Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Review: 2011 Buick Regal

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-14, 02:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I had a chance to sit in the new Regal. It was used at a private dealer.

I was surprised how nice it was. For the first time ever I though I was not in a cheaper feeling GM car. The Regal really feels like a cut above a typical GM car. The doors were nice and heavy and material quality was a surprise.

I also like the styling. This is a sleeper type car.

Now I must point out one thing, the passenger seat had the cheapest SRT up I have ever seen in a passenger car. The forward/rear movement was manual, the recline feature was manual, but then there was this power up/down button for the height. How strange.

But overall, its a nicer car than I thought, totally different than the GM type materials and interior that I was expecting.

That's because, like the Verano, much of it is Opel-derived. It is basically an Opel Insignia with an American drivetrain and some Buick Quiet Tuning. I found its ride, at least back when I reviewed this particular one, somewhat stiffer than I like....and, IMO, somewhat out of place for a Buick. But I understand that this car is aimed primarily at sport-sedan buyers, especially the even-stiffer GS model.

As far as the seat controls go, many production Buicks are like that.....power drivers' seat and manual passenger-seat adjustments. That's one thing (among several) to help differentiate them from top-line Cadillacs....there has to be a reason why Caddies cost more.

You mentioned that you liked the interior. It was given significant update this year and is somewhat different from the 2011 one in this review.....which uses the same dash panels/gauges as the Verano.

Since I've done this review, the Regal has not sold well in the U.S. The smaller Verano, of course, undercuts it in price with essentially the same drivetrains (even a turbo/manual transmission), and the larger, softer-riding Lacrosse gets most of the traditional Buick sedan buyers (assuming they didn't leave the brand after the Lucerne was dropped, as some did).

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-17-14 at 02:32 PM.
Old 08-18-14, 01:15 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

^ Funny you mention the "funky" passenger seat controls . . .

Toyota is guilty of such shennanigans as well.

I've had a lot of seat time in my 1992 SC300, a 2000 Toyota Avalon XL, and a 2012 Camry SE V6. All three cars had power seats. The SC300 was fully loaded, ie the only thing the SC400 had on it was a V8, bigger brakes, bigger wheels/tires, a body kit and spoiler. The Avalon didn't have the leather, fake wood trim, heated seats, or sunroof, but IMO you were better off saving $3-4k, as the basic car was that damn nice. The Camry was loaded to the gills with nav, bluetooth for your phone, suede/leather sport seats with heaters, 18" wheels, sport suspension, sunroof, etc.

The driver's side on all three cars had a lumbar adjustment, something the passenger seat lacked. The driver's side on all 3 cars could be adjusted for tilt/height, ie they were "six way". The passenger seat was just 2 way, ie it only slid back and forth.