Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > General Forums > Car Chat
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

The quietest cars - a great listing

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-15-13, 06:22 PM   #46
patgilm
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Maryland
Posts: 781
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNR34 View Post
How do the MPG compare between your 460 and 600 in the real world?
Normal everyday driving I get between 22-23 mpg which is a little better than my 460 which was a SWB 460. However, on the highway I actually got better gas mileage with the 460 around 28-29 mpg vs. about 27-28mpg which is marginal. I think it could be due to the weight of the 600 which is why the mileage is a little less on the highway. I get better all around driving because when I hit some lights or go in 25 mph zones it runs on battery only. It is a performance hybrid as opposed to an efficiency hybrid so gas mileage isn't great but you can feel the power when you are rolling and punch it as opposed to when you do it from a stop, which again is only marginally better than the 460. My 460 SWB handled better since you can really feel the weight of the 600.

With that being said, I love the 600. I really don't understand the market for it given the price as new is ridiculous. I only got it since I knew that almost all of them came loaded with rear seat entertainment and power rear side sunscreens for my kids as well as radar cruise, rear seat upgrade, etc. and finding that on a 460L would have been nearly impossible.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
__________________
Current Vehicles
2008 LS600hL Starfire Pearl/Cashmere (sold, best car I have owned)
2012 GX460 Premium Starfire Pearl/Sepia
2013 GTR Premium White/Black
1997 Viper GTS Blue/White Stripes (sold)
patgilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-13, 10:34 AM   #47
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (0)
 
mmarshall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Virginia
Posts: 50,029
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by patgilm View Post
With that being said, I love the 600. I really don't understand the market for it given the price as new is ridiculous.
Congratulations...quite a purchase.

The LS600h, though, expensive as it is, costs significantly less than what BMW or Mercedes would (probably) charge for a comparable hybrid-flagship. And I won't even get into Mercedes service/repair-costs....when it's not warranty or done free
__________________
mmarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-13, 02:14 PM   #48
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: So Cal
Posts: 6,364
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by patgilm View Post
Normal everyday driving I get between 22-23 mpg which is a little better than my 460 which was a SWB 460. However, on the highway I actually got better gas mileage with the 460 around 28-29 mpg vs. about 27-28mpg which is marginal. I think it could be due to the weight of the 600 which is why the mileage is a little less on the highway. I get better all around driving because when I hit some lights or go in 25 mph zones it runs on battery only. It is a performance hybrid as opposed to an efficiency hybrid so gas mileage isn't great but you can feel the power when you are rolling and punch it as opposed to when you do it from a stop, which again is only marginally better than the 460. My 460 SWB handled better since you can really feel the weight of the 600.

With that being said, I love the 600. I really don't understand the market for it given the price as new is ridiculous. I only got it since I knew that almost all of them came loaded with rear seat entertainment and power rear side sunscreens for my kids as well as radar cruise, rear seat upgrade, etc. and finding that on a 460L would have been nearly impossible.
Thank you very much for the details reply, sorry I just saw this.

Everything you said make sense. A Hybrid LS might be in the future for me too as I love the engine being off at low speed or at a stop.
BNR34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-13, 02:22 PM   #49
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (0)
 
I8ABMR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Somewhere far far away
Posts: 19,053
Default

If I dont get my GTR I have been planning on another LS460L or the big daddy 600hL. I am going to go either extreme. Congrats on the new ride. What a car!!
__________________

2010 LEXUS ISF
FEATURES:
2007 GS350

Readers Rides of the month Modified Magazine December 2009
Readers Rides Super Street Magazine June 2010

2003 INFINITI G35 Rearders Rides Super Street Magazine 7/05
2007 Lexus GS350 / 2007 Lexus LS460 / 2010 Lexus ISF
I8ABMR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-13, 02:29 PM   #50
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: So Cal
Posts: 6,364
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by I8ABMR View Post
If I dont get my GTR I have been planning on another LS460L or the big daddy 600hL. I am going to go either extreme. Congrats on the new ride. What a car!!
We are on the same page, I like it either to be dead silent or extremely loud and fast
BNR34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-13, 02:46 PM   #51
patgilm
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Maryland
Posts: 781
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by I8ABMR View Post
If I dont get my GTR I have been planning on another LS460L or the big daddy 600hL. I am going to go either extreme. Congrats on the new ride. What a car!!
Not really new to me I have had it for about a year and a half. I am in the same boat as you and BNR34 though, I plan to get rid of the 600 next year since both of my kids will be in booster seats and getting a '12 GTR. It is tough to get rid of the 600, best car I have had, but I want a sports car to daily drive and don't feel like maintaining three cars anymore.
__________________
Current Vehicles
2008 LS600hL Starfire Pearl/Cashmere (sold, best car I have owned)
2012 GX460 Premium Starfire Pearl/Sepia
2013 GTR Premium White/Black
1997 Viper GTS Blue/White Stripes (sold)
patgilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-13, 09:45 PM   #52
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (1)
 
RocketGuy3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: TX
Posts: 1,504
Send a message via AIM to RocketGuy3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjacket View Post
decibels is perceived as a doubling of noise level, so it's a big deal when leaving a Lexus..
This isn't quite true. Three decibels is the smallest amount that is typically perceptible. ~10 decibels is approximately double the perceptible volume.

What you might be thinking of is that it takes approximately double the SPL or power to create a 3 dB increase in sound output.
__________________
2007 Matador Red IS 350
Factory options: Luxury Package | Nav & ML
"Extras": Sapphire Black AME Tracer FS-01's, 18x8.5" & 18x9.0" | Tein CS coilovers with EDFC | F-Sport Sway Bars | FIGS 90-durometer front LCA bushings | HKS Hi-Power exhaust | Joe-Z intake pipe | GFX front lip | Red-out tail lights | Huper Optik 30% all around | Vaistech SLI iPod integration
Next up: Just some paint and body work, and then she is COMPLETE
RocketGuy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-13, 05:51 AM   #53
bagwell
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (0)
 
bagwell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: back in crappy Houston :(
Posts: 7,466
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcf8000 View Post
Were all of the measurements taken with the vehicles traveling over the same road surface? With the same wind speed and direction? I think not. Also, has has been noted, the tires make a huge difference.
yep too many variables to be truly accurate.

yes the same road could be used for every test -- and the wind, you could argue, to test only on "calm" days but IMO to be 99% accurate it would be impossible (due to sizing) and/or cost too much to swap out tires to the exact same model...and even then you have defects in the tires too
__________________
2010 Acura TSX: 18 inch Gun Metal A-specs, Eibach Pro-Kit, Koni Yellow Shocks, 5000K OSRAM, LED everything
2010 Audi A5 2.0T Quattro, Sport Pkg w/19 inch, B&O, Bi-Xenon

Last edited by bagwell; 08-27-13 at 06:40 AM..
bagwell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-13, 05:51 AM
 
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
70, bmw, cars, cruise, cruising, db, jaguar, level, lexus, mph, noise, quiet, quietest, the, xf

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New ES350 Owner w/pics JohnS ES350 (2007 - 2012) 20 03-14-14 06:19 PM
quiet coilovers? stlgrym3 Suspension and Brakes 2 12-08-13 12:41 PM
LS430 vs Avalon - Comprehensive Review SerasLibre LS430 36 12-26-12 08:39 AM
First Lexus Purchase - 2003 ES 300 andybisnut ES300 and ES330 21 08-28-12 08:19 PM
NC FS (Charlotte NC): Fsport Exhaust + Megan MID Pipes nMeOnE 2Gen IS250 / IS350 / IS-F Classifieds (06-13) 19 08-14-12 04:49 PM

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:23 PM.

Join ClubLexus
Advertising


Copyright © 2000-2008 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Terms of Use | JOBS


Get all contact info