Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Are they kidding?.....42-46K (base) for the 2012 Acura TL.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-11, 01:38 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
You were telling us the Murano convertible isn't bad and now the TL looks as good as a 3GS? Any car with a drop and bigger rims looks better, sadly the entire car is bad ,not just the grill.

Whats really funny is you defending the TL which is an American car. Its designed in California, is sold in America, its made in Ohio, its as American as a Buick, Chevy, Ford. You hate American cars, you should hate this. Instead it has the Acura badge and you are defending it.

Basically. Ugly car is ugly, lipstick on a pig is still a pig.
how did I know you were going to respond to my post? what you are missing is that its all subjective and based on the eye of the beholder. This goes for your comments and mine. Im sure you can understand that. Me defending Acura is no different than your inability to criticize Lexus. Its just bias. I have at least learned to admit it. LOL
Old 05-12-11, 01:41 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by speedflex
Backing up a bit. I had no idea they used to sell in the area of 70K a year!

The previous TL was a wonderful car. Italian good looks and great lines. The right size and the perfect FWD sporty car. May it rest in peace.
The last gen TL was perfect, a simply wonderful car. I still look at them today, simply an all time great design inside and out. The TL and ES fought for the top sales sedan spot from Japan for a few years (we posted figures somewhere here) at their best right at 70k a year. The TL was the best seller I believe 2 maybe 3 years, a first as the ES has been the best selling Japanese luxury sedan since 1993 or so. The redesigned ES 350 kept selling well while TL sales went down and then this generation comes and sales absolutely plummet. Dealers hate the current car, it was their volume car that now rusts on dealer lots. A true example on how not to market/design your best selling product.

You have a serious issue when
1. Your new styling direction is laughed at
2. Your volume car now sells at 50% of the rate as the last model

Acura hopes to sell 50,000 units of the refreshed model but I think they are still not in touch with reality.
Originally Posted by I8ABMR
how did I know you were going to respond to my post? what you are missing is that its all subjective and based on the eye of the beholder. This goes for your comments and mine. Im sure you can understand that. Me defending Acura is no different than your inability to criticize Lexus. Its just bias. I have at least learned to admit it. LOL
Right, I've never criticized Lexus. That is absolutely ridiculous. Clearly some people like the design, they did sell them and if you read my post I stated how early adopters that had the courage to buy it now are pissed b/c Acura has now retreated on the design.

If there are 100 people and 90-95 people think the car is ugly, guess what its ugly. If you like it, thats fine, you just like an ugly car. Its not the first time some people like an ugly car and it won't be the last time. I like the Panamera, guess what, its ugly and I'm not going to try to explain to people its a beauty and "oh its subjective". Every publication and forum has pretty much blasted the Panamera design but guess what, people still like it.

If you like ugly, just say "hey, yeah its ugly but I like it".

Last edited by LexFather; 05-12-11 at 01:46 PM.

Old 05-12-11, 01:44 PM
TLe2006
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You were telling us the Murano convertible isn't bad and now the TL looks as good as a 3GS? Any car with a drop and bigger rims looks better, sadly the entire car is bad ,not just the grill.

Whats really funny is you defending the TL which is an American car. Its designed in California, is sold in America, its made in Ohio, its as American as a Buick, Chevy, Ford. You hate American cars, you should hate this. Instead it has the Acura badge and you are defending it.

Basically. Ugly car is ugly, lipstick on a pig is still a pig.
For the past few years Acura sold some of the ugliest cars in the market but those pix actually look decent before you see the grill and it can't even catch a break from you.
Old 05-12-11, 01:45 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

The last gen TL was perfect, a simply wonderful car. I still look at them today, simply an all time great design inside and out. The TL and ES fought for the top sales sedan spot from Japan for a few years (we posted figures somewhere here) at their best right at 70k a year. The TL was the best seller I believe 2 maybe 3 years, a first as the ES has been the best selling Japanese luxury sedan since 1993 or so. The redesigned ES 350 kept selling well while TL sales went down and then this generation comes and sales absolutely plummet. Dealers hate the current car, it was their volume car that now rusts on dealer lots. A true example on how not to market/design your best selling product.

You have a serious issue when
1. Your new styling direction is laughed at
2. Your volume car now sells at 50% of the rate as the last model

Acura hopes to sell 50,000 units of the refreshed model but I think they are still not in touch with reality.

Sad but very very true. Did they get a new design team over the last 2 generations? Is that they are designed here in the states. Just curious...
Old 05-12-11, 01:52 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
[/B]

Sad but very very true. Did they get a new design team over the last 2 generations? Is that they are designed here in the states. Just curious...
Whats crazy is the 2G Legend and TL are beautiful, classy, understated damn near timeless sedan designs. They should make those teams design EVERYTHING.

Sadly Acura opened their own design studio in California and since Acura is an American brand everything is for American tastes, by Americans, for Americans. I guess they want to say we like ugly cars.
http://world.honda.com/news/2007/c07...aDesignStudio/

Their head designer

Amazing to think this was their concept to introduce their styling direction 3 or 4 years ago How the HELL did this pass and get approved?

Old 05-12-11, 02:13 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I was pretty sure they opened up a design studio in Cali. Seems like the boys at Acura are smoking that California dispensary stuff. They probably got it prescribed due to anxiety and depression from dismal sales numbers. LOL. Thanks for confirming the info. I think the design team should be on the unemployment line
Old 05-13-11, 01:17 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
hehe notice how the pictures didn't include the grille?
I agree. I think the TL looks pretty good from the side. It's the grill, lower air dam, and the rear end the messes the whole thing up.
Old 05-13-11, 11:20 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree. Once you get under the ugly skin, the TL is an excellent car...arguably the best-built car in its class. But I consider a 41-45K price tag a little high....considering that new RLs, despite their 50K price-tags, can be had for the same money or slightly more.

Yes. It simply does not sell enough for the market to justify its 50K price tag, so it is heavily discounted. You can essentially buy one for an TL SH-AWD money.
mmarshall, you do know it was a mistake in "Road and Track" that the TL bases for 42-46K. On the Acura website the 2012 TL bases at $35,605 not 42K or more which considering what the car offers is still less then most of its competition. You would have to load the base 280hp TL up with the Advance and Technology package just to get it to $41,500. The SHAWD TL bases at around 39K, you would have to load up the SHAWD TL with the Advance/Tech package to get it to 45K.
http://www.acura.com/modellanding.aspx?model=tl

I like the RL too, maybe more then the TL SHAWD refresh, the interior design, solidness, and attention to detail in the RL is what really impresses me but many of the ones I see on the lots are still a good deal more expensive then a SHAWD TL even if the dealer discounts the RL.
Old 05-13-11, 05:13 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

MMarshall, I'm surprised you didn't cross check the price facts with Acura.com before posting in outrage regardiing the price of the TL, as you're usually pretty thorough.

I think the title of the thread needs to be updated, as it's been clarified that the Base price is not $42K
Old 05-13-11, 05:33 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
mmarshall, you do know it was a mistake in "Road and Track" that the TL bases for 42-46K. On the Acura website the 2012 TL bases at $35,605 not 42K or more which considering what the car offers is still less then most of its competition. You would have to load the base 280hp TL up with the Advance and Technology package just to get it to $41,500. The SHAWD TL bases at around 39K, you would have to load up the SHAWD TL with the Advance/Tech package to get it to 45K.

I like the RL too, maybe more then the TL SHAWD refresh, the interior design, solidness, and attention to detail in the RL is what really impresses me but many of the ones I see on the lots are still a good deal more expensive then a SHAWD TL even if the dealer discounts the RL.
This pricing keeps the TL in the ballpark with the ES350, G37 and others that compete in the segment.
Old 05-13-11, 05:49 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I must say the car does drive really nice. I had one a few weeks back when I had my wifes TSX checked over so I can sell it. Despite how the car looks it was fun to drive and I really liked the lay out of the interior.

I still stick to what I said a few years back. The RL is going to fall off and the TL will become the flagship car for Acura. The TSX will take over what the TL once was. With no doubt the last gen TL was a great looking car but IMO it lacked a lot of quality that the prior gen had.

Acura makes a great product for the money.
Old 05-13-11, 06:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317
MMarshall, I'm surprised you didn't cross check the price facts with Acura.com before posting in outrage regardiing the price of the TL, as you're usually pretty thorough.

I think the title of the thread needs to be updated, as it's been clarified that the Base price is not $42K

Well, that's why I made a point, in the thread, about whether they were kidding or not....if I took the figures out of the thread or updated it, it would evade the central point.......that the car is not worth 40K+. Acura, to my knowledge, had not officially released the 2012 price....I did some checking, but had not seen any final figures myself. R&T's Sam Mitani posted the 41/45K figures, but didn't give a verified source for them....so I didn't, either.

I hope your figures are correct....it would be more in line with the car's actual value.
Old 05-13-11, 06:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UDel
That was pretty much the point I was making in the thread title itself......are those base prices, as reported by R&T, serious? You simply stated it in a little different (and perhaps better and more direct) manner than I did.
Old 05-13-11, 06:51 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

i will not pay a penny over $35000 for any front wheel drive car, no matter how luxurious, how technological advance and how much horse power it has, no way in hell. with that said, i still am thrilled i got an excellent deal two years ago on my wife's '09 TL Tech for $33000 before tax.
Old 05-13-11, 07:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
i will not pay a penny over $35000 for any front wheel drive car, no matter how luxurious, how technological advance and how much horse power it has, no way in hell. with that said, i still am thrilled i got an excellent deal two years ago on my wife's '09 TL Tech for $33000 before tax.
Everything-else equal, FWD cars, of course, are more power-limited than RWD or AWD because of torque-steer problems.

As far as the price goes, a lot of people apparantly don't agree with your 35K limit for a FWD car.....the popular Lexus ES350 proves that. Many of them list, with options, near 40K or more, although, of course, usually discounted a little.

Quick Reply: Are they kidding?.....42-46K (base) for the 2012 Acura TL.