Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The quietest cars - a great listing

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-13, 09:30 AM
Megafast13
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Tires are almost everything. Just the difference from Bridgestone Potenza's to Michelin Primacy's on my 02 ES was night and day. Cars today offer 2-3 difference OEM tire brands, all which are way different. Very subjective.

My father put the highest quality Michelin's on his Chevy Impala and old Mecury and it drives like a luxury car to an extent.

Haven't personally been in a more quiet and sealed cabin than the LS460. Very nice.

Loudest, I'd say Ferrari F430 with the engine purring right behind you
Old 08-14-13, 09:33 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

After I bought my LS430 Ultra, one of the quietest car money can buy, I test drove all the cars that I think that might be quieter, I have yet find a car that is quieter, the best they can do is matched the LS430.

Cars that I drove that are worth mentioning.

Bentley Turbo R, Arnage R, Arnage T, Continental Flying Spur.
BMW 750Li.
AMG CL63

My feeling is all new modern BMWs are really quiet, those old Bentley are pretty noisy, a lot of hypes. I think the Lexus LS is the quietest car that can be made humanly possible. The only cars that could be quieter that I haven't drove is the RR Phantom, Ghost and Bentley Mulsanne.

Until now, I finally drove a car that feels noticeably quieter, the Tesla Model S.

My conclusion is, the only way to make a car quieter then the Lexus LS, is with electric power. I love the Model S
Old 08-14-13, 12:15 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
After I bought my LS430 Ultra, one of the quietest car money can buy, I test drove all the cars that I think that might be quieter, I have yet find a car that is quieter, the best they can do is matched the LS430.

Cars that I drove that are worth mentioning.

Bentley Turbo R, Arnage R, Arnage T, Continental Flying Spur.
BMW 750Li.
AMG CL63

My feeling is all new modern BMWs are really quiet, those old Bentley are pretty noisy, a lot of hypes. I think the Lexus LS is the quietest car that can be made humanly possible. The only cars that could be quieter that I haven't drove is the RR Phantom, Ghost and Bentley Mulsanne.

Until now, I finally drove a car that feels noticeably quieter, the Tesla Model S.

My conclusion is, the only way to make a car quieter then the Lexus LS, is with electric power. I love the Model S
Just curious, may I know what tires are on your LS? I'm interested in finding a nice set of quiet tires.
Old 08-14-13, 12:21 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jwong77
Just curious, may I know what tires are on your LS? I'm interested in finding a nice set of quiet tires.
I have Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum, I love how they ride, but not necessarily the quietest tires available.
Old 08-14-13, 01:39 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

very cool when a Lexus does anything better than a Rolls Royce Phantom. Especially when its a feature that a luxury car is supposed to be excellent at and considering the double floors in the Phantom and the INSANE insulation. I almost find it hard to believe but I have never ridden in a 600hL
Old 08-14-13, 01:47 PM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum, I love how they ride, but not necessarily the quietest tires available.
< these were my last set on the LS, lasted almost 40k, switched to Michelin Defenders just a couple weeks ago. Big difference in how quiet they are, but some sacrifice in the performance category, a much softer sidewall -BUT I am so glad to have my quiet ride back.
Old 08-15-13, 09:29 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Marklouis
< these were my last set on the LS, lasted almost 40k, switched to Michelin Defenders just a couple weeks ago. Big difference in how quiet they are, but some sacrifice in the performance category, a much softer sidewall -BUT I am so glad to have my quiet ride back.
The LX Platinum is already pretty soft, the Defenders is even softer?

I do like to have a quieter tire, but don't want to pay the Michelin prices.
Old 08-15-13, 09:39 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Marklouis
I just checked, the Defender don't even come in my stock 18" size. You must have the 17" wheels on your LS430.

Maybe I will try the MXV4 next time. But I don't think I want anything softer then the LX Platinum though.
Old 08-15-13, 09:45 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
very cool when a Lexus does anything better than a Rolls Royce Phantom. Especially when its a feature that a luxury car is supposed to be excellent at and considering the double floors in the Phantom and the INSANE insulation. I almost find it hard to believe but I have never ridden in a 600hL
Is easy to believe, the 600 is partially run on electric power, the loudest electric motor is still quieter then the quietest V12.

Also RR is just a famous high end brand name, engineering wise I believe Toyota is superior in many ways.

The 600hL is quieter and maybe a better car then the Phantom is not surprising to me. The Phantom just have much more brand cachet, or nicer looking wood panels.

Last edited by BNR34; 08-15-13 at 12:18 PM.
Old 08-15-13, 12:07 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Is easy to believe, the 600 is partially run on electric power, the loudest electric motor is still quieter then the quietest V12.

Also RR is just a famous high end brand name, engineering wise I believe Toyota is superior in many ways.

The 600hL is quieter and maybe a better car then the Phantom is not surprising to me. The Phantom just have much more brand superiority, or nicer looking wood panels.
that sounds like a bit of a stretch, but ok

Have you seen the making of the Phantom. Its a different kind of world from the Tahara plant. As LS is made in a lot less time, does not use the same level of materials, leather, or even quality control. Im not saying the 600hL is a Chevy but .......

We are talking decibels and not total quality here. There is no other car like Rolls Royce on the planet and we all know it goes far beyond just the name. Just like they say at RR.." We make the best car in the world ". I would agree and so would a lot of others
Old 08-15-13, 12:24 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

that sounds like a bit of a stretch, but ok

Have you seen the making of the Phantom. Its a different kind of world from the Tahara plant. As LS is made in a lot less time, does not use the same level of materials, leather, or even quality control. Im not saying the 600hL is a Chevy but .......

We are talking decibels and not total quality here. There is no other car like Rolls Royce on the planet and we all know it goes far beyond just the name. Just like they say at RR.." We make the best car in the world ". I would agree and so would a lot of others
Cadillac say they are "Standard of the world", does it mean anything?

RR is made by hand, they work slow, they take their time. LS is made by robot that never make mistakes, unless the software crashes

I agree the Phantom uses higher level of materials, wood, leather.......etc.

Quality control goes to the LS also, the Japanese are relentless.

Don't get me wrong, I love the image of RR and Bentley, but after driven many Bentleys, they really aren't all that engineering wise.

I really believe the Lexus LS have higher quality, but RR is definitely much cooler.

Just like Ferrari vs. the LFA. The LFA have higher quality and is better engineered, but Ferrari are wayyyy cooler. Ferrari quality control are horrible!
Old 08-15-13, 12:35 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Cadillac say they are "Standard of the world", does it mean anything?

RR is made by hand, they work slow, they take their time. LS is made by robot that never make mistakes, unless the software crashes

I agree the Phantom uses higher level of materials, wood, leather.......etc.

Quality control goes to the LS also, the Japanese are relentless.

Don't get me wrong, I love the image of RR and Bentley, but after driven many Bentleys, they really aren't all that engineering wise.

I really believe the Lexus LS have higher quality, but RR is definitely much cooler.

Just like Ferrari vs. the LFA. The LFA have higher quality and is better engineered, but Ferrari are wayyyy cooler. Ferrari quality control are horrible!
I see your point. Sounds like you have been fortunate enough to have experience directly. I drove a Phantom drop head once for about 3 miles only and I thought I was a movie star in that thing. Its so big and you sit so high. The ride quality blew my mind . Good to know then that my LS is still pretty solid.
Old 08-15-13, 01:20 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

I see your point. Sounds like you have been fortunate enough to have experience directly. I drove a Phantom drop head once for about 3 miles only and I thought I was a movie star in that thing. Its so big and you sit so high. The ride quality blew my mind . Good to know then that my LS is still pretty solid.
Yes I am pretty fortunate to be able to experienced quite a few exotic vehicles. Believe me most of them are mostly hypes and images, they really do seems higher quality because of their looks and images. But if you REALLY try to ignore their image and hype and really examine their quality and refinement, they are not any higher then the Lexus LS.

I really believe Toyota have gone all the way humanly possible on the Lexus LS as far as quality and refinement goes.
Old 08-15-13, 01:57 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

My LS600 is really quiet to the point that sometimes if I am going slow I have to look to see if it is on electric or gas power and notice it is gas. I had a LS460 before the 600 and I thought it was all in my head that the 600 was quieter but it looks like it is not just in my head. Of course the tires I have suck so I started hearing them more as they wore down (Pirelli pzero rosso). Can't wait to get new tires before this winter.
Old 08-15-13, 05:25 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by patgilm
My LS600 is really quiet to the point that sometimes if I am going slow I have to look to see if it is on electric or gas power and notice it is gas. I had a LS460 before the 600 and I thought it was all in my head that the 600 was quieter but it looks like it is not just in my head. Of course the tires I have suck so I started hearing them more as they wore down (Pirelli pzero rosso). Can't wait to get new tires before this winter.
How do the MPG compare between your 460 and 600 in the real world?

Quick Reply: The quietest cars - a great listing