt that the attractive light-blue and light-green paint colors should be offered on the base model, but, again, they are offered only on the GLS and Limited.....another needless restriction, IMO.

At a local Hyundai shop, I looked over, and sat in, a number of GLS and Limited models (they didn't seem to have any base models in stock). They also didn't have much in the way of GLS AWD models, and the Limited models were about evenly split between FWD and AWD models. It beats me why the dealership ordered so many FWD models, when the majority of buyers of this class of vehicle usually do so for the AWD winter traction. The Hyundai people there said the FWD models would sell, but I'm not convinced. I hope, for their sake, that they are right...it's their money tied up in those orders sitting on the lot, not mine. Anyhow, for the review, I chose a reasonably-priced, Iris Blue/Taupe Limited AWD model, without a lot of expensive options, that listed for a little over 27K (a number of other Limited AWD models there listed around 30K). It was, I felt, more-or-less representative of what was most likely to sell, althogh if it was my money, I'd probably look at something I didn't see there in stock...a mid-line GLS AWD.

The new Tucson turned out to be a good small SUV, but I don't think it is the best vehicle in its class...IMO, that honor probably goes, especially for build-quality, to the present-generation Honda CR-V. Details coming up.

MODEL REVIEWED: 2011 Hyundai Tucson Limited AWD

BASE PRICE: $26,345

OPTIONS:

Carpeted Mats: $100

Cargo Net: $50

Cargo Tray: $100

First Aid Kit: $20

Mud Guards: $85

DESTINATION/FREIGHT: $795

LIST PRICE AS REVIEWED: $27,495

DRIVETRAIN: AWD, Transversely-mounted 2.4L in-line four, 176 HP @ 6000 RPM, Torque 168 Ft-lbs. @ 4000 RPM, 6-speed ShiftTronic automatic transmission. (HP/Torque figures slightly lower for PZEV Partial-Zero Emission versions).

EPA MILEAGE RATING: 21 City / 28 Highway (The Tucson's 6-speed automatic does better than the 5-speed manual in the base GL version)

EXTERIOR COLOR: Iris Blue (medium-dark Bluish-Purple)

INTERIOR: Taupe Leather (actually a three-tone Black/Beige/Taupe)

PLUSSES:

Good pricing-level compared to some of their competitors.

Generally good reliability record.

Long Hyundai 10/100 and 5/60 vehicle-warranty.

Nice, fairly-easy-to-use Hyundai web-site.

Relatively smooth, refined four-cylinder.

Fairly smooth 6-speed Shifttronic automatic transmission.

Quick steering response for a small SUV.

Reasonable level of body-lean for a tall SUV.

Fairly good wind-noise control.

Reasonably good brakes and brake-pedal location.

Superb underhood layout.

Excellent paint job.

Nice lower-body-cladding all-around to prevent paint damage.

Solid, precise-closing doors similiar to other Hyundai models.

Superbly-designed rectangle-shaped side-mirrors.

Mirror-mounted turn-signal indicators on Limited model.

Clear, easy-to-read primary gauges.

Generally simple, easy-to-use dash buttons/*****.

Very powerful heater-A/C fan.

Attractive two/three-tone interior color options (Limited model).

Fairly nice interior brushed-metal/painted-silver trim.

Excellent front-seat headroom with the cushion lowered.

Good rear-seat headroom.

Generally good rear legroom.

Subaru-like rubber cargo-mat (GLS/Limited models) in the trunk to protect the carpet.

Cargo net in the trunk (GLS, Limited models) to help hold packages.

MINUSES:

Larger engine and AWD should be offered as options on base GL model, and aren't.

No V6 option on any model.

Rather jittery ride quality.

Pronounced road/tire noise, even on smooth surfaces.

Aurora Blue and Kiwi Green paint colors not offered on base GL model.

Turn-signal-equipped side-mirrors (a safety feature) only on Limited model.

No body-side mouldings to prevent parking-lot damage.

Cheap-looking flat-black window-moulding-trim, even on Limited models.

Awkward-looking (IMO), fish-like front end styling.

Heavy steel hood takes some muscle to lift.

Manual hood prop-rod instead of struts/springs.

Zig-zag transmission shift lever instead of a simple fore/aft motion.

Somewhat grainy seat-leather.

Front-seats a little small for big, heavy Americans.

Rather awkward, step-on parking-brake (but not as awkward as in some lower-stance sedans).

Quirky video bar-graph secondary gauges.

Sticky turn-signal stalk.

Restricted rear-quarter vision out the back.

Cargo-area pull/shade cover a dealer-installed accessory, except on Limited models.

Too much hard-plastic interior trim (on all models).

Weirdly-shaped, outside-pointing primary-gauge tunnels, like on Sonata.

Is it Tuscon or Tucson?....so easy to get the spelling wrong.

EXTERIOR:

As you first walk up to the new Tucson and look at it, there is nothing at all, style-wise, to connect it to the old puppy-face Tucson. Nothing. Zilch. In fact, were it not for the rather awkward-looking, fish-like snout up front, which is somewhat similiar to the nose of new Elantra, you probably wouldn't guess it as a Hyundai product at all (The Tucson, of course, is done on a raised-version of the Elantra's platform). The sheet metal, except for the rather heavy steel hood, seems a little on the thin side, but not too bad. The paint job is very good, bordering on excellent. My only complaint with the paint-colors offered is that the two nicest colors (IMO), a nice light pastel-blue and pastel-green (Aurora Blue and Kiwi Green) are not available on the base GL model. Like many new vehicles vehicles today, there are no body-side mouldings to help ward off parking-lot dings, but there is a nice, wide, grayish-black cladding all around the entire lower-body and in the wheel-wells to protect against paint damage from salt, road-debris, etc.....

The new Tucson is quite tall, and it is quite a reach, even for someone my height, up to the metallic-silver-painted roof-rails on top. A tall center of gravity, of course, can also mean tipsy handling, but today's electronic stability systems help that at least to some extent. The doors, though not of particularly solid sheet metal, close with the same fairly-solid "thunk" and precise laser-fit that also chacterizes some other newer Hyundai models. I was pleased with the fairly large, rectangle-shaped outside mirror housings.....they were well-shaped, well-fitted, and swiveled/locked smoothly and slickly. To get the integrated turn-signals in them, however, you have to get the Limited model (I suspect we might soon see a Federal Safety standard mandating integrated side-mirror-turn-signals in all cars, because there is a good case for them). All of the exterior chrome was well-done and well-fitted, though rather sparsely-applied, even on the Limited model. All of the new Tucsons have rather cheap-looking flat-black rubber moulding around the windows, instead of chrome or brushed-metal trim. The splash-guards cost $85.....on a bad-weather vehicle like this, IMO, they should be standard.

Last, the new Tuscon does seem to have grown some, physically. Inside and out, it now seems about the same size as the original Hyundai Santa-Fe, before the Santa-Fe itself also grew with its second-generation redesign.

UNDERHOOD:

The hood is quite heavy, seemingly made out of some pretty solid sheet steel. Wrestle it up (which may be tough for weaker persons), and you then have to hold it up with one hand while fumbling with a manual prop-rod and hole in the other. This is exactly the type of vehicle where a tiny bit added to the list-price to cover the cost of using springs or struts at the factory would be well-worth it.....sometimes the bean-counters just don't think. However, once you get the Charles-Atlas hood up and propped, everything else is quite nice. Under the hood lies a nice insulation pad. The basic underhood layout is exellent....even superb. The transversely-mounted 2.4L in-line four fits in with loads of room to spare, with plenty of space to reach things on all three sides of the block....especially in back, between the block and the firewall. A small black plastic engine cover, on top of the engine itself, blocks a small amount of top-component-access, but very little compared to many covers. The battery is to the right, completely uncovered, and easily-accessable, though it is not as far forward as in many other vehicles. The dipsticks, filler-caps, and fluid-reservoirs are, likewise, all easily-accessable. Companies like BMW, Lexus, Audi, and Mercedes, who like covering up everything under the hood with panels and making things a complete nightmare for DIY'ers, need to take a good close look at user-friendly underhood designs like this. Of course, cars today are so complex that it is often difficult to do much under the hood besides simple oil changes and filter-replacements, particularly with many of today's electrical-components. That can hold true even with user-friendly underhood layouts such as this one.

INTERIOR:

Though I found the interior of the old Tucson a little plain and lacking some trim, I generally prefer it, like its exterior styling, to that of the new model. The dash, and instrument-cluster, IMO, try to have too much of a Space-Age look. There is way too much hard-plastic trim all over the interior, and only the middle-inserts of the door panels and a couple of small armrests have any soft surfaces at all. The sun visors are a thick, bone-hard material.....I couldn't tell if it was plastic or not. The primary instruments are clear and easy to read, but their deep twin-tunnels have rims that are oddly canted-out, away from the center, somewhat like on the new Sonata, and hide the view from the side....that means you have to be directly in front of them to see them (well, at least the right-front passenger can't be nagging you about how fast you're going). The front seats are fairly comfortable, but the bottom cushions are a little small for Not-So-Frugal-Fannies like mine.....they appear to be designed more for smaller Koreans than big Americans. The steering wheel is well-done and generally comfortable to hold, and the brushed-metallic trim on the spokes, IMO, looks nicer than the painted-silver plastic on some other trim parts. The upper-dash has a decent-looking but unpleasantly-hard surface. The Limited model offers a couple of attractive two-and three-tone interior color combinations, including one with chocolate-brown seats (I posted it in the images above). The actual seat-leather on the Limited had a somewhat grainy, feel, similiar to that found on a number of German vehicles, but appeared to be true leather rather than the fake imitation stuff that even some more-expensive vehicles use. Due to the tall roofline, headroom in the front seats, with the cushions lowered, was quite good, even for 6-foot-plus guys my size or taller. Headroom in the back, and, of course, legroom, was not quite so generous as up front, but still not bad for someone my size. I could sit (but just barely) in back, with my ubiquitous baseball-cap, and not have my head hit the ceiling. The interior hardware and switches felt at least fairly solid, and the *****/buttons were generally clearly marked. Some of the *****, as is curently fashionable, have nice chrome rings on them, and operated smoothly with a solid feel. The stereo sound quality was excellent, particularly for an inexpensive vehicle.....it was great to put in a CD and hear the Beastie Boys do "You've Got to Fight for Your Right to Party" (Great music for great stereos). Although the stereo's buttons/***** were generally well-marked and easy to use, the video-readout for the stereo itself (my test-car was a non-NAV) was a little on the complex side. The turn-signal stalk in my test car felt gummy and sticky. Pressing it very lightly sometimes gave you the simple lane-change flash and sometimes locked it into place...it didn't seem to have any kind of spring-resistance to it. I didn't care for the light-blue video/bar-graph fuel and engine-temperature gauges....usually, analong ones are simpler and easier to read at a glance. I also didn't like the badly-restricted rear-quarter vision, though the straight-rear vision out the rear hatch-window wasn't bad. Turn on the climate-control, though, and the hurricane-like fan, on high setting, blows out enough hot and cold air through the vents (with some noise) for an Al Gore press-conference on climate change.

CARGO AREA/TRUNK:

Flip up the solid-but-not-heavy rear hatch, and you are greeted with a fairly nice cargo area that is reasonably large and roomy for this class of SUV. The rear roofline, though not classic-square and with some rake, does not rake enough to seriously impact the trunk's ceiling. Inside, the black trunk-floor carpet (and black hard-trim on the side-walls) is not particularly impressive, and feels more like fabric than carpet. A Subaru-like, vinyl/rubber cargo-tray, custom-fitted to protect and keep the trunk's carpet dry costs $100....worth the price, IMO (I've really liked the standard one in my Subaru Outback). There is a cargo-net (a $50 option) across the back of the floor to help hold in packages. The Limited model has a nice standard pull-cover to hide the trunk's contents from prying eyes, but on base and GLS models, ou must pay for it as a dealer-installed accessory (that's something that Hyundai marketing needs to address). Under the floor is (you guessed it) a temporary spare tire instead of a real one. The rear seats, of course, fold down for added cargo space, and don't have remote-levers back in the trunk, but, nevertheless, are still easy-to-reach while standing behind the vehicle with the hatch-lid open. Finally, an optional ($20) First-Aid-Kit rounds out the trunk's contents....probably worth the small price. You find them in a number of premium/upmarket vehicles, but many in this price range don't offer one at all.

ON THE ROAD:

Start up the 2.4L in-line four with a traditional ignition key and side-column switch.....I generally prefer a contemporary engine START/STOP button, but I won't list it as a complaint. The four fires up and idles reasonably smooth and quiet, though, of course, it is no Lexus V8. Give it some gas on the road, and it stays reasonably smooth and refined and delivers adequate power for everyday driving on level surfaces lightly loaded, though, for hillier terrain and heavier loads, the V6 option it lacks would probably be appreciated. Also, turn on the aforementioned powerful air-conditioning, and response drops noticeably. Most buyers get this class of vehicle for reasonably economical and inexpensive AWD, and at 28 MPG on the highway, the Tucson doesn't disappoint. Just don't go around trying to drag-race Mustang and Camaro V8s.

The 6-speed ShiftTronic automatic transmission, like the 2.4L four, is shared with a number of other current Hyundai/Kia products, and, like with them, is generally smooth and refined in the Tucson. The shift lever has an annoying zig-zag pattern.....I generally prefer the fore-aft motion. Manual Sport-Shifts can be made in the separate gate by bumping the lever back and forth, but there are no shift-paddles on the steering wheel. Standard Downhill Brake-Control and Hill-Start Assist modes help control the vehicle in off-road and difficult conditons, but the Tucson is not meant for serious off-roading in the same manner as, say, a Jeep Wrangler. The center-differential can be electronically-locked, via a dash push-button, for difficult traction conditions (ice, snow, mud, etc....) but, of course, as with any locked differential, is not for use on dry surfaces where the tires cannot slip and allow for differences in the four wheel-rotation speeds on corners.

The overall chassis/suspension-engineering is not bad for this class of vehicle, and gives relatively quick steering response with only a moderate amount of body lean, though, of course, you have to expect at least some lean with vehicles as tall as this one is. The standard vehicle-stability-system helps keep things under control, though, unlike the Volvo Roll-Control VSC, it corrects only for understeer/oversteer and not roll-angle as well. The power-steering gives your hands at least some sense of what the front tires are doing, but with a slightly artificial feel, and, of course, not to BMW-tactile levels. As mentioned, steering-response is quite good for a car-based SUV. Wind-noise levels were generally well-damped, but tire/road noise was pronounced, even on smooth surfaces.....enough that, IMO, it might get tiring on a long drive of several hours. Ride comfort, from the slightly firmish suspension and 225/55-18 all-season tires inflated to 33-35 PSI, is a little on the jittery side over bumps, though without the fore/aft porposing motions noted on some SUVs, even car-based ones. The brakes, though not Porcshe-911 effective, stop reasonably well, although the way the hydraulics and master-cylinder respond, it's hard to tell if the pedal has any sponginess in it or not. The pedal itself is located reasonably-well for my big size-15 circus-clown shoes, and my shoe had only a very small tendency to catch on the side/underside of the brake pedal when going from the gas to the brake.

THE VERDICT:

Overall, I had mixed feelings about the new Tucson, especially compared to the old model. Like most of the other small, inexpensive car-based SUVs it competes against, the Tucson provides good, reasonably economical, space-efficient daily-driving in bad weather, and, of course, Hyundai's famous 10/100 and 5/60 warranty comes with it. Build-quality, while not quite up to that of the class-leading Honda CR-V, seems to be above-average. Reliability should turn out to be at least average or better, though, of course, this is an all-new and untested design. Tall people, wihout a sunroof, can generally sit in both the front and rear without undue problems, and the cargo area is reasonably roomy. Depreciation is also a question mark, but Hyundais and Kias are slowly improving in that area...traditionally one oftheir weaknesses.

But there are several flies in the ointment as well. It needs more sound-insulation in the wheel-wells to quiet down the tire-noise. I know that styling is subjective and a personal matter, but, like with the new smaller Hyundai sedans (Sonata, Elantra, Accent), I was not impressed with the overall styling of the new Tucson, with its fishy-nose and the awkwardly-done D-pillars that block some rear vision (other opinions, of course, may not agree). Like with the Honda CR-V and a few other small SUVs, it could use a V6 option for heavier loads and hillier terrain that Hyundai doesn't offer....of course, at maybe a slight fuel-mileage penalty. It could also benefit (maybe) from the Sonata's four-cylinder-hybrid powertrain option (shared with the Kia Optima) for those who seek maximum MPG regardless of cost. The base GL model should offer the larger 2.4L four and AWD s options....currently, it doesn't, and base GL models seem to be hard to find in stock in my area. And, Hyundai needs to address some annoying paint-color and cargo-area-option issues (I've already outlined those above).

But, for those who want to spend 20-30K on a new all-around daily driver that can also tackle bad weather and slippery conditions, the new Tuscon certainly deserves a place on one's shopping list. In general, I myself generally prefer Subarus for their car-like driving manners, but, discounting Subarus, I would probably choose the Tuscon (or its sister Kia Sportage) right behind the Honda CR-V. I don't particularly like the new Tucson's styling, but, IMO, more is at stake when buying a new car than just looks alone.

And of course, as always, Happy Car-Shopping.

MM

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-16-11 at 09:01 PM.
Old 05-16-11, 07:07 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Nice Review Marshall. I've noticed from most of your posts about Hyundai that you don't like the styling or at least prefer Kia's design language over Hyundai's. Subjectively speaking of course, I actually like the direction that Hyundai has gone with their vehicle line-up. I think they look more modern and streamlined than Honda's own line-up which seem to lack passion in design. Back to the Tucson, the interior is much improved over the previous gen. The ergonomics, materials used, and control intuitiveness also seem better overall. The car feels less cheap. Powertrain wise, both 4 cylinders are adequate, but I agree there should be a V6 offered. Or at least the 2.0T, which is offered on this Hyundai's corporate cousin the Kia Sportage with near 270hp. It's a good redesign, and I'll be curious to see if it grabs any sales away from the CR-V. Personally I'm more excited about the upcoming Escape/Vertek redesign from Ford.

Overall I like the direction that Hyundai is going with it's vehicles, though I'm still not sold on the Sonata. I really don't like it's side profile lol. The redesigned Azera is also around the corner, and although it's not currently a big seller it should be another good alternative to Toyota Avalon, Ford Taurus, and one of those FWD Buicks.
Old 05-16-11, 08:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Nice Review Marshall.
Thanks.

I've noticed from most of your posts about Hyundai that you don't like the styling or at least prefer Kia's design language over Hyundai's.
Hyundai, I thought, had pretty good styling (or at least OK), up to last year. Then, IMO, they blew it with the latest Sonata, Elantra, Accent, and Tucson. They've also made the newest models ride a little stiffer, but it has helped the handling a little.

Subjectively speaking of course, I actually like the direction that Hyundai has gone with their vehicle line-up. I think they look more modern and streamlined than Honda's own line-up which seem to lack passion in design.
I agree that Honda is not a styling champion by any means. They seem to excel in assembly-precision and build-quality more than anything else. But some of their vehicles definitely look awkward. And the insect-like front end of the Fit is downright weird.

Back to the Tucson, the interior is much improved over the previous gen. The ergonomics, materials used, and control intuitiveness also seem better overall. The car feels less cheap.
Yes, there are a few nice things about the new interior, such as color-coordination and multi-tones, but the trim materials are cheap, and there is way too much hard-plastic.

Powertrain wise, both 4 cylinders are adequate, but I agree there should be a V6 offered. Or at least the 2.0T, which is offered on this Hyundai's corporate cousin the Kia Sportage with near 270hp. It's a good redesign, and I'll be curious to see if it grabs any sales away from the CR-V.
Have you driven the Tuscon's base N/A 2.0 to verify its being adequate? I didn't have a chance to sample it myself, as few of them are in stock locally. But the larger 2.4L was just adequate for lighter loads and level surfaces........with AWD, I wouldn't want it in the hills or heavily loaded.

Personally I'm more excited about the upcoming Escape/Vertek redesign from Ford.
Yes, IS-SV said he also is waiting to see it as well. I've always liked the Escape.....in fact, I helped a neighbor of mine shop for one. I will probably review the new one when it becomes available here. It will likely have some elements from the new Focus platform. (I know you'll probably post a review of one as soon as you see one printed)

It's too bad that its Mazda Tribute and and Mercury Mariner twins will be gone.

Overall I like the direction that Hyundai is going with it's vehicles, though I'm still not sold on the Sonata. I really don't like it's side profile lol.
Well, to be fair, it's an excellent car, mechanically under the skin. It's just the new skin that, IMO, could use some improvement. But Kia, to its credit, managed to produce an even better version, and, of course, a better-looking skin as well.

The redesigned Azera is also around the corner, and although it's not currently a big seller it should be another good alternative to Toyota Avalon, Ford Taurus, and one of those FWD Buicks.
I don't have the had numbers right in front of me, but from what I've seen in my area (Washington, D.C. suburbs) the new Taurus doesn't seem to be selling very well either. Part of the Azera's problem was that, like the XG300/350 that preceeded it, it was never a big seller to start with, and, ever since the Genesis came out, the hype that the Genesis sedan has received in the auto press has just overwhelmed the Azera.

one of those FWD Buicks
FWD, or, in a few cases, AWD is the only way that Buicks come now. There are no more production RWD Buicks in the American market. They went out with the long-defunct Roadmaster and the RWD versions of the Chevy-Trailblazer-based Buick Rainier.
Old 05-16-11, 09:32 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

A solid review all around. This SUV is a safe bet for anyone if you are okay with the styling. I personally like the overall shape of the body, but agree the front end looks strange. Your "fish mouth" description is spot-on. I wonder if removing the bar that bisects the center of the grille would help or create new problems.

Regarding AWD. Sometimes dealers cannot get all the models they want at a given time. The factory sometimes sends dealers their own stock w/o the dealer getting to choose. This can result in a dealer's poor selection of colors and/or options. This could be due to parts shortages or overages or a build-up of inventory at the factory.

Back to the AWD... Here in L.A., nearly all these mini-utes are FWD. So your dealer's selection would go over well here.

Last edited by Fizzboy7; 05-16-11 at 10:23 PM.
Old 05-16-11, 10:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
A solid review all around.
Thanks. I put a lot of time and effort into them. Still, I sometimes make an error, typo, or leave out a piece of data that should be included.

This SUV is a safe bet for anyone if you are okay with the styling. I personally like the overall shape of the body, but agree the front end looks strange. Your "fish mouth" description is spot-on. I wonder if removing the bar that bisects the center of the grille would help or create new problems.
A good enough vehicle (and good quality), under the skin, though, can sometimes atone for the sins of carelessness in the styling....or what some buyers would consider carelessness. Some Acura products, for example, are excellent vehicles under the controversial surface-styling....though the ZDX, granted, is stretching it.

Regarding AWD. Sometimes dealers cannot get all the models they want at a given time. The factory sometimes sends dealers their own stock w/o the dealer getting to chose. This can result in dealer's poor selection of colors and/or options. This could be due to parts shortages or overages or a build-up of inventory at the factory.
And, unlike Sonatas, Tucsons are not built here in America. They come from a plant in Ulsan, South Korea, and American-market models are shipped across the Pacific.

Back to the AWD... Here in L.A., nearly all these mini-utes are FWD. So your dealer's selection would go over well here.
True, in L.A., snow and ice is not often on the roads, unless you get up in the mountains north of the city. But AWD is also a help on wet roads and in heavy rain, and SoCal gets some pretty heavy winter rainstorms off the Pacific.
Old 05-16-11, 10:51 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Hyundai, I thought, had pretty good styling (or at least OK), up to last year. Then, IMO, they blew it with the latest Sonata, Elantra, Accent, and Tucson. They've also made the newest models ride a little stiffer, but it has helped the handling a little.
I just feel the old styling was so uninspiring. seems a lot of automakers are going through a design identity crisis right now. As for the stiffer suspension, my own thoughts are Hyundai in recent years has begun to move it's image more upmarket. Not luxury by any means, but certainly more upscale. With model additions like the Genesis and Equus meanwhile corporate cousin Kia (IMO) is catered more to the general public. For comparisons sake, Dodge is to Kia as Chrysler is to Hyundai. I may get bashed for saying that, but Chrysler is "the gussied up" version of Dodge much like Hyundai is to Kia. Same goes for say Chevy and Buick and Ford and the now defunct Mercury brand. Anyway back to the suspension thing, did you ever notice in your reviews of the Sonata and Optima the suspension tuning differences?

I agree that Honda is not a styling champion by any means. They seem to excel in assembly-precision and build-quality more than anything else. But some of their vehicles definitely look awkward. And the insect-like front end of the Fit is downright weird.
Agreed about the build quality of the Honda. They are very well put together. For what it's worth, I feel Lexus has really cheapened their interiors in terms of build quality and materials used. I really like the design of the interiors, but I feel the new ones are lacking. For instance I work at an automall (Lexus, Acura, Infiniti, BMW, Mini) and get to experience a wide range of models and years. Case in point, I get into a 2005 ES330 and (though I prefer the look of say a 2009 ES350) the materials are more sturdy, and the fit and finish is excellent. There are way more durable materials than cheap plastics in the older model. One thing that I love is there are NO panel gaps between pieces. My 2008 IS350 has terrible panel gaps especially over the navigation and center vents. Grrr cost cutting. Another example is the RX. My moms 2008 RX350 just feels more solid than the 2010. Anyway yeah the Honda's are a far cry from designer dreams, but they are held together well.

Yes, there are a few nice things about the new interior, such as color-coordination and multi-tones, but the trim materials are cheap, and there is way too much hard-plastic.
Like I mentioned above about the Lexus's, I like the new design of the interiors, but the materials are beginning to cheapen. Despite it though, I'm still one of those guys that is willing to sacrifice functionality for looks

Have you driven the Tuscon's base N/A 2.0 to verify its being adequate? I didn't have a chance to sample it myself, as few of them are in stock locally. But the larger 2.4L was just adequate for lighter loads and level surfaces........with AWD, I wouldn't want it in the hills or heavily loaded.
I'm sorry I have not driven the Tuscon yet. No your right, I'm sure the 2.0 is a dog. The EPA numbers just look better on the window sticker am I right hah. Funny the Jeep Compass uses a 2.0 base and a 2.4 optional 4. Of course the Tucson kicks the Compass to the curb in almost every category. On a side note, last generation didn't Chrysler, Hyundai and Mitsubishi share engine tech namely the old 2.4L?

Yes, IS-SV said he also is waiting to see it as well. I've always liked the Escape.....in fact, I helped a neighbor of mine shop for one. I will probably review the new one when it becomes available here. It will likely have some elements from the new Focus platform. (I know you'll probably post a review of one as soon as you see one printed)

It's too bad that its Mazda Tribute and and Mercury Mariner twins will be gone.
Yes please do review it when it comes out !!! Admittedly I am very biased, I love Ford. Pretty much the only vehicles my immediate and extended family ever purchased/drove. Grew up on them and love'em. Lucky to say we never had problems. My 03' Explorer has been a great truck. Albeit my aunt did have a Subaru Outback for the longest time hah!

Yeah the Mazda Tribute didn't seem to garnish much attention (same with the Mariner). I figured if I ever got one of those, I'd just opt for the Escape. Before my IS350 I actually fell in love with the CX-7 (I know not many like it). It was Halloween night and rainy for that matter, last day of the month so the sales people were hungry for a sale, and I was on the phone with the sales guy blk on blk CX-7 with tech package we had worked out a deal and he was getting all the info right before the dealer closed (9pm). Anyway 9pm hit and the computer system shut down. I took it as an omen that I wasn't supposed to get the car. As fate would have it, a few months later I fell in love with my IS350 hah!!!

Well, to be fair, it's an excellent car, mechanically under the skin. It's just the new skin that, IMO, could use some improvement. But Kia, to its credit, managed to produce an even better version, and, of course, a better-looking skin as well.
Agreed, it's a great car with a class leading powertrain, but looks are left to be desired IMO. It just has some awkward angles I don't know how to describe it.

I don't have the had numbers right in front of me, but from what I've seen in my area (Washington, D.C. suburbs) the new Taurus doesn't seem to be selling very well either. Part of the Azera's problem was that, like the XG300/350 that preceeded it, it was never a big seller to start with, and, ever since the Genesis came out, the hype that the Genesis sedan has received in the auto press has just overwhelmed the Azera.
Very true the Taurus hasn't done much in sales. I still think the Ford Mondeo/Falcon would be nice replacments. The Azera like some Honda's or Toyota's just seems rather bland, and with major discounts on say American counterparts I see why consumers who just need a car were more inclined to buy say a Chevy Malibu (yuk lol). Consumer reports for the most part always gave the Azera a good rating.

FWD, or, in a few cases, AWD is the only way that Buicks come now. There are no more production RWD Buicks in the American market. They went out with the long-defunct Roadmaster and the RWD versions of the Chevy-Trailblazer-based Buick Rainier.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah I wasn't sure what to say. Is the new Regal or Lacrosse considered more a Sonata competitor. The Lucerne is now gone the way of the dodo right? I'd be curious in the years to come if (I've heard rumors) they start building the line-up to include some convertibles and perhaps a coupe into their stable. I could see a RWD SLK competitor as a possibility

Last edited by Hoovey689; 05-16-11 at 10:55 PM.
Old 05-16-11, 11:00 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dont like it
Old 05-17-11, 03:28 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And, unlike Sonatas, Tucsons are not built here in America. They come from a plant in Ulsan, South Korea, and American-market models are shipped across the Pacific.
Agreed.

Here in the Philippines, the backlog for orders has reached to waiting time of as much as six months (with seven months waiting for the 2.0 Diesel models).

It's really hot in demand (with cheap pricing locally partly responsible for that) but yeah, the supply just can't keep up that much

Btw mmarshall, I've test driven one last month (2.0 CRDi 4WD GLS Premium) and it felt like a blast. Their new R 2.0 CRDI engine really packs a punch for such a small engine.

Indeed, diesel engines have come a long way from their dark past of being dirty and noisy. Right now, they're starting to make a comeback and the diesel engine of the Tucson ix is proof of that.

I'll hope to post a short review before the month ends
Old 05-17-11, 06:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Btw mmarshall, I've test driven one last month (2.0 CRDi 4WD GLS Premium) and it felt like a blast. Their new R 2.0 CRDI engine really packs a punch for such a small engine.

Indeed, diesel engines have come a long way from their dark past of being dirty and noisy. Right now, they're starting to make a comeback and the diesel engine of the Tucson ix is proof of that.

I'll hope to post a short review before the month ends
Thanks. I'll be looking forward to your post.

Unfortunately, we don't get many diesels here in the U.S.......most manufacturers just won't send the ones they sell in Europe and Asia. The few we do get come mostly from VW, Mercedes, and BMW.
Old 05-17-11, 08:20 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

it looks several times better than old Tucson, but I dont think it will age as well as CRV or Rav4... IMHO I liked it a lot better when I first saw it than today, as time passes it looks just like too much of design exercise.

But nevertheless, all these new Hyundai's look a lot better than before and like genuine contenders for my money, where I would never get an old model... ever.
Old 05-17-11, 08:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
it looks several times better than old Tucson, but I dont think it will age as well as CRV or Rav4... IMHO I liked it a lot better when I first saw it than today, as time passes it looks just like too much of design exercise.

But nevertheless, all these new Hyundai's look a lot better than before and like genuine contenders for my money, where I would never get an old model... ever.
That's, of course, subjective, and I respect your opinion. But, to me, the new fishy-face front-end and block-your-vison D-pillars just don't cut it. And the old Tucson, with its cute puppy-dog looks up front, helped define the very definition of Cute-Ute.

Old 05-17-11, 09:31 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

New Sportage and current CRV looks much better to my eyes (subjective of course).

Anybody heard if Sportage turbo 4 will end up on the Tucson later?
Old 05-17-11, 09:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV

Anybody heard if Sportage turbo 4 will end up on the Tucson later?
Not a true replacement for a V6, IMO, even if it comes. But automakers, outside of diesels and hybrids, are sometimes being forced into smaller powerplants because of the new CAFE and emission rules. You can thank Obama and Congress for that, but that's another story, and best left for another thread.
Old 05-17-11, 09:54 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Not a true replacement for a V6, IMO, even if it comes. But automakers, outside of diesels and hybrids, are sometimes being forced into smaller powerplants because of the new CAFE and emission rules. You can thank Obama and Congress for that, but that's another story, and best left for another thread.
I won't waste my time spewing political rhetoric on this topic.

A V6 won't increase sales significantly, because when customers are buying in this class, they choose a 4 banger 90+% of time .

My question still stands (and you don't need to answer it unless you actually have the answer, thanks).
Old 05-17-11, 02:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Next planned reviews:

2011 Chevrolet Volt (if possible)

2011 Nissan Leaf (if possible)

2012 Ford Escape (when released)

2012 Subaru Impreza (when released)

The Volt and the Leaf may be difficult to test-drive because of the way they are marketed and sold/leased. The Leaf, right now, is only ordered and sold on-line; it is not kept in stock at D.C.-area Nissan dealerships. Test-driving a Volt may be slightly easier, but still requires some hunting and/or reserving.

Quick Reply: MM Review: 2011 Hyundai Tucson