Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Nissan to make next NY taxi

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-11, 12:43 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by gray_es300
When i was in NYC i saw a few rx450h taxis, i'd much rather have one of those haha
interesting thing is that this car will be priced starting at $30k, and except for the height, it is Corolla sized.
Old 05-06-11, 07:50 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a neat thing for Nissan
Old 05-06-11, 08:18 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
interesting thing is that this car will be priced starting at $30k, and except for the height, it is Corolla sized.
what is corolla size
Old 05-06-11, 08:55 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Corolla-sized? what do you base that on? the first pic makes it look much bigger.
Old 05-06-11, 10:35 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Corolla-sized? what do you base that on? the first pic makes it look much bigger.
Below are the specifications I found on the Nissan UK website for the NV200 (http://www.nissan.co.uk/GB/en/vehicles/lcv/NV200.html).

The figures for the Corolla are from Toyota Canada's brochure for the 2010 Corolla.

Length:
NV200: 4400mm / 173.23"
Corolla: 4540mm / 178.74"

Width (not including mirrors):
NV200: 1695mm / 66.73"
Corolla: 1760mm / 69.29"

Wheelbase:
NV200: 2725mm / 107.28"
Corolla: 2600mm / 102.36"

Height:
NV200: 1860mm / 73.23"
Corolla: 1465mm / 57.68"

As you can see, the (North American) Corolla is actually longer and wider.

Make the NV200 a bit longer (to increase interior cargo room) and smooth out the styling and it would make a nice family wagon. With the flat floor of a minivan, it would be easier to get in and out than a similarly-sized CUV (especially if it had a 3rd-row of seats), and with the narrower width than a North American minivan, it would be easier to manoeuvre in urban parking lots.
Old 05-06-11, 10:52 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
“low-annoyance horn with exterior lights that indicate when the vehicle is honking,”
It's a taxi. Drivers are going to rip that horn out and replace it with something extra-annoying.

Originally Posted by Joeb427
That interior is going to get filthy.
Ditto. It's a taxi. Maybe they can hose it out every day like the monkey cage at the zoo.

Suggestion: same goes for the drivers.

Old 05-12-11, 03:07 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can't wait for these things to start rolling out in the streets of NYC. There is no reason for Crown Vics to be used as taxis here. They get 12mpg and their old, big V8 engines cause a lot of pollution. These 4-bangers (the NV200s are made to be able to be retrofitted with electric motors once they become available) make much more sense. More room inside, less room outside, cleaner, more efficient, its a good move for NYC. Although I too really liked the RX450h taxis. I spoke to the driver when I got in one and his answer was since he has to drive around all day might as well do it in style and comfortably. LOL.
Old 05-12-11, 04:58 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

I'm going to miss the Crown Victoria, though. This is purely because of nostalgic reasons. To me it has become a sort of daily symbol of New York - those big yellow taxis (sort of like the Checker cabs of the 1950s-19b0s).

Then again, the Crown Victoria was inefficient from the start. Come to think of it, we never had efficient taxis in the US.

Anyone remember the '70s?

Old 05-12-11, 05:04 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DustinV
Then again, the Crown Victoria was inefficient from the start. Come to think of it, we never had efficient taxis in the US.
I don't know who thought that a taxi in stop and go traffic for its entire life should have a big V8. And it's amazing that was the case for so long.
Old 05-12-11, 05:06 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I don't know who thought that a taxi in stop and go traffic for its entire life should have a big V8. And it's amazing that was the case for so long.
Gasoline has generally been cheap for so long which meant that fuel efficiency was never an issue.

But times change. Now, fuel economy and emissions are probably the two most talked-about criteria in the automotive business today.
Old 05-12-11, 09:19 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Burning less then half the gas doing the same job and not leaking oil, the city streets are coated in oil
Old 05-12-11, 09:25 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

These new taxis look nice. It's way better than those Crown Vics they use.
Old 05-13-11, 10:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X
These new taxis look nice. It's way better than those Crown Vics they use..
No, it's not necessarily better, IMO. They used Crown Vics in NYC for a reason. The large, full-frame and stoutly-built steering/suspension components that these cars have are quite resistant to the pounding they take every day on NYC's awful beat-up roads, full of potholes. That's also one of the reasons, among many, why cops liked the Crown Vic....it could take the punishment of rough conditions and high-speed pursuit. Many smaller, unibody vehicles can't.
Old 05-13-11, 02:47 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No, it's not necessarily better, IMO. They used Crown Vics in NYC for a reason. The large, full-frame and stoutly-built steering/suspension components that these cars have are quite resistant to the pounding they take every day on NYC's awful beat-up roads, full of potholes. That's also one of the reasons, among many, why cops liked the Crown Vic....it could take the punishment of rough conditions and high-speed pursuit. Many smaller, unibody vehicles can't.
not really... they were cheap and bountiful... they use Prius's now as taxi's in many cities with beaten roads and they work just fine despite aluminium suspensions....
Old 05-13-11, 07:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

not really... they were cheap and bountiful... they use Prius's now as taxi's in many cities with beaten roads and they work just fine despite aluminium suspensions....
Crown Vics weren't what I would call cheap, though, for cars that big, they are indeed reasonably-priced.....and taxi-companies, like police/law enforcement and rental-car-firms, usually buy Crown-Vics in fleet-orders, getting an additional discount on each car.

Yes, I've seen Prius taxicabs too (we have some here in the D.C. suburbs), but I haven't seen many downtown, where the roads in D.C. are torn up like they are in NYC. And, though I don't live in Europe like you do, from what I understand, roads in Europe's cities are in considerably better shape than those here in the Northeast U.S. and the Snow Belt. In Michigan, for example, roads can be like the cratered surface of the moon.

Quick Reply: Nissan to make next NY taxi